Uniforms or casual? - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 74
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Uniforms or casual?

  1. #51
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,930

    Default

    There are many good reasons to require uniforms and I think several have been listed in this thread. Not only does it level the playing field a bit, but it helps to keep the focus on academics and not clothing trends. Kids come up with plenty of distractions on their own, and if the school is able to eliminate one major distraction, then why shouldn't they? Wearing uniforms also helps to create a sense of unity and school pride. I really can't think of a negative when it comes to school uniforms....besides the initial cost of purchasing them of course.

  2. #52
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    See, I disagree with this. If you don't want your daughter wearing short shorts and bra straps hanging out, don't buy it for her, and don't let her out of the house dressed that way. But why should my kid have to wear the exact same clothes as everyone else (again, something I would personally hate) just because someone else doesn't want their daughter to dress a certain way, but apparently also wants the school to be the "bad guy" and mandate it?
    It wouldn't be my kid dressed like that but i don't want my kids to be around kids who dress like this....not just because of the actual dressing but more so the whole peer package that goes along. I realize a uniform by itself does not fix the upbringing, but it is just one more way to combat the never ending fashion expose (dont have an accent mark, sorry). The quest for fitting in is so high that kids go in and out of fashion trends so quickly and often feel it is detrimental to their social success. I would just rather avoid that whole thing. This was one of the reasons i hated school. This quest for x fashion was the reason it got a boy badly beaten up.
    Aisha

  3. #53
    Community Host Minx_Kristi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Isle of Man, UK - Anything Topic board Mod
    Posts
    3,731

    Default

    It's really interesting reading all your opinions on this.

    Here in the UK, no school no matter whether it's public or private does NOT require a uniform. It's quite good too because aswell as our local uniform store who provide the official uniforms, a lot of UK wholesalers now stock school uniforms at a much lower price. Last year, I got DDs trousers, polo shirt and a jumper from the uniform shop and it cost me $60! This year, I got them from the wholesaler and it cost me $30, big big difference.

    IMO, uniforms are good. When you see a group of 4 yr olds wearing the same, they all look very smart and I do think it makes them realise that school is where you learn. I was so excited to buy DDs uniform because to me it sort of confirmed that she was turning into a "big girl" and I guess because I made a fuss she felt the same way too. My favourite part of having a uniform was not worrying what I was going to wear.

    I think the downside of uniforms are that in some places it can accentuate gang culture. I have probably used the wrong wording here, but I know that some schools have issues with each other and the uniform tells everyone what school you attend and can cause you massive problems in certain places.

    xx
    Me - Kristi, 30
    DD - Leia, July 5 2008

    I luurrrrrve to lurk!

  4. #54
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,573

    Default

    I do have to admit that I did like wearing a uniform at the Catholic high school I attended because I liked being recognized as a "Mercy Girl" but that experience actually helped me decide that I'm anti-uniform. It didn't make getting dressed any faster or easier; I can't be the only kid in the U.S. who wore pretty much the same kind of thing every day anyway; my morning was, grab a pair of pants, grab a top, grab shoes, done. My parents had less money to buy other clothes to wear afternoons & weekends so my entire wardrobe was cut as a result of wearing a uniform, and that definitely impacted my sense of style & individuality. And it certainly didn't contribute to equalizing the students because someone dressed in a knock-off brand polo shirt & cotton cardigan was clearly less well-off than someone in a silk blouse & cashmere sweater. I much prefer a good dress code that allows some freedom of choice.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  5. #55
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    It wouldn't be my kid dressed like that but i don't want my kids to be around kids who dress like this....not just because of the actual dressing but more so the whole peer package that goes along. I realize a uniform by itself does not fix the upbringing, but it is just one more way to combat the never ending fashion expose (dont have an accent mark, sorry). The quest for fitting in is so high that kids go in and out of fashion trends so quickly and often feel it is detrimental to their social success. I would just rather avoid that whole thing. This was one of the reasons i hated school. This quest for x fashion was the reason it got a boy badly beaten up.
    I feel like you should only have a say in what your kid does, and not be able to enforce your fashion sense on other parents' kids.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  6. #56
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I feel like you should only have a say in what your kid does, and not be able to enforce your fashion sense on other parents' kids.
    Lucky for me that my children go to a school where other parents feel as I do =)
    Aisha

  7. #57
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    Lucky for me that my children go to a school where other parents feel as I do =)
    Yes, if all of the parents agree, you're in luck.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  8. #58
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    It wouldn't be my kid dressed like that but i don't want my kids to be around kids who dress like this....not just because of the actual dressing but more so the whole peer package that goes along. I realize a uniform by itself does not fix the upbringing, but it is just one more way to combat the never ending fashion expose (dont have an accent mark, sorry). The quest for fitting in is so high that kids go in and out of fashion trends so quickly and often feel it is detrimental to their social success. I would just rather avoid that whole thing. This was one of the reasons i hated school. This quest for x fashion was the reason it got a boy badly beaten up.
    Or it goes the other way and actually perpetuates the idea that clothes make you who you are because you put more importance on the fewer things you *do* get to choose. If you only get three pairs of non-uniform pants, aren't you going to want them *all* to be the latest & greatest? Whereas if you have eight pairs, a couple of them might be something you like even if they aren't "in." And personally, I hope to raise my kids to be individualists who could care less about "fitting in" and who feel good in their own skins and their own clothes.

    And I kind of like seeing how other parents let their kids dress for school because it gives me some sense of "who they are" as parents. I'm not sure I want to encourage Tiven to pursue a friendship with someone whose parents have so little common sense to let an 8yo wear super-tight jeans and an intentionally-cropped top that doesn't cover her belly when she lifts her arms. Tiven has the exact same shirt & asked why "Jane's" is missing the bottom half. I said it's because I'm not Jane's mom.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  9. #59
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,628

    Default

    And the kids are going to wear what they want on weekends anyway, when they all see each other, so it's not like it takes away that whole issue of clothing. It just moves it to the weekends.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  10. #60
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    And the kids are going to wear what they want on weekends anyway, when they all see each other, so it's not like it takes away that whole issue of clothing. It just moves it to the weekends.
    See, I like that. I'd rather I deal with issues to do with my kids clothing than have to worry about following all of the crazy rules some dress codes have. Or worry that the teacher is going to be so busy tending to the kid who's parents don't dress them appropriately to teach the full lesson they planned. Or that the principal is going to decide he doesn't like a slogan on my kid's t-shirt and have them in detention or send them home because of an ambiguous policy that he interprets.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions