The scouts!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: The scouts!

  1. #1
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,486

    Default The scouts!

    Today they decided to allow gay scouts.

    Are scout leaders next?

    if not, why is it okay for a gay kid to be a scout but not be able to be a troop leader once he's 18?
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  2. #2
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    I'm so excited that they lifted the ban on gay members. Now, onto gay leaders. I think and hope that's next.

    I think not having gay leaders sends a conflicting message to all scouts.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  3. #3
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,501

    Default

    It doesn't make sense to me, either, but... it's baby steps. Hopefully they'll do the right thing soon & allow gay leaders, too. Gay boys need good, strong role models, too.
    Jessica80 and blather like this.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  4. #4
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,569

    Default

    The decision they made is better than nothing but still not good enough.
    Jessica80 and blather like this.

  5. #5
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    I'm thrilled. This is a HUGE win and a leap in the right direction. States are tripping over one another in their hurry to legalize gay marriage right now and now this.....its great.
    blather likes this.

  6. #6
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I'm thrilled. This is a HUGE win and a leap in the right direction. States are tripping over one another in their hurry to legalize gay marriage right now and now this.....its great.
    Other countries, too (legalizing gay marriage). So many in the last month. I am so glad to see the tides turning, although there has been a terrifying wave of anti-gay violence in NYC. People are beating up gay men in the west village, it's really scary.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #7
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,134

    Default

    Definitely nothing bad with forward motion...i like forward motion.

    I think its just a sign that everything will keep moving in that direction and its definitely gaining a lot of momentum as of late.

    I'm curious to know if those who are on the other side of the debate also feel that this shift towards acceptance is going to continue. Not meaning themselves individually, but in regards to our society, laws, policies etc and what they feel is the likelihood that these changes are fairly permanent.

  8. #8
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Definitely nothing bad with forward motion...i like forward motion.

    I think its just a sign that everything will keep moving in that direction and its definitely gaining a lot of momentum as of late.

    I'm curious to know if those who are on the other side of the debate also feel that this shift towards acceptance is going to continue. Not meaning themselves individually, but in regards to our society, laws, policies etc and what they feel is the likelihood that these changes are fairly permanent.
    I think the shift will continue and the changes are permanent. But I do not like the tone that "acceptance"=right.. there is much more going on here than a simple black and white answer on that.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  9. #9
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    I think the shift will continue and the changes are permanent. But I do not like the tone that "acceptance"=right.. there is much more going on here than a simple black and white answer on that.
    Well, sure, i agree. From my view its acceptance = right...so that was a little bit of bias showing through in the way i formed the question

  10. #10
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    It is the beginning of the end for the Boy Scouts. Most of the conservative members whose values the Scouts were built on will get out. Once that happens there will be no more opposition left for Gay Scout leaders and when that happens it will push even more people out. It wouldn't surprise me if they now change the Boy Scout oath and core values to match their new membership. I would be surprised if Boy Scout membership is 50% of what it is now within 5 years.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions