Universal basic income - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Universal basic income

  1. #21
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuchsiasky View Post
    But Disability isn't there for us. We have been denied. Once because it could have been a preexisting condition and once because I make too much (the threshold for a couple is less than $2000 a month!). We will try for a pension. If that fails, that's it. No income. Period. The system sucks.

    What if I had been able to take time off to care for him? I was useless when he was sick. I had so much on my plate it was crazy! I was told by my docs to take time off...and I couldn't. No income. There are many reasons to not work that are very valid. This is but one. There will always be people who take advantage and are lazy. We currently pay them to breath as they are prime candidates for the welfare system already.
    That's why I think we need to fix the system. You SHOULD have been able to take time off, and I'm so sorry you were denied disability. I think it's for people in your situation and it's terrible that you didn't get it.

    I just don't think the "solution" of giving a specific amount of money to everyone randomly actually solves any existing problem.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  2. #22
    Posting Addict mom2robbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuchsiasky View Post
    We will try for a pension. If that fails, that's it. No income. Period. The system sucks.
    We are in the same position, I have now applied for CPP-Disability. If I am lucky I will get about $800/month which is about 30% of what I used to make It is better then nothing but DH has to work a second job right now. It sucks. I hope your DH is approved.
    Margaret (44)
    Sean (38 )
    Robbie (8 )
    Bailey (April 2, 2011)


    "The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind." Caroline Myss

  3. #23
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,532

    Default

    There may be big problems with disability, so fix disability. This is not the answer.

    ~Bonita~

  4. #24
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    There are a great many that would not. In a scenario like this, the people who are honourable and do work would be forced to pay for the bums that do not want to do anything but watch TV all day.

    It would be like if I told my girls to clean their room. Alyssa hurried up and cleaned her room and did a great job. Brianna who doesn't like to clean her room putters around and doesn't clean her room. When Alyssa is done cleaning her room I tell her that she now has to go clean Brianna's room too. It is punishing those that work hard and rewarding those that do not.
    Your example assumes that cleaning your room is a punishment - for both girls.

    You could substitute a lot of things in place of cleaning your room and the task can go from being dreadful to being enjoyable.

    .

  5. #25
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    Your example assumes that cleaning your room is a punishment - for both girls.

    You could substitute a lot of things in place of cleaning your room and the task can go from being dreadful to being enjoyable.

    .
    I promise you that my girls would not volunteer to clean their room on a regular basis without being told to do so. I also do not think the majority of people would go into work every day if they did not half to. Sure, some people love their job and would just because they wanted to. But not the people scrubbing toilets or working in a hot kitchen.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #26
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I promise you that my girls would not volunteer to clean their room on a regular basis without being told to do so. I also do not think the majority of people would go into work every day if they did not half to. Sure, some people love their job and would just because they wanted to. But not the people scrubbing toilets or working in a hot kitchen.
    You're placing your value judgments on others.

    The majority of the people I know and encounter on a daily basis would work. They might find a different job that they enjoy more, but they would still work. What motivates people to volunteer their time? What motivates people who are multi-millionaires to keep working?

    .
    fuchsiasky likes this.

  7. #27
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,532

    Default

    I know of many, many people that would stay home with their kids if they had the opportunity. People who would retire if they could and are just putting in time until they are old enough. The loss in job force would not make this situation possible. There are many undesirable low wage jobs out there. Who would fill those positions.

    ~Bonita~

  8. #28
    Prolific Poster Danifo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    When I volunteered and did tasks I didn't enjoy, it was tempered by the knowledge I was helping someone. I did not get that nice feeling when working as a chambermaid where people could make a room disgusting in one night.

    My understanding is that you are guaranteed to make a certain amount. If you make more, you don't get the amount. If you make less, you are topped up. If you do nothing, you get the full amount. I'm going to be honest. My chambermaid job was minimum wage. If I knew I would earn the same amount sitting at home as cleaning up a stranger's pee covered bathroom, I would stay home. I would probably try to find something else but I could take my time and be choosey because I wouldn't need the money. I don't think other people would be seeking out the chambermaid job!

    I think there would be a trickle down effect and in the end, things would cost more. If the grocery store can't get people to work for the current salary because it is too close to the base value people get if they stay home, they have to raise prices to pay higher salaries. Same at McDonalds and the gas stations and anywhere else. How long would $2800 stay a living salary?
    AlyssaEimers and GloriaInTX like this.
    DD1 July 2008 (41w3d)
    November 2010 (13 weeks)
    DD2 August 2011 (33w5d)

  9. #29
    Posting Addict fuchsiasky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    5,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom2robbie View Post
    We are in the same position, I have now applied for CPP-Disability. If I am lucky I will get about $800/month which is about 30% of what I used to make It is better then nothing but DH has to work a second job right now. It sucks. I hope your DH is approved.
    CPP Disability is our last hope. $800 a month would help so much right now, as little as it is. If we don't get that we are in a bit of financial trouble. At least there are food banks and such. And I can't get a second job or a better one right now as Rob can't take Kaiya to school and my job allows me great flexibility to do what we need. They have been so kind to us! When she is older I will have to find a job that pays more. And we won't be able to help DSD with a place to live while she is in college. She will have to move out after highschool so we can downsize. It has completely changed our lives and if Rob had an income it wouldn't have.

    I didn't realize with my great support that it was money for all. I am completely behind a guaranteed income supplement, but I think if you are making that much or more that you shouldn't get the money. I would love to see a living wage for all so that if you drop below a certain amount (like the $2800 a month) then you get supplemented. I am sure many people would love to make more money than that! But the poverty that welfare inflicts isn't actually helpful. A guaranteed living amount that is enough to live off of would help IMO.
    Me- Fuchsia
    My Wonderful Partner - Rob
    DD - December 17 2008
    DSD 15
    DSS 18
    Feline Furbabies - Sophie and Indigo

    Little Babe 22/12/05


  10. #30
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danifo View Post
    When I volunteered and did tasks I didn't enjoy, it was tempered by the knowledge I was helping someone. I did not get that nice feeling when working as a chambermaid where people could make a room disgusting in one night.

    My understanding is that you are guaranteed to make a certain amount. If you make more, you don't get the amount. If you make less, you are topped up. If you do nothing, you get the full amount. I'm going to be honest. My chambermaid job was minimum wage. If I knew I would earn the same amount sitting at home as cleaning up a stranger's pee covered bathroom, I would stay home. I would probably try to find something else but I could take my time and be choosey because I wouldn't need the money. I don't think other people would be seeking out the chambermaid job!

    I think there would be a trickle down effect and in the end, things would cost more. If the grocery store can't get people to work for the current salary because it is too close to the base value people get if they stay home, they have to raise prices to pay higher salaries. Same at McDonalds and the gas stations and anywhere else. How long would $2800 stay a living salary?
    The proposals that are floating around the world vary a lot. But the basic idea is, no matter what you do, if you?re a resident ? or in some cases, a citizen ? you get a certain amount of money each month. And it?s completely unconditional: If you?re rich you get it, if you?re poor you get. If you?re a good person you get it, if you?re a bad person you get it. And it does not depend on you doing anything other than making whatever effort is involved to collect the money. It?s been a topic of discussion for several decades. Why is it happening right now? I think it?s obvious that it?s a reaction to the high level of economic inequality that we?ve seen. Most European countries haven?t had big increases in inequality at the same scale that we [in the U.S.] have, [but] some of them have had much more than they?re used to.
    My understanding is that everyone gets it regardless of how much they earn otherwise. If you earn nothing, you would get $2800/month. If you earn $30000/monthy you would still get it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions