Please, introduce yourself!
Please, introduce yourself!
Hi. I'm Kierstin. I am currently pregnant with my 4th (Due in Nov.). I have OI and my ob usually does extra ultrasounds to watch for signs of my baby's having it as well (there is always a 50/50 chance that they will have it). Only DD has it so far. I did have preterm contractions with each of my kids.. starting at 30, 28, and 24 weeks. DS#2 was born at 36 weeks after my water broke (was 5lbs 8oz), and DD was induced at 36 weeks and 5 days (was 5lbs 5oz).
There is only a 40% chance that I will have preterm contractions again... meaning a 60% chance that I wont. I am focusing on the 60%. There is a bigger gap between my pregnancies this time... where there was only 9 months between when I had DS#2 and DD, so I really think that increases my odds. As well as the fact that I am down to the weight I was when I got pregnant with DS#1. That, and with DD I was in a bad place mentally (I explained it in a post on the Nov. board). So, given all of that, I am hoping that I will avoid the preterm contractions all together this time around :)
Hi, My name is Amanda. DH and I are TTC #3 (#2 for him). My first DS was born at 29 weeks and I also had pre-term contractions and bed rest also with DS #2 born at 39 weeks. I received progesterone shots starting at 16 weeks with #2 and I'm sure I will have to go that route again once I conceive again!
I was high risk with DD's pregnancy. It started around 22 weeks, I started having symptoms and by 26 weeks I was diagnosed with cholestasis. For those who don't know what it is, essentially your liver/gaul bladder aren't fond of pregnnacy hormones and therefore don't flush your bile salts from your blood, so it builds up making you (mommy) itch from head to toe to the point you can't sleep. Because it's in your blood, there's risk to the baby, the most notable being stillbirth. I had a second opinion / meeting with a maternal fetal med specialist at one of the best hospital in the state/north east. I was had been on moderate bed rest from about 24 weeks on and was put on strict bed rest at 28 weeks. The plan was to deliver at 37 weeks as long as her lungs were developed enough(going longer then that puts the baby at higher risk as your levels can double overnight). I had NSTs 2x a week and growth u/s's every other week. She was always fantastic but I felt horrible the whole time. I was in the hospital overnight at 33 weeks and 35 weeks for preterm labor. My water broke at 36 wks 6 days and had my daughter 6 hours later. She's perfectly healthy thankfully and measured at 36 weeks even.
We're now TTCing (AF is a little late but likely just having to wait until next cycle to conceive) and hoping I can avoid cholestasis. While it's more likely I'll have it again, I'm going to try to have as low fat of a diet as possible as that can help. If I do have it again, I hope to avoid it until 36 weeks + as the few women who do contract it tend to have it at full term or later.
Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you other high risk ladies! Bed rest can be so horribly boring and helpless. I hope everyone can have the happiest and healthiest 9 months possible!
Kayla~ No. I was going to with DD, but my INS wouldnt cover it :( My step sister has an incompetent cervix, as well as other issues, and it did work for her. My cervix is "stuborn" as my ob puts it, so thats good. I just have an irritable uterus that is prone to contracting... what ever that means. We'll see what happens this time. Crossing my fingers that I wont even have to worry about it :)
Mia, that sounds awful! I have heard of it but wouldn't have remembered the name. I believe I saw it on an episode of some pregnancy show on TLC once but that is it. I'm guessing that means it is pretty rare? I really hope you are able to avoid it the next time around.
Kier, that stinks that your insurance wouldn't cover it. I do get a percentage of mine covered and the price went down when I had to switch to 17P suppositories. (Maybe you could as about the price of doing suppositories instead?) I did the injections with my first but found out, after a month of injections in this pregnancy, that I've developed an allergy to the caster oil they use in the compound. The suppositories are a pain but I was glad to have an alternative. My doctor is pretty certain the 17P is helping my uterus be *less* irritable. It's still cranky!!! Thankfully, my cervix is also stubborn, as your doctor put it. As long as it stays that way, the contractions are just an annoyance. However, my history of PTD means I'm still at risk for another early baby. Hopefully we can make it to at least 36 weeks like before.
Welcome ladies! I'm a cohost of this board so I'll share my story with you all, too.
I have always been super healthy my entire life. I'm a nurse and I have been exposed to a lot of germs so I never get sick (after being sick for an entire year when I first started working!). I never went to the doctor except to get my yearly pap and a yearly physical from my PCP. I got pregnant on Valentines Day 2011 and my pregnancy was picture perfect for 36 weeks.
I got in a car wreck on September 29th 2011 and my BP shot up and never came back down. I started having severe swelling of my legs and feet, headaches, and flashing lights in the corners of my eyes. I had to start going to my OB twice a week, was put on bed rest, and had to have a ton of lab work. I carried Carter as long as I could but the pre-e was taking a serious toll on my body and my labs were getting bad. I was induced at 38w0d and after 5 hours of labor my sweet boy was born! During labor my bp was up to 200/150, which was scary but I did fine. I stayed high for several weeks after delivery but I'm now back down to my usual 110/70 range.
I'm really concerned about this happening again for my future pregnancies. It wasn't a fun experience but I hope that maybe I can help support and encourage others who are dealing with high risks and all the frustration it brings.
Kayla - Yes it is pretty rare, less then 1 in 1000 women will get it and while the chances of me having it a second time are more than likley, I'm hopeful. No family history or anything like that although most people don't have a family history because of the rarity.
Kier - it's got to be stressful with the insurance not covering things. I hope it's a complete non issue for you this round!
Jenni - I remember they were nervous that I was heading toward pre-e at the end of my pregnancy. Even when I felt fine (and I have a history of perfect bp) my numbers were nuts at the end and I just felt awful. I have heard of a lot of women with past pre-e/full blown eclampsia pregnancies going on to have low risk non complicated ones later. I don't know the specifics of it, but apparently diet can help a lot? Not totally sure on that but I'm sure there's good info out there.
Jenni, I have a friend who had pre-e and ended up with a emergency c/s at 28 weeks with their daughter. Thankfully, she is a healthy 7 year old today. She had a son two years later. She went to term and was healthy all the way through! I know she was nervous but it all turned out very well.