Walmart food drive - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 213
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Walmart food drive

  1. #71
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Everyone is so down on Walmart all the time and self righteous about never stepping foot in Walmart and yet no one is complaining about companies that take taxpayer money or ship jobs to China.
    Everyone I know complains about these things. Corporate welfare is a scourge. Unions have been fighting against shipping jobs to countries with worse labour records since they started.

    I suggest joining your relevant union and helping fight these awful things. Don't forget to shop local.

  2. #72
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Just seems a little hypocritical that's all. Everyone is so down on Walmart all the time and self righteous about never stepping foot in Walmart and yet no one is complaining about companies that take taxpayer money or ship jobs to China.
    That started happening on such a large scale because of walmart's price bullying practices. Their choices were find a place to manufacturer or go out of business. Because you HAD to be able to sell to walmart as they aquired such a large portion of the consumer base and walmart insisted on unreasonably low prices. If you don't like companies going to china, don't buy crap at walmart for crazy cheap prices.

    Its ok..you don't have to believe me. I'm sure you won't!

    ETA: here's a good Frontline episode about it though if you are interested. Its from a while ago, but its good for historical reference on how we got here.

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

    ETA:
    Or alternatively you can just read the transcript

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...tc/script.html
    Last edited by KimPossible; 11-22-2013 at 10:18 AM.

  3. #73
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    It was stated on the website debate that websites that take a long time is an industry standard.
    well thats a dumb argument (if it was actually used to say that the healthcare site was fine that is)...and i didn't make that argument.

    Yes, there are a few great companies that go above and beyond for their employees but most companies are no different than Wal-Mart.
    Oh i disagree with that. You are basing the fact that they are 'all the same' on what exactly? Some companies are worse than others.

  4. #74
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post

    Oh i disagree with that. You are basing the fact that they are 'all the same' on what exactly? Some companies are worse than others.
    Speaking only of wages, just look at the article above about Target. Wal-Mart pays the same as most of their competitors. There are a few exceptions, but most companies pay about the same.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #75
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Speaking only of wages, just look at the article above about Target. Wal-Mart pays the same as most of their competitors. There are a few exceptions, but most companies pay about the same.
    Okay....if we are talking only about wages thats fine, i can agree with that. But in regards to all these accusations about being hypocritical because I or other dislike one store more than another...there are a heck of a lot more reasons than just wages that i like wal mart less.

    But in regards to wages Walmart has the largest profits by far, the largest ability and cushion to change. They also employ an enormous amount of people. If you don't see these as reasons to respect them even less, thats fine but I do! I have to draw a line somewhere, i can't just stop shopping all together. But I do buy local a lot, and i will often pay more for things in order to not buy them at any big box store.

    Not all the time...but i try pretty hard I think. Heck of a lot better than just saying "Well they all do it....its fine" and giving them all of my business IMO.

    And before any one goes on about people who can't afford to do that, thats not what i'm saying. I actually do think people should try, at whatever level they are at though, to be as conscientious as they can.
    Last edited by KimPossible; 11-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.

  6. #76
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,569

    Default

    Bonita, Youtube has a free documentary about Walmart... I suggest you watch it. Before I watched it, I disliked Walmart because of it's disorganization, the lack of cleanliness, and the lack of satisfactory customer service. I never knew the logistics of the corporation, and how exactly they run things. It's quite informative.

    Here is the link: Walmart: The High Cost Of Low Prices FULL MOVIE - YouTube

    Now I will admit, I have shopped there more times than I've wanted lately, because they do have low prices on some things compared to Target. I needed a stainless steel small pot to steam veggies and Target was just too expensive and didn't have the size I wanted. And the discount stores didn't have any either (like Homegoods, Marshalls, etc). Walmart did. I loathe giving my money to them but I had to unless I ordered something from Amazon, but I needed it right away in this case. And Walmart knows that.

  7. #77
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoMR.FACE View Post
    Bonita, Youtube has a free documentary about Walmart... I suggest you watch it. Before I watched it, I disliked Walmart because of it's disorganization, the lack of cleanliness, and the lack of satisfactory customer service. I never knew the logistics of the corporation, and how exactly they run things. It's quite informative.

    Here is the link: Walmart: The High Cost Of Low Prices FULL MOVIE - YouTube

    Now I will admit, I have shopped there more times than I've wanted lately, because they do have low prices on some things compared to Target. I needed a stainless steel small pot to steam veggies and Target was just too expensive and didn't have the size I wanted. And the discount stores didn't have any either (like Homegoods, Marshalls, etc). Walmart did. I loathe giving my money to them but I had to unless I ordered something from Amazon, but I needed it right away in this case. And Walmart knows that.
    And of course we know that anything posted on YouTube is pure fact....
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  8. #78
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,237

    Default

    This was an actual documentary that happens to be on youtube. I watched it years ago on tv.
    mommytoMR.FACE likes this.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  9. #79
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    And of course we know that anything posted on YouTube is pure fact....
    Yeah because I'm an idiot, Gloria.

    ETA: documentaries are factual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    This was an actual documentary that happens to be on youtube. I watched it years ago on tv.
    Thanks for clarifying that for Gloria. A lot of people don't realize YouTube plays movies and documentaries and other stuff.
    Last edited by mommytoMR.FACE; 11-23-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    Spacers and Jessica80 like this.

  10. #80
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoMR.FACE View Post
    unless I ordered something from Amazon
    Just speaking to this, there is an Amazon distribution center near where I live. They offer a lot of jobs, but they are very low paying jobs. They pay about a half to a third of what most other factories in the area pay and less than Walmart pays for full time work.

    (Not really relevant, but just wanted to put it out there)

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions