PreSchool/Kindergarten...help me!

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
MrsRiggert's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/21/07
Posts: 2195
PreSchool/Kindergarten...help me!

Ok guys I don't know what to do! The cut off for Kindergarten is July 31st so in a few years I can test her in and have her start Kindergarten at 5 years old OR I can hold her and she'll start Kindergarten at 6. Personally I'd like to go ahead and send her at 5 but her daycare provider is an adimate believer in holding kids back.

This leaves me with 2 options for pre-school...

A) if she's going to go to kindergarten at age 5 I would like her to start pre-school this fall when she's 3 and next fall when she's 4

Dirol if she's going to kindergarten at age 6 then she won't start pre-school til next fall when she's 4 and then go again when she's 5.

I would like to send her this fall just to see if she's going to be ready. I mean, honestly, I think getting her into preschool will be the only way for me to decide if she'll be ready when she's 5. However the pre-school teacher is a little "iffy" on having a child who just turned 3 in the classroom.

I would like to believe Lexi is mature for her age and will be fine starting school at age 5 and starting preschool at age 3. I just don't know what to do! Am I hurting her by not olding her back or will she end up being bored when she gets older/in school??? HELP!

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 11/01/07
Posts: 650

I would send her if YOU think she is ready!!! Only you as a parent can make the right decision. You know best. Sounds like she is ready to me. We are pretty sure Stephen will be starting K when he is 5 as well. He has been the youngest kid in all his daycare rooms. When he gets bored, he acts up and is fine when is is moved up to the next room. He picks up tons from the older kids. He would be so bored if we held him back til 6. What does DH think? You are a good Mom to be thinking about it already Smile

synergy05's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 04/15/10
Posts: 1298

Megan in your area is there church run preschools? I know in my area we have a few. it might be an option for Lexi.

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/25/07
Posts: 190

2 years of pre-school is pretty standard around here; are there any 3 year old classes on your area or are they all literally the year before kindergarten (4)?? Savannah is being transitioned to the 3 year old class now. It's hard to know what a child will be capable of or ready for in a couple of years and the readiness has more to do with their maturity and not skills.

1stbabyboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 04/11/08
Posts: 183

"RobinBG" wrote:

I would send her if YOU think she is ready!!! Only you as a parent can make the right decision. You know best. Sounds like she is ready to me. We are pretty sure Stephen will be starting K when he is 5 as well. He has been the youngest kid in all his daycare rooms. When he gets bored, he acts up and is fine when is is moved up to the next room. He picks up tons from the older kids. He would be so bored if we held him back til 6. What does DH think? You are a good Mom to be thinking about it already Smile

This is exactly what I think and sounds a lot like Drew. We are doing a 3 year old preschool in the fall, just 2 days/week, and I will see how that goes. We have preschools through the county and through churches here and even though he will be one of the youngest, it is fine as long as he will be 3 by the time it starts. I feel like he will be bored if he starts late, but if he doesn't do well in 3 and 4 year old preschool, we will re-visit the issue. Good luck with the decision! I agree that you will know best!

MrsRiggert's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/21/07
Posts: 2195

"synergy05" wrote:

Megan in your area is there church run preschools? I know in my area we have a few. it might be an option for Lexi.

The place we are looking at is a church run preschool.

"PWammy" wrote:

2 years of pre-school is pretty standard around here; are there any 3 year old classes on your area or are they all literally the year before kindergarten (4)?? Savannah is being transitioned to the 3 year old class now. It's hard to know what a child will be capable of or ready for in a couple of years and the readiness has more to do with their maturity and not skills.

Either way she will be doing 2 years of pre-school, its just a matter of if she does preschool when she's 3 and 4 or when she's 4 and 5.

The girl that did Zayne's pictures today just finished her first year of college. She was the youngest in her class (Aug 17th birthday) and started when she was 5. So I decided to pick her brain and see if she thought school was harder for her since she started earlier/was youngest in her class. She told me academically it wasn't hard but she had a tough time with sports because she was younger. She said if I"m concerned about/want Lexi to participate in sports then it might be good to hold her. I don't want her to be held back just for sports.

JackDogg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 01/26/03
Posts: 272

If Lexi were a boy, I would probably say that the cut-off date most definitely works to your advantage. That's purely based on physical development, since bigger/older boys can tend to be more socially dominant. As a girl, that is not nearly as big of a deal, though.

I went through a similar consideration with Braden. He is one of the oldest in his class (cutoff date is August 31, and his bday is September 27). He is also very academically advanced for his age. In the end I decided not to push for early enrollment, because I was worried about social maturity, and about him potentially being one of the smallest boys for his age.

That being said, I do not feel that he has been being "held back" in any way. The teachers have been pretty good about differentiation. He reads the hardest books and gets the advanced math homework. While I am pretty sure he could easily be doing work that is also a grade level above where he is at, I don't see it as necessary. We all end up knowing the same stuff in the end, so it doesn't really matter when, as long as the teachers do their part to continue to challenge him.

With Jenna, I am quite worried that she may not be ready for school, since she will be one of the youngest in her class. She just seems so much more babyish to me than I remember Braden seeming at her age. My plan with her is that I am sending her to 3-year-old preschool this year, and we will just see how that goes.

So, that's my $.02 based on my experiences. Lol Good luck with your decision.

AmyJo86268's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 12/08/07
Posts: 1406

I did not read everybody's responce, BUT. . .I have a July birthday and I went to school at 5 years old after 2 years of preschool. Academically (despite my inability to spell) I did well and was ready. I graduated top 10 of my class and went on to do well in college. Socially. . . I probably should've waited a year. I just didn't quite mature at the same time as my other classmates. Maybe I was a later bloomer, or maybe I just behind enough because of my age. Probably both.

EJ being a boy, will definately not go until he's 6 years old.
The daycare I have him in goes to pre-school at age 3 and I plan keeping him there at least until he's 5. Then I may look at a bigger pre-school or maybe not.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 11/01/07
Posts: 650

"1stbabyboy" wrote:

This is exactly what I think and sounds a lot like Drew. We are doing a 3 year old preschool in the fall, just 2 days/week, and I will see how that goes. We have preschools through the county and through churches here and even though he will be one of the youngest, it is fine as long as he will be 3 by the time it starts. I feel like he will be bored if he starts late, but if he doesn't do well in 3 and 4 year old preschool, we will re-visit the issue. Good luck with the decision! I agree that you will know best!

Drew sounds alot like Stephen!!! He was misbehaving so badly in May in the older Toddler room. We were embarrassed!!! LOL He is totally fine now in the preschool room. He did the same thing in the 2 previous rooms. We are guessing he will do it in the next 9 months or so when he wants to move on. The director at our school said that some kids need to be constantly stimulated or challenged, he is one of them. I am sure Lexi will be fine. Every child is so different. If it doesn't work out you can pull her out right? Another benefit of him moving up to the pre school room was that it made him 100% potty trained. He was almost there in the toddler room but when he saw his bigger friends (who he missed after they moved up) pottying all day, he had to do it too Smile I think he has had 2 accidents since he has moved up, one at night one after he exhausted after a day at a water park Smile

MrsRiggert's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/21/07
Posts: 2195

I totally agree that if Lexi were a boy I wouldn't be asking this question, I would definately wait a year to send her. I'm thinking I may just send her to 3 year old pre-school and see how she does. The teacher is worried about her having 3 years of pre-school if she doesn't start kindergarten at age 5. I guess I can just send her and if it doesn't work out pull her out and then we'll know that she needs to wait until she's 6. AHHH...why does this have to be so hard??

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 11/01/07
Posts: 650

"MrsRiggert" wrote:

I totally agree that if Lexi were a boy I wouldn't be asking this question, I would definately wait a year to send her. I'm thinking I may just send her to 3 year old pre-school and see how she does. The teacher is worried about her having 3 years of pre-school if she doesn't start kindergarten at age 5. I guess I can just send her and if it doesn't work out pull her out and then we'll know that she needs to wait until she's 6. AHHH...why does this have to be so hard??

I hear ya! Good luck in your decision!

Kriskj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/22/08
Posts: 150

I started Kindergarten at the age of 4. i turned 5 the first week lol. Sept 5th bday! I dont think i ever lacked academically or socially. I plan on sending Syd when she is 5 and i believe she will do great. I Feel that she is already very advanced for her age and i think she would suffer more from being held back. You could always send Lexi to preschool this year and if you dont think shes ready for kindy when shes 5 she could always do another year of preschool???

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/28/06
Posts: 38

this is a great question and one that i wonder about, too. my boys were born a week BEFORE the cut-off, however, they were a month early, so technically, they would be a month into the cut-off date...

we are, however, starting prek-3 this fall, a week after they turn 3. i know that they will be the youngest, skinniest kids there, but i know that they are ready for preschool. my pediatrician told me that he has never met a parent who regreted holding a child back but has met many parent that regret not waiting a year for kindergarden. he suggested that we have the boys enrolled at 3 and possible repeat pre-k3 again, when they turn 4. this will give my boys a chance to mature more and not be the smallest...and then go on with prek-4 and kindergarden. the boys, at this young age, will not know that they are "repeating" a class.

as a mom, i can see how my boys would benefit an extra year in terms of maturity. however, i worry at times that they will get bored. they know everything that a child knows at this age, except that they know it in 2 languages already. although, english is not their stronger language so i guess the extra year will not hurt?

it's a tough one for sure...especially since girls are typically more mature and ready...if i were in your shoes, i would send her to the pre-k3 program and then evaluate...

confusing and long but hope this helps a little?

1stbabyboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 04/11/08
Posts: 183

"RobinBG" wrote:

Drew sounds alot like Stephen!!! He was misbehaving so badly in May in the older Toddler room. We were embarrassed!!! LOL He is totally fine now in the preschool room.

Ha! This is funny b/c they are so similar- we had the same situation! He was misbehaving at his back-up daycare in the toddler room and when they switched him to preschool room, everything was great! So, even though he is a boy, we are planning on sending him when he is 5 unless he really doesn't seem ready at that time.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 11/01/07
Posts: 650

"1stbabyboy" wrote:

Ha! This is funny b/c they are so similar- we had the same situation! He was misbehaving at his back-up daycare in the toddler room and when they switched him to preschool room, everything was great! So, even though he is a boy, we are planning on sending him when he is 5 unless he really doesn't seem ready at that time.

LOL they sound like long lost twins!!!!

SID081108's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 days ago
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

From the things I read about Lexi, she sounds really mature for her age to me. Also I think she is on the taller side, like Sophia. I am definitely going to send Sophia to Kindergarden at 5 years old, because she basically looks and acts a whole year older than she is...I picture Lexi being the same way from what I know of her.

I started Kindergarten at 5 and skipped 2nd grade, so I was always the youngest. The only disadvantage to me was being the last one to drive in high school! :rolleyes: I actually liked being the youngest Biggrin