Shoplifter Shot and Killed - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 231
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Shoplifter Shot and Killed

  1. #51
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,756

    Default

    It takes a special kind of idiot to take kids when you rob a place.. and even specialler to put your children in harms way.. She did that to her own children. Place blame where it lays.. the criminal. Police should not have to chase suspects regardless of the crime, or the guilt or innocence of the people.. again if an officer says stop.. you stop. and even more so if you have just committed a crime. In watching the original video I disagree that he should have shot the tires out.. THAT would have endangered the children more than shooting the criminal. (especially if it was the passenger) as Spacers indicates.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  2. #52
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    It takes a special kind of idiot to take kids when you rob a place.. and even specialler to put your children in harms way.. She did that to her own children. Place blame where it lays.. the criminal. Police should not have to chase suspects regardless of the crime, or the guilt or innocence of the people.. again if an officer says stop.. you stop. and even more so if you have just committed a crime. In watching the original video I disagree that he should have shot the tires out.. THAT would have endangered the children more than shooting the criminal. (especially if it was the passenger) as Spacers indicates.
    ITA with this, and especially the bolded. This was happening in a parking lot so there may have also been other people around who would have been put in more danger by an already out-of-control driver -- with a blown-out tire. There's a reason why cops don't toss out "spike sticks" just anywhere; they do it when other officers have been able to block enough traffic that innocent people don't get hurt while the cops are dealing with the stupid runaway criminals.
    Sapphire Sunsets likes this.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  3. #53
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    It is sounding more and more to me like he was following policy, and was in fear for his life when he shot her. This is unfortunate, but I dont believe the officer did anything wrong.

    And its actually really hard and dangerous to shoot out a tire on a moving vehicle. Its a movie stunt, not a real thing police do.
    Sapphire Sunsets and Spacers like this.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  4. #54
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    It takes a special kind of idiot to take kids when you rob a place.. and even specialler to put your children in harms way.. She did that to her own children. Place blame where it lays.. the criminal. Police should not have to chase suspects regardless of the crime, or the guilt or innocence of the people..
    There was a really sad story out here a few years ago. Parents left their children in the car while they went to steal copper wire. Only, the wire was live. Thus they were both killed. Those poor kids.

    again if an officer says stop.. you stop. and even more so if you have just committed a crime. In watching the original video I disagree that he should have shot the tires out.. THAT would have endangered the children more than shooting the criminal. (especially if it was the passenger) as Spacers indicates.
    If I know he/she an officer and it is a lawful command to stop, then yes, I will stop. If I do not know if he/she is an officer, I will not stop for him/her.

  5. #55
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftmom View Post
    It is sounding more and more to me like he was following policy, and was in fear for his life when he shot her. This is unfortunate, but I dont believe the officer did anything wrong.

    And its actually really hard and dangerous to shoot out a tire on a moving vehicle. Its a movie stunt, not a real thing police do.
    Whose policy was he following?

  6. #56
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    There was a really sad story out here a few years ago. Parents left their children in the car while they went to steal copper wire. Only, the wire was live. Thus they were both killed. Those poor kids.



    If I know he/she an officer and it is a lawful command to stop, then yes, I will stop. If I do not know if he/she is an officer, I will not stop for him/her.
    Of course they should have stopped even if the officer wasn't "in uniform" still unsure if he was. They stole, they kept going. I wouldn't steal from a store, but if someone yelled stop to me in a parkinglot, that was otherwise safe.. meaning broad daylight.. shopping with friends. YES I would stop.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  7. #57
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    Whose policy was he following?
    From the article Spacers provided:

    Quoted from Walmart: We hire off duty officers to provide security to some of our stores. While we have policies in place for our associates to disengage from situations that might put them or others in harm's way, off-duty officers working at a WM store are authorized to act in accordance with their department's code of conduct."
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  8. #58
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    As a woman, even being innocent, I wouldn't necessarily just stop for whomever. That's risky. You don't know who is stopping you.

  9. #59
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    Of course they should have stopped even if the officer wasn't "in uniform" still unsure if he was. They stole, they kept going. I wouldn't steal from a store, but if someone yelled stop to me in a parkinglot, that was otherwise safe.. meaning broad daylight.. shopping with friends. YES I would stop.

    Yeah, I don't stop. If they ask to check my receipt, I keep walking. If they ask to talk to me, I say, "no thank you" and keep walking.

    (Except of course Sam's and Costco because I agreed to let them check my receipt on my way out.)
    Jessica80 likes this.

  10. #60
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Yep the only time I stop is if I volunteer (I don't shop at Walmart anymore unless Dh talks me into it). But I used to voluntarily stop when I had a large item not in a bag so they can see it was a legitimate purchase. But I initiated it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions