Sickness - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 111
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Sickness

  1. #101
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    See, I see picking up a prescription as a pretty major thing, not quite "emergency," but not something I would put off for lack of someone to watch my kids. I mean, isn't the prescription supposed to help them? Why would you put that off? And vomiting doesn't usually require a prescription so I wouldn't run to the drugstore for something for that, just keep them hydrated.

    And Gatorade is gross, the amount of dye in it is sickening. When my kids need an electrolyte drink, I make the same thing my midwife gave me during labor, with lemon juice, salt, baking soda, and honey, all cheap things I have on hand anyway, and it tastes great.
    Recipe please. My kids wont drink anything except water when they are sick. According to my Dr, even coke would be better cause they would get the sugar with it, but my kids are very particular and I would love something new to try.

    BTW. I am not an advocate of the coke theory, but we have tried ginger ale, pedialite, gatorade, juice, all with refusals.

    ETA: The whole die, artificial ingredients thing is one reason I can see having to go to the store. We try to not keep those things around. Even soda crackers are full of crap so I dont buy them. Same with popsicles etc. However, when my kids are puking a lot and I am worried about what they can hold down, I will give them anything that will stay in their tummy, so I am often running to the store for something new to try. So far I havent had to take the sick kid with me, but I coudl understand needing too.
    Last edited by ftmom; 04-12-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    SID081108 likes this.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  2. #102
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Melissa, I just have to say....that idea worked. I emailed one of the women who runs the yoga studio, she always says she knows sitters because she & her co-owner work such nutty hours, so she found me someone and now we're covered for tomorrow. I wouldn't have thought of it, so thank you.

    Funny.
    KimPossible and blather like this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  3. #103
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftmom View Post
    Recipe please. My kids wont drink anything except water when they are sick. According to my Dr, even coke would be better cause they would get the sugar with it, but my kids are very particular and I would love something new to try.

    BTW. I am not an advocate of the coke theory, but we have tried ginger ale, pedialite, gatorade, juice, all with refusals.

    ETA: The whole die, artificial ingredients thing is one reason I can see having to go to the store. We try to not keep those things around. Even soda crackers are full of crap so I dont buy them. Same with popsicles etc. However, when my kids are puking a lot and I am worried about what they can hold down, I will give them anything that will stay in their tummy, so I am often running to the store for something new to try. So far I havent had to take the sick kid with me, but I coudl understand needing too.
    Have you tried the pedialyte pops? The pedialyte drink is gross. Have you ever tasted it? Blek. But the popsicles are nowhere near as yucky and salty. Ben, who is a big refuser of all things when sick, will have the popsicles.

  4. #104
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClairesMommy View Post
    Have you tried the pedialyte pops? The pedialyte drink is gross. Have you ever tasted it? Blek. But the popsicles are nowhere near as yucky and salty. Ben, who is a big refuser of all things when sick, will have the popsicles.
    We tried. They went bad in our freezer. They made DD gag, which does not go well with throwing up.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  5. #105
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    We use coconut water. Kids love it. so do we. Super healthy. Easy to keep on hand all the time. And Bonita, if you read my posts, I'm clearly, over and over, ad nauseum (ha!) talking about SICK kids.

    Laurie that's so awesome!!

  6. #106
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftmom View Post
    Recipe please. My kids wont drink anything except water when they are sick.
    Mix together a quart of water, 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice for a bit of flavor. It gets a bit fizzy because the acidity of the lemon reacts with the baking soda. You can also make it with orange juice but I rarely have OJ in the house.
    Last edited by Spacers; 04-12-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  7. #107
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftmom View Post
    We tried. They went bad in our freezer. They made DD gag, which does not go well with throwing up.
    Ha ha! Sorry, don't mean to laugh but I just had a flashback moment of Claire puking all over Mike after she'd been gagging in his truck.

  8. #108
    Posting Addict ange84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    9,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    So no one else keeps popscicles on hand? We have them year round. My kids love them and it's sometimes their dessert.
    Nope, if i buy iceblocks the whole package of 40 is gone the second hubby gets home, he just eats them until they are gone and then wants more, and at the cost of them it's not in our budget to do that.

    Last minute baby sitters would be lovely, I don't even have a baby sitter locally that I could line up weeks before. I was supposed to have an event tonight which my son could have come with me, but I would have been working and he would have been bored. My Mum was able to come down, but if she hadn't been able to he would have had to come with me, or else I would have left the organisers(which includes me) one short because I couldn't go. Like I said before I have few friends locally and I have lived here for nearly 3.5 years, and the two people I know best I wouldn't ask to baby sit my son as they have young children of their own and it wouldn't be fair to their children or DS because he is terrible at going to bed.

    I don't think your elitist, just lucky to have so many options.

  9. #109
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    How much are they in Australia? I know I can buy the large bag of the cheapy ones for 2.00 here (they are about 24 or so in the bag). a box of Edy's fruit bars are about 3.00 for 6 which I usually buy for non sickness times.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  10. #110
    Posting Addict ange84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    9,061

    Default

    Cheapest is the home brand usually which is around $8 for a bag of 40 (wow I just looked them up, they have jumped in price heaps to what I though, when I was pregnant with DS they were about $5-$6). If I want to go for the fruit juice ones it's about $7 for a bag of 24 of those.
    The ones on a stick that are ready to go are just over $3 for a pack of 24 in the home brand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions