Walmart food drive - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 213
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Walmart food drive

  1. #31
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,568

    Default

    I worked for Comcast in 2006-2007. I would still be there if the schedules didn't change every 3-4 months because I needed day shift with having Jace. According to Google, they made around 55billion in 2011. In this article Why 1.2 Million People Want to Work for Comcast, 126,000 people work for them around the world. They pay well, and I could earn commission on top of my regular pay. The benefits were outstanding and overall the environment was fun and positive.

    Bonita, ask yourself how certain companies make the 'Best Places to Work List' and why Walmart does not. I believe Wegmans was number 1 or 2 last year. My mom, as nosey as she is, asked a cashier how much she made and starting out she was making $10. As a cashier.

    Walmart CHOOSES to be selfish and sneaky and mean.
    Spacers likes this.

  2. #32
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoMR.FACE View Post
    I worked for Comcast in 2006-2007. I would still be there if the schedules didn't change every 3-4 months because I needed day shift with having Jace. According to Google, they made around 55billion in 2011. In this article Why 1.2 Million People Want to Work for Comcast, 126,000 people work for them around the world. They pay well, and I could earn commission on top of my regular pay. The benefits were outstanding and overall the environment was fun and positive.

    Bonita, ask yourself how certain companies make the 'Best Places to Work List' and why Walmart does not. I believe Wegmans was number 1 or 2 last year. My mom, as nosey as she is, asked a cashier how much she made and starting out she was making $10. As a cashier.

    Walmart CHOOSES to be selfish and sneaky and mean.
    Wal-Mart COULD pay minimum wage and they do not. $10/hour is not $25,000 a year either.

    ~Bonita~

  3. #33
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,512

    Default

    I am not saying Wal-Mart is the most wonderful place on earth. It is not. I do not however, think it is right to single them out because they have a lot of money. It is the over all attitude that life has to be fair. If someone has a lot of money, take it from them and give it to the poor. That is what I disagree with.

    ~Bonita~

  4. #34
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I am not saying Wal-Mart is the most wonderful place on earth. It is not. I do not however, think it is right to single them out because they have a lot of money. It is the over all attitude that life has to be fair. If someone has a lot of money, take it from them and give it to the poor. That is what I disagree with.
    I don't want Wal mart to give all their money to the poor LOL. Thats quite the leap.
    Spacers likes this.

  5. #35
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoMR.FACE View Post
    I worked for Comcast in 2006-2007. I would still be there if the schedules didn't change every 3-4 months because I needed day shift with having Jace. According to Google, they made around 55billion in 2011. In this article Why 1.2 Million People Want to Work for Comcast, 126,000 people work for them around the world. They pay well, and I could earn commission on top of my regular pay. The benefits were outstanding and overall the environment was fun and positive.

    Bonita, ask yourself how certain companies make the 'Best Places to Work List' and why Walmart does not. I believe Wegmans was number 1 or 2 last year. My mom, as nosey as she is, asked a cashier how much she made and starting out she was making $10. As a cashier.

    Walmart CHOOSES to be selfish and sneaky and mean.
    Side note...my dh works for Comcast. The pay and the bens keep him there (he's a tech).
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  6. #36
    Mega Poster elleon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,200

    Default

    Not every job is meant to pay and support a family. Not every job is meant to last a lifetime. It is not Walmart (or any other lower paying company...and there are plenty) to be forced to increase wages in this manner.

    If all jobs go to a living wage, then where is the starting point for people entering the marketplace?

    If you aren't making enough, get a second job (I have before) and work your butt off to improve your situation. If you find a great paying job as a cashier with another company, give your notice to walmart and be thankful for the experience they gave you that probably got you that job. Even the worst paying companies usually offier incentives, training and such to move up with them.

    As for server jobs and the $2 and hour. No they don't have to raise the rates. Serving is a sales position predicated on commission (tips). You provide great service, sell well and you will typically make good money. I waited tables for 7+ years and it is a good/honest living. If I lost my job I would immediately go back to doing that to provide income for my family till I found another position.
    AlyssaEimers likes this.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  7. #37
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,099

    Default

    I think if you are going to be significantly responsible for the loss of so many good living wage jobs...and going to replace them, to the point where your company employs 1% of our workers, you need to be better than that. Saying "Hey its not my responsiblity" is douchy.
    Last edited by KimPossible; 11-20-2013 at 12:55 PM.

  8. #38
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    I don't want Wal mart to give all their money to the poor LOL. Thats quite the leap.
    Not a stretch at all. Wanting Wal-Mart to double half their employees pay and the pay of many of their competitors, is exactly taking from the Haves and covering it to the Have Nots.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #39
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Not a stretch at all. Wanting Wal-Mart to double half their employees pay and the pay of many of their competitors, is exactly taking from the Haves and covering it to the Have Nots.
    I'm not going to get hung up on some specific number that someone suggested as to how they should improve. I expect better of them...simple as that.
    Spacers and Jessica80 like this.

  10. #40
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Wal-Mart COULD pay minimum wage and they do not. $10/hour is not $25,000 a year either.
    Yeah, Walmart may not pay $7.25 an hour, I apologize. $7.50-8.00 starting out is much better. Kudos to Walmart! I'll have to look up cashier pay at Walmart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    Side note...my dh works for Comcast. The pay and the bens keep him there (he's a tech).
    Awesome! Techs make decent money for sure and I don't blame you for sticking around. I got paid 100% on my maternity leave for 8 weeks and 1 week at 75% (I took 9 weeks leave). I def miss all the perks and benefits there.
    Quote Originally Posted by elleon17 View Post
    Not every job is meant to pay and support a family. Not every job is meant to last a lifetime. It is not Walmart (or any other lower paying company...and there are plenty) to be forced to increase wages in this manner.

    If all jobs go to a living wage, then where is the starting point for people entering the marketplace?

    If you aren't making enough, get a second job (I have before) and work your butt off to improve your situation. If you find a great paying job as a cashier with another company, give your notice to walmart and be thankful for the experience they gave you that probably got you that job. Even the worst paying companies usually offier incentives, training and such to move up with them.

    As for server jobs and the $2 and hour. No they don't have to raise the rates. Serving is a sales position predicated on commission (tips). You provide great service, sell well and you will typically make good money. I waited tables for 7+ years and it is a good/honest living. If I lost my job I would immediately go back to doing that to provide income for my family till I found another position.
    It's so easy to tell someone to find another job when you know NOTHING about their situation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions