Hi everyone. Got back Wednesday night. We had a great time. The weather was sooo perfect! I mean perfect. It was even cool on our last day so we could wear jeans and sweaters to the airport AND still didn't sweat while we spent time in the parks. We had temps in the mid to low 80s otherwise. T-Rex restaurant surprised us all with one of the best meals we had the whole trip! I expected Rain Forest Cafe level of food but our meal was awesome. Jason and Sophia got steak and I got quesadillas. Just great!
I also bought myself too much. Usually I see a couple of things I want and last year I didn't see anything but a blanket. This year it was PJs, another blanket, wind chimes, long sleeve tee. I stopped myself but not soon enough.
Sophia loved the in room celebration that I had them set up. She was so surprised when she got to our door and saw the banner and all the stuff in the room. THey did a great job.
Last night we toured the High School. I was so impressed. It's about a year old. Just beautiful and has all the bells and whistles. I didn't really know all the awards this school has been given either. Shame on me. National awards for high performing school of achievement. They were one of 18 schools nation wide. Last year 94% of the seniors went to college and the other 6% went on the the military. 94%! SAT scores are much higher than the national average and they met the AYP benchmarks for all students! I am now very happy to send her there.
She saw all the clubs too. I wanted her in the National Honor Society for Art but she liked the Visual Art club better and will also do the cooking club. Besides cooking at regular club meetings they cook once a month for a homeless program and the program comes to the school to get the food. They have an awesome kitchen classroom for it too. That will look good on the college apps. I can't believe this is even a discussion. She is a baby. What happened.
So I have today off and John and I are debating what to do. Holiday shopping would be good but I am not sure how I feel about that yet. It;s a kid free day whatever we do.
Wow, Sam, that trip sounds absolutely amazing! So glad you and Sophia got to share it. (Who is Jason?)
Ava did a bit better still at carline drop off this morning. I distracted her with a brand new winter coat right before we went out the door. Hers from last year was miserably small. She cried a bit and fussed a bit as we were pulling up, but got out of the car like a trooper. Breathe. She also slept through the night for a second night in a row.
Big news: I shopped by myself for Christmas supplies yesterday at a Hallmark store. This is really not something I'd do for myself and hasn't happened in about fifteen years, probably. But it was a small bit of therapy for me. I got candles, wrapping papers, Christmas cards, picture frames, a wine bucket, etc. Then I came home and tidied the basement for about 20 minutes. I felt like a new woman. It's the little things, right? ;)
I am so relieved that Ava is doing better. Small steps ML. And ya for mommy shopping time! Jason is Uncle Jason, my brother and Sophia and Luke's BFF. He is the best uncle ever and Sophia asked if we could have him come on the trip. He felt good too. He didn't have too many Crohn's flairups.
Sam - your trip sounds amazing!!!! And YAY for your brother going with you guys! And how oh how did Sophia get old enough to be touring a HIGH SCHOOL?!?!? Sounds amazing though!
ML - YAY for some retail therapy for you!!
I had parent/teacher interviews this morning. I''m in touch regularily with Ry's teacher so no surprises there BUT I was very surprised that Amber is having issues with reading! Ummm why is this the first i'm hearing about it - especially in the french portion. I'm a bit upset that her reports from last year really didn't indicate anything was wrong but she is reading at a much lower level and came into this year doing so. It is what it is but we have tons of work to do!
Sam, how great that your brother could go! :)
Melissa, sorry you go that surprise about Amber's reading. :( I hope you can help her get caught up in French. Keep us posted on hos it goes for you and her.