School Cancellations (Or other services) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: School Cancellations (Or other services)

  1. #21
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    THey call ours at 5 AM. That works for me.....especially this year with no kids in AM school. I'd hate to have them cancel and get little or no bad weather ~ we head to the beach as soon as school is over so I hate tacking on beautiful summer days in school as a trade off for crappy cold winter days at home!

  2. #22
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClairesMommy View Post
    I remember the schools always being open in terrible weather even if the buses were cancelled. In fact, being at school when the buses weren't running was great because it was basically a do-whatever-you-want day. On a rare occasion school would close early because of a forecasted heavy snowfall, and in Ontario where I grew up you could set your watch by the forecast. Not so in Alberta! The saying here is...If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes.
    As a teacher it actually sucks that the schools stay open but the buses dont run. Some schools its not a big deal, as it is only one or two kids in the class, so you can pull them aside and teach them later. However, in some schools you might be missing half your class, or more. You cant teach anything new on those days, but you have to entertain the children that come. Plus, you dont get to make up any of that time to teach things, so you end up cutting units etc. One or two days isnt a big deal, but we have had years here that the buses dont run for whole weeks on end. It is based more on temperature than weather and road conditions. They dont want anyone to freeze to death waiting at the bus stop.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  3. #23
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Because we are involved in the services. I am in charge of the interpreters and DH leads part of the service. If we were not going to be there we would need to get someone to fill in for us. We also help get the word out about the service being cancelled so that people do not show up for no reason.
    I don't understand. If church was cancelled, then why would you need someone to fill in for you at church? If you mean because school was cancelled, why wouldn't you just take the kids to church with you?

    We don't have severe weather here so this isn't an issue for me, but I think 2 hours notice would be good, especially when you know there's a storm on the way; everyone is kind of in limbo to see when & where it's going to hit. There were a few schools in Marin County that closed last year due to localized flooding that closed numerous streets, and they put it out on all the local morning news shows in addition to school district automated phone calls.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  4. #24
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    I don't understand. If church was cancelled, then why would you need someone to fill in for you at church? If you mean because school was cancelled, why wouldn't you just take the kids to church with you?
    If church had not been cancelled, but we did not feel that it was safe to make it, then we would have needed to get replacements. With church cancelled, we had to let everyone know it was cancelled.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #25
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    If church had not been cancelled, but we did not feel that it was safe to make it, then we would have needed to get replacements.
    Really??? You didn't think it was safe enough for you to go, but you would ask someone else to go out and do it for you? That doesn't sound very reasonable to me. Every church I have attended has plenty of people willing to step in & help if someone doesn't show up -- for any reason. One time the priest didn't show up for a service because he was in a car accident on the way, and this was before cell phones so no one knew where he was, just that he wasn't at church. We didn't all just sit around waiting for him; one of the deacons did the service.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  6. #26
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftmom View Post
    As a teacher it actually sucks that the schools stay open but the buses dont run. Some schools its not a big deal, as it is only one or two kids in the class, so you can pull them aside and teach them later. However, in some schools you might be missing half your class, or more. You cant teach anything new on those days, but you have to entertain the children that come. Plus, you dont get to make up any of that time to teach things, so you end up cutting units etc. One or two days isnt a big deal, but we have had years here that the buses dont run for whole weeks on end. It is based more on temperature than weather and road conditions. They dont want anyone to freeze to death waiting at the bus stop.
    Aah, see here most parents actually drive their kids to the bus stop. Not because it's too cold or too far to walk; it's because (and this makes me SICK) is that our school buses are not allowed to use their stop arms and flashing lights to allow children to safely cross to get to their bus. Know why? Because, and this is a direct quote from a manager of the biggest school bus companies in the city, "it interferes with the flow of traffic". I was disgusted. Apparently it is more important for rush hour commuters to get to work as fast as possible than it is to ensure the safety of our children who are buses to and from school. It's actually written into the city by-laws.
    So, in that regard no kid freezes at a bus stop because hardly any kids are standing outside - they're all in nice warm cars.

  7. #27
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    Really??? You didn't think it was safe enough for you to go, but you would ask someone else to go out and do it for you?
    Our church also has a school and college. There are dorms where people live right there on campus.

    ~Bonita~

  8. #28
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,930

    Default

    Living in FL, we obviously don't have cancellations due to snow. But we do have cancellations due to hurricanes. Had one this year actually. My district usually cancels school around 6 PM the night before and it is announced via FB, the news, and automated phone calls. Parents have plenty of notice to make child care plans. Our schools are often used as shelters because we live inland and we have lots of families that live in mobile homes or other homes that aren't likely to withstand hurricane force winds. I prefer having notice the night before. Gives us more time to plan our hurricane parties

  9. #29
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,569

    Default

    Here it has to be called by 5am due to high schools going in earlier than middle and elementary.

  10. #30
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClairesMommy View Post
    Apparently it is more important for rush hour commuters to get to work as fast as possible than it is to ensure the safety of our children who are buses to and from school. It's actually written into the city by-laws.
    I am disgusted as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions