Suspended for hugging
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suspended for hugging

  1. #1
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,721

    Default Suspended for hugging

    Student Suspended For A Year After Hugging Teacher ? CBS Atlanta

    Was a year long suspension appropriate or too long? What other options were there?

    ~Bonita~

  2. #2
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,315

    Default

    That's really misleading. He can still graduate on time by attending another school.

    Two excuses I am so sick of are "but he's a football player" and "he's been in trouble before but not for this."

    What he did was sexual harassment.
    Jessica80 likes this.

  3. #3
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,222

    Default

    Completely agree with EW
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  4. #4
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Yes
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  5. #5
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    That's really misleading. He can still graduate on time by attending another school.

    Two excuses I am so sick of are "but he's a football player" and "he's been in trouble before but not for this."

    What he did was sexual harassment.
    Yes. I know this is a turn around from my response to the 6 year old kissing thread, but the difference is age and also this sounds like it sincerely was sexual or could be construed that way.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  6. #6
    Online Community Director MissyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Rocky Mountain Wanna-be
    Posts
    13,135

    Default

    I could see this type of hug (from behind and caught off-guard) as being against the rules. If he had been warned before and the teacher felt that this was a violation of her personal space -- then yes, it is sexual harassment. I do agree with one of the comments I read on the article, however... If this kid had been warned previously it should have been a written warning and shared with the parent if the consequence was this dire.

    As in the other case though I do wonder - is it against the rules now for ANY hugs between teachers and students... esp. at the high school level? I know I hugged (and was hugged) by my teachers -- both male and female - in high school (and college for that matter). Those were simply hugs -- not sexual in nature on their part or my own. I would hope that kids in schools today are not being taught that all signs of affection are "bad". Should there be protections for children against sexual predators and molestation -- sure! But can a student give / receive a hug from a teacher? I'd hope so!

  7. #7
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissyJ View Post
    I could see this type of hug (from behind and caught off-guard) as being against the rules. If he had been warned before and the teacher felt that this was a violation of her personal space -- then yes, it is sexual harassment. I do agree with one of the comments I read on the article, however... If this kid had been warned previously it should have been a written warning and shared with the parent if the consequence was this dire.

    As in the other case though I do wonder - is it against the rules now for ANY hugs between teachers and students... esp. at the high school level? I know I hugged (and was hugged) by my teachers -- both male and female - in high school (and college for that matter). Those were simply hugs -- not sexual in nature on their part or my own. I would hope that kids in schools today are not being taught that all signs of affection are "bad". Should there be protections for children against sexual predators and molestation -- sure! But can a student give / receive a hug from a teacher? I'd hope so!
    I agree. The hug in this article does seem unwanted and uncalled for, but unless previous warnings were in writing followed by a shorter (say 3 day) suspension, I think a year long suspension is uncalled for. As in the other debate, I have a hard time with the idea that all physical contact is forbidden.

    ~Bonita~

  8. #8
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissyJ View Post
    I could see this type of hug (from behind and caught off-guard) as being against the rules. If he had been warned before and the teacher felt that this was a violation of her personal space -- then yes, it is sexual harassment. I do agree with one of the comments I read on the article, however... If this kid had been warned previously it should have been a written warning and shared with the parent if the consequence was this dire.
    Not necessarily. In the workplace, if a coworker hugged you like this, would you want him to have a written record in his file the first time? Or tell him to stop?

    As in the other case though I do wonder - is it against the rules now for ANY hugs between teachers and students... esp. at the high school level? I know I hugged (and was hugged) by my teachers -- both male and female - in high school (and college for that matter). Those were simply hugs -- not sexual in nature on their part or my own. I would hope that kids in schools today are not being taught that all signs of affection are "bad". Should there be protections for children against sexual predators and molestation -- sure! But can a student give / receive a hug from a teacher? I'd hope so!
    No way. No hugs. Period. Not all signs of affection are bad. But physical contact of any kind between teacher and student can turn into a bad situation.

  9. #9
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,560

    Default

    It's very clear that the teacher tries to push him away, and then he puts his other arm around her. And he's got a big smile on his face as he walks off. Yeah, I can very well believe that this teacher has told him before, that this type of "hug" is wholly inappropriate at school with a teacher, especially a teacher who doesn't want to be hugged in that way. And as EW pointed out, it's not a suspension from school, it's a suspension from *this* school. I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

    Student suspended for sexual harassment after hugging teacher - CNN.com
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  10. #10
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    And as EW pointed out, it's not a suspension from school, it's a suspension from *this* school.
    Only speaking to this, How do you figure that it is not a suspension from school? In the areas I am most familiar with (admittedly, is not a lot of schools) it is not that easy to go to another school if you are kicked out of one school. In the school that I went to growing up in NY, the only way you could go to another school other than the one you were zoned for was to pay expensive tuition and to be accepted by that other school. I believe it is similar here. The only choices when kicking someone out of school is for then the parents to either pay for private school witch not all people can afford or to homeschool which again not all people can afford. Also many private schools will not accept kids who are known to have behavioural problems. I am not saying there are not reasons to suspend a student. There are and schools need to be able to have that option. However, I do not think a one time occasion of this is it. If it happened (documented) several times after he had been talked to that would be a possibility.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions