Where is the media outrage? Hurricane Sandy..

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301
Where is the media outrage? Hurricane Sandy..

I am very curious, after Katrina, we heard NOTHING good about anything the feds did, or local govs did. The response then from the Feds, was within hours, they even had a ship of the coast assisting BEFORE the storm hit. But it was not talked about, instead the feds were berated, and since Bush didn't counter media like Clinton was prone to, the complains stuck and grew.
All I saw in the major media was it was Bush's fault etc. From Global warming, to fixing the barriers.

Now with Sandy, I see local people aiding doing all the cleanup. I see friends heading down with trucks and chainsaws, and others fighting in the snow to donate to local shelters. In all the media coverage I haven't seen a single redcross, or other Federal aid coming... But another thing is absent.. Any outrage at the Federal government... is this simply because of Obama's Community Organizing skills? I fear it is. He is very good at what he does, and the media now for the most part doesn't say much negative about him, in fact just read an excerpt from a new book calling him Apostle Barack.

What are you guys seeing as far as the Feds and the aid to victims of Hurricane Sandy?

mom3girls's picture
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1533

I havent seen hardly anything about it at all on the news. This morning there was a 4 min segment on General Petreaus and a 15 second segment on the after effects of Sandy. I was wondering the same thing today

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4111

And people wonder why Obama won.... when the media has been in the tank for him from the beginning. Can't say anything negative about the messiah.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

Seriously Sandy is hard and a tragedy for many people, but to compare it to Katrina is not even close. The devastation is not comparable, nor the death numbers.
And the reaction wasn't the same either, Obama was right on top of it, while the response to Katrina was slow coming. What is there to be outraged about? Everything possible is being done so far!

ETA: Death toll in Sandy: reported so far 33
Death toll in Katrina: devastation so bad they still don't have numbers, AT LEAST 1400.

5 years after Katrina, storm's death toll remains a mystery - Houston Chronicle

ETA: I'm sorry, I wasn't reading a updated article on Sandy. It's now 109. And still less than 1/10th of what Katrina was.

Here's a great comparison article for displaced people, deaths, and other info:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04/hurricane-sandy-vs-katrina-infographic_n_2072432.html

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"smsturner" wrote:

Seriously Sandy is hard and a tragedy for many people, but to compare it to Katrina is not even close. The devastation is not comparable, nor the death numbers.
And the reaction wasn't the same either, Obama was right on top of it, while the response to Katrina was slow coming. What is there to be outraged about? Everything possible is being done so far!

ETA: Death toll in Sandy: reported so far 33
Death toll in Katrina: devastation so bad they still don't have numbers, AT LEAST 1400.

5 years after Katrina, storm's death toll remains a mystery - Houston Chronicle

ETA: I'm sorry, I wasn't reading a updated article on Sandy. It's now 109. And still less than 1/10th of what Katrina was.

Here's a great comparison article for displaced people, deaths, and other info:
Hurricane Sandy vs. Katrina Infographic Examines Destruction From Both Storms

Where was Obama "right on top of it"? I haven't seen a single thing the federal government has done. SO no "everything possible" isn't being done. Do you have news stories where the federal government is doing something?

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

The devastation of Sandy may not be the same as Katrina, but it was still severe. I also do not believe the response has been perfect, but that primarily the local government is who deals with a situation like this. The problem is with Bush, no matter what he did, he would have been blamed. With Obama, he can do no wrong.

I have heard first hand accounts that outside help is being turned away and that the response has been very unorganised. I do not blame Obama, Just as I do not think everything after Katrina was Bush's fault.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

Really? Have you looked?? The question is how much do I need to post?

here is a picture for you that you can see:

Area Marines, sailors continue to help Sandy victims - Local News - The Havelock News

The 26th MEU, with more than 300 Marines and sailors and 12 helicopters, has partnered with Lejeune-based 8th Engineer Support Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, as well as the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the National Guard to help the residents of Staten Island, N.Y., return to normalcy as soon as possible.

Hurricane Sandy | FEMA.gov

Blog Articles By Category | FEMA.gov
FEMA’s Voluntary Agency Liaison (VAL) works with state and local governments to establish volunteer reception centers. Unaffiliated volunteers who come to the centers are directed to one of the many voluntary organizations active in disaster relief efforts. Other groups currently working with Sandy survivors in New York include the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the Southern Baptists, Adventist Community Services and other national and local voluntary organizations.

Red Cross volunteers drop everything to help victims after Hurricane Sandy
link: Red Cross volunteers drop everything to help victims after Hurricane Sandy | NJ.com

Red Cross working to provide relief on East Coast to Sandy victims | abc7.com

NEW YORK (KABC) -- The American Red Cross is working in the East Coast to provide relief to areas hardest hit by Superstorm Sandy.

Join ABC7 and the American Red Cross at our relief drive TODAY at the Rose Bowl to raise money for the victims of Superstorm Sandy

Officials say 115 shelters were opened in nine states, including New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, Ohio and the District of Columbia. On Wednesday night, more than 7,000 people stayed at those shelters.

More than 160,000 meals have already been served, and 12 mobile kitchens capable of making nearly 200,000 meals a day have been deployed, according to the Red Cross.

"We know this is a very difficult and frustrating time for people who have lost their homes, are displaced or don't have power," said Charley Shimanski, senior vice president of Disaster Services for the Red Cross, in an online statement. "The Red Cross is doing everything possible to get help quickly to those affected. We are providing aid and comfort to people right now, and our focus today is on ramping up a massive feeding operation to get hot meals to people in places such as Long Island, Manhattan, Staten Island and New Jersey."

On Staten Island, one of the hardest hit areas, Red Cross staged mobile feeding operations in six different locations. In New Jersey, four mobile kitchens have been set up that can feed about 80,000 people a day, and officials have stockpiled 350,000 ready-to-eat meals. In New York, over 250,000 meals a day will be provided.

During a news conference Thursday, Staten Island borough president James Molinaro criticized the Red Cross response, calling it "an absolute disgrace." He suggested that people not donate money to the American Red Cross because the Red Cross "is nowhere to be found." However, at that same time, 10 trucks began arriving to Staten Island and a kitchen was set up immediately to begin distributing meals.

Related Photos

Superstorm Sandy leaves path of death, destruction

"We are working under the same circumstances as everyone with road access, fuel and so on," said Shimanski. "We have mobile operations throughout Staten Island already underway and we will be continuing that."

Authorities say Sandy may turn out to be second only to Katrina in terms of damage. The bill is expected to be close to $50 billion.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

REF

Federal family and partners continue to support states impacted by Sandy

by jmaloni
Press release

Mon, Nov 12th 2012 10:00 am
More than $411 million in individual assistance approved for disaster survivors

At the direction of President Barack Obama, the Federal Emergency Management Agency continues to lead the federal government's effort to provide assistance and support to states affected by Hurricane Sandy, ensuring the federal family and its public and private partners continue to provide all available resources to support state, local and tribal communities in affected areas. The administration's top priority remains supporting states, tribes and communities, as response efforts continue.

As FEMA and its partners continue an aggressive power restoration effort, the president has approved an extension to the 100 percent cost share for emergency work performed by state, tribal and local governments through Nov. 14. The 100 percent funding was set originally to last 10 days, starting Oct. 31 and specifically applies to work executed to restore emergency power and emergency public transportation assistance, including direct federal assistance for New Jersey, New York and Connecticut counties designated for FEMA public assistance. Other forms of Category B (emergency work) public assistance remain at a 75 percent cost share.

The federal family continues to work to assist with power restorations and to address fuel shortages. The Department of Defense, Department of Transportation, Department of Energy, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and representatives from the private sector and local law enforcement remain committed to supporting state and local governments in these efforts. The federal government has provided hundreds of generators and millions of gallons of fuel to help critical infrastructure sites and fuel stations operate until full power is restored.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers continues to aggressively support a de-watering mission at the direction of FEMA. Teams remain in place at critical areas in New Jersey and New York and pumping operations in 12 of the 14 critical locations as identified by local officials has been completed. The pumping in the Jersey City PATH Train Tunnel and Passaic Valley Waste Water Treatment Plant are estimated to be completed soon. Additional USACE teams are in both New Jersey and New York clearing debris and providing technical assistance personnel to support emergency power operations.

FEMA is one part of a large team that is working together to support the states in meeting needs of disaster survivors. As extensive work continues to restore power, open roadways and remove debris so that homes can begin to be repaired or rebuilt, individuals and business owners who sustained losses in the designated counties in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut can apply for assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362 . The toll-free telephone numbers will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week until further notice. Those in affected areas with access to the Internet may register by Web-enabled mobile device at m.fema.gov, or online at DisasterAssistance.gov - Home.

"FEMA's focus remains on helping the survivors of Hurricane Sandy in a number of different ways," said FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate. "In addition to registering for disaster assistance online atwww.disasterassistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA ( 1-800-621-3362 ), disaster unemployment assistance and free legal services are also now available to eligible survivors in New Jersey and New York."

Federal disaster unemployment assistance has been activated for both New Jersey and New York for those whose jobs were impacted by the hurricane in counties designated for FEMA Individual assistance. This may include people not normally eligible for unemployment benefits such as the self-employed and those unable to provide their services because of Hurricane Sandy. Free legal services are also available. This includes legal advice, counseling and representation, and may be provided to low-income disaster victims through an agreement with the Young Lawyers Division of the American Bar Association. Services typically provided include assistance with insurance claims (life, medical, property); counseling on landlord/tenant problems; assisting in consumer protection matters, remedies and procedures; and replacement of wills and other important legal documents destroyed in a major disaster.

As of this press release, more than 356,000 individuals in Connecticut, New York and New Jersey have registered for assistance, and more than $411 million has been approved in FEMA housing and other needs assistance. Currently, 44 disaster recovery centers are open in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. Of that amount, 21 disaster recovery centers are open in New York, 16 in New Jersey and seven in Connecticut and more continue to open. To find a disaster recovery center location, check out the disaster recovery center locator at FEMA.gov/disaster-recovery-centers or by mobile phone at m.fema.gov. You may also text DRC and a Zip Code to43362 (4FEMA).

FEMA has more than 6,600 FEMA personnel deployed to support response and recovery operations and is actively taking registration information through its 24-hour call centers. Many residents may be asking themselves what's next after they register for FEMA assistance. During registration, applicants will be given a personal number that should be kept handy for future use. Often times, a housing inspection is needed and one of the 1,987 FEMA housing inspectors on the ground will make contact to schedule an appointment to come see the damaged property if it is accessible. Appointments generally take 30 to 40 minutes and include an inspection of damaged areas of one's home and review of one's records. There is no fee for the inspection and inspectors always have proper identification.

To date, the president has declared that major disasters exist in Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island, and emergency declarations have been made in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and West Virginia. FEMA continues to deliver commodities including food, water, blankets, generators and others resources to distribution points across the region impacted by Sandy.

In addition, here is a snapshot of some of the federal activities that are being coordinated:

TheU.S. Small Business Administration has announced that businesses with physical damages or loss of revenue should consider visiting a business recovery center and applying for an SBA disaster business loan. The SBA offers economic injury disaster loans to small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture, and most private non-profit organizations, to help meet working capital needs caused by the disaster. Economic injury disaster loan assistance is available regardless of whether the business suffered any physical property damage. SBA continues to operate several business recovery centers in New York and New Jersey. As of Nov. 10, the SBA has issued 248,094 disaster loan applications to residents and businesses in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. That includes 196,822 home disaster loan applications, and 51,272 business disaster loan applications. SBA continues to operate business recovery centers in New York and New Jersey. For more information, call the SBA Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 ( 800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing) or go towww.sba.gov.

TheU.S. Department of Health and Human Services has more than 1,100 HHS personnel deployed to provide public health and medical assistance to New York and New Jersey. These personnel include disaster medical assistance teams. DMATs are a group of professional medical personnel organized to provide rapid-response medical care. To read more about DMAT teams active in the Hurricane Sandy response, visit Home - ASPR Blog. The U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps also continues to support shelter operations. Nearly 60 officers from three mental health teams have assisted approximately 700 residents and first responders a day, helping address basic mental health issues and facilitating environmental interventions in shelters such as ensuring that lights were off or low in a shelter at a sufficient time for people to sleep, arranging structured activities for children and adults, and limiting access to sugary/caffeinated items by children after supper so that they are better able to sleep. These types of basic issues increase people's resilience in difficult circumstances.

TheTreasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service have announced special relief intended to support leave-based donation programs to aid survivors who have suffered from the extraordinary destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy. Under these programs, employees may donate their vacation, sick or personal leave in exchange for employer cash payments made to qualified tax-exempt organizations providing relief for the survivors of Sandy. Also, the Treasury Department and the IRS have announced an expedited review and approval process will be offered for organizations seeking tax-exempt status in order to provide relief for victims of Sandy. The IRS continues to encourage people to use existing organizations currently working on immediate aid efforts.

The Department of Energy, in response to a request from the state of Connecticut, the will be loaning an additional 4.2 million gallons of ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel from the Northeast Home Heating Oil Reserve to the Defense Logistics Agency to provide emergency loans to fuel distributors in Connecticut to address fuel shortages in the state. This is a continuation of the agreement announced a week ago when President Obama declared that Hurricane Sandy has created a severe energy supply interruption. The fuel will then be provided to fuel distributors in the state and will be repaid in the next 30 days by the distributors directly. DOE and DLA stand ready to make available additional fuel as needed.

The Department of Defense is a fully integrated partner in the federal, state, tribal and local response to Sandy and the northeaster that swept through the mid-Atlantic and northeastern U.S.

U.S. Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) has nearly 4,000 personnel supporting Hurricane Sandy relief operations in the affected area.

Air Force teams completed unwatering (removing water) operations at Rockaway Waste Water Treatment facility, and East School in Long Beach, N.Y., and provided teams to support fire departments conducting unwatering operations in Breezy Point. Army divers repaired the pier system at Caven Point, N.J. Also, divers continue to assist the New York City Fire Department unwater the PATH Tunnel at the World Trade Center and unwater the Long Beach High School and Recreation Center.Navy dive detachments continue to support the World Trade Center site and Marine pump teams are assisting pumping operations at Breezy Point. Helicopters from the 26th MarineExpeditionary Unit are transporting and re-locating generators in affected areas to support critical infrastructure. Navy Seabees and Marine personnel restored the beach at Coast Guard Station Sandy Hook and continue supporting debris clearance operations at locations in Bayonne, N.J., and the Battery in New York.

The Defense Logistics Agency continues to supply FEMA with much-needed emergency supplies, medical equipment, fuel and now cold and wet weather clothing to help those working toward recovery after Sandy. DLA has delivered more than 1.8 million gallons of fuel to federal government distribution points in the New York/New Jersey region. DLA delivered nine generators to the Army Corps of Engineers to power apartment buildings in New York City. Seven more generators and seven transformers are en route. They also provided seven additional generators to the New York City Housing Authority. DLA has contracts in place to support waste water clean-up, hazardous material removal, and debris removal operations. DLA has also awarded two contracts for 330 roll-off Dumpsters and 34 trucks for overland trash hauling. two-and-a-half million pounds of debris have been removed in the past 48 hours.

TheArmy Corps of Engineers has more than 3,000 employees from the North Atlantic Division with an additional 960 team members deployed from other USACE divisions across the nation engaged to support the response mission. Response teams are assisting with debris management, commodities distribution, infrastructure assessment, temporary roofing, critical public facilities, water planning and temporary housing. USACE has established recovery field offices in New York and New Jersey to support FEMA and recovery operations.

The National Guard continues to work to expedite recovery efforts. More than 6,200 Army and Air National Guard Soldiers and Airmen from 11 states are conducting food, water and fuel distribution, communications, security, sheltering, debris removal, and transportation missions in support of recovery efforts.

TheU.S. Fleet Forces (Navy & Marine Corps) are assisting the Army Corps of Engineers in their power restoration, cleaning and dewatering efforts in New York and New Jersey.

TheUnited State Postal Service wants to remind customers who have evacuated or relocated due to hurricane Sandy to submit a change of address, place mail on hold, or request that mail be temporarily forwarded to their new location. For the latest service updates regarding Hurricane Sandy, call 1-800-ASK-USPS ( 1-800-275-8777 ).

U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA's) Natural Resources Conservation Service has distributed an initial $5.3 million to 11 states affected by Hurricane Sandy. NRCS provides this funding through its emergency watershed protection program.

USDA's Food and Nutrition Service is allowing flexibility to New York City Public School District to serve all meals free through the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program for the month of November. FNS has also approved New Jersey's request to allow supplemental nutrition assistance program (SNAP - formerly food stamps) recipients that reside in Atlantic County, Bergen County, Cape May County, Essex County, Hudson County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Ocean County, Somerset County and Union County (all of which have received individual assistance declarations from the FEMA to be allowed to purchase hot foods and hot food products with SNAP benefits through the end of the month).

TheCorporation for National and Community Service has 1,008 national service members who have been deployed to seven states. AmeriCorps and Senior Corps members in Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and West Virginia are assisting with shelter operations, call centers, debris removal and mass care. About 435 members of FEMA Corps, a partnership between FEMA and AmeriCorps, are working directly with disaster survivors in New York and New Jersey.

TheU.S. Food and Drug Administration reminds consumers to take precautions for storing water and ensuring the safety of their food and medical supplies for themselves, their families and their pets during and after any hurricane-related rain, possible flooding and power outages. For food and drug safety messaging, visit the Food and Drug Administration hurricane safety checklist, available in English and Spanish (Hurricane Safety Checklist).

The U.S. Department of the Interior mobilized resources to speed storm recovery on federal and tribal lands in the impacted region and to support FEMA in its efforts to assist states and local governments in the disaster area, including nearly 700 DOI employees conducting response and recovery missions and at least an equal number are committed to disaster recovery work in at their home locations. More than 1,200 wildland firefighters from all agencies, including about 260 wildland firefighters from the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and National Park Service, are responding with fellow wildland firefighters from the U.S. Forest Service and state Forestry Divisions to support FEMA staging areas, assist in emergency operations centers, and provide crews to clear trees for emergency access and power crews.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs is leading a tribal assistance coordination group, enhancing communications and coordination between Native American tribes in the disaster area, other federal agencies including FEMA, and non-profit relief organizations.

The National Park Service has deployed more than 300 incident management personnel, technical experts and work crews to assist almost 650 personnel at parks throughout the region in recovery operations. Working with interagency partners, NPS has also established a debris transfer site at Jacob Riis Park in New York to support local clean-up activities and is providing feeding for emergency workers in the vicinity of its logistics base at Fort Wadsworth in the Gateway National Recreation Area.

FEMA's mission is to support U.S. citizens and first responders to ensure that, as a nation, we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

Based on the efforts of a few articles I've posted, I think there is no reason for outrage. Outrage is appropriate when efforts aren't being made, when situations are worsening and efforts aren't being made, or when conditions aren't improving ---- and they could have improved by a point.

I don't think this is the case here. There is a collaboration of efforts. The situation is really, really tough there due to the ongoing weather events. I'd say that weather is the one thing that is the hindrance IF I had to identify anything as a hindrance.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

That is great, that they have all the money going to these organizations, but as far as the news I have gotten from people that live there, they have neither seen nor heard from anyone from the federal government. In fact a childhood friend's husband went down to NJ to cut trees with a group of their guy friends.. The pictures are horrible, it is just them cutting and cutting.. TONS of trees down everywhere, this is just the last few days.. so No government is helping get it out of the way, local people are. And it is the same thing I saw when looking at cleanup all over, mayors are saying no federal help is coming. Or it is very limited.. Seems the same amount or LESS is coming than came during Katrina, and everyone was outraged then but not now. I do understand it isn't as bad, but heck even the flooding of the 9/11 site should have brought in massive media coverage.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"myyams" wrote:

Based on the efforts of a few articles I've posted, I think there is no reason for outrage. Outrage is appropriate when efforts aren't being made, when situations are worsening and efforts aren't being made, or when conditions aren't improving ---- and they could have improved by a point.

I don't think this is the case here. There is a collaboration of efforts. The situation is really, really tough there due to the ongoing weather events. I'd say that weather is the one thing that is the hindrance IF I had to identify anything as a hindrance.

It is a good point in some areas, like Brooklyn that just got a bunch of snow. But I would think coast guard especially is trained for this.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

"Rivergallery" wrote:

It is a good point in some areas, like Brooklyn that just got a bunch of snow. But I would think coast guard especially is trained for this.

I am sure all departments are trained to deal in their way with disaster. But, when there are no resources, snow, rain, cold battering down day after day, probably undoing what's been done, I'd say that all are probably putting forth their best efforts in this situation. Roads are destroyed, can't drive through some due to rubbage. And as they pick up, more gets put down. As electricity was restored, more went out. I'm not sure from where outrage should come from or why.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"myyams" wrote:

I am sure all departments are trained to deal in their way with disaster. But, when there are no resources, snow, rain, cold battering down day after day, probably undoing what's been done, I'd say that all are probably putting forth their best efforts in this situation. Roads are destroyed, can't drive through some due to rubbage. And as they pick up, more gets put down. As electricity was restored, more went out. I'm not sure from where outrage should come from or why.

Didn't they have the same issues with Katrina? But the media and populous' view was very different. Those complaining got front and center coverage back then. Now it is a sideline and brushed aside, as was shown in the article previously posted.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

I don't have TV as such in our home, but I have seen on cnn.com many videos of those in need complaining. I feel their pain. I would say that there is likely a system of triage. I don't mean that each person isn't important, but that some are better off than others. Cutting trees down has a lower priority than not having electricity, having no food, being cold, wet, in danger of injury from the elements. I know with more winds, damages and loss can absolutely come. But save people who are still lost and unaccounted for vs tree cutting?? Seems like the community has to do their part as well, and I do really see that happening too. Everyone's pitching in and doing what needs to be done on all sorts of levels. Of course no effort could be perfect because it's only all good when it's all gone. So I don't really see a need to create more negativity. Efforts are underway and I think people feel that.

I don't equate outrage as a reflection of anything other than outrage. Outrage does nothing but create more negative feelings. I think people in difficulty need more positive energy. Outrage can spark more chaos and crime, from feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, and maybe a need to take the law in their own hands and handle things. I don't really think anything GOOD can come out of it. I am not sure why this debate exists because of lack of it. Why would we want it?

There are many similarities between Katrina and Sandy, the monetary damage is more with Katrina as was the incredible numbers of loss of life. There is no comparison in this way. There were more days that passed by after the storm passed that the president didn't visit LA. You can look over the similarities and dissimilarities here: REF

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"Rivergallery" wrote:

Where was Obama "right on top of it"? I haven't seen a single thing the federal government has done. SO no "everything possible" isn't being done. Do you have news stories where the federal government is doing something?

Thank you myyams (sorry, don't know your name!) for posting those. I've seen a ton of help going that way too. Some of my family in PA have been called for work on power lines and cable lines, etc.

"Rivergallery" wrote:

That is great, that they have all the money going to these organizations, but as far as the news I have gotten from people that live there, they have neither seen nor heard from anyone from the federal government. In fact a childhood friend's husband went down to NJ to cut trees with a group of their guy friends.. The pictures are horrible, it is just them cutting and cutting.. TONS of trees down everywhere, this is just the last few days.. so No government is helping get it out of the way, local people are. And it is the same thing I saw when looking at cleanup all over, mayors are saying no federal help is coming. Or it is very limited.. Seems the same amount or LESS is coming than came during Katrina, and everyone was outraged then but not now. I do understand it isn't as bad, but heck even the flooding of the 9/11 site should have brought in massive media coverage.

I am SOOO not saying that this isn't a horrible situation. Many people have lost everything they have. It's horrible, and my heart goes out to everyone affected. I have people down that way... it's actually only about 3.5 hours from here. My stepdad's family is there.
What I am saying is that it in no way compares to the horrific suffering that Katrina brought.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

Government may pick up hotel tab for 34,000 Sandy victims - Yahoo! News

As for military actually being on site to help, if you just google government help for sandy, you get tons of pics of airmen and national guard and army all helping and doing what they can.

I'm not exactly sure what you want here... goverment could not have stopped the trees from falling or the wind from blowing... the criticism for bush was on response after, not the devastation of the storm while it happened.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"myyams" wrote:

I don't equate outrage as a reflection of anything other than outrage. Outrage does nothing but create more negative feelings. I think people in difficulty need more positive energy. Outrage can spark more chaos and crime, from feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, and maybe a need to take the law in their own hands and handle things. I don't really think anything GOOD can come out of it. I am not sure why this debate exists because of lack of it. Why would we want it?

The outrage comes from the media was all over every mistake Bush made, but completely ignores anything less than glamours on Obama's part.

"smsturner" wrote:

As for military actually being on site to help, if you just google government help for sandy, you get tons of pics of airmen and national guard and army all helping and doing what they can.

If you remember back to the voting debate I said that my BIL was there as part of the National Guard so I can attest to the fact that they are there. I can also attest to first hand accounts that everything is very disorganized, like no one was co-coordinating all of the relief effort. There again, I do not think that is the Federal Governments job, but the State job so not Obama's fault.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

It is almost as if some people would like to make issues that are not there. I think the media isnt making outrage because there is nothing to be outraged about here.

People picked on Bush a lot because he was such an easy target with all of his mishaps, misquotes, and misunderstandings. It is easy to hone in on a person who is such a spectacle by himself.

He might have had some good qualities but they were overshadowed by all of his other teally bad ones.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I think that there is just no issues but they are looking for one.

What else could they do, it was declared a disaster area almost immediately. FEMA was already there and ready to roll. They had 1500 workers out the day after.

It's hard to be perfect when concerning the weather. Up until very close to when the storm hit it was supposed to hit New England much harder and it turned. We were very well prepared here because models showed that we were supposed to get what NY and NJ got and we didn't. Local crews had shelters ready, out of area electric and gas crew members were set up. Even here in Mass. local electric companies were pulling others in and staffing appropriately to respond to outages ASAP.

Most agencies are declaringtheir response to be a good response.

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

"myyams" wrote:

It is almost as if some people would like to make issues that are not there.

Definitely.

Also FEMA has learned lessons from Katrina and even from Japanese preparation for earthquakes. They sent a large delegation over to Japan after 3/11 to see how they could improve their emergency response and it seems they did.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Why is it a problem for you that private companies are also helping out? That happens with any major weather event.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"myyams" wrote:

I don't have TV as such in our home, but I have seen on cnn.com many videos of those in need complaining. I feel their pain. I would say that there is likely a system of triage. I don't mean that each person isn't important, but that some are better off than others. Cutting trees down has a lower priority than not having electricity, having no food, being cold, wet, in danger of injury from the elements. I know with more winds, damages and loss can absolutely come. But save people who are still lost and unaccounted for vs tree cutting?? Seems like the community has to do their part as well, and I do really see that happening too. Everyone's pitching in and doing what needs to be done on all sorts of levels. Of course no effort could be perfect because it's only all good when it's all gone. So I don't really see a need to create more negativity. Efforts are underway and I think people feel that.

I don't equate outrage as a reflection of anything other than outrage. Outrage does nothing but create more negative feelings. I think people in difficulty need more positive energy. Outrage can spark more chaos and crime, from feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, and maybe a need to take the law in their own hands and handle things. I don't really think anything GOOD can come out of it. I am not sure why this debate exists because of lack of it. Why would we want it?

There are many similarities between Katrina and Sandy, the monetary damage is more with Katrina as was the incredible numbers of loss of life. There is no comparison in this way. There were more days that passed by after the storm passed that the president didn't visit LA. You can look over the similarities and dissimilarities here: REF

Not sure why you are equating tree cutting to anything... But I have a couple things to say about it. Trees are OFTEN over electric lines, in road and on homes.. ALL which do impeed the rest. Secondly, hope you are not belittling someone that is helping there physically...? They are doing more than I can living on the westcoast, and I used it simply because of someone I knew that was helping in a tangible way. I know others that are volunteering at shelters etc. Not sure HOW they help should be put in order and thought higher or lower of, if someone is able to cut a tree off my home to prevent further water damage I would be just as thankful as to the ones serving me a hot meal at the shelter.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

I think you have misunderstood my posts.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

"Rivergallery" wrote:

Not sure why you are equating tree cutting to anything... But I have a couple things to say about it. Trees are OFTEN over electric lines, in road and on homes.. ALL which do impeed the rest. Secondly, hope you are not belittling someone that is helping there physically...? They are doing more than I can living on the westcoast, and I used it simply because of someone I knew that was helping in a tangible way. I know others that are volunteering at shelters etc. Not sure HOW they help should be put in order and thought higher or lower of, if someone is able to cut a tree off my home to prevent further water damage I would be just as thankful as to the ones serving me a hot meal at the shelter.

Did we read the same post? I got none of what you took from it.

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 680

"Rivergallery" wrote:

That is great, that they have all the money going to these organizations, but as far as the news I have gotten from people that live there, they have neither seen nor heard from anyone from the federal government. In fact a childhood friend's husband went down to NJ to cut trees with a group of their guy friends.. The pictures are horrible, it is just them cutting and cutting.. TONS of trees down everywhere, this is just the last few days.. so No government is helping get it out of the way, local people are. And it is the same thing I saw when looking at cleanup all over, mayors are saying no federal help is coming. Or it is very limited.. Seems the same amount or LESS is coming than came during Katrina, and everyone was outraged then but not now. I do understand it isn't as bad, but heck even the flooding of the 9/11 site should have brought in massive media coverage.

I referred to tree cutting becuase you mentioned it and stating no one was helping. I did not belittle anyone. I have only praised everyone's efforts. I did mention there is likely a system of triage and tree cutting may not have been at the top because of more imminent dangers but I also went on to empathize with possible dangers of winds with regard to them.

It is amazing how odd my post was misunderstood.

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

"Jessica80" wrote:

Did we read the same post? I got none of what you took from it.

I couldn't figure it out either... I thought I missed something.

Log in or register to post comments