Subchronic hematoma

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19
Subchronic hematoma

Hey ladies anyone ever been diagnosed with a subchronic hematoma and had a successful pregnancy?

Danifo's picture
Joined: 09/07/10
Posts: 1377

With my first pregnancy I had a SCH diagnosed at 8 weeks. I had random bleeding daily until 11 weeks and was completely done by 14 weeks. I had an extra ultrasound at 16 weeks where they determined it had cleared on its own. They told me to take it easy, which I did (desk job) and I stopped my exercise and any heavy lifting.

With my 3rd pregnancy, I had heavy bright red bleeding everytime I did anything remotely close to activity. It started at 6 weeks and ended around 15 weeks. They never found a cause for that. My water did break at 33 weeks but I don't know if there is any relation.

I think most of the time it resolves itself and everything is fine. Google is not your friend here Smile

Joined: 03/02/07
Posts: 473

***Lurking from January***

I had one with a previous pregnancy. My baby arrived healthy as could be a few days before his due date.

Mine was very large and persisted through basically the entire second trimester-which is very rare. Usually they resolve on their own during the first trimester. I did a lot of bedresting, but we still made it to the end just fine.

I would agree with the above poster about the internet, although I did get on there when I had my SCH. There are scary stories, but truly your chances are good that it will not cause problems.

Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19

I started bleeding a little today and when I called my doc they said it was a sch and like you said not to worry about they resolve on their own. But it seems like I'm having a little more cramping and back pain than usual. Did you ladies have a little more cramping?

Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19

Ya google was no good!! Horrible stories!

BuckeyeK's picture
Joined: 10/23/06
Posts: 3087

My friend had one. Her dr put her on complete bedrest and terrified her and her husband with horror stories. She had a hard time bonding with the pregnancy because he (the dr) had her convinced she would lose the baby. In a few weeks it got better on its own, and she now has a healthy 5 month old.

Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19

It scares me, I just went to the bathroom again and it's now turn to bright red blood. I'm just praying that it's passing and getting out of there!!

Joined: 03/02/07
Posts: 473

Can your doctor see you for an ultrasound, especially if this is the first episode of bleeding? It was reassuring for me to see the baby with a heartbeat and everything when I was bleeding. The bleeding was bright red when I had it too.

Joined: 03/02/07
Posts: 473

Sorry I forgot-I don't recall having back pain, but I did have mild cramping. It wasn't really painful though.

Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19

Went to the er to get some reassurance due to my doc out of town. They couldn't find a hb on us. Sorry I'm not meaning to scare or be neg. thank you ladies for all your responses Smile

Joined: 12/07/10
Posts: 2421

I'm so very sorry that you have to go through this. Will you see your doctor again for a repeat scan or b/w? I will keep you in my thoughts. ((HUGS))

Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19

"JKfmAustin" wrote:

I'm so very sorry that you have to go through this. Will you see your doctor again for a repeat scan or b/w? I will keep you in my thoughts. ((HUGS))

Thank you! I see my doc on monday i was supposed to have an US today at 9:30 but i cancelled it, i didnt really feel like re-living the news all over again. whats a b/w..? lol thanks girl for the hugs i need all the hugs i can get right now.

cindyanns's picture
Joined: 02/20/10
Posts: 775

I was just diagnosed with this on Saturday. They called it a Subchronic Hemorrhage, but it's the same thing from what I've heard.

I woke up in a TON of blood with severe cramping and thought I was miscarrying, so we went into the emergency room.

It's been off and on since then. The doctor says we just have to wait and see; I'm on pelvic rest right now (no sex or orgasm) and I was told not to lift anything over 19 lbs, including my daughter. They told me it can clear up on its own, but there's no way for them to assure me if the baby will be okay or not. It's very difficult for us right now, so I understand how upsetting it is.

Is there a reason your doctor hasn't had you come in? You might want to request to come in, just for your reassurance. I've had 3 u/s since I started bleeding. The first was when we thought I lost the baby, but they found out it was the SCH. The second was with my follow up appointment with my doctor because she wanted to make sure the baby made it through the weekend. The third was a couple of days ago, I went in because I started bleeding and cramping heavily again and I was scared. It was for my reassurance.

The baby is hanging in there. All we can do right now is hope. I wish the best for you and your baby too. I'm sorry you have to go through this, it's horrible.

Joined: 07/26/04
Posts: 1595

*Lurker*

I bled throughout my first trimester and they were never able to find a reason why. At one point I even passed blood clots and I was told I was miscarrying and my DD is now 7 years old. I had all sorts of U/S and BW done and they just couldn't determine what was wrong. So hopefully it's nothing, but I suggest you rest up as much as you can. I was on bedrest for the first trimester.

Joined: 03/02/07
Posts: 473

I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm not sure from your post.....did you have a US while in the ER? Or was it just a doppler? I was 12 weeks when I had the bleeding from my SCH and the nurse in the ER did not find a HB with the doppler. You're still really early and they could have just missed it.

Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19

"cindyanns" wrote:

I was just diagnosed with this on Saturday. They called it a Subchronic Hemorrhage, but it's the same thing from what I've heard.

I woke up in a TON of blood with severe cramping and thought I was miscarrying, so we went into the emergency room.

It's been off and on since then. The doctor says we just have to wait and see; I'm on pelvic rest right now (no sex or orgasm) and I was told not to lift anything over 19 lbs, including my daughter. They told me it can clear up on its own, but there's no way for them to assure me if the baby will be okay or not. It's very difficult for us right now, so I understand how upsetting it is.

Is there a reason your doctor hasn't had you come in? You might want to request to come in, just for your reassurance. I've had 3 u/s since I started bleeding. The first was when we thought I lost the baby, but they found out it was the SCH. The second was with my follow up appointment with my doctor because she wanted to make sure the baby made it through the weekend. The third was a couple of days ago, I went in because I started bleeding and cramping heavily again and I was scared. It was for my reassurance.

The baby is hanging in there. All we can do right now is hope. I wish the best for you and your baby too. I'm sorry you have to go through this, it's horrible.

My doctor is out of town but I had called the office and they couldn't get me in right away because they had. I ultra sound techs that's why I went to ER and the did blood work and an us. The ER doc said my blood was good by my us said baby had no hb. I couldn't see for myself because the damn tech wouldn't let me see!! But the ER doc told me I basically had mmc. I had an us scheduled for today but I cancelled just to upset to hear bad news all over again.

I'm sorry you have to go through all this as well I'm glad your little peanut is hanging in there!! I will keep you in my prayers!

Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19

"overthemoon" wrote:

I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm not sure from your post.....did you have a US while in the ER? Or was it just a doppler? I was 12 weeks when I had the bleeding from my SCH and the nurse in the ER did not find a HB with the doppler. You're still really early and they could have just missed it.

No it was an ultra sound I had my friend in the room with me and she couldn't see anything either. But when I mc the first time everything came that day but like yesterday and today I have light cramping and light bleeding that's now turned back to brown so I'm almost curious.. I don't know what to think

Joined: 12/07/10
Posts: 2421

"sarahvaughan" wrote:

Thank you! I see my doc on monday i was supposed to have an US today at 9:30 but i cancelled it, i didnt really feel like re-living the news all over again. whats a b/w..? lol thanks girl for the hugs i need all the hugs i can get right now.

b/w = bloodwork

Good luck at your appointment today. Please keep us posted. I'm sending you lots of positive vibes!

Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19

"JKfmAustin" wrote:

b/w = bloodwork

Good luck at your appointment today. Please keep us posted. I'm sending you lots of positive vibes!

Thank you ladies for all your wonderful posts and support. Sadly I lost the baby and am going through another mc. My doc is gonna run some test to possibly find out why I can't seem to get through te 7-9w mark. I hope all of you ladies have happy and healthy pregnancies!! Keeping you all in my prayers Smile

Joined: 12/07/10
Posts: 2421

I am so sorry for your loss. Sad

I've had 3 miscarriages and a chemical pregnancy so I know how heartbreaking this is for you. My OB and RE ran bunch of tests on me as well and they were able to find a treatment plan for me. I hope that your OB or RE can finally give you some answers and that you'll be back in no time with exciting news for us! ((HUGS))

TaylorAna's picture
Joined: 06/28/09
Posts: 216

*Lurker*

Ask your doctor about starting progesterone pills/shots/suppositories when you get a positive test next time. I had an SCH with my DS, was put on Progestin pills 2x a day, and it cleared on its own. I never had bleeding, just ALOT of painful cramps. My best friend was never able to stay pregnant either until she started on them and managed to stay through. It might not be enough for you, or even the right treatment, but it's worth bringing up.

Joined: 07/04/12
Posts: 19

"TaylorAna" wrote:

*Lurker*

Ask your doctor about starting progesterone pills/shots/suppositories when you get a positive test next time. I had an SCH with my DS, was put on Progestin pills 2x a day, and it cleared on its own. I never had bleeding, just ALOT of painful cramps. My best friend was never able to stay pregnant either until she started on them and managed to stay through. It might not be enough for you, or even the right treatment, but it's worth bringing up.

I just went to go and see my doc for a follow up appointment and he said that exact same thing! He told me that when we get pregnant again he is automatically putting me on progesterone supplements and baby asprin no testing needed.. Im already starting myself on the baby asprin and prenatals i figure ill get ahead of the game. Your story gives me faith that one day i will be holding my little one instead of saying good bye. Smile Now its just recovery time and some R&R!