Collin's Birth Story

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 120
Collin's Birth Story

Ok, so let me preface my birth story with the fact that with my second child I had contractions that were 10 min apart for about 7 hours, and then they jumped to 3 min apart. I only made it to the hospital 40 minutes before I delivered (I was complete when I got there, and I did not get my needed antibiotics). So I knew that this time, I wanted to get to the hospital in time, and that I would not necessarily progress with contractions that went 10 min apart, 5 min apart, etc.

On July 20th I woke up with what felt like gas pains. I have had BH with all 3 of my pregnancies starting in the beginning of the second trimester, but they are never painful. A little while after I woke up, I had a painful BH. I had back labor with my previous 2 pregnancies (related to having a really bad back/pelvis, not the baby being in the wrong position) and so this contraction was all in my lower back/pelvis. I tried to take it easy, and throughout the day I had irregular contractions that were still easy to talk/walk through.

As the day went on, I begin to wonder if I was actually going into labor. The last time, I had these contractions for a little while the day before I went into actual labor, and they went away, so I was not sure if this was it or not. We did not have anybody to come over at that time to watch our kids because my sister had gone out of town for the day and was not back yet (turns out she could not come back until the next day, but I did not know this at the time), so I decided to drive myself to the hospital just to be checked out and see if this was the real thing so that I could call my in laws to come (they live about an hour and a half away) and so that I could get my antibiotics in time. On the way to the hospital I had 2 contractions, but was able to drive no problem.

When I got to the hospital it was 9pm and I was 3cm, 100% effaced, -2 to -1 station (I had been 1cm, 70%, and -1 at the doctor's office the Friday before), so it was not clear yet if I was in labor yet. My doctor decided to admit me, give me the antibiotics, and monitor me. At first my contractions seemed to space out, but then they picked up again like they had started to at home. At around 11pm, I got my antibiotics, and started to feel stronger more frequent contractions. I wanted to make sure my husband had time to call his parents to come and watch my son and daughter so he could come to the hospital, so I asked my nurse to check me. I was 4cm and the baby had come down more. So at 11:30 I called my husband and told him to call his parents and have them start driving down so that he could come over to the hospital because it seemed that this was the real thing.

While on the phone with him, my contractions started to get even closer together and were about 4-5 min apart. I had gone without pain meds for the birth of my son and was going to try and do it again. For the next hour I labored with strong back contractions and waited for my husband. At about 12:50 I needed to go to the bathroom. While in the bathroom, I had three back to back very painful contractions. I went back to the bed and sat down as I had another one, and my water broke. I immediately knew my husband was going to miss the birth, and I started getting very emotional. It was 12:55 when I called him and spoke to him just long enough to let him know what was going on before I had to hang up. The way I reacted my nurse knew the delivery was going to be quick so she called for help. They got me into the bed and my body immediately started pushing on it's own. There were 4 nurses in the room and the charge nurse said "I guess I get the honors". I could not stop the pushing, but was doing my best to slow it down in hopes my doctor would get there in time. The nurses all had a look on their face that said she was not going to make it in time. Plus you have to remember that I am a post partum/nursery nurse on nights, so these people are my co-workers and know me differently than the average patient, so I could tell they were concerned and felt bad about the situation.

My doctor walked in at about 1:07 am, did not even have time to put on a gown, just gloves and my son was born at 1:10 am. I immediately said "it's a boy" before anyone else even saw (we did not know the sex). He weighed 8 pounds, 0.6 oz and was 20 in long. My husband walked in at 1:22 am. I was so upset that he missed it. So in two hours I went from 4 cm to birth, and 15 min after my water broke I delivered my son. The only reason my husband missed it was because there had been unforeseen traffic in the middle of the night on the freeway and a trip that normally takes about an hour and 20 min in the day, took my in laws an hour and 45 min at night. We only live 10 min from the hospital, and he said he drove it in 7 min.

This was such a crazy experience, and although there was nothing I could have done to change it, it makes me sad that this was the last time I will give birth and I had no one with me besides the nurses, and I have no pictures at the actual time of birth.

Last seen: 4 years 5 days ago
Joined: 03/06/09
Posts: 1054

Wow that was fast. I can understand being upset about the experience. I'm glad things went well, though. :bigarmhug: What a story to tell your little man someday!

rebgrace's picture
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/28/08
Posts: 596

Wow! That is a crazy birth story:eek: I am so sorry that your DH didn't make it, I would be SO upset by that:bigarmhug: At least everything went well otherwise, and you have a healthy boy.
Congratulations again!

Jessica.'s picture
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/02/09
Posts: 424

Sad I would be sad about your DH not being there, but then again nothing you can do to change it. The birth itself sounded good, your son just didn't want to wait anymore to be held by you! Very crazy though!

WonderWomanExtrodinare's picture
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: 05/26/07
Posts: 1192

That was super fast! What a neat story! Sounds like a good birth otherwise. Smile

Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/01/06
Posts: 262

Congratulations! And Wow! Glad you were at least at the hospital and not on the road with your husband.

But it would be hard to not have anyone (besides the nurses,etc) with you at the time of your little guy's birth. That's amazing how quick your body changed when it was ready.

mommys's picture
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 05/08/06
Posts: 6264

I'm so sorry he didn't make it Sad

Congrats on your little guy.

belzy's picture
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/01/10
Posts: 522

crazy story!! Congrats on your little man!

akpufa's picture
Last seen: 3 years 1 week ago
Joined: 01/31/08
Posts: 3078

Crazy story! Sorry your DH didn't make it & that you didn't get to have anyone with you for that special moment, but glad Collin is healthy and doing well. WTTW Collin! :binky: