On Tuesday I felt the baby turn from head down to head up. I didn't say anything to anyone because I was hoping I was wrong, I didn't even tell my DH.
I saw my midwife (Hannah) today and we determined the baby was high and head up. I am only a fingertip dilated and not very effaced.
We got me in for an emergency ultrasound and determined two things:
1. the baby is breech. His legs are folded up underneath him, like Indian Style sitting.
2. the baby is very healthy. They did an NST, and he is an 8 out of 8.
Complicating issue: I ovulated very late the cycle I got pregnant, at least a week. So Hannah and I have based my due date on when I ovulated, putting me due at June 7. However, based on my LMP, my due date would be May 30. It's totally wrong, but most OBGYNs aren't going to see it that way. I am 100% sure of my due date, but finding someone who will trust my charts is another thing. Because of this, and because of the political nature of the homebirth issue, we (my midwife and our family) need to be careful to be seemingly diligent about seeking help at this stage, and not just putting things off and waiting. Especially as there is a very public case going on in this area right now involving a homebirth breech delivery that resulted in the baby's death. There is also a legitimate medical concern. Since he is high and breech, if my water were to break spontaneously (which happened with my DD) we could have a cord prolapse which is a very serious medical emergency.
So here's what's going on now: If the baby had been breech before this, there is a good Dr. in this area who does external versions to try to turn the baby who would have been willing to work with us most likely. Not the case with the timing we have now. My only options in this area right now are to go into the ER and have an emergency c/s. However, there is an OB in the next state (about 2.5 hours away) who is willing to work with us. We are going in to see him at 9:15 tomorrow am, but since he is fitting us in between other appts, we may be there for awhile before we see him. So DH and I are quickly getting ready to leave and go stay in a hotel down there tonight.
These are the possibilities:
1. The baby turns on his own before my appt tomorrow and we come home and proceed as previously planned.
2. The OB attempts an external version, and it is successful. The baby handles it well, and we are released to come home and proceed as previously planned.
3. The external version doesn't work, or the baby doesn't handle it well and I need an emergency c/s tomorrow in NC.
4. The external version doesn't work, but the baby is in a good breech position to attempt a vaginal delivery. This OB does vaginal breech deliveries! So he'd probably induce and we'd have a trial of labor.
4. The external version doesn't work, and a vaginal breech delivery is not a good idea based on the baby's position or other factors, so the OB releases us to come home, at which point we'd go to the ER here for a c/s.
5. The external version doesn't work, and a vaginal breech delivery is not a good idea based on the baby's position or other factors, so we stay in the next state and have a c/s there.
This is all very sudden and unexpected and we're in a rush to get things accomplished and packed and get out on the road. DD is going to stay with DH's parents.
Misty, I am taking your info with me so we can update everyone.
I am not sure where I am about this emotionally right now, I can only think about the next thing, which for the moment is packing and getting a shower. I'd appreciate prayers! I will make sure we update you all as soon as we are able.