Cloth diapering, Anyone?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 12/01/05
Posts: 1000
Cloth diapering, Anyone?

I cloth diapered my third baby and plan to cd this one too. I didn't want to pay so much money for diapering my kid. Plus, when my first two were in diapers, we literally put twice the amount of trash out at the curb every week. It was super easy. If it wasn't, I wouldn't do it. I have too many other complications in my life. lol. Also, they didn't stink nearly as bad as disposables. So, anyone else planning to cd or have questions about it? I just got a delivery of a sampler package that has one size and all-in-one diapers. I have never tried AIO's before, so this will be a first for me. They are very cool.

Joined: 06/22/10
Posts: 5602

yes!!! i never did with DS but I want to with this baby. So far i have about 6 diapers, I am trying a bunch out to see what i like best and then selling, and buying more of my favourites. I am only interested in AIO'S or pocket diapers and one size as well. So far I have two AIO bum genius's, 2 baby kangas, 1 happy heiney, and 1 fuzzibunz coming in the mail. I think I might try them out on DS soon once i get enough to prewash. I have been finding them on clearance or sale so none of them have been full price.

morel_baby's picture
Joined: 03/04/07
Posts: 194

I will be cloth diapering again. We did with the first two, and I can't imagine paying for disposable diapers! For two kids I spent around $600 on diapers, and made back around $300 when I sold them, so it is really cost effective!

Joined: 07/04/08
Posts: 209

We use prefolds and covers, so easy! Some of the AIOs are so cute, I am tempted... cloth diapering is great.

Joined: 06/22/10
Posts: 5602

so i guess my main concern is with leaking. I have been doing my research and talking to other CD mama's. some say that when their babies are younger fitted diapers are the only ones that don't leak as a nb i am expecting to probably put disposables on him for a little bit especially if he was as scrawny as ds as birth. I'm just concerned about taking him out somewhere and having leaks. How do you know when a diaper needs to be stripped before it happens. can you know? lol like will it just feel a little wet, or will it be a full on leak and is there someway to test it before you put the diaper on?

elleon17's picture
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

I plan to repeat what I did with DS which was CD from 3 months (are AIOs didn't really fit till then) on for at home and sometimes in public. (not long trips though)

Our daycare doesn't do CD, so disposables are required for that part, but even doing it 50/50 it still saved a bunch of money!

I'll be reusing his for DD (I have around 10-12) and maybe buying one - three more. I used Bum Genius and was very happy with them. I'm open to trying a new brand this time around too.

elleon17's picture
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

"kayes" wrote:

We use prefolds and covers, so easy! Some of the AIOs are so cute, I am tempted... cloth diapering is great.

Any tips? I started with prefolds and covers, but found it difficult. They would leak through or I couldn't put the prefold on right.

Joined: 12/01/05
Posts: 1000

"elleon17" wrote:

Any tips? I started with prefolds and covers, but found it difficult. They would leak through or I couldn't put the prefold on right.

When Thomas was a newborn, all I used was prefolds and wraps. So, so easy. No pins, no clips. I just folded the diaper in thirds width wise and then when he got older folded it length wise. Wraps have a place to tuck the folded diaper into each end to hold it in place. Once the baby is old enough to fit the pocket diapers, the pre-folds can be used as an insert. (Add a hemp doubler for heavy wetting.) For the newborn stage, I think we used Super Whisper Wraps. They had a cut out for the umbilical cord. The down side to SWW is that they do not dry quickly, so you have to have several. With newborns pooping frequently, you may have to change several wraps per day. When he was older, we used Bumkins wraps, and I loved them. They are thin, nylon wraps, so they can be rinsed out in the sink and hung up and are dry by the time you get around to your next diaper change, so if you go with those, you only need 2-3 of each size.

Regarding leaks, I had at least as many leaks if not more from the disposables than I did from the pre-folds.

I personally would not buy fitted diapers for the newborn stage because it only lasts about 3 months, and you go through at least a dozen diapers a day. You'd have to buy like 20 of them. Of course, if you buy them used or sell them afterward, it might not be so bad.

Joined: 12/01/05
Posts: 1000

"janijanis" wrote:

so i guess my main concern is with leaking. I have been doing my research and talking to other CD mama's. some say that when their babies are younger fitted diapers are the only ones that don't leak as a nb i am expecting to probably put disposables on him for a little bit especially if he was as scrawny as ds as birth. I'm just concerned about taking him out somewhere and having leaks. How do you know when a diaper needs to be stripped before it happens. can you know? lol like will it just feel a little wet, or will it be a full on leak and is there someway to test it before you put the diaper on?

I used pre-folds and wraps (no pins or clips, just stuff the wrap and put it on like you would a disposable) with Thomas as a newborn. He was scrawny too. He was only 5 1/2 pounds and very skinny. The one-size (e.g. Bum Genius) did not work at this stage, but the pre-folds and newborn wraps worked perfectly well. I found that disposables leaked at least as much if not more.

Regarding stripping, I think if you get them wet and smell them and they have an odor to them, then they need to be stripped. It would not hurt your diapers to go ahead and strip them anyway just so you know you are getting a fresh start with them. If you want to know if they leak, I would just pour a glass of water on the inside and fold it up as if it were on a baby and feel the outside. I am not sure if stripping will cure a leaky diaper. I've never really had that problem. The only problem I had with leaks was when I bought used pocket diapers and the elastic was stretched out.

Joined: 12/01/05
Posts: 1000

"kayes" wrote:

We use prefolds and covers, so easy! Some of the AIOs are so cute, I am tempted... cloth diapering is great.

I have never used AIO's before. I did have some BG one-size diapers and some pocket diapers. We used them for convenience once he was on solid food, because I hated having to get the poop out of pre-folds, and I could never get liners to work right. Plus, once he started running around, it was harder to keep the prefolds and wraps on. The pocket dipes were so much more convenient. That said, there are some really cute wraps out there, too.

Joined: 12/01/05
Posts: 1000

"janijanis" wrote:

yes!!! i never did with DS but I want to with this baby. So far i have about 6 diapers, I am trying a bunch out to see what i like best and then selling, and buying more of my favourites. I am only interested in AIO'S or pocket diapers and one size as well. So far I have two AIO bum genius's, 2 baby kangas, 1 happy heiney, and 1 fuzzibunz coming in the mail. I think I might try them out on DS soon once i get enough to prewash. I have been finding them on clearance or sale so none of them have been full price.

I saw that Target is selling one-size diapers now too. I was tempted to get some and try them out. I did not get mine on clearance, but I ought to be on the lookout. I got a BG with snaps (only had Velcro last time around), Bumkins, Thirsties, Kushies and FB. There's no way to know which ones I am going to like until I can try them out.

Joined: 12/01/05
Posts: 1000

For anyone interested in learning more, here is a good "beginner's guide" to cloth diapering. It explains the different types of diapers, their pros and cons, how many to buy, etc.

http://weebunz.com/beginners_guide.php

Joined: 12/01/05
Posts: 1000

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't know what will work with your baby until you try it. For instance, when I first started trying pocket diapers on Thomas, I learned very quickly that the fleece-style lining would give him a terrible rash. The suede-style lining did not. That's the main reason why we ended up using BG almost exclusively If I had stocked up on FB, I would have been out a lot of money for something I couldn't use.

Joined: 06/22/10
Posts: 5602

mine are all snaps too. thanks for the link, i will check it out.

Also, from what i have been reading, AIO'S are super convenient, but apparantly take a long time to dry which some people find a PITA

Joined: 12/01/05
Posts: 1000

"janijanis" wrote:

mine are all snaps too. thanks for the link, i will check it out.

Also, from what i have been reading, AIO'S are super convenient, but apparantly take a long time to dry which some people find a PITA

The AIO's nowadays are made so that you can pull the liners out to dry. They are the same as pocket diapers, but the inserts are sewn in on one side. That would make them as easy to dry as a pocket diaper, except that with a pocket diaper you have the option of drying the inserts in the dryer while hanging the diaper to dry. IMO, the AIO is probably not worth it for that reason. Plus, with a pocket diaper you have a lot more control over what you stuff it with. For instance, we went from stuffing our pocket diapers with a prefold to a prefold plus a microfiber insert, to a microfiber insert plus a hemp doubler. And we stuffed night diapers differently than daytime ones. We always pre-stuffed the pocket diapers after we washed them, so they were just as convenient to use as an AIO. (We just had a designated color - white- that was for night diapers.)

Joined: 06/22/10
Posts: 5602

i only have 2 AIO diapers, probably won't get more then that the rest are pockets. how does the stuffing work? I read that hemp and bamboo was the best and most absorbant, but how do you know how many layers to put in? i saw that you can put doublers at night but you need to put a regular insert in as well? AHHHHh!!!! lol. I am an over analyzer if you couldn't tell Wink

Joined: 06/22/10
Posts: 5602

ps totally checking that link out now that i have some time Wink

Joined: 12/01/05
Posts: 1000

"janijanis" wrote:

i only have 2 AIO diapers, probably won't get more then that the rest are pockets. how does the stuffing work? I read that hemp and bamboo was the best and most absorbant, but how do you know how many layers to put in? i saw that you can put doublers at night but you need to put a regular insert in as well? AHHHHh!!!! lol. I am an over analyzer if you couldn't tell Wink

When we first started using the pocket diapers, we used the pre-folds to stuff them. He was pretty little and didn't have super wet diapers. Once he got a little bigger, we used the microfiber insert that came with the diaper and a pre-fold or a microfiber insert along with a hemp doubler. The inserts we used were BG, and the hemp was Swaddlebees. The reason you use both is because the hemp is more absorbent, but the microfiber or cotton is quicker. If you used hemp only, it would leak out before it had a chance to absorb, and if you used cotton or microfiber only, it would be way to thick. For a newborn or small infant, you only need the insert or a pre-fold, because they don't put out a lot of volume at once. HTH.

Joined: 06/22/10
Posts: 5602

"2sonsplus1" wrote:

The reason you use both is because the hemp is more absorbent, but the microfiber or cotton is quicker. If you used hemp only, it would leak out before it had a chance to absorb, and if you used cotton or microfiber only, it would be way to thick. For a newborn or small infant, you only need the insert or a pre-fold, because they don't put out a lot of volume at once. HTH.

thanks! i had no idea that was the reason