Teacher gets 5 years for sex with students

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116
Teacher gets 5 years for sex with students

A teacher in the Dallas area was recently convicted of having sex with students and sentenced to 5 years. ALL the students were over 18 at the time, but there is a law in Texas that any sex with students is a crime regardless of their age. There is no question that she should have been fired. But do you agree with the criminal charges? Do you think the law will stand up to appeal since they were all consenting adults?

Ex-Kennedale teacher gets five years in prison for having sex with students | Crime and Sa...

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

This story is really creepy and there is something wrong with her. I'm not sure jail makes sense since they were all 18 and consenting, although she absolutely took advantage of the teacher-student relationship. I think she should be fired and banned from ever teaching again in any capacity, and have to do community service...around old people and NOT young people. Ever. I wouldn't let her anywhere near a high school. Yeesh.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

I'd say it's really just a matter of time until of these boys admits they weren't 18 when it started, or until another comes forward that was underage. Most boys have a really hard time admitting to being a victim of any sort, but having a local news story saying you're a rape victim by a local teacher would probably be humiliating.
But, I'm a big fan of not charging people for things you can't prove. So unless one ever comes forward, I would say the jail time is unwarranted.
Definitely definitely definitely should not ever be in a school again. Ever.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

She absolutely took advantage of her position of authority as a teacher. That's why this law was put into place, so a teacher can't just wait for someone to turn 18, or only hone in on the oldest students because they're already "legal." Teachers should never be involved romantically or sexually with their students, ever, and she was having sex with 5 or 6 of her students, not just one which would be bad enough. I think the sentence is reasonable, especially since most of it will be supervised parole.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

I agree with Stacey.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686

"smsturner" wrote:

I'd say it's really just a matter of time until of these boys admits they weren't 18 when it started, or until another comes forward that was underage. Most boys have a really hard time admitting to being a victim of any sort, but having a local news story saying you're a rape victim by a local teacher would probably be humiliating.
But, I'm a big fan of not charging people for things you can't prove. So unless one ever comes forward, I would say the jail time is unwarranted.
Definitely definitely definitely should not ever be in a school again. Ever.

She said the students did not wear condoms and that "everybody ejaculated" during the night when Colleps was videotaped having sex with four of the students. Beach described the amount of bodily fluids and possible diseases exchanged during the night as "staggering and it is disgusting. It's completely disgusting."

Based on the article, they were all 18 at the time; however, if I understood correctly, they were all her students at the time. Would this still have been a crime if they had graduated prior to the relationship? If both things have happened (turned 18 and graduated), I don't think it should be a criminal act. At some point you are just too far removed from the situation.

It seems like the 5 years in prison is the least of her worries. Maybe a little distance and perspective will be good for her kids and husband.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I agree with ew. She definitely took advantage of the teacher/student situation and should not be allowed to teach again but I don't think she should face criminal charges. 18 is legal age and they could have consented with another woman who wasn't their teacher.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I agree with Laurie 100%.

And, when you have a defence attorney who says things like this:

Defense attorney Cynthia Fitch countered by saying that Colleps has lost her good name and her reputation with this case.
"Her name has been drug through the mud through the last 15 months," Fitch said.

you're going to lose.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

Is it also illegal for university professors to have sex with their students?

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Hmmmm...when I was in college it wasn't illegal and at my school it wasn't against the rules per se as long as they weren't in an official student/professor relationship but it was frowned upon.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

"Jessica80" wrote:

Hmmmm...when I was in college it wasn't illegal and at my school it wasn't against the rules per se as long as they weren't in an official student/professor relationship but it was frowned upon.

I googled and couldn't find where it states that it's illegal, only frowned upon and discouraged. I can't understand why it's illegal in this case? It's gross of a teacher to do, but if the students were actually 18 and actually consented, then what is the legal issue? Over the next few months they would be maybe college students and could date their teacher and the teacher not be put in jail at least.

What's the difference here legally?

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"myyams" wrote:

I googled and couldn't find where it states that it's illegal, only frowned upon and discouraged. I can't understand why it's illegal in this case? It's gross of a teacher to do, but if the students were actually 18 and actually consented, then what is the legal issue? Over the next few months they would be maybe college students and could date their teacher and the teacher not be put in jail at least.

What's the difference here legally?

It is illegal in Texas.

Teacher-Student Relationships = Felony - Total Criminal Defense

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

It is illegal in Texas.

Teacher-Student Relationships = Felony - Total Criminal Defense

Yes I understand that it is illegal. I want to know why is it illegal compared with it not being illegal for a professor to do the same with his or her barely 18 y/o freshmen?

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"myyams" wrote:

Yes I understand that it is illegal. I want to know why is it illegal compared with it not being illegal for a professor to do the same with his or her barely 18 y/o freshmen?

According to the law that would also be illegal. Thats why I don't understand how it could be fairly prosecuted. What if the college professor is 30 and the student is 28? Could easily happen. I think they just don't prosecute in that case which seems kind of arbitrary.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

According to the law that would also be illegal. Thats why I don't understand how it could be fairly prosecuted. What if the college professor is 30 and the student is 28? Could easily happen. I think they just don't prosecute in that case which seems kind of arbitrary.

There could be a Masters level professor or maybe even just a BA level in some colleges, could be potentially just as young as 20 with a degree teaching other 18 year olds. Or even say, 25 y/o dating an 18 y/o isn't horribly odd maybe, especially if it's a guy dating a younger girl. So I read that it's only discouraged and not illegal in the case of college etc. I don't get the double standard of college vs high school. High school level seems disgusting. And college level seems just distasteful due to maybe grade influence/favoritism. Since all are adults, I don't get really why the teacher has to go to jail.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6561

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

According to the law that would also be illegal. Thats why I don't understand how it could be fairly prosecuted. What if the college professor is 30 and the student is 28? Could easily happen. I think they just don't prosecute in that case which seems kind of arbitrary.

For college are you talking about dating your professor, or dating any professor at your college? One of my teachers in college was around 30 and single. A man took her class that was around her age and also single. They did not date while in her class, but once the semester ended they started dating and were married a few months later. I do not see why it would be illegal if she was no longer his teacher?

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686

nm

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686

Has anybody been able to find the actual text or code of this law? I've searched and searched and can't find the exact wording.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

Has anybody been able to find the actual text or code of this law? I've searched and searched and can't find the exact wording.

I have not found it yet, but upon review of a few university policies they say for example: UNC says:

Relationships between Students and Faculty Members or Other University Employees | Office of Legal Affairs | UNC Charlotte

It is improper for a faculty member, instructional assistant, or other University employee to participate in the instruction, evaluation, or supervision of a student with whom there is an amorous relationship or familial relationship. Violation of this policy may result in disciplinary procedures.

So, I take it that it's unlikely to be illegal for professors to have relationships because the discipline measures 'MAY' result in disciplinary procedures. I assume if it was illegal then the wording would be much different. There are many types of relationships described on the website too.

In other states such as Arkansas, it's not illegal for a High School teacher to have consensual sex with student who are 18 years old.
Law Okays Teacher-Student Relationships in Arkansas | fox4kc.com

then there is this article on pointing out how variable the regulations are:
Lawmakers Move To Bar Teachers From Having Sex With Students - Careers Articles

It just seems so variable. My personal view is that it's creepy and gross but I don't think a teacher should go to jail for consensual sex with a person 18+

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

No I don't think a teacher should be jailed if student is over 18. I think in the high school setting it is grounds for dismissal though. College just seems different to me. Definitely shouldn't be with a current student.

Joined: 09/01/12
Posts: 5

If she wouldn't have had an educational role she could have the relation.
What controversial!! I personally think private life and job are two different things