The scouts! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 84
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: The scouts!

  1. #31
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    If the haters are the reason why enrolment is DOWN, how on earth could that be a bad thing? I'd rather 100 open-minded members than 1000 with a few bigots thrown in. And as someone else already said, the numbers will surely grow now that gays and lesbians can feel free to join Scouts without fear of retribution.
    freddieflounder101 likes this.

  2. #32
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    I know many people who follow the Bible and believe it is the word of God and are not anti-gay. People used to use the Bible to justify racism too, you know. It's not that people with religious beliefs are supposed to cave, but people with biased, prejudiced beliefs are supposed to cave, yes. I'm all for that.
    So those who skip over those parts of the Bible are following their religious beliefs but for the people who do follow those parts of the Bible it isn't a religious belief? ooookay makes sense to me.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #33
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So those who skip over those parts of the Bible are following their religious beliefs but for the people who do follow those parts of the Bible it isn't a religious belief? ooookay makes sense to me.
    What I'm saying is it's not that anyone (Scouts-wise) is having issues with people who are religious or have religious beliefs. But it is not okay to use those beliefs to be homophobic, any more than it is okay to use those beliefs to be racist. You call it their morality that keeps gay kids out; I call it their lack of morality. In a way the new rule is supporting those with religious beliefs, because so many of them think it's great and morally right to include gay kids.
    ClairesMommy likes this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  4. #34
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Are you having the gay sex Gloria? Then you are obeying . Your fascination with how Young men self identify their sexuality is creepy. Your further need to then alienate and persecute and bully them says volumes about you. The sort of religious people I can identify with and am blessed to know are able to understand this giant glaring obvious fact. They show love to people even if they believe they are sinning, because they recognize that they sin as well. They are lovely people.

  5. #35
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    What I'm saying is it's not that anyone (Scouts-wise) is having issues with people who are religious or have religious beliefs. But it is not okay to use those beliefs to be homophobic, any more than it is okay to use those beliefs to be racist. You call it their morality that keeps gay kids out; I call it their lack of morality. In a way the new rule is supporting those with religious beliefs, because so many of them think it's great and morally right to include gay kids.
    Disagreeing with something does not make you homophobic. I'm sorry you can't say it has nothing to do with religious beliefs because it most certainly does. If you say it supports others that have DIFFERENT religious beliefs it is still about religious beliefs.
    Rivergallery likes this.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  6. #36
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Disagreeing with something does not make you homophobic. I'm sorry you can't say it has nothing to do with religious beliefs because it most certainly does. If you say it supports others that have DIFFERENT religious beliefs it is still about religious beliefs.
    if that "something" is gay rights it most certainly does.
    blather and mommytoMR.FACE like this.

  7. #37
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Disagreeing with something does not make you homophobic. I'm sorry you can't say it has nothing to do with religious beliefs because it most certainly does. If you say it supports others that have DIFFERENT religious beliefs it is still about religious beliefs.
    Disagreeing with some random something, no. Thinking gay kids should be kept out of scouts DOES make you homophobic. And my point is that the POLICY CHANGE is not about clashing with someone's religious beliefs. It may be a side effect if people's homophobia is rooted in religion, but this isn't about religion per se, because many religions including Christian ones (which is what the Boy Scouts have their origin in) do not advocate or support these anti-gay beliefs.
    Jessica80 and mommytoMR.FACE like this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  8. #38
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Disagreeing with some random something, no. Thinking gay kids should be kept out of scouts DOES make you homophobic. And my point is that the POLICY CHANGE is not about clashing with someone's religious beliefs. It may be a side effect if people's homophobia is rooted in religion, but this isn't about religion per se, because many religions including Christian ones (which is what the Boy Scouts have their origin in) do not advocate or support these anti-gay beliefs.
    IMO, many homophobes hide behind some effed up quasi-religious zealotry. It's easy to pass the buck of their own bigotry onto scripture and blame the Bible, when really religion has zippity-do to do with their hatred of gays and lesbians.

  9. #39
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Disagreeing with some random something, no. Thinking gay kids should be kept out of scouts DOES make you homophobic. And my point is that the POLICY CHANGE is not about clashing with someone's religious beliefs. It may be a side effect if people's homophobia is rooted in religion, but this isn't about religion per se, because many religions including Christian ones (which is what the Boy Scouts have their origin in) do not advocate or support these anti-gay beliefs.
    Actually it doesn't. I don't fear or hate homosexuals. So it doesn't qualify under either definition.



    ho?mo?pho?bi?a
    [hoh-muh-foh-bee-uh] Show IPA

    noun
    unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Origin:
    1955–60; homo(sexual) + -phobia

    Related forms
    ho?mo?pho?bic, adjective

    Dictionary.com Unabridged
    Based on the Random House Dictionary, ? Random House, Inc. 2013.

    World English Dictionary
    homophobia (ˌhəʊməʊˈfəʊbɪə) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]
    — n
    intense hatred or fear of homosexuals or homosexuality
    Rivergallery likes this.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  10. #40
    Posting Addict mom2robbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Sure. It is a Canadian thing also. The membership roles have already dropped there. The same will happen here.


    LifeSiteNews Mobile | The Boy Scouts should learn the lessons of the Canadian Scouts
    Did the article also mention the decrease in numbers of children period,. numbers are down for all children's activities. And I see lots of Scouts (and Girl Guides, but I am a leader) out doing things.

    I am curious to why no gay leaders? Does BSA think that gay leaders are going to try and make the boys gay? Or are they still on the gays =pedophilia

    I guess that I am so used to things here that I just don't understand why people are making a big deal about gay rights because in reality it is human rights.
    Margaret (44)
    Sean (38 )
    Robbie (8 )
    Bailey (April 2, 2011)


    "The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind." Caroline Myss

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions