Ruby Cuties Births, Birth Stories & Mama's Calendar - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Ruby Cuties Births, Birth Stories & Mama's Calendar

  1. #21
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Houston, TX


    Brian Alexander Jeronimo, July 20, 2003

    Beware, this is really, really long. Sorry...

    On Saturday, July 19, I decided to spend the day out shopping with my mom. I thought if I walked around a lot, maybe the baby would be born. I also invoked Murphy's Law by assuring my neighbor that my Dad would be over Sunday morning to fix some drainage problems between our two properties (of course, as soon as you tell someone something will happen, something comes up to stop it).

    Around 10pm that night I started having diarrhea (TMI - sorry). I was feeling lousy, but had been feeling that way for days, so there was nothing unusual there. DH came home from work at 1am and I told him I was going to go downstairs and watch TV in the recliner b/c I was hot and uncomfortable and couldn't sleep. I started watching back-to-back episodes of "Law and Order" on TNT. At around 3am, I started to feel major cramps and they came on fast. They were coming every 5-7 minutes and as the hour passed, they became closer and closer together. After an hour, I woke DH and called my OB who said to head to the hospital. I could barely get dressed b/c at that point the contractions were about 3 minutes apart. DH grabbed my bag and the camera and helped me out to the car. Had to stop about five times on the way to the car (our bedroom's on the 3rd floor). Then DH had to move one of our cars to get to the one we were using (we have one with a broken A/C and it was blocking the good car in).

    DH hauled it to the hospital (about 10 minutes away), all the while telling me not to have the baby in the car b/c the contractions were right on top of one another. He was really sweet, helping me to breathe and making soothing noises/comments. We arrived at the hospital around 4:15am and got to my L&D room around 4:25am after a bathroom break halfway there (I could barely get up from the loo--bad idea!). DH insisted on calling my parents as soon as we got settled in even though I wanted to wait until closer to delivery. He called and woke them up at around 5am!! Then he proceeded to call almost everyone in his family. Can you tell he was a bit excited?

    Unfortunately we arrived when the crazy night nurses were getting ready to leave. The intake nurse was really weird and held up everything! I was asking for an epidural from the minute I came through the doors. It wasn't that I needed one so much at that moment, just that I wanted them to know I wanted one and to get it ASAP. The intake nurse checked me, said I was at 4cm, and then started to ask me tons of questions. When she found out I have a mild latex allergy (rashes, bleeding, but not the anaphylactic shock you really have to worry about), she had to order up the latex-free supplies from the central supply room. Looking back, that seems to be what held everything up. I had to have latex-free gloves, catheter, tape, etc., and it took FOREVER to get that, probably in part due to the time of morning and the day of the week. Until it arrived, I couldn't get the IV which was necessary for the epidural.

    After an hour and a half of answering questions and filling out forms between contractions (they wanted DH to do it, but he doesn't read/write English well enough to do so), the evil nurse finally inserted the IV and then told me I had to wait 20 minutes for the saline to run in before they would even call the anesthesiologist. The nurse took about 15 minutes to get the IV in and running (more time away from my epidural) and then disappeared. At 7am (2.5 hours after we arrived), they had a shift change. The nurse came in and hung ANOTHER bag of saline! I asked when they would call for my epidural and she said I'd have to wait for the next nurse to come on. !!!!EVIL!!!!

    Meanwhile my contractions were still coming irregularly - between 1 and 3 minutes apart and were getting much stronger. DH was resting next to me in a recliner and we had the news on trying to distract me. The pain was pretty overwhelming, so I was basically just breathing and trying to get through. The new nurse finally came in around 7:15am. She was awesome!!! As soon as she came in, I asked if they would puh-leaze call the anesthesiologist already. She went right off and did it. He was in a delivery, so it took another 15 minutes or so, but then he came and inserted it. He was a funny Irish man and I was sooo happy to see him. DH stood in front of me and held my shoulders and the man inserted the IV in around 15 minutes. The nurse stayed to monitor me. Around 8am, they realized that the epidural wasn't working. It had taken the edge off a bit, but I was still really feeling the contractions after a half hour of medication. They called the anesthesiologist and he said he needed to reinsert it. It took a full half hour (really hard to deal with contractions and stay still!) for him to get a new epidural in. He had to puncture me two more times to find the right spot. But I didn't care as long as he found it. He kept apologizing and telling me I was being really calm about it, but I was just happy to finally be getting some relief FOUR HOURS after I got to the hospital. No one ever tells you you may have to wait for your epidural. I just figured that if I was dilated to 4cm, they would give it right away. But between the stupid intake nurse, the wait for the latex-free supplies, and the shift change, it took forever.

    Once the anesthesiologist had reinserted the epidural, I finally got some relief. No more than five minutes later, my parents suprised us by walking in (they weren't originally invited ~ they just decided to show up). Fortunately, they had picked a perfect time because I felt GREAT!!! That epidural kicked in fast and was the best thing ever. I was feeling pretty groovy. My kind, sweet nurse was checking on me regularly and my husband was holding my hand. At that point, I couldn't have been happier and the four hours of mild torture just disappeared from my mind. At around 9:15am, my OB came in. She checked me and said I was between 5-6cm. She had been very seriously considering a c-section b/c I'd had a herpes outbreak earlier that week, but after discussing it with high-risk specialists at Georgetown Hospital, she decided I had been on treatment for enough days and the visible lesions were gone, so I could deliver vaginally. My water still hadn't broken, so she decided to go ahead and rupture me. I thought I would feel that, but I guess the epidural was working well b/c I didn't even feel the wetness.

    After the OB left and said she'd be back to check on me later, I started to feel really itchy from the epidural anesthesia (I have that reaction every time I get anesthesia). I asked the nurse if I could have some Benadryl to help with the itching and she went and got it. Other than the severe itching all over my body, I felt awesome. I couldn't feel the contractions at all and was enjoying chatting with my DH and parents. They kept telling me to sleep so that I'd have energy for labor, but I was totally pumped up. Anyway, at 10am, the nurse injected my IV with Benadryl, which knocks me out. Since I'd been between 5-6cm 45 minutes earlier, I figured it wouldn't matter b/c I had some time left before I delivered. Ha! A half hour later, right when the Benadryl was knocking me to my knees and I was ready for a long nap, my OB came in to check me. "You're 10cm and ready to go!" I had gone from 5 - 10cm in 1.5 hours. Wow. I was not expecting that at all.

    During this time, my parents had stepped out while she checked me. All through my pregnancy, I was convinced I only wanted DH and the medical staff in the room when I delivered, but for some reason I still don't understand, I suddenly decided anyone could come watch (could have been the drugs ) So I sent my DH out to get them and I told them it was fine if they'd like to attend the delivery. They were really surprised and both excited and happy. So my Mom, Dad, and DH were getting to view me in all my glory, but I didn't care. At 10:40am, my wonderful, encouraging, friendly OB was ready for me to push (ironically, she was the only one in the group practice I hadn't met - my appt with her was set for later that week). The nurse, Caroline, came and stood to my right and my DH was on the left. Caroline would tell me when a contraction was coming (although at that point I could feel some pressure, so I knew) and then I would push three times for counts of ten. I was so surprised that I could talk and relax between contractions with no problem.

    I went through about five pushing cycles while my OB gowned up and the neonatologist came in (there was meconium in the amniotic fluid). Then we started the final stages. My OB said I was pushing perfectly and said she was surprised b/c she finds it takes many first-time moms a while to figure out which muscles to use. I continued to push with contractions and it started to burn quite a bit. Little by little, Brian began to arrive. I had requested no episiotomy, but Brian's heart rate took a sudden huge dip and my OB said that she either had to cut me a bit to get him out or he'd be in big trouble. So I told her to go ahead. As soon as she cut, his head came out. Seconds later, the rest of the body emerged and he was here. My mom gasped and said he had bright red hair. After only 45 minutes of pushing, my sweet boy was finally introduced to the world. at 11:19 a.m. They immediately took him across the room to the neonatologist so she could suction the meconium. DH and my Dad went over to watch.

    In the meantime, my OB worked on delivering the placenta, cleaning me and stitching me up. I had the small episiotomy and had also torn high up on the left side (I later noticed that Brian's ear was scabbed on one side, so I wonder if he got caught on something and then I tore? Maybe an instrument or something.) I kept asking how he was doing, but DH and Dad were engrossed in what the neonatologist was doing, so they ignored me. My OB kept telling me I did an awesome job and that she couldn't believe how well I pushed. That made me feel great. She said he appeared to be about 9lbs, so we were all surprised when he only weighed 7lbs, 11.6oz. Between the short birth, the relatively small baby (I was 10lbs, 9oz, DH was 8lbs, 7oz), and the red hair, nothing was as we'd expected it to be!

    Finally, about 15 minutes after his birth, my DH brought Brian over to see me. I cuddled him for a few minutes and then they passed him around. My parents then left DH and I alone to bond with the baby and I asked Caroline if it was okay to breastfeed him (she said it was). DH and I sat there and fell in love with this new creature as he hungrily latched on to my breast for a few minutes. Shortly thereafter, Caroline came back to take the baby to the NICU to be bathed, run tests, etc. DH walked down with her and then came back to hang out with me. Caroline brought me a bagged lunch (best chicken salad sandwich I have ever eaten!) and some juice and I ate and relaxed. I was so happy and couldn't get over how well my labor had gone. Despite the first few hours, I felt like it was fast and so much easier than I had expected. I kept saying, "I can't believe it!"

    DH decided to go home and sleep and come back later. Caroline told me to sleep for an hour or so while she took care of paperwork and got me ready to move to my postpartum room. I called Samantha L. to tell her the details of the birth so she could post on the board (yep, I'm nuts!) and then settled in for a nap. Caroline came back and told me I had to pee, but I couldn't and she had to recatheterize me. Ick. Then she moved me to my new room and got me settled with all the creams, lotions, sprays, pads, underwear, water bottles, etc., to take care of my postpartum needs.

    I thought they were just cleaning up the baby and that he would be back soon, but it took FOREVER!!! About four hours after he was born, they finally brought him to my room. I was so relieved b/c I had started to worry about him. They said he had had meconium in his stomach, but none in his lungs and that he appeared to be fine. For the next few hours, I just lay there and fell in love with my baby. My mom, DH, Dad, and best friend all came and cuddled him. Around 9pm, they left us alone again. I breastfed and the baby fell asleep. At 11pm, they came to take the baby to the nursery to check his vital signs. Little did I know that that would be the beginning of a week of torture. Ten minutes later, the neonatologist came in to say that the baby hadn't transitioned yet and was having breathing problems. They wanted to keep him overnight in the NICU, but I would almost certainly get him back the next day. I was really sad, but then they brought him in to feed before he went to the NICU. We had a beautiful 20 minutes more to bond and then he was gone. I had a restless night and probably got about three hours of sleep (I had a roommate who kept her baby in the room with us and also insisted on keeping the light on all night). They woke me up every three hours to go nurse the baby.

    The next morning when I went in to nurse at about 6:30am, the neonatologist from the night before said that the daytime doctor was going to check on Brian, but that I should probably have him back in my room in a few hours. I was happy and called my husband with the good news. At 10am, the daytime neonatologist came in to break the bad news. She said that she still wasn't happy with Brian's breathing and that she wanted to keep him in the NICU until Wednesday, which would mean he couldn't go home with me. They were going to put in IVs and start him on antibiotics just in case. I cried and cried and cried. I was so worried about him, but also really disappointed that our first days were being ruined. I was also really upset because DH had taken his week's vacation and he was going to miss out on time with the baby. I made arrangements to go nurse as needed and began three days of round-the-clock breastfeeding and no sleep. Brian was covered in monitors and tubes and had a huge breathing mask over his head. It was so scary!!!

    On Tuesday, the neonatologist gave me more bad news. She said that the baby had pneumonia and would have to be on a full week of IV antibiotics. Then when I went in to breastfeed, they had moved him into an incubator. I freaked out, but they said he had been working too hard out in the open-air bed with only a heat lamp above him. They said the incubator would help him regulate his temperature, but it also meant we couldn't touch him except when he breastfed. That was rough. In the meantime, I told DH I wasn't leaving the baby for anything, so we made arrangements to sleep on the couch at the hospital after I was discharged on Tuesday. By Thursday, I was a wreck. I hadn't slept, wasn't eating, was having to pump after every feeding to try to build my supply, and I was so worried about the baby. The lactation consultant finally picked me up into her arms and told me to go home, sleep for six hours straight without waking to pump, and let the nurses supplement the baby with formula. She said I was no good to him in that condition. I wept, but felt secretly relieved that she was giving me permission to take care of myself. My body ached from being up in a chair all day long, I was bleeding and had to go to the lobby to use the bathroom b/c the NICU only had a staff bathroom, and my legs were horribly swollen. I was just miserable. The LC said I should come for a stretch, miss one feeding at which thy could give expressed BM, then come for another stretch, then go sleep for 6 hours and miss 1-2 nighttime feedings. I had really low milk supply due in part to stress and in part to a lack of glandular tissue (genetic problem), so they had to give formula for the nighttime feedings and I pumped at night instead so they'd have milk for his afternoon feeding. We stayed in my parents' guest room (they live 1 mile from the hospital), but I fouund it hard to rest well b/c I was so wound up. The week was really hard, but he finally got into a bassinet and off the oxygen mid-day Friday. He was still on monitors, but he was doing well.

    On Friday night, we had a huge scare. The nurse "accidentally" overdosed our baby!!! He was on two antibiotics - one that was every 12 hours and one every 24 hours. She gave him the 24 hour one at 11pm when she saw 11 on the chart, but they use military time, so 11 meant 11am - 23:00 would have been 11pm. Of course, they didn't tell us. I was breastfeeding him at 6am the next morning and overheard the doctor talking about the Jeronimo baby's overdose. DH and I freaked! What if it had been a med that was lethal in high doses? I don't even want to ponder what could have happened. This med causes liver, kidney, and eye damage, but they monitored his blood levels/ran tests and he appeared to be okay. But he had to endure three additional heel stick blood draws b/c of one nurses's mistake. Thank goodness there were no serious consequences. They suspended the nurse and DH and I sat down with the head doctor to discuss our concerns and felt reassured after our conversation. We took him home Sunday (the neonatologist let him skip his last dose of meds (good thing since he already had that double dose!) and go home mid-day instead of 8pm, as originally planned). It was such a relef to have him home.

    So overall, I felt my labor went great and I would do it again. The week that followed was a nightmare I wish had never happened. But now my son is home and beautiful and perfect. We are so blessed!!
    Meagan (29)
    Mom to Brian Alexander 7/20/03

  2. #22
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2002


    We headed off to the hospital and arrived right about 8:00 a.m. They got me settled in the room and checked me about 8:30 and I was still 3 cm and 75% at that point. At 9:05 a.m. they started me on pitocin and within 2 minutes the contractions had already picked up. Nathan's heartrate was dipping some, so they kept having me switch sides, but the little stinker kept wiggling, so about 10:30 a.m. the doctor decided to break my water and do an internal monitor. Turns out that the other monitor had just been picking up my heartrate for a little while, so he was doing fine. Once they broke my water the contractions got even stronger, but still not awful. I got an epidural at 11:02 a.m. and I was at 4 cm at that point. The epi worked great and I was able to snooze a bit, but not for long. The nurse came in about 12:00 p.m. and I told her the pain was much better, but I was feeling a lot of rectal pressure, so she checked me and I was already at 8 cm. 10 minutes later I was still feeling lots of pressure so she checked again and I was already at 10 c.m. They had me rest up a bit and rotate sides because his heartrate was dipping pretty low after each contraction. My OB came in at 12:25 and I started pushing. 3 contractions later, at 12:48 p.m. Nathan Andrew was born! The nurse said the whole deal, start to finish, was only 3 hours and 43 minutes! I just had to have a very tiny episiotmy which didn't bother me at all. The worst part of recovering has been from my tubal. Thank goodness for pain meds! He's been nursing like a pro, but we've had to supplement after feedings because his glucose was low right after birth. As soon as my milk really comes in then we can stop that. We are just so thrilled that he's finally here!
    Carolyn - 37
    Wife to Chad - 39
    Mom to Tom - 15
    Matt -11
    Nathan - 10

  3. #23
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003

    Default Isaac Wade

    Isaac Wade Biddlecome
    Born July 31st 9:40pm
    7lbs 9oz

    Honestly I thought some of the minor contractions were Baxton Hicks but at.
    Water broke at 8:26 pm July 31st. Called Midwife Sheri and told her water broke, and that contractions were 10 min apart. She said to call back if anything changed. I told her that every time I talk to her something changes, and she said that she better stay by the phone then. I then called my parents and let them know my water broke, and then my neighbor Barbara to tell her that I might not need her to watch Josiah, she said to call if I needed her. She asked what Lloyd was doing, etc and I told her Lloyd didn’t know yet and was sleeping. She said I should probably wake him so he could call into work, I hadn’t thought of it, so I went into wake him. I said, My water just broke in the toliet, we’re having a baby, you need to get up and put the shower curtain on the bed. He said, ok and rolled over. I went to call Sheri back as my contractions were 3 min apart this was about 8:40, she said she was going to go to the bathroom and come on over. I then called Barbara back and asked if she would watch Isabelle (our dog) so that she wouldn’t bark and wake Josiah up (Our 13month old son). She said sure, so with a towel between my legs I took Isabelle outside and Barbara called her up there. I then went into the bedroom and Lloyd had turned out the light and put his earplug back in (that I had taken out), and was snoring. I woke him again and said, you better get up and get on some clothes Sheri is on her way. He said “What?” I said we’re having a baby get up. So he said, I better call Lynn who is the person at work. And he did, then went into the kitchen. I was then in the bathroom starting trying to stay on top of the contractions. I hollered for Lloyd to get the sheet on the bed. He had been in making coffee. I was so annoyed, I thought what is he doing! Anyway he finally go the shower curtain and sheet on the bed, and I went in there for a few min, trying to relax through the contractions. But it soon got too much and I hollered for Lloyd again, he came and I told him to get me up, he said how, I don’t want to hurt you I said Just lift me up. He had been trying to lift me with my hand, not pulling me up but having me help pull myself up. I then went back into the bathroom, and was in transition as contractions were right on top of each other. Lloyd was standing there and tried to be funny I told him to Shut up. He then left the bathroom and Sheri came in and asked where I was, I said I am so glad you’re here, I was very emotional at this point, but trying not to cry etc. She then asked if I was pushing and I had been, she said get off the toilet. And so Lloyd helped get me off and she cleaned up,I got to the edge of the bed before another contraction. I held onto the side of the bed, and she checked me after it stopped but couldn’t tell, she thought part of my body was the head, but it wasn’t so I checked myself, and told her, then I got up on the bed, and she tried but couldn’t tell as the cervix was way to the back. She said I could push and I did on my side for a min. But after that contraction I got up and onto the birthing stool. Sheri had Lloyd get towels, and he went in search of the nasal aspirator but I didn’t know where it was as I use it with Josiah sometimes, for squirting water, as we are potty training. When he went into Josiah’s room to look for it, it woke Josiah. So he brought Josiah into the bedroom where Sheri and I were. We told him the baby was coming he said yeah I know, but he didn’t realize it was right there. The baby was crowning right then. Sheri had me not push as he was coming so I would not tear, it worked great, NOT ONE TEAR! But it burned and was very hard not to push, his head came out after about two contractions of waiting not to push. Then they eased off a bit, and then one came and she said to push so I pushed and out he came. I sat there just holding the baby. I had Lloyd get me the phone and I called my parents and told them to come over. Another contraction came as I was on the phone, so I said ok gotta go by, and handed the phone to Lloyd who was also holding Josiah (we didn’t want him to get into the blood). and I pushed out the placenta. Sheri checked it and me and there was no tearing as far as she could tell. I said I feel like a bath, so She said well I could check you first or you could take a bath and put on a pad and I could check you then. I chose to take a bath first. Lloyd in the meantime had been playing with Josiah, but he did get to cut the cord, though he didn’t get to catch this baby. And he called Barbara to come play with Josiah. After the bath Sheri checked me and said there were NO TEARS!, though I did have one hemorrhoid the size of a grape that and some swelling was it, so I climbed into bed and nursed the baby.

    It wasn’t till August 2nd we decided on the name Isaac Wade Biddlecome.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  4. #24
    Posting Addict Three4MeNHim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Ontario, Canada


    Thought it was about time that I do this. Here it goes......

    June 4, 2003
    I went in for my routine 35 week appointment. My blood pressure was elevated a little too high, so they sent me to the hospital for routine testing.
    Had a NST and Dylan was great. Had an ultrasound and he still looked great at 6lbs 12oz.
    My blood tests were abnormal with high toxic levels and my blood pressure was still high, so I was admitted.

    June 5, 2003
    BP and blood tests were staying the same. I was told that I would have to stay until my baby was born. Basically they were just waiting til I was 37 weeks and then they would induce me.

    June 12, 2003
    BP went higher & toxic levels went higher & I picked up an ear infection.
    They decided to induce me using cervadel (sp?) which brought on LOTS of cramps.

    June 13, 2003
    Cervadel didn't work. The L & D is so busy that I have to wait awhile before trying another form of induction.
    BP & toxic levels are improving.

    June 14, 2003
    I saw a new OB today, and he thinks I should wait to be induced. There was even talk of sending me home. So now I get to wait..........

    June 16, 2003
    BP & toxic levels went back up.
    Talked to yet another OB and she decided that it was my time!! Yeah!! I was taken to L & D at 8:30 pm for another round of cervadel.

    June 17, 2003 ~ Birth Day
    In the morning I was checked and only dialated 1cm and baby was still really high.
    So, they decided to try something else. They put a balloon in my cervix and blew it up. This was so painful and brought on really strong but irregular contractions. They gave me a shot of Nubain to help the pain. It did nothing but make me sick, so for the rest of the day I got to puke 5 times.

    Around dinner time, they decided to give me an epidural. Ouch! I didn't like that much at first, until I started feeling less pain.

    I was monitored all day and there wasn't much progress. Baby wasn't dropping and I wasn't dialating, so at 7pm they decided that I needed a c-section so they took me to the OR to prep me for surgery.

    At 7:59 Dylan Michael was born weighing 7lbs and he was 20-1/2" long. The first thing I heard from DH was It's a Boy and he has lots of hair!!! They wrapped up Dylan and gave him to DH and he brought him over to me and I got to touch his tiny little face. I cried like a baby. It was the best moment of my life.

    I was sent back to recovery and had to stay there for 2 days. My BP went higher as well as everything else. I was on Magnesium Sulphate and couldn't leave my bed.
    Dylan had rapid breathing and was having testing done, so he couldn't leave the nursery.
    I didn't get to hold Dylan until 6am the next morning. I held him for an hour and then he had to go back. It broke my heart.

    The next day I got to go back to my old room. Still without Dylan, but I could go see him.

    He finally came to my room to stay on June 20th. It was great! We went home the following afternoon.

    There's more, as if that wasn't enough, but I think that you get the picture.

    DH - Shaun - May 18, 2002
    DS - Dylan - June 17, 2003
    DD - Dakota - November 3, 2005
    DD - Savannah - September 25, 2007

  5. #25
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    LOST on an Island with Sawyer


    Way late I know.... but I felt I should add mine.

    June 24 and 25- forced myself to go to work even though I was totally exhausted. I slept terribly from the beginning of the pregnancy.

    June 26- I was getting myself and DD ready to leave the house for work and daycare. My mom called 1/2 way through. She noticed I was crying. She told me I should stop work immediately but I told her I would finish out the day since I had a meeting then I would tell them I wouldn't return until my maternity leave was over.
    It was 98 degrees and by the time I got to the daycare providers house I was sick to my stomach. I sat for a minute and rested then decided it was crazy to go to work. I took Sophia to my mom's house and called in sick to work. I did not get the best reception.
    I fed Sophia her breakfast and my brother tried to fix me something but I couldn't eat. He told me to go rest and took over with DD.
    Five minutes later I had a huge contraction, the first of many. They began just like that at 3 minutes apart and took my breath away. My mom called in from work just then. She said she had called my office and was told I called out. I could barely speak. My sister was flipping out.
    I called the midwife. I told her they couldn't be real. I still had 2 weeks left and they came on too quickly. She told me that they appeared real and I was breathing through them so she wanted me to come in. I called DH but he wasn't in his office. The operator did not want to page him at first. She asked me who I was and what my business was. I yelled, "this is his wife and I am in labor". That changed everything. He was there is 15 minutes and I was in the car.
    I needed a wheelchair to get up to L and D. The contractions were 2 mintues apart. The staff didn't even do the regular admission like they did with DD. They sent me to a room. Yup, the contractions were real and HUGE! I got the epidural this time. Boy did it take away the pain and the contractions! I thought they were sending me home but my midwife said since the placenta hadn't looked good on the last test and the the baby's growth was slowing too much they were going to induce the next day anyway. News to me. Pitocin with this delivery again. Not happy! It was 10am when I checked in. I felt great all day then started to feel high contrations around 7pm. By 10pm I was at 10cm and they couldn't stop the pain that was high up. I was so afraid to push. With DD it was at this point I had my vaginal tear and the hemmorhage so I just could not bring myself to push so the midwife told me to do what I was comfortable with. So we waited. I pushed a bit at 10:15 and got more courage. At one point Luke was stuck with his head crowning for 20 minutes while we waited for a contraction. At 11:45pm on June 26th Luke Edward was born. My first question was "does he have Down's?" There were some concerns but I would not get the amnio so we waited for the big day. Nope, he's healthy! 6 pounds 12ounces. 20 inches long. So beautiful and so relaxed even then. During the exam he stopped himself from crying by rolling onto his side and putting his finger in his mouth! My boy!

  6. #26
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2003


    July 8: I was 8 days past due, I started having random, light contractions, and then the power went out all evening! Ed got home from work at 8 and we ate out...fries with cheese and green onions, since I'd eaten healthy through the pregnancy and wanted one last treat.

    That night I had to go to the bathroom repeatedly and the contractions got closer together. We called the doctor when they were 5 minutes apart and arrived at the hospital around 2 a.m. A really nice older gentleman volunteer wheeled me to the room and talked about his own kids.

    I had had a UTI around 6 months, so as a precaution I needed an antibiotic IV in my arm. They hooked me up to a tummy monitor so I could see the strength of the contractions. Ed fell asleep in the chair with a peaceful smile on his face and I slept too, until the contractions woke me up. The doctor seemed surprised that I was doing OK through strong contractions, but I eventually asked for the lightest dose of pain relief possible and they put some in the IV.

    This caused some wacky hallucinations...I distinctly remember seeing a field of grids and flying stop signs...and when Ed asked how I was doing, I briefly saw him wearing a McDonald's uniform! I asked the nurse if it was normal to hallucinate and she said yes. I was lucid enough to know that what I was seeing wasn't there and the stuff wore off quickly enough.

    The doctor broke my waters and soon it was time to push. I could feel Larry still kicking in the birth canal! I got to touch his head as it crowned and see the birth in a large mirror they wheeled in. The pushing was the easiest part and Larry emerged at 11:37 a.m. His first Apgar score was 8, and then 9 since he was a little grayish-blue. He was 8 lbs., 11 oz. I tore a little but didn't need stitches.

    When the nurse put ointment in Larry's eyes while he was in my arms, he pushed her hands away forcibly with his own, then rubbed at his eyes! He was cleaned up in the same room, then in 5 minutes we got him back and he tried to nurse but didn't latch on right away. He got his bath and I took a shower but passed out before the nurse could catch me. No harm was done and we were soon reunited with Larry. He nursed often and when he latched on, he'd clasp his hands to his face, Home Alone-style, and his little eyes would roll back in his head when he began falling asleep. Actually, they still do that!

    We took him home that Friday but had to bring him back Sat. for an overnight jaundice treatment. Sun. he was ours to keep!

    When I give birth to our next child someday, I'll try to do it without pain relief and hopefully I won't need the IV either.
    Ramona Ann 2/06-10/07 - Our Angel In Heaven
    Twin angels 12/04

    I found them in Aisle Ten! Larry, 7, John 3, Ben, 1 (old photo!)

  7. #27
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2002


    Thank you so much for adding Reagan to your list. That was so sweet! I just wanted to add she weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long.

    I guess you can add me on the birthday list for October 4th and my Anniversary is September 4th (DH's name is Randy).

    I really love this board and you ladies are great! It's so great to have friends to speak to about our kids and the other person to actually understand.
    Mom of three girls

  8. #28
    Posting Addict FreelanceMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    In a fog


    Could someone pretty please change DH's and my anniversary date? It is Oct. 9 not the 29th. Thanks!

  9. #29
    Mega Poster Lady Heather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Waukesha Wisconsin


    I just noticed my birthday isn't on there. Its today October 29th. Also Xanders is April 14th. Thank you.
    Married to ..
    Jeremy 7.14.01
    We are parents to ..
    Gwyn 9.30.00
    Josie 7.22.03
    Xander 4.14.06
    Dodger 3.1.97
    Ralphie 12.20.05
    Roxie 12.8.08

  10. #30
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Houston, TX


    Updating admin stuff - can someone please change Brian's birth time to 11:19 AM (not PM)? Thanks. :P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions