Saturday mail - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Saturday mail

  1. #11
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Maybe my view on this is skewed cause we have never had Saturday delivery, but I wouldnt want it. Our mail gets delivered to a box by our front door. I would worry if I went away for the weekend that anyone would have access to that mail. It would just be another day that we would have to have someone pick up the mail for us, and because we are more likely to go away on the weekend, it would be really inconvenient.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  2. #12
    Posting Addict boilermaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Rocky Mtns.
    Posts
    19,380

    Default

    Good move-- to save costs.

    I think the mail is amazing. For 50 cents you can send something to somebody's door in a matter of days? Awesome. Really awesome.

    Though I think they could save more if more people/neighborhoods moved to a model like our neighborhood and most of our city-- most have a "neighborhood mailbox" that you walk a block or so to to get your mail-- makes more sense than delivering to every.single.door on the street--kwim? I know it wouldn't work in rural areas, but in cities/suburbs? Absolutely.
    blather likes this.
    Audra
    DH Trey
    DD 8.03, DD 6.05, DS 3.07, DD 5.09, and DS arrived 6.17.12
    www.mamaginger.com

  3. #13
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    Good move-- to save costs.

    I think the mail is amazing. For 50 cents you can send something to somebody's door in a matter of days? Awesome. Really awesome.

    Though I think they could save more if more people/neighborhoods moved to a model like our neighborhood and most of our city-- most have a "neighborhood mailbox" that you walk a block or so to to get your mail-- makes more sense than delivering to every.single.door on the street--kwim? I know it wouldn't work in rural areas, but in cities/suburbs? Absolutely.
    That is how everything is going here. This is the first place I have lived where they deliver to the door. Apparently those letter carrier positions (in Canada) are union, so they wait until the carrier retires or quits, and then just dont replace them, put in a box. I have even seen them in some pretty rural areas, my in laws have to drive to theirs.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  4. #14
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,392

    Default

    I don't really care because I don't get much mail except junk anyways, but DH is horrified at maybe not getting a Netflix delivery for three whole days. In cities & suburbs they really should eliminate door-to-door delivery. I wouldn't mind one bit walking out to the corner for the mail, although if something were put in the wrong box it could be a disaster. We only have four boxes for our building and it seems there is always something sitting on top that got put into the wrong box. I suppose I would just drop it off at the right address on my way home & hope my neighbors would do the same.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  5. #15
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    I don't really care because I don't get much mail except junk anyways, but DH is horrified at maybe not getting a Netflix delivery for three whole days. In cities & suburbs they really should eliminate door-to-door delivery. I wouldn't mind one bit walking out to the corner for the mail, although if something were put in the wrong box it could be a disaster. We only have four boxes for our building and it seems there is always something sitting on top that got put into the wrong box. I suppose I would just drop it off at the right address on my way home & hope my neighbors would do the same.
    The box at my parents house also has a mail slot in it, so you can mail things right there. In the past I have written 'wrong address' on the envelope and then just stuck it in the mail slot so it isnt just sitting on the street. Seems to work well.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  6. #16
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,342

    Default

    I admit it. I would mind having to walk to get the mail. I am spoiled. I don't want to have to go somewhere else to get it. Can't I just love the U.S. Postal Service for what it is?
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )



    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #17
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    I never minded walking to get my mail in Canada. In February sometimes that was the only sun I got.

    But you do not get as good a service with superboxes as you do with door-to-door. Those were the first to be outsourced to contractors in Canada, and contract postal workers in Canada do not work to the same standard as union postal workers. When the snow melts you find bunches of mail in the silt.

    Where I live now I have 6-day postal service, but that is so far down the list of reasons why I love my postal service. The fact that they work hard and I trust them is what makes it for me. It's slightly more expensive than the US postal service but always in the black.

  8. #18
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    I admit it. I would mind having to walk to get the mail. I am spoiled. I don't want to have to go somewhere else to get it. Can't I just love the U.S. Postal Service for what it is?

    I'm so with you. I don't mind losing Saturday mail at all, but would HATE to not get my mail at my driveway.

  9. #19
    Posting Addict SID081108's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I'm so with you. I don't mind losing Saturday mail at all, but would HATE to not get my mail at my driveway.
    We have to walk to get ours, and because of it we only get it a couple of times a week. So it doesn't affect us at all for it to be delivered one less day, but oh how I would love to be able to get my mail at the end of my driveway. Those were the good ole' days...
    CARRIE and DH 7/14/07
    SOPHIA 8/11/08
    LAYLA 3/24/11


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions