UK's Death Pathway (Infant Death ment.) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: UK's Death Pathway (Infant Death ment.)

  1. #21
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,511

    Default

    Did you pick a country to move to on the other thread yet? Oh yeah, Italy, which sounds like they have as much of a problem with healthcare as the U.S.

    I simply don't buy your argument that doctors are going to stop performing things that aren't priced high enough. I believe most doctors have enough integrity to do what their patients need even if they don't get paid "enough" for it. It's not unheard of. Lawyers do pro bono work where they don't get paid at all, and dentists usually lose money on routine cleaning appointments. I just don't see all the doctors in the U.S. deciding together that they are going to boycott X procedure if they don't get more money for it.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  2. #22
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Sorry I disagree that dying of starvation and thirst is not suffering or inhumane.
    Neither is dying of cancer. Some of us just don't want it to be a drawn-out affair.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  3. #23
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wlillie View Post
    Um. People come one. Use some freaking logic. When these little committee's decide to set the price so low on procedures they don't deem beneficial for society, Dr's are going to STOP PERFORMING THEM> so it is the EXACT same thing, but if you'd prefer to bury your head in the sand, more power to you. It's far less stressful than to read and realize where our country is headed with this bill, I promise.
    What procedures are you referring to?

    I watched a segment on 60 Minutes on Health Management Associates.

    If you want to know why health care costs so much in this country, consider this, it's estimated that $210 billion a year -- about 10 percent of all health expenditures -- goes towards unnecessary tests and treatments and a big chunk of that comes right out of the pockets of American taxpayers in the form of Medicare and Medicaid payments.
    The doctors interviewed said the computer program would have a pop-up screen advising them to admit a patient. They had to override it. Clearly hospitals are going to make more money if they admit people who don't need to be admitted. They "quota" was somewhere around 20% of the patients seen should be admitted.

    Medical decisions need to be made my medical professionals and their patients.

  4. #24
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    What procedures are you referring to?

    I watched a segment on 60 Minutes on Health Management Associates.



    The doctors interviewed said the computer program would have a pop-up screen advising them to admit a patient. They had to override it. Clearly hospitals are going to make more money if they admit people who don't need to be admitted. They "quota" was somewhere around 20% of the patients seen should be admitted.

    Medical decisions need to be made my medical professionals and their patients.
    It doesn't bother you that that isn't going to be the case. Ask yourself who's really going to benefit from a committee paid to make decisions about healthcare costs and who will probably get bonuses for "saving" money.

    for all those that really think it's a great idea to let our federal government start being more in control of the costs and the decisions in healthcare: I have needed a 24 hour urine collection test that costs about $50 since September and called again today to see if there were any appts to get my doctor to put the lab request in. Got through to teh appointment line (yeah!) Spent well over 10 minutes with her telling me that she could only put in a phone consult unless something was actually wrong. Kept repeating I needed the appointment for preventative measures and when I finally got someone on the phone they had no appts for the month of December. (But the guy in my shop who just wanted a colonoscopy and I quote "just in case" got one a week after asking for it because his dumb *** thinks he has cancer because he's fat.)You may be thinking I was rude or ugly, but I called the first day and kissed all of those ladies' asses. Like hardcore sweetness because I know what happens if you don't play by the rules. Hubby waited a LONG time to get his diagnosis of cancer and then waited a long time after to get the treatment because he lost it on one of the Tricare people.

    ASk yourseelf when this coutnry started turning into a give me country. It was when the federal government and liberals started telling people that others owed them anything they had. I'm starting to get really mad. If you want healthcare costs covered, budget and buy your own ****ing insurance. Don't whine to some idiot Democrat in Congress and get a ****ing bill passed that most people that voted on it didn't even ****ing read. Get a ****ing job. Nobody owes anyone else a damn education, the costs of raising their kids, a car, a cell phone, or even a ****ing bandaid just because they happen to ask for it.
    Last edited by wlillie; 12-03-2012 at 08:42 PM.

  5. #25
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    OH, and I've never lived in Italy. I've never made any sacrifices for it and I don't know how it should be. I don't know (or give a ****) what their constitution says. I haven't learned way more than I ever want to know about in the last 9 years. So I'd rather start over in a place with ****ty healthcare and not waste my time doing something I used to think was for the greater good instead of for a bunch of really really stupid, whiny, assholes who can't think far enough ahead to waht they are doing to their children's futures by sticking their lazy grubby fat hands out and taking from those who are Allowed to MOVE OUT OF THE COUNTRY> Who can AFFORD to leave when the democrats have ****ed it up to the point where NO ONE WHO CAN Choose Stays here. When we are a ****ing second damn Mexico.

  6. #26
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,511

    Default

    And I could probably give you at least a dozen stories where I've had great experiences with my healthcare providers. I emailed a photo of some welts on Tiven's back to her ped, who replied that they could very well be a reaction to mosquito bites, give her ibuprofen and benadryl and call back if they get worse. I've done a phone consult when all I needed was a prescription refill. I can get a same day appointment if my kids are sick. On Tiven's due date my OB, knowing that I was planning a home birth, called to see if she'd been born yet and reminded me to make a ped's appointment whenever she arrived. When I left the hospital early after Weston was born (at 40 hours rather than the standard 96 hours for a c-section) a nurse called me at home the next day to check on us. My father-in-law has the same healthcare system, and he had his hip replaced within days after his doctor decided he needed that surgery. And there's an ad on TV right now about a woman who went in for a bad cold, the receptionist noticed that she was due for a mammogram, she got one that day, and they discovered breast cancer early enough to save her life. www.kp.org/mary

    Why are you so upset about being offered a phone consult when all you need is a referral to the lab? Won't you be wasting the doctor's time, your time, and your insurance money on an unnecessary office visit, which ends up costing everyone more money? I don't understand especially when you're so vocal about how our system is so screwed up. It's screwed up because people want to run to the doctor's office for every little thing and they want a prescription and lab test every time, too.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  7. #27
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,460

    Default

    I am really so saddened by this thread. My BFFs daughter was terminally ill, told by doctors so many times she was going to die. She would have been a perfect candidate for this "pathway" but she is now 11 and doing great medically. So many of the children that my friend has met in the hospital have been told by doctors they would die, not all of them have.
    I do not believe that doctors always have all the answers, they cannot know if a child has a will to live that well supersede any "terminal illness"

    I also do not understand why people are ok with the government making decisions like this, but not insurance? when the insurance companies deny claims people can go to the government to help either overturn that decision or get help paying. Where will people go when government is making these decisions?
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  8. #28
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    And I could probably give you at least a dozen stories where I've had great experiences with my healthcare providers. I emailed a photo of some welts on Tiven's back to her ped, who replied that they could very well be a reaction to mosquito bites, give her ibuprofen and benadryl and call back if they get worse. I've done a phone consult when all I needed was a prescription refill. I can get a same day appointment if my kids are sick. On Tiven's due date my OB, knowing that I was planning a home birth, called to see if she'd been born yet and reminded me to make a ped's appointment whenever she arrived. When I left the hospital early after Weston was born (at 40 hours rather than the standard 96 hours for a c-section) a nurse called me at home the next day to check on us. My father-in-law has the same healthcare system, and he had his hip replaced within days after his doctor decided he needed that surgery. And there's an ad on TV right now about a woman who went in for a bad cold, the receptionist noticed that she was due for a mammogram, she got one that day, and they discovered breast cancer early enough to save her life. www.kp.org/mary

    Why are you so upset about being offered a phone consult when all you need is a referral to the lab? Won't you be wasting the doctor's time, your time, and your insurance money on an unnecessary office visit, which ends up costing everyone more money? I don't understand especially when you're so vocal about how our system is so screwed up. It's screwed up because people want to run to the doctor's office for every little thing and they want a prescription and lab test every time, too.
    You have just proved Lillie's point. Government run tricare is really inefficient compared to private insurance
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  9. #29
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,768

    Default

    wlillie - are you ok? never heard you swearing on the debate board before.. have you been hijacked?
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  10. #30
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wlillie View Post
    OH, and I've never lived in Italy. I've never made any sacrifices for it and I don't know how it should be. I don't know (or give a ****) what their constitution says. I haven't learned way more than I ever want to know about in the last 9 years. So I'd rather start over in a place with ****ty healthcare and not waste my time doing something I used to think was for the greater good instead of for a bunch of really really stupid, whiny, assholes who can't think far enough ahead to waht they are doing to their children's futures by sticking their lazy grubby fat hands out and taking from those who are Allowed to MOVE OUT OF THE COUNTRY> Who can AFFORD to leave when the democrats have ****ed it up to the point where NO ONE WHO CAN Choose Stays here. When we are a ****ing second damn Mexico.


    And Lisa, if your BFF's daughter had "the will to live," then she would NOT be a candidate for this pathway. You don't mention what her "terminal" illness was, but I'm pretty sure that most people who are declared to be terminal really do die soon.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions