Thank you

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796
Thank you

I email a ton of people every day for work. About 2/3s of them thank me (especially the ones who know it's not remotely part of my job to help them). I never reply back because it seems silly to say thank you and your welcome through email (to me). I am very consistent about using all manners IRL, so I was wondering if I'm the only one with a flip-flop attitude about electronic communications..

Do you use the same manners electronically that you use verbally?

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

I'm not sure I understand. Should you thank someone for sending you an e-mail?

fudd8963's picture
Joined: 12/27/07
Posts: 1630

I'm also a little confused by the question. Is the question should you say thank you by e-mail for an e-mail? Then yes, I always make sure I thank someone who did something for me, even if it is part of their job. Makes them know I appreciate what they do. But when someone e-mails me "Thank You" I don't always send another e-mail saying "You're welcome", but I would say it if I were talking to them in person.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3312

"wlillie" wrote:

I email a ton of people every day for work. About 2/3s of them thank me (especially the ones who know it's not remotely part of my job to help them). I never reply back because it seems silly to say thank you and your welcome through email (to me). I am very consistent about using all manners IRL, so I was wondering if I'm the only one with a flip-flop attitude about electronic communications..

Do you use the same manners electronically that you use verbally?

I know what you mean and no, i don't use the same manners for email that i do in real life.

Sometimes i feel very awkward even writing the "Thanks!" email in response if there really is nothing else to say but that...only because i know a lot of people don't like a lot of clutter in their emailbox and use it more as a tool to get things done...not have conversations.

I very often hem and haw a little about replaying to an email at work just to say "thanks!" Sometimes i do it...and other times i don't.

I never reply back to a Thanks email with a "your welcome" I figure at that point its implied Biggrin

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

They are usually thanking me for finding out information or finding material they need to do their job and emailing it to them. I only thank people when I'm talking to them though; if someone does something for me over the phone (lets say looking up a number) than I say Thank you, but if they email me the number, I don't. Is that normal?

fudd8963's picture
Joined: 12/27/07
Posts: 1630

I also always say "Thanks" so they know that I got the e-mail. A simple "Thank You" can go a LONG way. While it may clutter up their e-mail, then can quickly read it and delete it. I wish the people I worked with said thank you more often. I can say that if I have something to do for two people at the same time, I will most likely do the task for the person that has said "Thank you" in the past before I do the other persons task.

elleon17's picture
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

sometimes I do, but mostly I don't.

I don't have a real rule for it, but I guess if their thank you was very big, all in caps, smiley faces, etc, then I will send a "you are very welcome, anytime" reply back. If it is a general thank you then I typically don't.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3187

I send emails ALL DAY LONG. I do a lot of thanking, don't really do the "you're welcome" because it gets excessive. If someone does something for me they get thanked for sure.

turtnjay's picture
Joined: 02/24/09
Posts: 2095

I usually do but it's more so the sender knows I got the information.

I'm really not sure why you wouldn't use the same manners IRL and email. Part of the problem with electronic communication is the lack of personal connection and imparting improper tone/meanings because 'they' can't hear those things from your voice.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I do thanks, but if someone sends me a "thanks!" email I don't reply "You're welcome" because it gets tedious.

lil96's picture
Joined: 03/27/06
Posts: 573

At my last workplace, people were obsessive with the thanks. I would get 10 emails/day that were thanks->you're welcome->I really appreciated it->no problem->it helped so much ->glad to be of service >>>>>ugh enough already! Literally each email was just a few words long.

Oh and we had the service where we could see that someone had read the email, so there wasn't much sense in sending so many msgs back and forth.

Joined: 11/29/06
Posts: 1316

I make a point of always saying "thank you" if someone does something for me.

If I did something for someone I would be mildly upset for a moment that I didn't get a "thank you" in return - verbal or written.
Also, if I sent a "thank you" e-mail I would not expect a "you're welcome" e-mail in return.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"KimPossible" wrote:

I know what you mean and no, i don't use the same manners for email that i do in real life.

Sometimes i feel very awkward even writing the "Thanks!" email in response if there really is nothing else to say but that...only because i know a lot of people don't like a lot of clutter in their emailbox and use it more as a tool to get things done...not have conversations.

I very often hem and haw a little about replaying to an email at work just to say "thanks!" Sometimes i do it...and other times i don't.

I never reply back to a Thanks email with a "your welcome" I figure at that point its implied Biggrin

I know what you mean. At my job, we have to email a lot of general inboxes, meaning that you get a response from whoever in that department has been assigned to check the inbox for the day (it is not their personal inbox.)

I always picture the person having to check the inbox yet again, only to find that it was just me, emailing to say "thanks". It almost seems like making extra nonsense work for them, if that makes sense, and it makes me hem and haw about whether or it is more polite to thank them or just leave them alone. LOL I usually end up thanking them though.

ETA: I never send "Your welcome" emails, nor do I expect them.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3312

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

I know what you mean. At my job, we have to email a lot of general inboxes, meaning that you get a response from whoever in that department has been assigned to check the inbox for the day (it is not their personal inbox.)

I always picture the person having to check the inbox yet again, only to find that it was just me, emailing to say "thanks". It almost seems like making extra nonsense work for them, if that makes sense, and it makes me hem and haw about whether or it is more polite to thank them or just leave them alone. LOL I usually end up thanking them though.

ETA: I never send "Your welcome" emails, nor do I expect them.

Right! And i mean people send out a "thanks" for REALLY small things, i mean very minor. Like sending a file via attachment, that we just talked about in person 10 minutes ago and you said "Thanks" to me then. But I send the file and stll get a "thanks!"

I do thank for some pretty small tasks, esp if they are a huge help. I had a question for our IT dept, it took one line of info for the guy to give me what i needed but it was a giant help, so i wrote back "Thank you!"

But, i don't know...i just feel like sometimes all the thanking is overdone. Important things come in via email...when my inbox dings, i check the email immediately to make sure its nothing important. I'm sure other people in my office are the same way. Being inundated with a thousand thank yous for the most menial of tasks just seems like overkill.

I know, i sound crotchety and unpleasant Biggrin

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

I usually send a "thank you" reply, especially if it's something I asked for, but I never send a "you're welcome" because we all get too much email as it is. Blum 3

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"KimPossible" wrote:

Right! And i mean people send out a "thanks" for REALLY small things, i mean very minor. Like sending a file via attachment, that we just talked about in person 10 minutes ago and you said "Thanks" to me then. But I send the file and stll get a "thanks!"

I do thank for some pretty small tasks, esp if they are a huge help. I had a question for our IT dept, it took one line of info for the guy to give me what i needed but it was a giant help, so i wrote back "Thank you!"

But, i don't know...i just feel like sometimes all the thanking is overdone. Important things come in via email...when my inbox dings, i check the email immediately to make sure its nothing important. I'm sure other people in my office are the same way. Being inundated with a thousand thank yous for the most menial of tasks just seems like overkill.

I know, i sound crotchety and unpleasant Biggrin

LOL Kim. I know exactly what you mean. I get literally about 200+ emails a day (my job is conducted almost completely through email) and I'm exactly the same way, I check it each time a new one comes in. Having people emailing to say thanks just adds to all of that, and I assume that others in my office feel the same way. I certainly don't want to add to anyone's work load or distract them from more important work for what really amounts to inconsequential social niceties. But I also don't want anyone to feel like their work is unappreciated, so I usually do thank people even for the small stuff on a "better safe than sorry" sort of theory.

Andy1784's picture
Joined: 09/18/08
Posts: 1372

Back at my last work, we had IT guys that ran some routine updates when we needed it sometimes a couple of times per week. They would email me when they were done because they did it remotely and that would be a signal that I could go back in to that particular program. It was very much a routine part of their job. I always thanked them, but questioned whether it was excessive.

My question was answered one day when I was having bigger computer issues and I needed some more in depth IT help. Usually there was a couple hour lag to get help, which was standard for my low priority issue. I had a guy pop up within 5 minutes. I told him "wow that was fast." He replied "we always make it a bigger priority if possible for those that are polite." I guess my thank yous weren't going unnoticed.

Joined: 06/04/07
Posts: 1368

I send a separate thank only when it's something over and above their job duties. If it's part of their job duties that I'm asking of them, I write a thank you in advance in the request email. I rarely write "you're welcome" unless someone is writing a huge thank you email where I feel compelled to respond.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

We have outlook and get a preview so I can usually tell when it's a thanks so don't have to open it, but we're programmers and I hate to think that someone catches an email out of the corner of their eye and gets distracted by it.

If I know they put extra effort into it, then I'll pick up the phone or walk down to tell them thank you (I typed this before, I wonder where it went?). Somebody just came back from leave and I'm literally forwarding emails to him all day (no problem, I'm happy because they are such nice guys!) that I sent his backup last week. Even though he can see I"m forwarding them, he still replies "Thank you!" It's sweet, but then I feel like I need to say "your welcome!"

RebeccaA'07's picture
Joined: 11/19/07
Posts: 1628

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

I send emails ALL DAY LONG. I do a lot of thanking, don't really do the "you're welcome" because it gets excessive. If someone does something for me they get thanked for sure.

Same here. I always send a thank you note back if someone has helped me. And most times, if they say thank you - I usually reply something to the effect of "Not a problem, let me know if I can help further". I do this just to maintain a great relationship with co-workers since I work remotely out of AR while they are in CA - I take the extra step.

Minx_Kristi's picture
Joined: 01/02/09
Posts: 1261

If someone is saying 'thank you' to me, I won't reply.

I too email lots of people in work, asking them to confirm they've seen clients face to face and they reply saying either yes or no. I don't reply with a 'thank you', simply because I don't really have the time.

It probably is bad on my part, yes.

xx

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

I get what you're saying, and no, I don't reply with a "you're welcome" email if someone says thank you...