Valentine's Day (fluff)

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541
Valentine's Day (fluff)

Do you do anything special for your DH/SO for Valentine's day? What do you do?

For us it is the anniversary of our first date so I always try to do something. This year I am not sure what to do, we have been together for 12 years this February 14th.

ClairesMommy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

Nope, we don't do Valentines. I mean, we might exchange cards, but that is it. No dinner out, no obligatory stuff. Our most romantic times together have been on ordinary days with no preset agenda that just turn into these awesome moments of complete togetherness and intimacy (with or without sex). It's the days when I just look at him and get tears in my eyes that make those run-of-the-mill days better than any Valentines Day. Oh Lord, that was mushy.

Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

We don't do Valentine's Day either...neither one of us really connects with it. I always found it really annoying when I was single, so I don't see any reason to embrace it now. Our first date anniversary is the 18th, so we do something romantic then instead.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I like valentines day! Mostly because its fun with the kids. We exchange cards and I always get flowers, but we have DH birthday right before our anniversary the week of, and ds' birthday is the day before vday. We have enough real holidays to celebrate to get too worked over that one Smile

MissyJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/31/02
Posts: 3289

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

Nope, we don't do Valentines. I mean, we might exchange cards, but that is it. No dinner out, no obligatory stuff. Our most romantic times together have been on ordinary days with no preset agenda that just turn into these awesome moments of complete togetherness and intimacy (with or without sex). It's the days when I just look at him and get tears in my eyes that make those run-of-the-mill days better than any Valentines Day. Oh Lord, that was mushy.

Aw..... Now you just have to print this out and draw hearts around it and you've got your perfect Valentine to give him this year! LOL

(Seriously -- that is a sweet sentiment and one I share!)

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

I remember this debate from last year. I love Valentines Day. We normally go out to dinner. I am not super big on cards, but DH usally buys me flowers or something and I normally buy him either candy or something personal. This year DH works his 2nd job on that day so we are celebrating the Sunday evening before.

Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2256

We used to go out to eat but with the kids we get takeout and chill. Kids get little presents and we exchange cards. I get to watch a romantic movie of my choosing (per DH a "chick flick") but nothing extraordinary.

Spacers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 days ago
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

Nope. It's a non-holiday for us. Our together anniversary is the week before so that's what we will celebrate. (28 years. I'd put an exclamation point there instead of a period if he wasn't being such a jerk lately.) I don't even get excited about it for the kids, it's such a waste of paper & time, and so many give out candy despite the school rules against it. Nope, don't like it one bit.

ClairesMommy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"MissyJ" wrote:

Aw..... Now you just have to print this out and draw hearts around it and you've got your perfect Valentine to give him this year! LOL

(Seriously -- that is a sweet sentiment and one I share!)

Thanks Missy. I feel a bit of a goof spilling it like that, but sometimes just can't help it Smile

DD is totally into giving Valentines for her friends and classmates, and I have no problem with that. I used to be crazy over it too when I was a kid.

ClairesMommy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Spacers" wrote:

Nope. It's a non-holiday for us. Our together anniversary is the week before so that's what we will celebrate. (28 years. I'd put an exclamation point there instead of a period if he wasn't being such a jerk lately.) I don't even get excited about it for the kids, it's such a waste of paper & time, and so many give out candy despite the school rules against it. Nope, don't like it one bit.

Holy crap! 28 YEARS???? Wow. But, sorry he's being a jerk. As I often say....Mens is so stupid sometimes. :bigarmhug:

Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

Oh, I like getting a little something for the kids. That part's fun.

ftmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

I love Valentines day! It is 2 days after my birthday and has always been one of my favorite holidays. The kids and I love to make Valentines for all their friends. I am hoping to not give candy this year.....maybe salt dough necklaces or 'love bugs'. I have already started pinning ideas for the kids to choose from Smile

That said, DH and I dont do much. Because my birthday is on the 12th, we traditionally go out for dinner on the 13th when things are less busy and it is right between the two. Not sure when the last time we actually made that date though Smile Babies do get in the way of these things, not to mention DH is in court all that day this year and probably wont want to go out after.

mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

We have never gone for dinner on V-day and I am allergic to flowers. One year Sean gave me a diamond necklace and earrings :love10: I joke about it being the first jewelry he ever bought me (our wedding/engagement rings were his parents). I want to do something special for him but I just can't think of anything. I proposed 4 days later (yes, I am insane and yes in the same year) so we could do something on the 18th, I just don't know....

Spacers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 days ago
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

I don't think we've ever gone out on Valentine's Day, either. What about a romantic dinner at home? Put Robbie to bed a bit early, light some candles, and open a bottle of nice wine. This casserole would be a pretty nice thing you could make ahead & pop in the oven at dinnertime. (Cut it in half, she's feeding a big family.) DH & I have had many nice dinners after the kids are asleep, and dance parties, too!

There are many flowers that are pollen-free that shouldn't irritate your allergies -- anything "double-blossomed," is a hybrid and virtually pollen free. Rosebuds are beautiful and when closed up they can't release their pollen, but you'll want to give them away when they start to open. And ask your florist to remove the stamens of lilies for you. I did a lot of research on this for my wedding!

ange84's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 12/28/09
Posts: 6564

My hubby will be working like pretty much every other holiday ( he gets Good Friday off only usually). Hubby sometimes goes and does something sweet for me like flowers. I wish we could have a nice dinner. I am thinking of putting a pasta sauce in the crock pot and saying I have a big day at work so we are having spaghetti for dinner, which is what DS and I will have, but making him his own personal lasagna and putting it in the fridge for him to reheat when he gets home that night.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/28/06
Posts: 848

Valentine's Day annoys me. Always has. I'm not into the cheap chocolates, chalky heart candies, tacky stuffed animals, and cheesy cards. (I do realize that I sound extremely unloving and bitter and I swear, I'm not!) Hubby and I don't exchange gifts and my kids have enough "stuff" as it is. I think this year though, I will surprise them with some love notes on their door. I'm really into writing sweet notes to my kids and they get super excited over my pathetic attempts at artwork.

GloriaInTX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4230

I think of Valentines Day as more of a kids holiday, just a fun day for them to exchange cards at school. We rarely go out on Valentines day because it just isn't worth fighting the crowds just to go out on that day. We exchange cards and thats about it.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

The ideas on Valentines Day always surprise me. I am really looking forward to it.

mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

I think (if I can sneak it away) that I will get his 10th anniversary ring engraved. He does not wear his ring all the time so I should be able to sneak it away (and get it fixed so he can wear it all the time).

For Robbie, every year I buy a special valentine's book - I Love You Forever, Guess How Much I Love You, How does a dinosaur say I love you, etc. This year I picked a chapter book "The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever".

mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

So just to update everyone... I decided to take in Sean's 10th anniversary ring and get the back filled so it will fit nicer and he will stop getting rashes on his finger. I also asked them to engrave "I love you" on it. It will not be done until next week but that is ok because we really trust this jeweler, he has done awesome work for us before. He knows part of what I am doing and knows that his ring will be late. I have a card for him and a big dark chocolate bar (his favourite) for him as well. Hard to believe our fist date was 12 years ago, some ways it feels shorter and some ways longer.

ftmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

"mom2robbie" wrote:

So just to update everyone... I decided to take in Sean's 10th anniversary ring and get the back filled so it will fit nicer and he will stop getting rashes on his finger. I also asked them to engrave "I love you" on it. It will not be done until next week but that is ok because we really trust this jeweler, he has done awesome work for us before. He knows part of what I am doing and knows that his ring will be late. I have a card for him and a big dark chocolate bar (his favourite) for him as well. Hard to believe our fist date was 12 years ago, some ways it feels shorter and some ways longer.

Thats awesome! The open spaces on my rings give me rashes too, so I know he will appreciate that. Even when I am a good weight to wear mine, I have to take breaks to let my fingers heal.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3475

"mom2robbie" wrote:

Do you do anything special for your DH/SO for Valentine's day? What do you do?

For us it is the anniversary of our first date so I always try to do something. This year I am not sure what to do, we have been together for 12 years this February 14th.

Valentine's day is exactly a week after my birthday and typically we end up going out for my birthday.

Really Valentine's day comes at the end of such a long run of stuff that we typically skip it. Christmas, then Seamus' birthday, then Cecilia's birthday then My birthday.....valentine's day? eh.

My SIL actually offerred to watch our kids this Thursday night if we wanted to go out for dinner. I can honestly tell you we are considering not bothering. We just went out to our favorite restaurant last Friday for my birthday (and we are going there again in March to meet a friend from out of town).

I know...we are crazy to pass up an opportunity to go out...but sometimes you just feel like you have to sit still, you know?

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

"KimPossible" wrote:

Valentine's day is exactly a week after my birthday and typically we end up going out for my birthday.

Really Valentine's day comes at the end of such a long run of stuff that we typically skip it. Christmas, then Seamus' birthday, then Cecilia's birthday then My birthday.....valentine's day? eh.

My SIL actually offerred to watch our kids this Thursday night if we wanted to go out for dinner. I can honestly tell you we are considering not bothering. We just went out to our favorite restaurant last Friday for my birthday (and we are going there again in March to meet a friend from out of town).

I know...we are crazy to pass up an opportunity to go out...but sometimes you just feel like you have to sit still, you know?

Happy Belated Birthday!

ClairesMommy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"ftmom" wrote:

Thats awesome! The open spaces on my rings give me rashes too, so I know he will appreciate that. Even when I am a good weight to wear mine, I have to take breaks to let my fingers heal.

My wedding ring was doing that too - it's a flat band with channel set diamonds and I was constantly breaking out in a terrible, eczema-like rash. I took it into Spence for a good ultrasonic cleaning and haven't broken out since. It was just gunk and cleaning products and chemicals all stuck in the holes that was making me break out. I knew it had to be something to do with that and not the gold itself since my engagement ring never gives me a rash. A great way to clean your rings at home is with toothpaste!

mom3girls's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1537

Can I say how much I LOATHE valentines day? Dumbest holiday ever. I pretty much refuse to do anything for DH on Vday (besides maybe a little extra nookie) and I dont want anything from him either.

Yesterday I heard my 10 year old tell DH that she saw an ad for a bracelet, roses, and chocolate for $99. She thought he should buy that for me. My 5 year old was walking through the room and said "Nope, Mommy likes boots better" She knows me so well

ClairesMommy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I am off work today for a whole slew of appts so after I'm done I'm going to get some red velvet cake mix and do mini cupcakes with pink frosting. Tomorrow is their V-day thing at school because Thurs and Fri there's no school. I should've been a teacher. I think they have one extra extra long weekend every month - at least 4 or sometimes 5 days off in a row.

mom3girls's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1537

Oh I did buy some AWESOME band aids for my kids this year, I may give them to the kids on Thursday if I can wait that long. Check out Perpetual Kid.com funny stuff

mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

My wedding ring was doing that too - it's a flat band with channel set diamonds and I was constantly breaking out in a terrible, eczema-like rash. I took it into Spence for a good ultrasonic cleaning and haven't broken out since. It was just gunk and cleaning products and chemicals all stuck in the holes that was making me break out. I knew it had to be something to do with that and not the gold itself since my engagement ring never gives me a rash. A great way to clean your rings at home is with toothpaste!

We took it in for a cleaning and within a week he has an issue again, it is like his skin gets sucked up into the area, and the rest of the ring that is filled does not have the issue

ftmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

I am pretty sure that moisture gets trapped in the cavity under mine, and I do have really bad blistering eczema that flairs up from it, I think. Might try getting them cleaned though and see if that makes a difference. I could see if they had a bacteria or something inside it, that the moisture would make it worse.

mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

"ftmom" wrote:

I am pretty sure that moisture gets trapped in the cavity under mine, and I do have really bad blistering eczema that flairs up from it, I think. Might try getting them cleaned though and see if that makes a difference. I could see if they had a bacteria or something inside it, that the moisture would make it worse.

probably, the jeweler we use figured that the fill and cleaning would take care of it, Sean is an engineer for the oil fields and tends to work in messy environments and I don't know how good he is at taking his ring off at work

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3475

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Happy Belated Birthday!

Thanks Bonita! Smile

ftmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

So far today the kids had heart shaped cinnamon toast and heart strawberries for breakfast, DD will be having an apple with a carved heart for recess and heart shaped cheese, meat and strawberries, plus garlic bread with a painted heart for lunch. She also has a special heart note from mommy in there. DS will probably get a heart shaped grilled cheese and strawberries for lunch. We also made heart necklaces with salt dough for Valentines, that they are both taking so school for their friends. DD is wearing her shirt with a jeweled heart and heart baretts, and both kids are wearing heart pins. Not sure yet what I will do for dinner, but pretty sure we will have heart shaped steamed carrots.

Like I said, this is my favorite 'holiday'! I am proud that we have only spent $.89 for salt to make salt dough, and other than that, it is all things we already had, just fancied up. We are also not doing candy, which is important to me. I am sure they will get some at school, but I dont need to add to that.

DD also got all our stuff ready for us this morning, to help me out, because it is a special day to show people you love them, which makes me smile Smile

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!!!!!

