Whose lottery ticket is it?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
GloriaInTX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 16 hours ago
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4229
Whose lottery ticket is it?

Should the lottery ticket belong to the woman who found it in the trash, or the woman who bought it and threw it away?

When she plucked a winning lottery ticket out of the trash, Sharon Jones' luck changed instantly. The $1 million prize let her pay off debts, give thousands of dollars to her children and buy a gleaming new pickup truck.

But now her jackpot is in jeopardy. A judge ruled this week that the money belongs to another woman, who says she threw the ticket away after a lottery machine incorrectly told her it was a loser. The Arkansas Lottery Commission insists there are no problems with its equipment.

"Why does she have the right to come back after she's already thrown it away and say, 'Oh no. Now that it is a winner, I want the money?'" said Jones' husband, William, who was laid off last year after working in construction.

Sharon Jones claimed the $1 million prize last July, turning in a scratch-off "Diamond Dazzler" ticket that the other woman, Sharon Duncan, said she purchased earlier at the Super 1 Stop convenience store in Beebe, about 35 miles northeast of Little Rock.

Duncan told a judge she discarded the ticket after an electronic scanner told her it was "not a winner."

"And then the next thing you know, 10 months later, you're fighting for something that was trash," William Jones said.

Full article: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/03/2-arkansas-women-fight-to-claim-1-million-lotto-ticket/#ixzz1tp2XwVF7

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

I think throwing it away should mean you are disposing of it....as in it is no longer yours. If you throw something in the trash once it leaves your property (or if it was never on your property) i don't think you should be able to continue to claim it is yours.

I'm sure its eating at the woman that she had a winning lottery ticket and tossed it and is trying to somehow desperately rectify the situation in her favor. It must be frustrating to think you tossed away a life changing event over a mistake.

I disagree with the judges ruling.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

It was in the garbage. I think the money belong to the woman who found it.

I don't ever buy lottery tickets. How can the woman who says she threw it out prove she bought it in the first place?

GloriaInTX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 16 hours ago
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4229

"kris_w" wrote:

It was in the garbage. I think the money belong to the woman who found it.

I don't ever buy lottery tickets. How can the woman who says she threw it out prove she bought it in the first place?

I agree. I don't see how the Judge could even come to that conclusion if the time didn't match up to when she bought the ticket. Just because she bought a ticket doesn't prove that was the one. Even IF it was her ticket... sorry your mistake for throwing it away.

White County Judge Thomas Hughes concluded that Duncan bought the winning ticket, even though lottery records and store security video didn't synch up to the precise timing of the purchase. He ruled that Duncan never abandoned her right to claim the winnings.

Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1763

"kris_w" wrote:

It was in the garbage. I think the money belong to the woman who found it.

I don't ever buy lottery tickets. How can the woman who says she threw it out prove she bought it in the first place?

They have video of her buying it.

Honestly, the would have been best off reaching a settlement with her in the amount the lawyers would get to fight it.

I understand the discrading of the trash, but in this case I don't know. They've done undercover video showing cashiers telling customers their ticket wasn't a winner and then claiming the prize money for themselves. Nobody intends to throw away something of value so I can see her point of view. I would hate to find myself on either end of that situation. I scratch my tickets in my car so I only throw the losers away at home. While someone could go through my trash in search of lottery tickets, it's highly unlikely.

Maybe I'll start signing the back of my tickets so even if someone finds it, they won't be able to cash it. LOL

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

Nobody intends to...but the fact is she did. Life is tough. If you throw out some old furniture and then later find out its a valuable antique, do you get to reclaim that from whoever decided to pull it out of the rubble?

The fact that she didn't intend to do it makes me feel bad for her...doesn't make me think she still owns it...she CHUCKED it.

In cases where they were tricked by an employee or something? I could see how there might be some sort of legal recourse. Thats not what it sounds like here. She claims a machine lied to her. I'd hate to say it, but in this case, a human is more likely to error than the machine.

Spacers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

If she signed the back of it, as you're supposed to do, then she should get the money. It shouldn't matter whether the ticket was lost accidentally or intentionally thrown away due to bad information, if she had properly claimed it by signing the back, the money would be hers regardless how the ticket left her possession. If she didn't do that, then she's out of luck. Bad decision by that judge.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

They have video of her buying it.

Ah. Well, then they should have video of her throwing it out too. Once something is in the garbage, I think you've given up ownership.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6803

Once something is in the trash it is no longer yours. That said, if she felt she was lied to by an employee or the machine, she could sue the place that sold it, but not go after the person who found the ticket.

Spacers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

Well, this is interesting...

White County Judge Thomas Hughes concluded that Duncan bought the winning ticket, even though lottery records and store security video didn’t synch up to the precise timing of the purchase.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/who-owns-a-discarded-lottery-ticket-fight-over-1m-jackpot-sends-2-arkansas-women-to-court/2012/05/02/gIQA3m3dxT_story.html

That's not quite the same as other news reports that said she was pictured on video purchasing the winning ticket. So are we going to see half a dozen other people who bought tickets in that out-of-synch timeframe popping up to claim that *they* are actually the rightful owner to the ticket? Seriously, sign your tickets, people. That way, if it's a winner, at least you can get a reasonable share from the person who plucked it from the trash.

RebeccaA'07's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/19/07
Posts: 1628

She threw out the ticket; Kim made a good point...when you throw out anything from your house, it's trash...regardless if later it was found to hold value. The lady that bought the ticket should sue the store or lottery if she felt the machine was faulty. I think the rightful owner is the person who claimed the ticket.

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

"Spacers" wrote:

Well, this is interesting...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/who-owns-a-discarded-lottery-ticket-fight-over-1m-jackpot-sends-2-arkansas-women-to-court/2012/05/02/gIQA3m3dxT_story.html

That's not quite the same as other news reports that said she was pictured on video purchasing the winning ticket. So are we going to see half a dozen other people who bought tickets in that out-of-synch timeframe popping up to claim that *they* are actually the rightful owner to the ticket? Seriously, sign your tickets, people. That way, if it's a winner, at least you can get a reasonable share from the person who plucked it from the trash.

I have to admit the signing thing bugs me. Not disputing the fact that its true...just annoys me to think that you could throw something in the trash and then reclaim it later as yours just because you find it desirable again, signed or not.

MissyJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/31/02
Posts: 3289

"KimPossible" wrote:

I have to admit the signing thing bugs me. Not disputing the fact that its true...just annoys me to think that you could throw something in the trash and then reclaim it later as yours just because you find it desirable again, signed or not.

Here is another case that is in the news:

Woman accuses son of taking $51 million lottery ticket

In this situation, the ticket wasn't thrown away. Instead, the claim is that when the woman, (accompanied by her husband and son), was so overwhelmed by emotions at this life-altering prize that when asked to sign the ticket at lottery headquarters, she requested her son sign it for her. Said son signed his own name and then took off with the $$.

Who do you believe will win in that court decision? Does the fact that the son signed his name despite the mom being clearly the designated "winner" change your feelings about the first case?

KimPossible's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3471

"MissyJ" wrote:

Here is another case that is in the news:

Woman accuses son of taking $51 million lottery ticket

In this situation, the ticket wasn't thrown away. Instead, the claim is that when the woman, (accompanied by her husband and son), was so overwhelmed by emotions at this life-altering prize that when asked to sign the ticket at lottery headquarters, she requested her son sign it for her. Said son signed his own name and then took off with the $$.

Who do you believe will win in that court decision? Does the fact that the son signed his name despite the mom being clearly the designated "winner" change your feelings about the first case?

No, doesn't change my feelings, in both cases i think the 'signing thing' would end up giving the money to the wrong person. (Working under the hypothetical that in the first story it was signed..even though it sounds like it was not).

I am sure the signing of the ticket came about out of necessity for other cases where it makes sense, but it would annoy me in this case or the one you presented that someone could claim stake to the money because of a signature when the *circumstances* would easily prove that they really shouldn't have any claim to the money.

You throw something away? Not yours anymore. Your deceive the rightful owner? Not yours to begin with or ever. Seems pretty simple to me.

mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

Maybe I'll start signing the back of my tickets so even if someone finds it, they won't be able to cash it. LOL

You have to sign the back in Canada, most store clerks wont even scan them if you haven't signed.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

Lottery is stupid. So is the fallout!

If I threw my credit card in the trash by accident it would still be mine. If there is proof that this woman bought the ticket, and proof that fraud was committed upon saying that the ticket was not a winner............its hers. I mean, I could have an awesome winner of a boyfriend who was a cashier who worked at the local lottery place who told people their tickets were losers......then told me to stand out side to pick up the winners. I mean....do people usually pick up lottery trash out of trash cans? This is like a whole foreign world to me....but, really?

Seems like a scam.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 274

"Potter75" wrote:

Lottery is stupid. So is the fallout!

If I threw my credit card in the trash by accident it would still be mine. If there is proof that this woman bought the ticket, and proof that fraud was committed upon saying that the ticket was not a winner............its hers. I mean, I could have an awesome winner of a boyfriend who was a cashier who worked at the local lottery place who told people their tickets were losers......then told me to stand out side to pick up the winners. I mean....do people usually pick up lottery trash out of trash cans? This is like a whole foreign world to me....but, really?

Seems like a scam.

Well, technically, the account is still yours. That person could always keep the card as theirs as long as they don't use it to access your account.

And yes, lottery ticket picking has a larger following than you think. Outside of looking for actual winners that people have discarded, some states give you another ticket if you turn in so many (many years ago we went to the Topsfield fair and for however many tickets you brought you got a free 1.00 ticket). Also, at least here, there are some ticket games that you can get a "Second Chance" game. For example, the Red Sox ticket allows you to get into drawings for free game tickets, merchandise etc.

mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

"Jessica1980" wrote:

And yes, lottery ticket picking has a larger following than you think. Outside of looking for actual winners that people have discarded, some states give you another ticket if you turn in so many (many years ago we went to the Topsfield fair and for however many tickets you brought you got a free 1.00 ticket). Also, at least here, there are some ticket games that you can get a "Second Chance" game. For example, the Red Sox ticket allows you to get into drawings for free game tickets, merchandise etc.

I know that a mom that used to post on the .org collects used lottery tickets for her disabled son. She gets a certain amount of money for a bunch of tickets (don't remember the numbers but I could get them if someone is interested).

And personally I find lottery tickets a waste of time and money. I buy one very occasionally as a group thing.

Also, in Canada a few years ago we had something similar happen with "Roll Up the Rim", someone threw out a winning cup and a girl found it, couldn't roll the rim and had a friend help - the prize was a car. Forget how things worked out in the end.

mom2robbie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

oops, posted to wrong thread