Kanen's Birth Story (pic heavy)

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
ababyforus's picture
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/26/08
Posts: 59
Kanen's Birth Story (pic heavy)

Oh my goodess am I ever late typing this up and posting it. My due date was June 24th.
On Saturday, June 11, I walked 5 miles at Relay for Life, hoping that it would help things progress as I was ready to have baby. The week before at my OB appointment I was dialated to a 1. On Tuesday, June 14, my OB checked me and I was dialated to a 3, so the walking must have helped. Smile I asked her if she could strip my membranes and she said that technically she couldn't because I was not 39 weeks pregnant. I said, but its Tuesday and on Friday I will be 39 weeks. So she tried to strip my membranes but said that his head was so far up yet that she couldn't. She said that she wanted to induce on Friday the 17th. So after my appointment I went to my work, which I was still scheduled to work Thursday the 16th, Saturday the 18th, Sunday the 19th, Monday the 20th, and Tuesday the 21st was going to be my last day. Well I told my boss that I was going to be induced on Friday so would not be working the last 4 days that I was scheduled. Then I received a phone call from hospital that they could not induce me that Friday because they could only induce 3 patients per day and they were booked. I was pissed because I could have worked the rest of the time I had scheduled, if there was no baby yet.

Wednesday the 15th I started having contractions at 8:30p.m. that were 4 minutes apart.
Although they weren't painful I thought that I better get to the hospital ASAP as I progressed very quickly with DD. At the time, DH was on a medical call (he's an EMT). I got a hold of a friend of mine and asked if I could drop DD off as I was going to the hospital. She couldn't believe I was driving myself in, but still contractions weren't painful. I get to the hospital at about 9:40p.m. It was so annoying.... it took them 10 minutes to register me at the registration desk on the delivery floor. (mind you I was already registered from previous visit) So I'm sitting there, in a wheelchair, with my hospital bag and my sons bag on my lap. After 10 minutes of sitting there, annoyed as hell, they ask me, so why are
you here. I said very rudely, "I AM HAVING CONTRACTIONS AND I WOULD LIKE A ROOM". why the hell do you think I am here...geez, isn't it obvious. After another 5 minutes they bring me to the triage room and check me, I am at 3cm and contractions 3-4 minutes apart. DH arrives at the hospital at about 10:35. I was really worried that they were going to send me home since I was at a 3. We walked the floors for a while to hopefully get things moving.

At 1:00a.m. on the 16th my OB came in to check me. Contractions were more frequent and
getting painful and I was at 4cm. My OB stripped my membranes and made me 5cm I guess you could say. At this time they told me I was being admitted and moved me to the delivery room. At about 3:00a.m. they gave me my epidural and the OB said to get some sleep and if I haven't progressed by morning they would break my water. Right after my epidural my BP was 60/40 and I was going to throw up. They gave me nausea meds through IV which helped. Between 3:00 and 5:00 I was sweating and was itching like crazy. They gave me something for itching that didn't help so then gave me benadryl which knocked me out in which I slept until 7:30a.m. They then broke my water. DH went home at about 10:30a.m. to let the dogs out. He was gone not even a half hour and they checked me again. I was 8 cm dialated and at 100%. I texted him "911, you need to get back here now" which he did within 15 minutes because he drove 90mph. Epidural wore off at about 11:00a.m. and OMG was I in pain.I cried for about 30min straight from serious pain. It was like a constant contraction for 30 minutes. They topped off my epidural which helped slightly but not really. OB asked me when the last time I went to the bathroom. I told her at 9a.m. they helped me to the bathroom. They put a cathider in to empty my bladder and OMG, no wonder why I was in so much pain. Talk about A LOT of urine. The doctor was even shocked. After 4 or 5 pushes, Kanen Blake was born, at 12:37p.m. weighing in at 8 pounds 4 ounces, 20 1/2 inches long. I was rather upset because there were so many people in the room during delivery. My husband, OB, nurse, 2 residents, 2 "baby catchers" or whatever they call themselves. There were going to be 2 students in there but I told them I didn't want all these people in there so they only kicked the 2 students out. Still way too many people standing there starring at my crotch while I am pushing baby out. Was not like that all all with DD in 2009. It was just DH, OB and nurse. Everyone was shocked as the embilical cord was in a tight knot. They have NEVER seen a knot this tight before and said that when they see knots in embilical cord they deliver a still born. Am I ever thankful that he was born 8 days early and that he is alive. We did not leave the hospital until the Saturday after delivery because Kanen's temperature was 97 and his blood sugar was very low. He was out of my room a lot because they were trying to get his temperature up. I kept spiking a fever. When we left the hospital he weighed 7 pounds 15 ounces. He is such a good baby! He sleeps a lot!!! Since he
has been born he has only been awake one hour a day at the most. The only time he cries is when he is hungry. Very different from DD as she cried a lot when she was a newborn.

The Friday before he was born:

Just born:

Just after being weighed and measured:

DD meeting her brother right before I got moved to PP room:

Hooked up to IV for antibiotic due to low temperature (possible infection):

Crying... diaper changed, fed.... "mommy, rock me like u did when I was in your belly - when you were walking around all the time at work"

Hospital picture:

Minutes after getting home from hospital:

At home in musical/vibrating seat:

When your the best of friends:

lilmonster's picture
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 02/06/10
Posts: 504

Wow - that's quite the story - I'm so glad you were earlier than planned and the knot in the cord didn't end up causing problems - that's scary!! Your pics are great - love the ones of him with big sis! Congratulations again Smile