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

Happy Valentines Day everyone! DH had tulips delivered last night. DH works both jobs today so I will only see him for dinner. I am making beef roast with mashed potatoes and corn with Sparkling grape juice. The girls had two different Valentines parties yesterday. One with the Homeschool group and one at church.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"ftmom" wrote:

So far today the kids had heart shaped cinnamon toast and heart strawberries for breakfast, DD will be having an apple with a carved heart for recess and heart shaped cheese, meat and strawberries, plus garlic bread with a painted heart for lunch. She also has a special heart note from mommy in there. DS will probably get a heart shaped grilled cheese and strawberries for lunch. We also made heart necklaces with salt dough for Valentines, that they are both taking so school for their friends. DD is wearing her shirt with a jeweled heart and heart baretts, and both kids are wearing heart pins. Not sure yet what I will do for dinner, but pretty sure we will have heart shaped steamed carrots.

Like I said, this is my favorite 'holiday'! I am proud that we have only spent $.89 for salt to make salt dough, and other than that, it is all things we already had, just fancied up. We are also not doing candy, which is important to me. I am sure they will get some at school, but I dont need to add to that.

DD also got all our stuff ready for us this morning, to help me out, because it is a special day to show people you love them, which makes me smile Smile

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!!!!!

Wow, that's great! I am jealous that you have so much energy and holiday spirit!

Valentine's Day is a very small deal in our house. I let T get Valentines to give to his friends and helped him write them out a couple of nights ago, which he loved. I remember loving that as a kid too; picking out just the right Valentine for each of my friends out of the assorted box. Smile He does that too, even this young, saying "We have to give Isis the one with the Pink Power ranger because she is her favorite. And the blue one for Neal because he likes swords...." LOL

My dad always got my brother and I each our own small box of chocolates on Valentine's Day (I guess his dad did the same for him and his brothers and sisters when they were kids) so that is one tradition that I hold to. I got T a small box of chocolates, and a cute card on it. DH got T a book (the next Diary of a Wimpy Kid book; we are working our way through that series.) So it's really a bigger deal for T than for anyone else.

DH and I will give each other cards, and a kiss, and that's about it. We just don't really make a big deal over this particular holiday. I don't actively dislike it, but it's not one that has a lot of connection for me, other than the parent-giving-a-box-of-chocolates-to-the-kids thing. We're not even going out to eat or anything. I'm just making chicken and rice soup and biscuits because it's cold and snowy out. Romantic! LOL

mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

We had a low key day. Robbie made cards for us that made us both cry, Sean's said "daddy, you are my hero" and mine said "mommy, I love you". I spent last night in the ER - turns out that I pulled a muscle coughing which made breathing difficult. With being so sick with the cold Sean took Robbie to McD's for supper while I slept. Sean and I went out to breakfast this morning which was really nice.

ftmom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

Good thing the kids and I had a special day together today, cause I saw DH for about 10 minutes this morning, and thats it! Not that we had anything planned, but it sucks that he is still at work. Stupid armed robbers!

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

"mom2robbie" wrote:

We had a low key day. Robbie made cards for us that made us both cry, Sean's said "daddy, you are my hero" and mine said "mommy, I love you". I spent last night in the ER - turns out that I pulled a muscle coughing which made breathing difficult. With being so sick with the cold Sean took Robbie to McD's for supper while I slept. Sean and I went out to breakfast this morning which was really nice.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

ClairesMommy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

So, I said DH and I don`t do anything for each other for valentines, which we never have, until today when he comes home with a card that says this: (and hellz ya, I shed a few tears)

There are so many thing to love about you
Your smile and beautiful spirit,
Your good heart and the way you look after people
All those things that make you so wonderfully you
Are also things that - believe it or not - have made me a better me.
Day by day, I watch how you love life and give love
And I`m inspired to be the best man I can be, the kind of husband you deserve.

Le sigh...... I love me my Michael....

Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

We don't do Valentine's Day, really. I bought the kids small heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, but they got a ton of crap at school (a disturbing amount of candy came home -- are parents really sending candy for their kids to give out to the class? yes!) and they gave out cards and had class parties. My husband's parents and my grandmother always send them cards.

Our first date anniversary is this Monday and that is when we get more sappy and romantic. (We try to be somewhat sappy and romantic regularly anyway!) I have the day off, the kids are off too but we have a sitter, so I'm hoping he can take the day off and we can spend some time together. We met online so our first date was the first time we met in person. (The rest is history...)

So yeah...no Valentine's Day things for us. I made heart-shaped cookies with my daughter on Sunday though.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3475

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

We don't do Valentine's Day, really. I bought the kids small heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, but they got a ton of crap at school (a disturbing amount of candy came home -- are parents really sending candy for their kids to give out to the class? yes!) and they gave out cards and had class parties. My husband's parents and my grandmother always send them cards.

Our first date anniversary is this Monday and that is when we get more sappy and romantic. (We try to be somewhat sappy and romantic regularly anyway!) I have the day off, the kids are off too but we have a sitter, so I'm hoping he can take the day off and we can spend some time together. We met online so our first date was the first time we met in person. (The rest is history...)

So yeah...no Valentine's Day things for us. I made heart-shaped cookies with my daughter on Sunday though.

Oh tell me about the candy! Drives me friggin nuts. Its like second Halloween. And I mean some people get REAAALY elaborate with their school valentines. Really, what was wrong with just passing out cards?

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Margaret - Hope you're feeling better today!

Please don't tell me that passing out candy is now what is expected at school on V Day. Seriously, aren't cards enough?

Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

Margaret -- I hope you are feeling better! Meant to say that in my last post.

The candy thing drives me nuts. It has to be the parents, and it's WAY over the top. We just sent in cards, those ones where you buy a million in one pack.

Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2256

In E's preschool it wasn't expected but last year they did do treats. I bought little packs of goldfish and taped her Hello Kitty cards to them. She came home with lots of cards and some treats...stickers, pencils, a few candies. I always had candy during Valentine's so I didn't realize it wasn't the norm to not bring candy.

Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

The amount of candy my kids came home with was crazy. It was almost Halloweeny.

GloriaInTX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4230

Everyone here tapes some kind of candy or pencils or something to the Valentines. My kids would feel left out if they took in plain cards. In fact now they sell the Valentines packaged that way in the store with the card and the candy included.

Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Everyone here tapes some kind of candy or pencils or something to the Valentines. My kids would feel left out if they took in plain cards. In fact now they sell the Valentines packaged that way in the store with the card and the candy included.

I remember the good old days when it was just cheesy tiny cards. I choo-choo-choose you. (a la Lisa Simpson)

GloriaInTX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4230

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

I remember the good old days when it was just cheesy tiny cards. I choo-choo-choose you. (a la Lisa Simpson)

They never make Valentines boxes at school anymore either. At least they haven't been here. That was half the fun getting to make a fancy box to hold your cards.

SID081108's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

My daughter (pre-K) made a cute bag to hold her cards. (But yeah, the boxes were fun.) And yes, she came home with a crap-load of candy as well. I specifically don't send candy, but I do look for something fun, not just plain cards. I found valentines that had those little pills that you put in water and they open up to a sponge shaped like something. My daughter was thrilled and the kids loved them. The teacher even got out little plastic cups and let the kids do them in class, which I thought was really nice.

DH and I don't do much. I got him cards from me and the girls, and a bottle of hennessy black that he's been wanting but would never spend the money on. He bought me a Fossil watch earlier this week "for no reason" (he swore it was not for Valentine's Day, he just saw it and knew I would like it) and then gave me a card and a balloon yesterday. We generally play it pretty low-key, we never go out to dinner, and we make it mostly about the kids.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3475

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Margaret - Hope you're feeling better today!

Please don't tell me that passing out candy is now what is expected at school on V Day. Seriously, aren't cards enough?

Alissa, I'd definitely say that at my kids schools it feels expected, as in, if you don't do it, you feel a little bit funny. I had two of my kids with me when i got the valentines this year. Lillian picked out the ones she wanted to give and they did NOT have anything with them. Nathalie picked out some that came with pencils and I got a box for Aodhan that had little tattoos included.

What they came home with....almost all candy and a few tattoos. Someone else had gone through the trouble of crating little heart shaped multi-colored crayons (they looked home grown) and doing some hand made cards. Others built paper hearts with legs and arms made out of sleeves of little candy balls. Even Cecilia...who is only 3, came home with a boatload of candy from her card swap at my DCP's house. I sent her to daycare with just cards...some of them home made because i ran out...with nothing attached to them. I mean some of the kids there with her are babies!

Anyway...we were definitely outliars not including candy

Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3348

At our school they do still decorate the bags themselves, in class. Phew!

But yeah, we were the outliers too but I think they're used to us by now. They always assign us the easiest things for the class parties too....we're so lame.

ange84's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 12/28/09
Posts: 6564

Valentines for kids aren't big here, but I made the little heart shaped crayons for DS's friends at daycare. They were actually quite quick and easy and I just printed some strips which said 'you make my day bright' and popped them in the pockets where notes go. I think two people have collected them so far but both were excited and surprised and thought it was so cute. I also try to do Christmas cards for all the kids and this year will find an age appropriate craft to do with DS to add to them.

Pages