Getting ready

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 07/21/02
Posts: 1006
Getting ready

I've been starting to get things ready for baby! Hit 35 weeks yesterday and started getting things out and washed for baby's arrival. I'd love to get it all done in the next 3 weeks and just have the last few to wait, ready to go!

One thing is, since I don't need anything this time around, I had planned to buy a Bob double jogger. So I've been watching on Craigslist for a while for a good deal. A friend of mine from church then posted her craigslist ad for hers on facebook so I'm buying it! I went over to see if my carseat fit her adapter--it didn't--and realized my carseat is a year expired Sad So I'm also buying her infant seat she has for sale with the stroller and carseat adapter bar.

Kinda sad because I really loved my baby trend seat. I used it for my last 2 and I loved it. The triangle handle was the best for carrying it! This one is a graco with a higher weight limit though, so it should be nice. But I'm most excited about the Bob! Can't wait to get back into running--hopefully will get to do my favorite half marathon on Labor day!

Joined: 05/22/13
Posts: 349

Yay... Bummer... Yay!! (I think I did that right) ...

smsturner's picture
Joined: 05/11/09
Posts: 1303

Great on the stroller! Sorry about the car seat. It's nice you could use hers though Smile

(BTW - I totally had to look up what a bob stroller was lol)

Joined: 07/21/02
Posts: 1006

I picked up the stroller today--its great! I've never had a stroller that really pushed and steered well. This one is a dream! Can't wait to start running again! Even using it to walk the mile up to school and back whenever the weather is nice will be awesome until baby is big enough to jog with! And the carseat isn't bad, just not the same handle I loved. Oh well--the carseat fits the stroller and isn't expired so it was a necessary evil.

Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

Glad you were able to find a good used jogging stroller. I know what you mean about the car seat handle. We have a Baby Trend infant carrier with the nice triangle handle (not expired luckily) that I hope to use again. We also had an evenflo infant carrier that the hospital made us purchase there b/c the nurses were convinced DS was too small at birth to fit into the BT carrier. I did not like the handle on the evenflo and the fact that you had to rethread the harness to make height adjustments. I switched to the BT as soon as DS got a little bigger.

Joined: 07/21/02
Posts: 1006

Oh, I just checked out the Graco I got yesterday. While mostly nice--you're right about the rethreading! It looks like it has to be rethreaded for height adjustments. Bummer! I loved how the Baby trend just had that little knob in the back! And the handle will be a thing to get used to after using the BT with my last 2 Sad But overall the seat is nice. It is a Graco Snugride 35. Anyone else have this one? I never bothered with a high weight limit seat because my babies are itty-bitty. I just took my newly minted 2-year old (birthday was Sunday!) to his 2 year checkup. He is 29 lbs and 33 inches Smile I looked at the Graco's limits on its side sticker and it said 35 lbs and 32 inches. So my 2 year old would barely have outgrown this seat in height and not in weight yet! I never even pulled it out of the car to carry babies after they hit 10 or so months (unless they were really really asleep)-my arm couldn't take it! I just put them in a convertible RF seat at 1 and keep them there until they outgrow that. My 2 year old is still RFing Smile

Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

"HollyBear" wrote:

Oh, I just checked out the Graco I got yesterday. While mostly nice--you're right about the rethreading! It looks like it has to be rethreaded for height adjustments. Bummer! I loved how the Baby trend just had that little knob in the back! And the handle will be a thing to get used to after using the BT with my last 2 Sad But overall the seat is nice. It is a Graco Snugride 35. Anyone else have this one? I never bothered with a high weight limit seat because my babies are itty-bitty. I just took my newly minted 2-year old (birthday was Sunday!) to his 2 year checkup. He is 29 lbs and 33 inches SmileI looked at the Graco's limits on its side sticker and it said 35 lbs and 32 inches. So my 2 year old would barely have outgrown this seat in height and not in weight yet! I never even pulled it out of the car to carry babies after they hit 10 or so months (unless they were really really asleep)-my arm couldn't take it! I just put them in a convertible RF seat at 1 and keep them there until they outgrow that. My 2 year old is still RFing Smile

Yeah, I sometimes wonder with the high weight limit infant carriers if it is even worth the extra money since I can't believe someone would choose to haul a 30+ lb kid around while in a car seat. We just switched DS to forward facing in his convertible seat this month - he was 35 inches and about 31 lbs at his 2 year check up last month. I have to say it is so much easier on my back lifting him in now that he is FF, plus I'm not bonking his little head on the car door frame like I was towards the end when I was still hoisting him into RF.

Joined: 07/21/02
Posts: 1006

I actually find it easier to buckle him RF--for now. I wonder if when I have to move him to the middle seat (he is behind driver seat) to put the baby behind me if it will be easier to FF. I have to put baby sister behind driver though because I can't lift the bucket seat OVER his seat to be in the middle, whether it is RF or FF. So I'll put him in first, then snap baby in, then get him buckled. But at least he'll be in the car and not running into a parking lot while I get baby in. And when my big kids are not in school, they help get him into his seat and start fishing his arms through straps etc. Smile

Christina--when he was still RF, did your LO ever complain about his feet hurting? He often cries and complains that his foot hurts and I wonder if his foot has fallen asleep? He is also a very verbal 2 year old and has no trouble telling me things.

Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

"HollyBear" wrote:

Christina--when he was still RF, did your LO ever complain about his feet hurting? He often cries and complains that his foot hurts and I wonder if his foot has fallen asleep? He is also a very verbal 2 year old and has no trouble telling me things.

My son isn't nearly as verbal as your son from what you've described on previous posts Smile As far as I could tell, DS never acted like he was in pain or uncomfortable when RF even when his legs were getting scrunched up the last few months of RF. Poor little guy! I've read (articles that encourage RF) that even if the kid's legs are all scrunched up that it doesn't bother them and they can always shift their legs if needed. Does he only complain on longer trips? It is always the same foot, b/c maybe that leg is blocked from stretching by another object (e.g., car door, another car seat)?

Joined: 07/21/02
Posts: 1006

"xtinagreen" wrote:

My son isn't nearly as verbal as your son from what you've described on previous posts Smile As far as I could tell, DS never acted like he was in pain or uncomfortable when RF even when his legs were getting scrunched up the last few months of RF. Poor little guy! I've read (articles that encourage RF) that even if the kid's legs are all scrunched up that it doesn't bother them and they can always shift their legs if needed. Does he only complain on longer trips? It is always the same foot, b/c maybe that leg is blocked from stretching by another object (e.g., car door, another car seat)?

Yes he is VERY verbal--we can't get him to stop talking....ever! I've had 2 that talked well this early and 2 that haven't. He speaks in full sentences and has for a while now--he had good 3-4 words phrases since 18 months!

So yesterday he was only in the car from home to piano lessons (10 minutes) and then we usually sit in the car outside piano and wait, so I handed him some goldfish in a little cup to eat in his seat. After just a few minutes in the car (like 10?) He was crying saying "Mine foot hurting!" So I let him get out and let my 5 year old get out with him and they ran around the piano teacher's front yard and sidewalk for a few minutes and then he was fine. But when I first stood him up out of his seat, he didn't want to stand on his foot. I haven't noticed if it is always the same foot. I was told by the carseat tech who checked out my install at the fire department though that with this seat, you can only use the 2 crotch strap slots that are closest to the child when it is rear facing--and I wonder if he has outgrown those 2 slots and it needs to be moved forward because it is pinching at his hips? Which would mean his size, even though he has 6 lbs to the RF weight limit of 35 lbs, means that he has outgrown the RF? I'd love to keep him RF until he reaches that 35 lbs though--he is 29 now. Plus I wonder if he can bother baby sister a little less f he is facing the same way as her--like he can't reach her especially with his feet (ds2 used to kick dd in the face when he was next to her and he was RF and she was FF).

Stormy Weather's picture
Joined: 10/03/09
Posts: 326

If it is at all reassuring for you, my son is 3.5 and has always rear faced. He'd be particularly loud about it if anything hurt, (he was a very early talker). He's never made a peep or expressed any need/desire to turn round to forward face, even though his friends are all forward facing now. I actually thought initially that once he got to about 2 he would have complained, but he's obviously comfortable. So now I do think they just find it easier than we would to sit like that. My son's about 105cm tall now I think.

Holly, I wonder if your LO is getting sore feet (if he's like my son and says he has sore feet, he probably does, unless he's being asked "have you got sore feet" by someone all the time, in which case I find it can put ideas into their heads).... in any case, I was wondering if the angle of the seat could be adjusted to change his posture a bit? It might be worth a try. Smile

Joined: 07/21/02
Posts: 1006

"Stormy Weather" wrote:

Holly, I wonder if your LO is getting sore feet (if he's like my son and says he has sore feet, he probably does, unless he's being asked "have you got sore feet" by someone all the time, in which case I find it can put ideas into their heads).... in any case, I was wondering if the angle of the seat could be adjusted to change his posture a bit? It might be worth a try. Smile

I will need to play with the angle of the seat when I move his seat to another spot in the car and see if I can move it a little. I do believe him when he says his foot hurts--he hasn't been asked if his foot hurt. I only asked him "what's wrong? why are you crying?" when he cries and he offers that his foot hurts. I really think it is a "sleepy foot" thing whenever it happens, because when I take him out, he walks on it funny for a minute and then it is better. I know I hate walking on tingly, sleepy feet! Smile

Log in or register to post comments