Shoplifter Shot and Killed

231 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427
Shoplifter Shot and Killed

Mother shoplifting from Walmart shot dead by Texas cop as her two kids watched - Detroit liberal | Examiner.com

In a Houston Walmart on Dec. 6 three women were observed by security to have stolen items and concealed the goods in their purses. An off-duty sheriff's deputy was in the employment of Walmart that night as a member of the loss prevention team. Upon accosting the women when they attempted to leave the building, a struggle ensued and a mother of two was shot dead.

Deputy Louis Campell, of the Harris County Sheriff's Department with 26 years seniority, was on duty for what seemed like a typical evening. Shelly Frey, Yolanda Craig, and Tiasa Andrews, the alleged criminals, were soon to change that. It has been reported by KHOU.com that the women paid for some small items at a self-checkout while concealing the stolen goods that were in their purses.

When confronted by Deputy Campell after they had left the building, the three females refused to stop, and one used their purse full of stolen merchandise as a weapon, wielding it like a mace, striking the deputy.

All three women made it to their get-away car, which also contained Frey's two small children, ages unknown.
Deputy Campell caught the women as they were attempting to drive away. He opened the driver side door, with Shelly Frey in the driver's seat. She attempted to drive away, and in the moment Deputy Campell drew his weapon and fired hitting Frey in the neck.

The vehicle drove off, but Frey's injuries were not superficial. She crashed the vehicle several blocks away from Walmart. When paramedics arrived Frey was unconscious and unable to be revived. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Frey's accomplices were taken into custody and are currently charged with felony robbery and assaulting an officer.

Do you think the police officer/security guard was acting in the right to shoot someone while they were trying to drive away with stolen merchandise, after a physical confrontation?

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

My thought is, obviously they shouldn't have been shoplifting, shouldn't have hit him with a purse, et cetera. However, if they were fleeing and he was chasing, he probably was not feeling like his life was in danger. I would say once they got in the car, his safest bet would have been to call in the license plates and have the on-duty cops handle it. Opening the door and shooting the woman when she tried to drive away seems more like he totally lost his temper than "his life was in danger and he had no other choice."

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I agree with you Alissa. I didn't read that they women were armed, or that they had uttered any death threats, or that the guy felt his or the public's safety was in jeopardy. They were fleeing. Call the on-duty police and let them handle it.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I completely agree with you too Alissa.

If she had been shot while she was attacking him I may feel differently...but he chased her down and then shot her.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

Fleeing or speeding away from police they should be able to shoot them. If an officer tells you to stop... stop.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"Rivergallery" wrote:

Fleeing or speeding away from police they should be able to shoot them. If an officer tells you to stop... stop.

I'm curious if you'd feel the same if the children had been hit?

I totally agree with Alissa. Of course, she did a whole lot of wrong crap. But shooting wasn't necessary. Especially with kids in the car. (they probably didn't see the kids, but how could they know for sure no one was in the car). It's not like this woman was escaping with a bomb or machine guns or was out to kill or hurt anyone.

They obviously had the woman's plate number and could have tracked her down very easily. Instead this man killed a woman and put two kids in mortal danger. This was crazy, crazy overkill. The penalty for shoplifting OR evading the cops should never ever be a gunshot wound or death.

boilermaker's picture
Joined: 08/21/02
Posts: 1984

"Rivergallery" wrote:

Fleeing or speeding away from police they should be able to shoot them. If an officer tells you to stop... stop.

Said the white woman who has no fear of police officers.

Obviously, these women were in the wrong. But I find it sick that anyone thinks gun fire is an appropriate response to an unarmed robbery/shoplifting.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I agree. What they did was wrong but shooting while you are no longer in danger without knowing who was in the car is careless at best.

Sapphire Sunsets's picture
Joined: 05/19/02
Posts: 671

"boilermaker" wrote:

Said the white woman who has no fear of police officers.

Obviously, these women were in the wrong. But I find it sick that anyone thinks gun fire is an appropriate response to an unarmed robbery/shoplifting.

Why should someone who obeys the laws, listens to officers have any fear of a police officer?? They help save thousands of people every day, listen to any police scanner on any given day.

They used the purse as a weapon, that is considered armed. They did hit him with it.

What would have happened if they got in a high speed chase and someone innocent got hurt or killed? You know everyone would be all over the police's a$$. He shot her not intending to kill her, but to at least slow her down, so other's lives wouldn't be in danger. Plus, they had already hit him with the purse, that right there is intent to hurt him.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"Sapphire Sunsets" wrote:

Why should someone who obeys the laws, listens to officers have any fear of a police officer?? They help save thousands of people every day, listen to any police scanner on any given day.

They used the purse as a weapon, that is considered armed. They did hit him with it.

What would have happened if they got in a high speed chase and someone innocent got hurt or killed? You know everyone would be all over the police's a$$. He shot her not intending to kill her, but to at least slow her down, so other's lives wouldn't be in danger. Plus, they had already hit him with the purse, that right there is intent to hurt him.

In Arizona, just being brownish is considered something that the police officers can stop you for. MOST police officers are fabulous people, out to help everyone. But they are not always lily-white out to help everyone. There are tons of things we hear about police officers that should make most people fear them. Shall I find a few links for you?

And as for being in danger because someone had intent to hurt them. With a PURSE. That is just nuts. Talk about stretching it. The next time I see a woman smack someone with her purse, I'll make sure to duck for the bullets. Since it's totally rational. :eyeroll:
There is no way a trained veteran of the police department seriously thought he was in mortal danger because a woman smacked him with a purse. The high speed chase argument doesn't even make sense, because this wasn't even bad enough for a high speed chase. Like I said, they obviously could see her license plate. Just find her. Arrest her. And btw, add child endangerment since she took her kids to a robbery.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1683

"Rivergallery" wrote:

Fleeing or speeding away from police they should be able to shoot them. If an officer tells you to stop... stop.

Yep. They should have shot OJ and his friend. And the deaf if they aren't aware they are being asked to stop (while "fleeing" on foot).

An off-duty sheriff's deputy was in the employment of Walmart that night as a member of the loss prevention team

He was NOT acting as a cop at that time. He would not have been in his uniform and as far as the theives knew, he wasn't a cop. He was employed by Walmart and probably was outside the rules and procedures per Walmart's policies.

mom3girls's picture
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1535

I am thinking there might be something missing from this story? Was the man still trying to get her from the car when she sped away? Were her young kids left in the car while she went in to go steal stuff? (not that makes it okay to shoot her but it does speak more to what kind of person she was)

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"Rivergallery" wrote:

Fleeing or speeding away from police they should be able to shoot them. If an officer tells you to stop... stop.

Seriously?!? Running away is enough to warrant being shot and possibly dying? I just can't even wrap my head around that.

I remember a story about my 14 year old brother running from the police when they busted a party that he was attending. All of the high school kids scattered because there was underage drinking going on. He got caught and brought home in a police car. I'm sure glad they didn't shoot him and bring him home in a body bag.

Jeez Louise.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

He was NOT acting as a cop at that time. He would not have been in his uniform and as far as the theives knew, he wasn't a cop. He was employed by Walmart and probably was outside the rules and procedures per Walmart's policies.

Yeah, I can't imagine Wal-Mart's policy for their shoplifters is "shoot them." A friend of mine worked in security at Best Buy and he told us that they had a policy that if someone got out the doors with shoplifted merchandise, they were not under any circumstances to chase them because it was considered too dangerous and a liability if they were to get into a car accident fleeing the scene. They were just supposed to take down the license plate if they could and call the police. Of course I don't know what Wal-Mart's policy is, but I somehow doubt it's "try to wrestle them out of their cars, and if you can't, shoot them in the neck."

Sapphire Sunsets's picture
Joined: 05/19/02
Posts: 671

"smsturner" wrote:

In Arizona, just being brownish is considered something that the police officers can stop you for. MOST police officers are fabulous people, out to help everyone. But they are not always lily-white out to help everyone. There are tons of things we hear about police officers that should make most people fear them. Shall I find a few links for you?

And as for being in danger because someone had intent to hurt them. With a PURSE. That is just nuts. Talk about stretching it. The next time I see a woman smack someone with her purse, I'll make sure to duck for the bullets. Since it's totally rational. :eyeroll:
There is no way a trained veteran of the police department seriously thought he was in mortal danger because a woman smacked him with a purse. The high speed chase argument doesn't even make sense, because this wasn't even bad enough for a high speed chase. Like I said, they obviously could see her license plate. Just find her. Arrest her. And btw, add child endangerment since she took her kids to a robbery.

From the story, just in case you missed it. :eyeroll: right back at ya! Thats what MY answer was based on.

"one used their purse full of stolen merchandise as a weapon, wielding it like a mace, striking the deputy"

Sapphire Sunsets's picture
Joined: 05/19/02
Posts: 671

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Seriously?!? Running away is enough to warrant being shot and possibly dying? I just can't even wrap my head around that.

I remember a story about my 14 year old brother running from the police when they busted a party that he was attending. All of the high school kids scattered because there was underage drinking going on. He got caught and brought home in a police car. I'm sure glad they didn't shoot him and bring him home in a body bag.

Jeez Louise.

When you use a purse as a weapon and try to hurt a police officer, yes. It doesn't matter that he wasn't in uniform at the time. He is still a cop off duty or not.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"Sapphire Sunsets" wrote:

When you use a purse as a weapon and try to hurt a police officer, yes. It doesn't matter that he wasn't in uniform at the time. He is still a cop off duty or not.

Maybe if he had shot her during the struggle in which she hit him with her purse. Maybe. Even then, I have to question if hitting someone with a purse justifies using deadly force in return. Isn't there something that says that you have to use the appropriate amount of force to protect yourself? But anyway, he could possibly argue self defense in that case. But it's not like she was smacking him with her purse, they were struggling and tussling, and that's when he shot her. After she hit him with her purse, she ran away, he gave chase, and then once they were already in their car, that's when he shot her. There is no way to call that self defense.

To give another example, if hit you with my umbrella, and then you went and got a gun and shot me 2 minutes later, do you really think you could claim self defense or that you felt your life was in danger and you had to use deadly force against me? I seriously doubt you'd get away with it.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1683

"Sapphire Sunsets" wrote:

When you use a purse as a weapon and try to hurt a police officer, yes. It doesn't matter that he wasn't in uniform at the time. He is still a cop off duty or not.

It DOES matter.

He was not in uniform nor in the scope of his employment as an officer. If he told me to stop at the exit, no, I'm going to keep walking. I'm not refusing to obey a lawful order given by a peace officer; I'm refusing to stop for a Walmart employee.

If an off-duty cop tried to pull my car over for a traffic violation or because the car was reported stolen or whatever, I am not going to pull over for him. Period. In fact, even if I'm being pulled over by a "cop" in a "police car" and it looks suspicious to me, I'm not pulling over. I'll be on my phone calling 911 to report it or verify it's legit.

She didn't assault a cop; the person she assaulted turned out to be a cop. There's a difference.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1683

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Maybe if he had shot her during the struggle in which she hit him with her purse. Maybe. Even then, I have to question if hitting someone with a purse justifies using deadly force in return. Isn't there something that says that you have to use the appropriate amount of force to protect yourself? But anyway, he could possibly argue self defense in that case. But it's not like she was smacking him with her purse, they were struggling and tussling, and that's when he shot her. After she hit him with her purse, she ran away, he gave chase, and then once they were already in their car, that's when he shot her. There is no way to call that self defense.

To give another example, if hit you with my umbrella, and then you went and got a gun and shot me 2 minutes later, do you really think you could claim self defense or that you felt your life was in danger and you had to use deadly force against me? I seriously doubt you'd get away with it.

Yeah, I'm trying to wrap my head around this one...if a person broke into my home, hit me in the head, then fled, and I shot him as he was driving away, I don't think the self-defense argument would convince a jury. He's no longer a threat to me or my family. I can get his license plate number and call 911 instead.

Sapphire Sunsets's picture
Joined: 05/19/02
Posts: 671

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

It DOES matter.

He was not in uniform nor in the scope of his employment as an officer. If he told me to stop at the exit, no, I'm going to keep walking. I'm not refusing to obey a lawful order given by a peace officer; I'm refusing to stop for a Walmart employee.

If an off-duty cop tried to pull my car over for a traffic violation or because the car was reported stolen or whatever, I am not going to pull over for him. Period. In fact, even if I'm being pulled over by a "cop" in a "police car" and it looks suspicious to me, I'm not pulling over. I'll be on my phone calling 911 to report it or verify it's legit.

She didn't assault a cop; the person she assaulted turned out to be a cop. There's a difference.

No, he is a cop...just off duty. Oh, and i found this.

The Rights and Responsibilities of an Off-Duty Police Officer | eHow.com

Officers in most jurisdictions, even when off-duty, are expected to be armed and to exercise their authority when necessary

An off-duty officer should only use powers of arrest when there is an immediate need to prevent a crime or apprehend a suspect -- and the officer has in his possession appropriate police identification. The officer must not be personally involved in the incident. The officer shall not use their police powers to resolve personal grievances, except under circumstances that would justify the use of self-defense, actions to prevent injury to another person, or when a serious offense has been committed that would justify an arrest.

Sapphire Sunsets's picture
Joined: 05/19/02
Posts: 671

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Maybe if he had shot her during the struggle in which she hit him with her purse. Maybe. Even then, I have to question if hitting someone with a purse justifies using deadly force in return. Isn't there something that says that you have to use the appropriate amount of force to protect yourself? But anyway, he could possibly argue self defense in that case. But it's not like she was smacking him with her purse, they were struggling and tussling, and that's when he shot her. After she hit him with her purse, she ran away, he gave chase, and then once they were already in their car, that's when he shot her. There is no way to call that self defense.

To give another example, if hit you with my umbrella, and then you went and got a gun and shot me 2 minutes later, do you really think you could claim self defense or that you felt your life was in danger and you had to use deadly force against me? I seriously doubt you'd get away with it.

It was a purse USED as a weapon. They are charged with felony robbery, not just simple robbery. Look it up.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1683

"Sapphire Sunsets" wrote:

No, he is a cop...just off duty. Oh, and i found this.

The Rights and Responsibilities of an Off-Duty Police Officer | eHow.com

You are missing my point.

Sapphire Sunsets's picture
Joined: 05/19/02
Posts: 671

Colorado Springs Police Dept.

just an example.

The Department recognizes that off-duty officers cannot rely on immediate
assistance or application of police resources in the same capacity as while on
duty, and therefore expects officers to exercise reasonable judgment before
jeopardizing themselves or others by taking police action off-duty. Officers
should, however, take action on an offense which has a significant probability
of resulting in personal injury or extensive property damage. When action is
considered necessary consistent with the tactical situation, offenses involved,
or other factors as determined by the involved officer, any police action will
be governed by the same policies, procedures and rules that apply to on-duty
personnel in a similar situation

An officer's identity as a police officer is more difficult to establish quickly
when out of uniform, and private vehicles cannot be used for pursuits or other
activities requiring special police equipment. Whenever a police officer is
carrying a service, off-duty, or auxiliary firearm off duty, the officer shall
also carry both an official police badge and official identification
card/concealed weapons permit.

Sapphire Sunsets's picture
Joined: 05/19/02
Posts: 671

*edited

Sapphire Sunsets's picture
Joined: 05/19/02
Posts: 671

This is from this story.

1) He WAS in uniform.

2) He was between the door and the front of the car, and feared for his safety.

3) She was already on probation for stealing before and wasn't even supposed to be in ANY Walmart.

Walmart security guard shoots 'shoplifting' mother dead in parking - YouTube

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"Sapphire Sunsets" wrote:

This is from this story.

1) He WAS in uniform.

2) He was between the door and the front of the car, and feared for his safety.

3) She was already on probation for stealing before and wasn't even supposed to be in ANY Walmart.
[/url]

I'm sorry. I do not care what you pull from whatever article. I refuse to believe that a veteran police officer believed he was in mortal danger because a woman smacked him with her purse. And he didn't even shoot her while she was swinging! He chased her and then fired at her car. Unless she was driving her car toward him to run him down, he was NOT IN DANGER! At all!

ETA: Oh. And please. PLEASE charge her with felony robbery. Whatever. She obviously did wrong. Lots of wrong. No one is arguing she is a saint and shouldn't be arrested. I am appalled she took her children to a robbery. Disgusting. BUT that isn't the point here is it?

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"Sapphire Sunsets" wrote:

It was a purse USED as a weapon. They are charged with felony robbery, not just simple robbery. Look it up.

I'm fine with them being charged with felony robbery. They resisted arrest, they assaulted a police officer, that's all fine. But what I am saying is that it's still just a freaking purse. You can say "She used it as a weapon", and sure she did, by hitting him with it, she used it as a weapon. You can use anything as a weapon if you hit someone with it. You can use a pillow as a weapon if you hit someone with it. But it's still just a purse. I just don't see how that justifies the use of deadly force in return.

And even if it did, he didn't shoot her during the struggle (if there was a struggle) with the purse. He shot her as she was trying to drive away. It's the equivalent of shooting someone in the back and calling it self defense. Pretty sure that doesn't fly.

Also, on re-reading the article, I'm not sure that it's a fact that the driver, Shelley Frey, is even the one that hit him with a purse. It said that one of the three hit him, it doesn't say which one. So we could have a situation where he shot a different woman than the one that hit him. But that doesn't matter so much to me because I don't believe that he shot in self defense anyway.

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

I would like to see the video, but it wont let me. Honestly, it would change things for me if she was driving the car directly at him when he shot, but other than that scenario, I think he over reacted. As I am almost always on the cops side though, I choose to at least give him the benefit of the doubt and call it an over reaction, in the heat of the moment. Was it wrong, yes IMO, but everything must have happened really quickly, and he reacted.

Unless he was in uniform, or clearly identified himself as an officer, I have a hard time saying she assaulted a police officer. And anyways, hitting someone with a purse.....even a really heavy one filled with stolen merchandise, is not a shooting offense.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"smsturner" wrote:

I'm sorry. I do not care what you pull from whatever article. I refuse to believe that a veteran police officer believed he was in mortal danger because a woman smacked him with her purse. And he didn't even shoot her while she was swinging! He chased her and then fired at her car. Unless she was driving her car toward him to run him down, he was NOT IN DANGER! At all!

ETA: Oh. And please. PLEASE charge her with felony robbery. Whatever. She obviously did wrong. Lots of wrong. No one is arguing she is a saint and shouldn't be arrested. I am appalled she took her children to a robbery. Disgusting. BUT that isn't the point here is it?

Dead people can't go to jail. Did you miss that part?

tink9702's picture
Joined: 09/28/08
Posts: 2977

*lurker*

ummm why was she shot in the neck? What was he aiming at that either he didn't aim well or he did (her head). Aren't police officers trained to not kill when they do use deadly force or am I totally wrong on that one?

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

Dead people can't go to jail. Did you miss that part?

Ok. I guess I should have added: IF he had not killed her and acted reasonably. I thought it was obvious?

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"tink9702" wrote:

*lurker*

ummm why was she shot in the neck? What was he aiming at that either he didn't aim well or he did (her head). Aren't police officers trained to not kill when they do use deadly force or am I totally wrong on that one?

From the police I know they are trained to strike the torso, as it is the largest 'part' of the body and has the best chance of being hit. I've never heard of the police, at least here, shooting to injure, maim, etc. Always shoot to kill, at least that's what our police do and I'm pretty sure most police academies teach the same. If the use of deadly force is needed, there should be a presumption that the target could die.

eta - I guess it's not 'shoot to kill' as far as intent goes. Like, no cop wants to see someone dead at their hands; but there's the intention to hit the part of the body - the torso - where the likelihood of death is much higher than hitting the leg or shoulder.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"smsturner" wrote:

Ok. I guess I should have added: IF he had not killed her and acted reasonably. I thought it was obvious?

Nope. Not at all obvious. To me you seemed to think she was alive and should be charged with felony seeing as you were talking in the present tense. Like, "No one is arguing she is a saint and shouldn't be arrested" ?? That's what you said.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

Nope. Not at all obvious. To me you seemed to think she was alive and should be charged with felony seeing as you were talking in the present tense. Like, "No one is arguing she is a saint and shouldn't be arrested" ?? That's what you said.

I think most of us have been arguing as if there was one woman in this scenario (ex: assuming that the woman who hit the police officer with her purse, was the same one that was shot and killed) but actually there were three women. One died, the other two were arrested and charged with felony robbery.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

Nope. Not at all obvious. To me you seemed to think she was alive and should be charged with felony seeing as you were talking in the present tense. Like, "No one is arguing she is a saint and shouldn't be arrested" ?? That's what you said.

We totally agree. We always agree on these debates. What's with the grumpy and the nitpicking?? Wink

ETA:
Btw Lisa, your kids are totally cute! I hadn't seen your siggy until this debate Smile

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"smsturner" wrote:

We totally agree. We always agree on these debates. What's with the grumpy and the nitpicking?? ;)ETA: Btw Lisa, your kids are totally cute! I hadn't seen your siggy until this debate Smile

Ah, I have an upset stomach today and a sore foot. Blah. I was only confused, not trying to be a bee-atch. And thanks for the nice comment about the kiddies. Although, for some reason DD has been acting like a whiny 2 y.o. with the attitude of a 15 y.o., so not quite as cute as she looks Wink

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

Ah, I have an upset stomach today and a sore foot. Blah. I was only confused, not trying to be a bee-atch. And thanks for the nice comment about the kiddies. Although, for some reason DD has been acting like a whiny 2 y.o. with the attitude of a 15 y.o., so not quite as cute as she looks Wink

Well I started my clomid today...so I'm probably way touchy anyway! Sorry... Sad (and I can relate, my dd is 13 this month. and she actually grew horns! I couldn't believe it! But then again, her eyes have been glowing red for years, so I guess I should have been ready!

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

He had no business pulling his gun and I hope that he is charged.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

It wasn't just "a purse," it was a pretty large bag loaded with stolen goods from the video I saw, one of those straw beach bag kind of things. It could have easily weighed 15 or 20 pounds, I'm guessing, and getting smacked in the head with that could be a pretty serious injury. The driver tried to run the officer over, and he was being dragged by the open car door. If I had a gun, I'd probably try to shoot whomever was doing that to me, too, even if they hadn't been shoplifting first. It wasn't the driver who was shot, it was the passenger, so why didn't the driver take her friend to a hospital instead of driving home and parking her car? The driver should be charged with that, too! And finally, the officer *was* in uniform, so the arguments that they might not have known he was a cop are baseless. She got what she deserved.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

"Potter75" wrote:

He had no business pulling his gun and I hope that he is charged.

Nice to see you back!

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

This man was in the employment of Walmart. He acted as though a child was being abducted, not as though some cheap goods were being stolen. If you believe that this woman deserved to DIE in front of her children for shoplifting you have a much harsher sense of justice than I do. I believe that it is entirely within the realm of good security guard work protocol that this man could have followed the shoplifters outside, observed them getting in their car, called actual on duty police, given them the location and description of the vehicle, along with the license plate number, and allowed actual on duty officers to do their job. If he was being dragged by the open car door it was because he was stupid enough to put himself in that position in the first place. Shame on him.

I don't think any child deserves to see their mother shot to death over some cheap imported goods right before Christmas. I don't ever call that justice.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"Spacers" wrote:

Nice to see you back!

Thanks! Celebrating the 6 months anniversary of breaking my hip today.....worst thing I ever lived through ~ but we made it and here I am Smile

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

Spacers.. do you have the link to the video you watched still?

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Potter75" wrote:

Thanks! Celebrating the 6 months anniversary of breaking my hip today.....worst thing I ever lived through ~ but we made it and here I am Smile

How did you do that?

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

How did you do that?

A combination of overtraining and crap luck. I had a stress fracture in my femoral neck that showed up over Memorial Day weekend and went right to crutches, 6 days later it broke and displaced, necessitating an exciting ambulance ride/emergency surgery, massive hip reconstruction/pinning. I was in the hospital for 4 days, in bed for 2 weeks, couldn't drive for 4 weeks, and on crutches for about 7 weeks post surgery. Its been a heck of a ride.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

I haven't seen the video either and would be glad to watch it. But I also agree with Melissa that he put himself in the position to get dragged by an open door by opening the door in the first place. And why would he shoot a passenger if he was shooting because he was getting dragged by the door? If she wasn't driving, she couldn't stop the car....

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

I saw it on my morning news but I can't find a video link and the article summary doesn't have much. Here's one that has all the same info except for the shot of the "purse" in question. And I think the fact that the passenger was shot instead of the driver supports the officer's claim that he was in fear for his life, being knocked over & dragged by the car. Suspected shoplifter shot, killed by deputy working security at Walmart in north Houston | abc13.com

And yes, if I or the people I was with smacked a police officer in the head with something, and we all ran away despite being told to stop by a uniformed police officer, and if the car in which I was riding was trying to run that police officer over & was dragging him along by a door, yes, I would absolutely expect someone to be shot. Perhaps she wouldn't have died from her injuries if she'd been taken to a hospital? With "friends" like that...

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1683

"Spacers" wrote:

It wasn't just "a purse," it was a pretty large bag loaded with stolen goods from the video I saw, one of those straw beach bag kind of things. It could have easily weighed 15 or 20 pounds, I'm guessing, and getting smacked in the head with that could be a pretty serious injury. The driver tried to run the officer over, and he was being dragged by the open car door. If I had a gun, I'd probably try to shoot whomever was doing that to me, too, even if they hadn't been shoplifting first. It wasn't the driver who was shot, it was the passenger, so why didn't the driver take her friend to a hospital instead of driving home and parking her car? The driver should be charged with that, too! And finally, the officer *was* in uniform, so the arguments that they might not have known he was a cop are baseless. She got what she deserved.

The vehicle drove off, but Frey's injuries were not superficial. She crashed the vehicle several blocks away from Walmart. When paramedics arrived Frey was unconscious and unable to be revived. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Frey's accomplices were taken into custody and are currently charged with felony robbery and assaulting an officer.

Do you have another article?

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

In the video I linked above, you can clearly see the passenger door is open with yellow crime scene stuff on the floor & seat. In one of the related videos from that page, it states that "the woman in the passenger seat was bleeding from her side."

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I read the article in the link Stacey provided and it appears it was the driver that was shot:

"When the vehicle took off, he was standing between the door frame and the driver. I think it knocked him off balance and in fear for his life, being run over, he discharged his weapon at that point," Deputy Gilliland explained.
The driver kept going, arriving at her apartment, where Gaines and her neighbors heard that screaming, wishing they never had.

The passenger door was open in the video though. Maybe they attended to her from the passenger side. Trying to imagine what happened, maybe she slumped over in that direction when she died and was attended to by EMS through the passenger side because her head and injuries were closer to that side. IDK. Just a guess.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

It takes a special kind of idiot to take kids when you rob a place.. and even specialler to put your children in harms way.. She did that to her own children. Place blame where it lays.. the criminal. Police should not have to chase suspects regardless of the crime, or the guilt or innocence of the people.. again if an officer says stop.. you stop. and even more so if you have just committed a crime. In watching the original video I disagree that he should have shot the tires out.. THAT would have endangered the children more than shooting the criminal. (especially if it was the passenger) as Spacers indicates.

Pages