Circumcision ? (poor lil man)

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
RoniBoo's picture
Joined: 06/07/11
Posts: 903
Circumcision ? (poor lil man)

Good Day Ladies First time mommy ???

I was just wondering your thoughts on this subject? I am not sure if I should do it or not.. I feel so bad for the LO Sad

I did find a good website but still lurking around reading up on it.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/pregnancy-childbirth/whether-or-not-circumcise

(hugs)

Broodymama's picture
Joined: 05/29/11
Posts: 198

We don't but before I post this list, let me just say that I did not write this but I agree with it. I also have no judgments against parents who circ, too! I just think this is a pretty good list if you're trying to decide:

1. The foreskin is healthy tissue which would be the size of a postcard in an adult man. There are nerves in the foreskin which are NOT in the head of the penis and which only exist in the lips and fingertips.

2. The foreskin rarely becomes diseased and only requires circumcision in cases of cancer, gangrene, etc., like any other body part. And if a man should get a yeast or bacterial infection, as women routinely do at much greater rates, they can be easily treated with creams or medicine, as women are.

3. A baby's foreskin is easy to care for as it is adhered to the head of the penis with the same tissue that adheres your fingernails to your fingertips. You do not have to pull it back to clean it, and to do so causes scarring and damage. You simply wipe it off like a finger. When the foreskin naturally retracts (anytime between age 3 and puberty), the boy only has to swish it in the water to clean it. I don't know about you, but every boy I know has no problem getting that penis EXTRA-clean in the shower or bath!

4. Routine infant circumcision was started in this country in victorian times as a way to prevent masturbation. Dr. Kellogg, the main proponent, knew and said that circumcision removed the most sensitive part of the penis.

5. An intact penis provides more pleasure for a woman b/c of the gentle gliding motion which both keeps the woman's natural lubrication in the vagina and prevents chafing.

6. Only half of boys born today in the US are circumcised. This has dropped from a high of 85% one generation ago, and continues to drop. Worldwide, only 15% of men are circumcised, and those are all Jewish and Muslim. A boy is as likely to be made fun of for being circumcised as for being intact. Your husband's experience in the locker room is inapplicable 30 years later. In addition, with all of this information readily available on the internet, as your son grows, he will definitely know the difference and it won't be just rumor as it was for our generation.

7. Most circumcisions are performed without adequate anesthesia (even a nerve block doesn't get the vagus nerve.) Sugar water definitely doesn't dull the pain. Newborns are proven to feel pain more acutely than adults b/c of their nervous system immaturity.

8. The selling of foreskins from circumcision is big business. They are made into face creams. Is that where you want your son's body part to go?

9. The new testament specifically says that Christians are not supposed to be circumcised. See Galatians 5:6. In short, circumcision was the old covenant and Jesus the new covenant. There are even Jews who reject circumcision.

10. There are no other cosmetic surgeries that parents are permitted to perform on their children without the child's consent. If the child grows to maturity and still wants to be circumcised, he can then have it done, and b/c his penis is fully grown, the doctor will be able to tell how much to remove and the man will have adequate pain relief during and after. Though the parents may have aesthetic preferences, the child may not share them. (Do you listen to your parents' music or wear your hair like theirs?)

Here's a great video from a doctor about circumcision: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30319025&hl=en

xMyLovelyLadyBumpx's picture
Joined: 02/17/11
Posts: 1198

I agree with Mandy and what she posted. (Except the religious aspects which don't apply to me lol)

I am very against causing pain to my child it is avoidable. And I think circ'ing is only for cosmetic procedure that my child can decide if he wants later in life. I wouldn't circ my daughter so why would I circ my son?

Joined: 06/14/11
Posts: 173

Here's a different view Wink Not right or wrong, just different...from personal experience.

I have had five boys. My first son, I was told both by my non-circing midwife, non circing pediatrician, and a ped that does the circs that my first son had less skin to begin with than boys after circ had. None would agree to circing him. He has had issues...from NOT circing.

The other four were circ'd. No problems what-so-ever. None of my boys have told me they wished to be non-circ'd. My other one said he wished he was because of issues from not being.

So, it is your personal decision to make of course, but both sides have merit....especially when you find your son to be one of the ones that have issues from not circing.

Just something from the other side too Wink

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

There is no way I would ever allow it. EVER. I have 4 intact boys.

Watch this (I am actually going to a public showing of this one tomorrow. I get to meet the guy who made it. )
http://cutthefilm.com/Cut_Website/Home.html
Penn and Tellar also did an awesome film about it. Bullsh!t is pretty comical, but it totally talks about why circumcision is just that, Bullsh!t.
Broodymama, I think I just fell in love with you!!

Also, here is a whole forum:
http://www.mothering.com/community/f/44/the-case-against-circumcision

If you have doubts, all I can say is DON'T DO IT. Care of a healthy newborn shouldn't involve an open wound.

RoniBoo's picture
Joined: 06/07/11
Posts: 903

Thanks everyone for the information Smile

Most likely my son will not be but I was just curious on others veiw points Smile

Thanks for sharing Smile

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

"RoniBoo" wrote:

Thanks everyone for the information Smile

Most likely my son will not be but I was just curious on others veiw points Smile

Thanks for sharing Smile

I love hearing that Smile

pankratzc's picture
Joined: 12/14/08
Posts: 17

We had our DS circumcised but mostly because his dad was and his dad wanted him to look the same... it is a personal choice

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

It should be a personal choice. Your son's.

This site is really helpful as well.
http://circumcisiondecisionmaker.com/

Joined: 07/04/11
Posts: 316

We didn't either and won't if this baby is a boy. No need for it medically. Sure some boys might need it done (although a teeny tiny amount) when they're older but they might also need their tonsils removed or some other surgical procedure done too.

emansmom's picture
Joined: 03/24/09
Posts: 752

"TyrantOfTheWeek" wrote:

It should be a personal choice. Your son's.

This site is really helpful as well.
http://circumcisiondecisionmaker.com/

Smile Love this!

So with my first son we did circ but I was very uneducated and just thought that is what we were supposed to do. I never thought of not doing it. No one talked to me about the risks/benefits it was just a given that we would circ. I was under the care of a OB at that time and a circ happy ped. Now I am educated and have realized that there is no reason to have them circ'd. My midwives are against circing and the ped I go to now will not even do them he feels so strongly against them. If my future son (if i have another) wants to be circ'd then he can make that decision on his own some day. Smile

Broodymama's picture
Joined: 05/29/11
Posts: 198

When our ped came to the hospital to check DS over, she came to talk to me and asked if we would be circing. I said no and she said, 'Oh, thank God! I hate doing those.' She actually stopped doing them because she was so against it. Also, something to consider is that a lot of insurance companies are dropping circs from their coverage because they're so unnecessary and are cosmetic. If I can't get them to pay for my boob job, why should they cover a circ? LOL

verdouxkai's picture
Joined: 03/05/07
Posts: 826

You've got your answer it looks like, and I'm expecting a girl, but I'll chime in and say that if we had had a boy, we would not have circ'd. I didn't really have an opinion one way or the other, but DH is uncircumcised and was against doing it.

xMyLovelyLadyBumpx's picture
Joined: 02/17/11
Posts: 1198

Mindie- I couldn't agree more!!

I don't want to sound rude or mean but every time someone says its a personal choice, that what I tell them.

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

"verdouxkai" wrote:

You've got your answer it looks like, and I'm expecting a girl, but I'll chime in and say that if we had had a boy, we would not have circ'd. I didn't really have an opinion one way or the other, but DH is uncircumcised and was against doing it.

Lucky!
My DH was on the fence. I just refused to back down.

GinnyP7's picture
Joined: 01/08/08
Posts: 39

I agree with everything said about NOT circ'ing. We didn't circ DS and won't circ any other sons we have. DH is circ'd so we both made the decision even though he won't look like daddy.

It's very easy to take care of and my co-worker friend has had many more problems with her son's cir'd penis. Once due to rubbing on the cloth diapers DS's penis got a little red but it wasn't infected, just needed some air (he had just learned to walk/run so I think it was because of that extra running around all of a sudden).

always_1111's picture
Joined: 08/09/09
Posts: 442

Talking about circumcision with pregnant ladies/moms is like talking about killing animals for food to PETA.

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

But it doesn't really need to be. If a person is 100% confident in their decision, it shouldn't matter what anyone says. Like when I hear/see posts on the supposed health benefits or other pro-circ things, I am confident enough to roll my eyes and move on. And if this topic is upsetting/offensive to someone, they shouldn't read it.
I don't mean to hurt feelings/make people mad. That truly isn't my intention. But if someone asks for opinions/options/whatever, then I am going to be honest about it and post links or whatever to back up what I say. Also, sometimes it is really hard to get a persons' tone through the internet. I think you gals are all pretty awesome and will do great with your babies. Even if I disagree.

Broodymama's picture
Joined: 05/29/11
Posts: 198

"TyrantOfTheWeek" wrote:

But it doesn't really need to be. If a person is 100% confident in their decision, it shouldn't matter what anyone says. Like when I hear/see posts on the supposed health benefits or other pro-circ things, I am confident enough to roll my eyes and move on. And if this topic is upsetting/offensive to someone, they shouldn't read it.
I don't mean to hurt feelings/make people mad. That truly isn't my intention. But if someone asks for opinions/options/whatever, then I am going to be honest about it and post links or whatever to back up what I say. Also, sometimes it is really hard to get a persons' tone through the internet. I think you gals are all pretty awesome and will do great with your babies. Even if I disagree.

Word. Compared to a lot of other threads I've seen on the issue, this has been by far, the tamest, most respectful thread yet. If the OP hadn't asked for my opinion, I wouldn't have given it but seeing as that was the whole point, I'll be honest with what I think. Wink

always_1111's picture
Joined: 08/09/09
Posts: 442

Oh no, I agree that this is a tame thread also regarding circing. But I was just saying that it can be vicious in other places. It always makes me laugh. There is nothing wrong with sharing information (especially when someone asks). That is what this place is for, right?

I didn't mean for my comment to come off wrong.

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

"always_1111" wrote:

Oh no, I agree that this is a tame thread also regarding circing. But I was just saying that it can be vicious in other places. It always makes me laugh. There is nothing wrong with sharing information (especially when someone asks). That is what this place is for, right?

I didn't mean for my comment to come off wrong.

Nah. I just know that I can be a passionate b!tch when it comes to this topic. I didn't want anyone to think I was going to far.

kridda_88's picture
Joined: 01/28/08
Posts: 1798

There have been a lot of posts against circ'ing. I posted on the January board as well but want to post it here. Some would say i circ'ed my boys because of my religion, I am LDS, but in all honesty I have seriously contemplated not having it done. BUT the reason I feel it is needed is that UTI's are very strong on both mine and DH's side of the family. DH's dad got on when he had a cath in for less then 2 hours. I am super prone to them and my mom didn't circ my BRO at first but he had a continues UTI or infection for 3+ months before she had it done and it cleared right up with out a problem. My BRO tried not to circ his first boy and ended up with the same problems with his boy as well. So my family history is against me. Especially with the fact that I get them at the drop of a hat too. For me it's more of a risk not to have it done than to have it done. My boys didn't have one problem other than DS2 kept trying to heal back over, so every diaper change I just needed to make sure to pull the skin back down.

I do not regret having my boys circ'ed. This little boy will be circ'ed too. For me, with my family's history, it just makes more sense to circ. But if there really is no reason, family history or what ever, to have it done then I say don't. I watched DS2's and wanted to take him away once I saw how the dr was doing it. Sad But deep down I knew it was best.

natelukesmom's picture
Joined: 02/08/09
Posts: 538

Both my boys ARE. Mostly because all the men in our family are, and my husband is, so we wanted everything the same. But also we are Christians and it kinda goes with the territory. If this is another boy we WILL circ' again.

My boys have had absolutely no problems with being circ'ed and I'm very glad they are. My ob did it the day after they were each born, and they got localized anestesia. This is my opinion on the topic, but I know some of you are against it. Just do what is right for you.

Joined: 07/08/11
Posts: 33

I will circ for the same reason as Amanda, outside of having other boys that are Smile

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

Which branch of Christianity requires it? I thought it was a Jewish/Muslim thing (Read: 1 Corinthians 7:19, Galatians 5:6, Galatians 6:15) Also, will you be having a ceremony?

Krista, what do they cut off if the girls in the family, or do they not have UTI issues?

emansmom's picture
Joined: 03/24/09
Posts: 752

"TyrantOfTheWeek" wrote:

Which branch of Christianity requires it? I thought it was a Jewish/Muslim thing (Read: 1 Corinthians 7:19, Galatians 5:6, Galatians 6:15) Also, will you be having a ceremony?

Krista, what do they cut off if the girls in the family, or do they not have UTI issues?

Yeah I was going to say the same thing about the Christianity thing. I am also a Christian and circing is not part of Christian belief. Since we as Christians are no longer under the old testament law, circumcision is NOT required.

Also regarding the UTIs I have done reading that the act of circing can lead to MORE UTIs in boys. The foreskin is a protective barrier against bacterias, acting as a protection against UTIs. Also UTIs are USUALLY associated with congenital abnormalities of the urinary tract so therefore if one is prone to UTIs being circ'd or not isn't going to make a bit of difference.

RoniBoo's picture
Joined: 06/07/11
Posts: 903

"always_1111" wrote:

Talking about circumcision with pregnant ladies/moms is like talking about killing animals for food to PETA.

lol Smile I can see that Smile I was just curious :eek:

Joined: 06/14/11
Posts: 173

I don't want to see this thread turn ugly...just sayin' Smile

I personally never debate religion or the choices that one has in their religion. It matters not to me, what ones religion or spiritial path leads them to. I am not Christian, but I believe that each person has a right to their own preferences and opinions, whether it be for religious purposes or not.

With that being said, I am of the mind set that no one should have to prove anything to anyone else here pertaining to their religion or personal choices.

Now I know some questions are being asked, but I've seen this before...we all have...and it can and will turn ugly at some point. It all leads to a difference of opinion and personal views. Maybe we should just leave it there and move on.

Christianity, as well as other religious paths mean many different things to many different people. One is not right or wrong, but maybe it is just different.

We all have a right to do or believe as we see fit. We will just have to agree to disagree on these issues and share if we want, but in a friendly way. Not in a way as to debate Wink

I appreciate all and any information from both sides. To share and find out information on others choices was the reason for this thread.

Peace and love to all :bigarmhug:

emansmom's picture
Joined: 03/24/09
Posts: 752

I don't think this thread is getting ugly. I respect everyone's decision to do whatever they want with their child (heck I circ'd my first!). I just think it is good to have all the facts. Circumcision is one thing that I think many people don't really think about. I know with my first I didn't know anything about it other than to just do it because that is what everyone I knew did. I am glad that I know the facts now and can make an informed decision to not do it.

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

I'm just trying to understand the other side I guess. It's one of those things where the logic just isn't there to me.

xMyLovelyLadyBumpx's picture
Joined: 02/17/11
Posts: 1198

I think the ladies here all have enough respect for each other and for themselves to not let this conversation reach a dangerous point.

verdouxkai's picture
Joined: 03/05/07
Posts: 826

Hehe yeah I've seen some crazy mean-spirited boards! So I'm very thankful to be on a nice one! :bigarmhug:

Joined: 09/09/11
Posts: 17

Thanks for all the helpful info girls! Idk what this LO is yet and haven't thought much about circumcision but this info will definitely be helpful if and when I have to make that decision!

CrunchyCatholicMama's picture
Joined: 06/27/11
Posts: 34

We didn't circ our 8 month old son because I was firmly against it. DH is circ'd and didn't see anything wrong with it, but I was adamant.

Circumcision really isn't a religious issue in this country, because we're the only country in the world that regularly circs for non-religious, non-medical reasons. Routine circumcision started in the US to curb masturbation, and I think we all know how effective that was. :rolleyes:

My $.02--if in doubt, don't do it. Your son can always have it done later, but you can never have it undone.

xMyLovelyLadyBumpx's picture
Joined: 02/17/11
Posts: 1198

"verdouxkai" wrote:

Hehe yeah I've seen some crazy mean-spirited boards! So I'm very thankful to be on a nice one! :bigarmhug:

I won't name the board but I was reading their circ discussion and holy cow were ladies aiming for the throat! It was no longer a friendly opinionated discussion but a massacre of other peoples parenting.
It may have no been this site exactly, I think it was one of the other BB I frequent but it was crazy!

RoniBoo's picture
Joined: 06/07/11
Posts: 903

I am partly sad to of even posted the message but I did learn a lot though Smile I just had no idea it would ruffle some feathers.. live and learn Smile

emansmom's picture
Joined: 03/24/09
Posts: 752

Roni- You shouldn't feel bad at all! You had a legitimate question about it and were looking for advice. We will have many discussions over the course of the pregnancy/birth/and when baby is here that everyone won't agree on but as long as we don't turn it into a nasty debate and are all respectful then it should be fine. I learn a lot during these discussions Smile