What do you do?

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
turtnjay's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/24/09
Posts: 2095
What do you do?

As a mini check in, and just pure curiosity...

What do you do for a living?

If you are a SAHM, any hobbies or money making talents you do as often as possible or to help the bottom line?

(Even if you work outside the home, any hobbies, talents can be shared!)

Mommyin0406080912's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/16/08
Posts: 1644

I was a stay at home till a few weeks ago and now I am a head cashier. I will only be working till about October and will leave my job. I don't really need to work even though the extra money is nice Smile But I love being a stay at home mom and with #5 on the way it will save a lot in childcare!

JuneorJulyBaby?'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/20/08
Posts: 2479

I'm a chemist at a pharmaceutical company. Fun stuff to be around when pg Beee

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 04/27/09
Posts: 251

great question! i am an admin assistant at a large bank...i really like my job and am hoping i can stay. i'm on a mat leave contract and the person i'm covering is back in july...my contract is being extended until november, and then i'm supposed to be offered a permanent position...but who knows what will happen now that i am pg!!

DH is a teacher, so it's nice that he has summers/holidays off and will be able to lend a hand with the new little monkey.

yellow.rose.of.canada's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/13/10
Posts: 1174

I'm a pastor... my husband and I pastor together, but he also works full time so I do all of the administrative/day to day work.
I also sew and have started selling at our local farmer's market.

AmberBella's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/15/07
Posts: 1831

I'm an elementary school music teacher 3 days a week and a part time photographer....I mostly shoot head shots these days.

thinktink19's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 06/18/06
Posts: 1028

Right now I work at a coffee cafe called Tim Hortons, alot of Northerners/Canadians will know what it is lol. I will be there for another couple weeks and whenever we move back to St Louis I wont be working until after baby is born depending on how hubby is doing and what his income is like. He is a nail tech and before the stroke was the bread winner of the family. He would like me to me a SAHM but we shall see how things pan out. For now im planning on going back to work after maternity, and I can return to my old job as a maid.

turtnjay's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/24/09
Posts: 2095

I'm primarily a SAHM, though I also run a small cake decorating business called Window Sill Bakeshop.

I love it but it is stressful. I've cut way down on my orders, thank goodness, because I was just hating it. Not sure when I'll cut off all orders, perhaps around 30 weeks. And then after birth, well, for as long as I want really.

DH is an attorney and works crazy long hours so having to take care of babies and the house, and make sure my teenagers are all good...and make orders...yeah...stress x infinity!

Cinn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 02/19/07
Posts: 68

"thinktink19" wrote:

Right now I work at a coffee cafe called Tim Hortons, alot of Northerners/Canadians will know what it is lol. I will be there for another couple weeks and whenever we move back to St Louis I wont be working until after baby is born depending on how hubby is doing and what his income is like. He is a nail tech and before the stroke was the bread winner of the family. He would like me to me a SAHM but we shall see how things pan out. For now im planning on going back to work after maternity, and I can return to my old job as a maid.

Ha ha Timmies is an institution here!!! I'm a cashier/cook at Dixie Lee Chicken not many hours but it all helps. I sew alot not alot of money doing that but my family is workint on getting my stuff out there

blueyesongod's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 11/14/07
Posts: 256

I am a social worker, and I sew and do alterations on the side.

turtnjay's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/24/09
Posts: 2095

I soo wish I could sew!!! I am jealous!

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 07/21/02
Posts: 1007

I am mostly SAHM and love it.

But I also run a small internet business--I make cloth eye patches for kids with lazy eye (or other vision problems that require a patch). I have a website (you can check it out from my siggy) so most orders just come from online, but I also supply wholesale to doctor offices. But I am a huge advocate for children's vision and will most likely put in a plug to get your kid's vision checked at some point! LOL

Some of my other hobbies are sewing (the favorite) and scrapbooking (which I am way behind on) and cooking Smile

brawlberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 02/02/11
Posts: 173

I'm a SAHM/hausfrau - more emphasis on the "housewife" right now since Things 1 and 2 are both in school all day. I've been a dog groomer, indie yarn/wool dyer and spinner, and a Pure Romance consultant, in addition to other minimum wage jobs that I prefer not to think about. I spent the last 3 1/2 years working towards my bachelors, but then I found out that I'd need another 2 1/2 years to get it, and I was so burnt out on going that I decided to take an indefinite "sabbatical" (which is what I told the department head when she asked).

Mr. Berry is a special education teacher who's looking for a new position next year - his district cut 2 teachers from special ed, even though their enrollment is going up next year. Effing public schools. This summer he's working as a floating coordinator for Cincinnati Rec (which is paying really well), and he gets his salary from his district until the end of summer. He also get a small amount every month from the VA for disability supplement (he injured his back while he was in the Army), and he also does home-instruction for a couple students in his district that are too medically fragile to attend school. I'd go back to work, but I'm really not suited for anything higher paying than working at McDonald's (and I did that last year all summer long and through the semester I attended school), and we need someone at home in case of doctor's appointments for the kids or if Thing 2 gets rowdy and gets sent home from school (happens more often than I'd like).

My hobbies include knitting, spinning yarn, weaving, crocheting, playing computer games, and driving around aimlessly (I've had to stop that since gas prices have gone up so much).

Alissa_Sal's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

I'm a "Client Executive" for a credit card processing company. Which basically means that I have a portfolio of about a dozen of some of our largest clients that I work with to basically make sure that they are happy with and ideally growing their business with us.

Brawlberry - my DH is also a teacher (HS English) who is looking for a new position because of budget cuts. Stressful to know that his paycheck stops as of August, although I'm sure he'll find something.

ETA: Oh yeah. Hobbies. Errrr...I like to read. Does that count? Smile

Erin Elizabeth's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/18/08
Posts: 472

Well I've just spent the last 7 years in college. Graduated '08 with my B.A. in Psychology, will be graduating this month with my M.S. in Child Life. Anybody who has had a NICU baby or a hospitalized child might have run into a Child Life Specialist. A Child Life Specialist works with children and families in the medical healthcare setting to promote effective coping skills, lower procedural anxiety, normalize the hospital environment for kiddos, and pretty much just be a family advocate! I am currently on the job market for a Child Life position, have an interview lined up!

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

I'm an occupational therapist. I was full time for several yrs at a hospital up until last summer then switched to per diem position b/c was feeling burned out from my hour each way commute and slow ttc process. I recently started a second per diem position at another hospital that is only a 10 minute commute. I love the people I work with at my farther commute job so I haven't been able to cut the cord yet Smile though I may change my mind after the baby is born. I plan to keep working as far along as my pregnant body will let me and then after birth, work mostly some weekend days and a few weekdays when DH or family can watch the baby (my mom is a teacher & has offered to watch baby for part of her school breaks). I don't want my OT license to expire so I will probably never become a full time SAHM. DH is a software developer so is available weekends but can occasionally work from home if really needed. I'm also grateful that his company gives one month paid paternity leave which will come in handy on those initial newborn days and nights.

brawlberry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 02/02/11
Posts: 173

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Brawlberry - my DH is also a teacher (HS English) who is looking for a new position because of budget cuts. Stressful to know that his paycheck stops as of August, although I'm sure he'll find something.

It sucks that we have to worry so much about it, doesn't it? He got into special ed because our daughters are both special needs and he recognized that most schools need professionals whose interest in special ed is a little more personal. He's a male special ed teacher (which is almost impossible to find), he's involved in extracurriculars - sponsor of the class of 2013, runs the Chess Club, volunteers to run Friday schools, does in-home instruction for certain students, and does internal substitution (when a teacher calls in sick in his building, if he has the time he'll go over and substitute). Yet somehow he's the first person cut? I know it's because he's technically the low man on the totem pole, but still.

Special ed is supposed to be the educational career's equivalent of "job security," since the amount of positions within a district is mandated by someone other than the school board and the superintendent. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR *flailywharrrrgarbleflail*
:violent2::censored::angry4::angry5::argh:

JuneorJulyBaby?'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/20/08
Posts: 2479

"Erin Elizabeth" wrote:

Well I've just spent the last 7 years in college. Graduated '08 with my B.A. in Psychology, will be graduating this month with my M.S. in Child Life. Anybody who has had a NICU baby or a hospitalized child might have run into a Child Life Specialist. A Child Life Specialist works with children and families in the medical healthcare setting to promote effective coping skills, lower procedural anxiety, normalize the hospital environment for kiddos, and pretty much just be a family advocate! I am currently on the job market for a Child Life position, have an interview lined up!

When Nicholas was in the hospital for a week when he was 3 weeks old we had a child life specialist come and visit all the time. She was amazing! She brought us books and a bouncy chair for Nicholas along with a crib aquarium. She brought me movies for the DVD player in the room and even accompanied us to radiology when he had a VCUG and told me what to expect. I think I would have been even more of a basketcase without her there! What a great field to go into.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

I have deep respect for people who go into teaching, b/c I grew up with parents who are/were teachers. I have extra respect for special ed teachers Smile as they go into it knowing their job is not going to be easy from day one and are driven to help the kids who might otherwise fall through the cracks. I hope everything works out for your DHs and your families.

Jenn0113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

I work in a marketing department as a traffic manager for a TV evangelist Wink

jessica_dillard1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 02/07/07
Posts: 132

I'm a SAHM and I consider my part time job to be trying to sell our home. LOL! It's been on the market since January and I swear we're never going to get it sold! I feel like I'm doing just as much work as our agent, what with trying to keep it clean constantly with a 3 1/2 year old and a large dog (yeah right!) and having to bolt out of the house when we have a showing.

I was a 3K teacher until the end of last school year. I loved my kiddos, but I'm so happy to have this time at home with Tanner. Now that we have another one on the way, I have even more of a reason to be home. I just hope I get to stay home after this LO is born!

Erin Elizabeth's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/18/08
Posts: 472

"JuneorJulyBaby?" wrote:

When Nicholas was in the hospital for a week when he was 3 weeks old we had a child life specialist come and visit all the time. She was amazing! She brought us books and a bouncy chair for Nicholas along with a crib aquarium. She brought me movies for the DVD player in the room and even accompanied us to radiology when he had a VCUG and told me what to expect. I think I would have been even more of a basketcase without her there! What a great field to go into.

Yay I'm glad someone knows what a CLS is!! (Not glad your LO had to be in the hospital). I swear, everytime I tell someone I'm a Child Life Specialist the common response is: "A what?!" But I'm glad you had a positive experience with a CLS! It is a great field Pardon

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 148

I'm a SAHM. I'm into some photography and have considered doing some part-time senior/family/children/newborn pics but procrastination and a bit of intimidation to the whole thing has been holding me back from making a leap into putting the word out there. A big reason I'd like to do it is that I know it would push me to improve my skills.

Also love to knit and work on my flowers/landscape during the spring/summer.

Tanylisa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 08/30/07
Posts: 770

I'm a SAHM but I have a few online stores that I sell my designs on their products, I also transcribe here and there but since my computer is in the basement I'm not on enough to really do much.

lesleynka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/26/11
Posts: 1845

I am a lingerer. lol.
I make catalogs & do advertising for a mom & pop distributor. I graduated in journalism & really want to be doing PR, but just haven't broken into the field yet & now I'm pregnant so that's gonna have to wait a little longer.

Hobbies: LOVE working out, soccer, was doing roller derby til pregnant, reading & being a mommy to my 2 girls (3 & 5)

I lost 65 lbs after having my 2nd girl so I am trying to stay active by running & lifting. I am TERRIFIED i am going to not be able to lose the weight after this baby, but i also know I HAVE to eat enough for it to be healthy.

turtnjay's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/24/09
Posts: 2095

"Jenn0113" wrote:

I work in a marketing department as a traffic manager for a TV evangelist Wink

Really?! Interesting! Huh?! I would have never guessed in a million years that job even existed!

This is such an interesting thread! I'm super glad I asked. Smile

Jenn0113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"turtnjay" wrote:

Really?! Interesting! Huh?! I would have never guessed in a million years that job even existed!

This is such an interesting thread! I'm super glad I asked. Smile

I started out trafficking the projects at the church for all the various ministries but in the last year or so started working exclusively with our direct mail program for the pastor instead. Its been a transition from what I was hired to do - Assistant to the College Ministry Pastor.

Jenn0113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"Tanylisa" wrote:

I'm a SAHM but I have a few online stores that I sell my designs on their products, I also transcribe here and there but since my computer is in the basement I'm not on enough to really do much.

Please explain Smile Or just give me the link Wink

yellow.rose.of.canada's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/13/10
Posts: 1174

"Jenn0113" wrote:

I started out trafficking the projects at the church for all the various ministries but in the last year or so started working exclusively with our direct mail program for the pastor instead. Its been a transition from what I was hired to do - Assistant to the College Ministry Pastor.

That's pretty cool... I have to ask... what evangelist do you work for? (As one in the ministry, it intrigues me. hehe)

Jenn0113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"yellow.rose.of.canada" wrote:

That's pretty cool... I have to ask... what evangelist do you work for? (As one in the ministry, it intrigues me. hehe)

Well hopefully no one googles his name like this and finds this site.

J.O.E.L O.S.T.E.E.N

yellow.rose.of.canada's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/13/10
Posts: 1174

I just googled it and it looks like you're safe. Wink I should have figured since you're in Texas. I grew up in the Houston area and some of my family goes to his church. My dad just adored his Dad back in the day. Smile

Tanylisa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 08/30/07
Posts: 770

"Jenn0113" wrote:

Please explain Smile Or just give me the link Wink

Here's the link to my Zazzle store:

http://www.zazzle.com/tannilisa

And here's my Cafepress store:

http://www.cafepress.com/deviousdesignz

I haven't been able to work on anything new in them in ages though, we got a Mac and I don't have any graphics programs in it yet, so I would have to hook up the old computer to design more stuff.

Jenn0113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"yellow.rose.of.canada" wrote:

I just googled it and it looks like you're safe. Wink I should have figured since you're in Texas. I grew up in the Houston area and some of my family goes to his church. My dad just adored his Dad back in the day. Smile

That's him Smile I've worked here nearly 9 years now. I started working here after his dad passed away and only recently heard his messages.

"Tanylisa" wrote:

Here's the link to my Zazzle store:

http://www.zazzle.com/tannilisa

And here's my Cafepress store:

http://www.cafepress.com/deviousdesignz

I haven't been able to work on anything new in them in ages though, we got a Mac and I don't have any graphics programs in it yet, so I would have to hook up the old computer to design more stuff.

You designed all of those? Wow - great job! You are really talented.

Tanylisa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 08/30/07
Posts: 770

Thanks Jenn! Yep I did all those, I have lots of drawings too but can't really get them to look right on the products.

Jenn0113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"Tanylisa" wrote:

Thanks Jenn! Yep I did all those, I have lots of drawings too but can't really get them to look right on the products.

I had no idea - all these years together Wink and I never knew.

turtnjay's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/24/09
Posts: 2095

"Jenn0113" wrote:

Well hopefully no one googles his name like this and finds this site.

J.O.E.L O.S.T.E.E.N

I've heard of him. He looks very, ummm....charming. Wink Not a big religious girl so I haven't listened to him but I've definitely heard and seen him around the TV.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 07/21/02
Posts: 1007

"xtinagreen" wrote:

I'm an occupational therapist. I was full time for several yrs at a hospital up until last summer then switched to per diem position b/c was feeling burned out from my hour each way commute and slow ttc process. I recently started a second per diem position at another hospital that is only a 10 minute commute. I love the people I work with at my farther commute job so I haven't been able to cut the cord yet Smile though I may change my mind after the baby is born. I plan to keep working as far along as my pregnant body will let me and then after birth, work mostly some weekend days and a few weekdays when DH or family can watch the baby (my mom is a teacher & has offered to watch baby for part of her school breaks). I don't want my OT license to expire so I will probably never become a full time SAHM. DH is a software developer so is available weekends but can occasionally work from home if really needed. I'm also grateful that his company gives one month paid paternity leave which will come in handy on those initial newborn days and nights.

My husband's last job (software developer as well!) gave him 1 mo paid paternity too--He just left there in December! I'm going to miss that!

Jenn0113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"turtnjay" wrote:

I've heard of him. He looks very, ummm....charming. Wink Not a big religious girl so I haven't listened to him but I've definitely heard and seen him around the TV.

Ha - gosh, so many thoughts running through my head at the moment. That's funny. Well - if you ever stop on the broadcast and see the little pop up ads at the bottom - think of me - I work with the people that design those and get them up there. My job is to make sure they get created and placed...among other things.

turtnjay's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/24/09
Posts: 2095

"Jenn0113" wrote:

Ha - gosh, so many thoughts running through my head at the moment. That's funny. Well - if you ever stop on the broadcast and see the little pop up ads at the bottom - think of me - I work with the people that design those and get them up there. My job is to make sure they get created and placed...among other things.

Well, he is rather good looking...right? Or am I strange!? Wink

I wish DH got paternity leave. I mean, by law he's supposed to but at such a small law firm it doesn't really happen. I think he stayed home for about 3 days after DS#4. But I don't mind, it comes with the territory.

Jenn0113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"~HollyBear~" wrote:

My husband's last job (software developer as well!) gave him 1 mo paid paternity too--He just left there in December! I'm going to miss that!

My Dh doesn't have paternity leave that I know of - but he does have 8 weeks of vacation :eek: However, he will only take off a week at most when I have the baby. He hates to miss work. He saves all his time for the holidays.

"turtnjay" wrote:

Well, he is rather good looking...right? Or am I strange!? Wink

I wish DH got paternity leave. I mean, by law he's supposed to but at such a small law firm it doesn't really happen. I think he stayed home for about 3 days after DS#4. But I don't mind, it comes with the territory.

No - he is attractive - but its weird to say that about my "big boss" you know? He is referred to as "The Smiling Preacher" because he always has this huge grin.

I need to ask my dh now about his paternity policy.

Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/19/06
Posts: 550

"thinktink19" wrote:

Right now I work at a coffee cafe called Tim Hortons, alot of Northerners/Canadians will know what it is lol.

I used to work at Timmies too ! That's where I met DH. lol We love Timmies in this house. Biggrin

"Jenn0113" wrote:

Well hopefully no one googles his name like this and finds this site.

J.O.E.L O.S.T.E.E.N

Your job sounds really cool Jenn. Biggrin

I became a full time SAHM last June when I decided not to return to work after my mat. leave ended. Before that, I worked for Bell Canada in the Network Management Center.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/20/07
Posts: 171

@ JENN0113....your job sounds really cool! To all the SAHM's...I envy you! There is no way that we could afford for one of us to stay home Sad

I am a business officer for the federal government....which is a pretty interesting job but definitely very repetitive.

Jenn0113's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

I envy the SAHM too - I'm hoping that by the time this LO turns one I can stay at home too.

lala122's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Joined: 05/04/11
Posts: 99

I am a Makeup Artist/Esthetician. I absolutely love my job, but will become a SAHM when the baby comes. Smile

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/31/11
Posts: 119

This thread was a great idea.. It was great getting to know all of you!

I am a homeschooling stay at home mom, who also helps her husband run a Mobile Drug Testing Business.

Most days are hectic and busy, and full of joy and fun! I have a great bunch of kiddo's who are all a blessing to me. I just love spending my time with them.
----------------------------------

"~HollyBear~" wrote:

I am mostly SAHM and love it.

But I also run a small internet business--I make cloth eye patches for kids with lazy eye (or other vision problems that require a patch). I have a website (you can check it out from my siggy) so most orders just come from online, but I also supply wholesale to doctor offices. But I am a huge advocate for children's vision and will most likely put in a plug to get your kid's vision checked at some point! LOL

Some of my other hobbies are sewing (the favorite) and scrapbooking (which I am way behind on) and cooking Smile

My 3rd oldest (6yrs) has lazy eye. Do you make patches for plastic framed glasses? I didn't see any on your site. I had to order patches from Canada to get some that would work with his plastic frames. No one told me when I purchased the frames that most patches work with those eyelets! LOL

I think that it's really cool that you make those! I'm sure that's a blessing to many.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

"~HollyBear~" wrote:

My husband's last job (software developer as well!) gave him 1 mo paid paternity too--He just left there in December! I'm going to miss that!

Yes, I'm especially thankful for DH's paid paternity leave because I lost my paid maternity & sick leave when I switched to a per diem position...but my intact (well mostly intact) sanity was well worth the trade.