I feel like I've been gone a long time, but I think it has only been about a week or so. This past week has been a roller coaster of emotions for me and I feel like I'm still trying to get myself to a place of acceptance of what may or may not come for us. My follow up level two u/s at MFM was last Tuesday. We had been referred from anatomy scan at my OB office to check for possible ventricular septal defect and kidney cyst. During the second u/s we were feeling pretty good as my OB had made it seem like he wasn't too concerned about their initial findings and everything seemed to be going smoothly during the current scan. The MFM doctor came in afterwards to tell us that while we seemed to have a healthy baby that there were some concerns of unilateral choroid plexus cyst, a small membranous VSD and a pelvic cyst likely on the bowel. He said the VSD could close up on its own or if not, it may cause no issues for child or it could require medications and/or surgery down the road. He didn't seem too concerned about the cysts individually as they could be normal variants however because we have all of these anomalies together they could be a sign of something else going on. So I ended up having an amniocentesis that same day. Our FISH results (the rapid test that checks just a few chromosome issues like trisomies 13, 18, 21) came back normal and the full karyotype results came back yesterday as normal so that ruled out the most common chromosomal disorders. I want to feel relief at this point, then the genetics counselor who called with results says that we also have the option to do DNA microarray test that would look for small genetic duplications or deletions that may (may being key word here as some of these may not manifest as any issues later on) cause problems. I met with her today to go over the u/s findings and test results. I told her I've pretty much decided just to let it be, we would be having this baby regardless and at this point more information will just make me feel more anxious. I brought home copies of the tests and u/s results for DH to look over. We have about a week to make final decision as the cell culture leftover from amnio will only stay good that long. Pretty certain we will decide not to go ahead with microarray though...I'm just feeling burned out from all the testing. I want to enjoy this pregnancy again for what it is and we can deal with the issues that may or may not there later. We have a follow up level 2 u/s at MFM in late December and will probably get a referral for a pediatric cardiologist around that time.
Sorry for the long story. I feel like I should be pleased that we passed the amnio and the u/s anomalies are the more common ones that can either fix themselves or are easily managed, but then I think maybe the amnio isn't giving us the whole picture and we are going to be hit with a whole slew of other problems when baby is born or growing up. Blah...so I'm just feeling down right now and hope that this feeling will pass and I can go back to being excited for baby again because it really isn't his fault or anyone's really. It could be worse...but it's not good either, you know