Voting changes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Voting changes

  1. #1
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,272

    Default Voting changes

    I was reading up on NC's new voter laws that would penalize parents whose children register to vote where they attend college. Parents would no longer be able to claim their children as dependents on state taxes.

    One of the articles was linked to an article on a similar law in IN. Those who paid out-of-state tuition were not allowed to vote.

    What was very interesting to me was that some of the comments agreed with those paying out-of-state tuition not being able to vote because they don't live in the community and don't have a vested interest. Someone pointed out that the military isn't there permanently either. The response was that military should also not vote for the same reason.

    So what do you think?

  2. #2
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    On the application to establish residency for Ball State, one of the questions asks where the student is registered to vote. With the new law, it sounds like you wouldn't be able to register to vote in the state until after you've established in-state residency.

    In areas of my community, people sometimes move every 6 months - 1 year when their leases are up. I'm right on the boundary between to US Congressmen so if I moved 3 miles south, I would cross districts. Point being, why would moving every 6 months not be an issue for voting but a college student living in the surrounding area of their college for approximately 4 years be an issue? With the exception of US Senators, every term is 4 years or fewer.

  3. #3
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,551

    Default

    When I went to college in TN and was a resident of NY, I had to absentee ballet in NY elections. I could not vote in TN until after I became a resident of that state and had my drivers licence changed to TN. I would think you could only vote in the State that matched your drivers licence.

    ~Bonita~

  4. #4
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    When I went to college in TN and was a resident of NY, I had to absentee ballet in NY elections. I could not vote in TN until after I became a resident of that state and had my drivers licence changed to TN. I would think you could only vote in the State that matched your drivers licence.
    My sister is a New York resident going to Oberlin college in Ohio. She voted in Ohio in the most recent election, so....nope.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  5. #5
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    nm

  6. #6
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    My sister is a New York resident going to Oberlin college in Ohio. She voted in Ohio in the most recent election, so....nope.
    Really. That is interesting to me. In TN it is required to be a permanent resident to vote. (I just looked and double checked. It is required). Each State probably different though.

    ~Bonita~

  7. #7
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Really. That is interesting to me. In TN it is required to be a permanent resident to vote. (I just looked and double checked. It is required). Each State probably different though.
    Permanent in that you intend to stay for an indeterminate amount of time. When it comes to college students, they can choose to vote in their parents' state if that's where they maintain their residency. Or they can establish residency where they attend school. This is true for all college students based on a SCOTUS ruling.

    By registering to vote in TN, you are establishing residency and therefore need to switch over your driver license.

    Register at School or Home?
    Registering to vote at a school residence: Students can establish residency in Tennessee and register to vote there if they have a present intention to remain at their Tennessee school address and they do not intend to return to their prior residence after finishing college. Students who declare their school address as a legal residence are eligible to vote even if they are classified as “out of state” by their college or university. Out-of-state students who qualify as registered voters in Tennessee are residents for the purposes of driver’s license laws. Drivers will be required to get a Tennessee driver’s license within 30 days of establishing residency.
    The difference in how the IN bill read is that being an out-of-state resident for tuition purposes means you can't establish residency for purposes of voting. Meaning you could change your DL, buy a home, file taxes, get a job, etc. but until you've maintained your residency for 1 year, you couldn't register to vote.

    Regardless, do you think this is the way it should be for college students or military families? With the military, they may only be stationed somewhere for 1 year. Does this mean they shouldn't be allowed to vote for the school board of their children's school district? Or their mayor?
    Last edited by ethanwinfield; 07-29-2013 at 02:13 PM.

  8. #8
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,551

    Default

    I think you should be able to vote where ever your drivers licence says. If you keep your drivers licence NY, then you need to vote in NY. If your drivers licence says TN, than you need to vote in TN. I do not think you should be able to be a resident of NY with a NY drivers licence and then vote in TN just because you are a college student there.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #9
    Prolific Poster Danifo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    This was in Canada but we kept our parent's address/those licenses when we lived out of province for school but we voted where we lived. Here you just need to provide mail with the local address on it.

    I agree that you should vote where your license is because friends from Elections Canada have told me stories about abuse of the residency requirement in really close races.

    However, I feel a year is too long. For (Canadian) healthcare, the residency requirement is 3 months if you are a citizen and for taxes, residency is 6 months. I would be more comfortable with that.
    DD1 July 2008 (41w3d)
    November 2010 (13 weeks)
    DD2 August 2011 (33w5d)

  10. #10
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danifo View Post
    This was in Canada but we kept our parent's address/those licenses when we lived out of province for school but we voted where we lived. Here you just need to provide mail with the local address on it.

    I agree that you should vote where your license is because friends from Elections Canada have told me stories about abuse of the residency requirement in really close races.

    However, I feel a year is too long. For (Canadian) healthcare, the residency requirement is 3 months if you are a citizen and for taxes, residency is 6 months. I would be more comfortable with that.
    In the US it takes 30 days to establish residency for voting. Not everyone has a driver license for whatever reason. SO's son splits his time evenly between his parents. He can register to vote using either address. They are only about 2 miles apart so school districts, mayor, state reps, bonds, etc. are all the same. Except his mom's address is in one US Congressman's district; his dad's is in the other.

    As a parent, I would have a serious issue with NC. If my child wanted to vote at her school but I was told I couldn't claim the dependent tax credit of $2500, I would demand that they classify her as an independent student for purposes of financial aid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions