Women in Combat - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 80
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Women in Combat

  1. #11
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    I don't see why it would be. We aren't actively drafting young men and drafts for war are typically viewed as a positive action. I don't support any draft so I wouldn't support one for women.

  2. #12
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Why do you think that wouldn't be the next step?

    Because I don't believe that a majority of Americans would ever support it. Not to mention, we haven't even needed to draft men since.....when, '68? '70? The slippery slope from volunteer women to drafted women (most of whom, looking around at American women wouldn't physically qualify, IMO) just doesn't sway me as a valid argument.

  3. #13
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,601

    Default

    I don't think this country will ever draft anyone again, male or female. We simply don't have the full-scale on-the-ground one-on-one kind of combat that we saw in WWII or Vietnam any more. We're moving more & more towards automated warfare, for better or worse, and that requires a different kind of soldier, one dedicated to it as a career and willing to take on years of training to be good at it, and not just be more meat for a killing machine. Even if we did institute another draft, I don't think anyone would open the political can of worms of sending thousands of mothers or potential mothers, those who will be repopulating our country after the disaster, off to be killed in a war against their will.
    70% of the U.S. population now lives in a state where same-sex marriage is legal. At 36 and counting!

  4. #14
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    I agree with those that said if she wants to and has the physical ability to then she should be able to do it.
    So when you say physical ability do you mean the same physical ability as a man? Because the military currently has different standards for women than men.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #15
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Aren't the current standards different for women? I disagree with this. I think that it will put others at risk. If soldiers are captured on the front lines and the enemy is raping a woman soldier repeatedly while making her fellow soldiers watch I don't see how that would not make them break much quicker. Especially with the Taliban and the type of enemy that we are facing that use rape as a weapon even on their own people.
    Let's not forget that rape is used by soldiers from all over during warfare. Our own soldiers are just as guilty as anyone else. War brings out the crudeness of all in combat.
    Aisha

  6. #16
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    I think I am too traditional minded to think more broadly about this right now. At this time I am against it. I can't say wholeheartedly that my view is the right view, but it's just the way I feel. Maybe I look at my own kids and wonder what would become of them if I were to be gone. But I know at the same time, I feel that way about if my husband was gone in such a state of danger. So, basically, I don't know what is right, but I am not supportive either.
    Aisha

  7. #17
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So when you say physical ability do you mean the same physical ability as a man? Because the military currently has different standards for women than men.
    The physical requirements should be whatever the job calls for, not gender.
    Aisha

  8. #18
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    Let's not forget that rape is used by soldiers from all over during warfare. Our own soldiers are just as guilty as anyone else. War brings out the crudeness of all in combat.
    Sorry I absolutely disagree with that. While some individual soldiers may be guilty of commiting rape, our soldiers don't routinely rape women as part of warfare.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  9. #19
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So when you say physical ability do you mean the same physical ability as a man? Because the military currently has different standards for women than men.
    What the job calls for. I don't support having people in the same job not meeting the same requirements. If they are different for women but it means she can perform the job properly that is fine with me.

  10. #20
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissyJ View Post
    With this stance, how do you justify females not being forced to sign up with the Selective Service upon reaching age 18 (i.e. draft eligibility?) Couldn't their male counterparts claim discrimination?

    FTR -- I am still trying to figure out my stance on this topic. I share some of the concerns expressed, dislike the idea of a draft (but honestly that may be for *both* sexes although I *get* the need)... this with several relatives in the military (all voluntary) -- including one son in the Air Force.

    At the same time, I know that in the past I have broken through gender barriers and understand that there are women that want these jobs.

    Lillie -- when you referenced "current standards", did you mean current physical standards EQUAL to their male counterparts?
    Current. If you want to be in combat and get the credit, you need to be able to do the exact same thing as men. Currently, the difference in standards is only the basic stay in/get in stuff. I don't have to run as fast or do as many pushups/situps, but my job doesn't need me to actually be able to do any of it. I just need to be in shape in case I'm deployed or become an instructor for a job that is physically demanding. There aren't different standards when it comes to get into a job that is physically demanding. Women that want to be maintainers on the flight line have to be able to lift as much weight as the men. If they want to be in one of the career fields they used to be banned from, they HAVE to be able to do everything the men can do. There are plenty of women who can meet those standards but I can't imagine there are many who want to. There is no reason those who want to AND can meet those standards shouldn't be able to try to finish whatever school they need to go through to become a member of that elite team.

    However, if they lower the standards for one gender to be able to pass the school, that's a bunch of bullcrap. Not acceptable because that would honestly affect the moral, cohesiveness, and ability to complete their mission. Me not doing 67 pushups in less than a minute doesn't affect my ability to work on computers, provide computer/administrative support when deployed, or to watch TCN's and hold a gun as a guard. Me not being able to tote the 220lb guy out of a dangerous situation and someone else having to double up on their duty to compensate just to meet some ideal number of gender "equality" is a terrible terrible idea.

    I think women should be signed up for selective service too. We aren't exactly hurting for people to produce in our nation and if men have to do it, women should too. But I don't think there will be another draft either. Especially with how much it cost to train people now.
    bunnyfufu likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions