Do's & Don'ts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do's & Don'ts

  1. #11
    Posting Addict akpufa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    I don't have a problem skipping coffee because about a month in until after the birth, coffee repulses me. It's so weird because I love it so much normally. I try to avoid artificial sweetener, esp in the first tri. I ate a ton of Quiznos subs when I was pregnant with my DS because it was the only thing that sounded good but since they heat it, I figured it was fine. My OB said he doesn't really stress the deli meat thing..just as likely you'll get random food poisoning from other things too. But that's just his opinion. I've never stopped eating peanut butter but we have ZERO nut allergies in our family.

    I dyed my hair with both pregnancies, just didn't in the first tri and then told my hair lady who made sure to keep it off my scalp. With my first, I dyed it darker and with my 2nd I was lightening it significantly. The smell of the dye made me nauseous though so I would space them out as long as I could stand.
    Ashley
    DH since 2006 DD Aug '09 DS1 July '11 DS2 June '13

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  2. #12
    Mega Poster Clarkton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,375

    Default

    Ashley, I'm the same with coffee. Love it normally but can't drink it from early in on in pregnancy, if it's not making me nauseous then it's causing the most horrible heartburn so I am not tempted.
    ~Lynn
    DH - Ken, married 8/12/00
    DS1 - 7/31/08, DS2 - 2/3/11, DD1 - 6/21/13
    Loss @ 11.5 weeks 2/23/10, Loss 8/14/12

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  3. #13
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9,015

    Default

    I couldn't drink it (diet coke) for the first 12 weeks or so, then I resumed but kept it to 1-2 cans a day. Right now I drink the equivalent of about 4 cans and I want to cut that down anyway.

    Whitney and Tom June 7, 2008
    DS Gavin Thomas March 3, 2010
    Expecting #2 June 13, 2013

    pregnancy calendar

  4. #14
    Mega Poster PatienceW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FourMaybeMore View Post
    I limit canned tuna as well in addition to the above list and stay away from soft cheese (basically anything not pasteurized, right?) I also heard to limit peanuts/peanut butter to avoid allergies in the baby, but I ate it by the spoonful and both my kids have no allergies so I don't know about that one...

    I stay away from alcohol completely except I had a couple sips of Guinness in the 3rd trimester as an old wives tale :P
    I had never heard abotu limiting peanuts/peanut butter.... I def didnt becaue it was one of the only thigns I craved and would stay down..... I often wonder if that is why my son now has peanut allergies?

  5. #15
    Mega Poster PatienceW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Momma Leah View Post
    I couldn't stay away from deli meat when I was pregnant with my previous two, I didn't have any trouble. I am going to try to stay away from it this time. I never had a caffiene problem, but if I can have one cup of coffee a day I will do ok!
    I couldnt either! Between that and peanut butter it was all I craved and could keep down. and the thought of heating it up made me sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by bellablu81 View Post
    Deli meat can be scary. There have been several listeria outbreaks the last couple years and there is no way to know if you or the baby contracts it. Until they are born, and either get really sick, or in some cases pass away. Not trying to be alarmist. It's just one of the quickest things people don't worry about, but could be the deadliest. As a PP said just heat it to steaming and then let it cool off or eat hot!

    Also ceviche or anything "cooked" with only citric acid is a no-no. In the US most cheeses (brie etc) are fine because they are pasteurized.

    Some tuna ok, just not in high quantities, due to mercury. Last time I had no soda or coffee, but regretted that when I was nursing and my daughter had never had any exposure to caffeine. THis time I'll allow a little just so it's not a shock if I want a cup of coffee while I'm nursing.
    I worried about the lunch meat at first but then it did not worry me as much when we had an outbreak of listeria caused by fruit. (they certainly didn't tell preg women to not eat fruit!)

  6. #16
    Posting Addict Heatherbella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    14,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Momma Leah View Post
    I couldn't stay away from deli meat when I was pregnant with my previous two, I didn't have any trouble. !
    The problem with the deli meat is it's a gamble every time. You never know which time you'll get listeria. The more you eat it, the greater your chance. Like the others said my midwife just said to heat it to steaming to kill anything. She said you could bring it home from the store, steam it all, then put it in the fridge in a new container and cool it. Then you can eat it whenever you want. From what I understand the main issue with lunch meat is the way it is cut. If the blade isn't cleaned right the bacteria spreads with every cut.

    Quote Originally Posted by whitney1 View Post
    I did cut way back on diet soda when I was pregnant.
    Yes, I think diet anything isn't great when pregnant. SO many chemicals in anything 'diet'. You also need the calories!

    Quote Originally Posted by whitney1 View Post
    Oh and I also ate a TON of peanut butter while pregnant and my son loves it as well, no allergies
    I ate a PB&J waffle before bed most nights when PG with DD. No allergies for her either. I think a lot of the allergies thing also has to do with genetic pre-disposition and family history.

    Quote Originally Posted by akpufa View Post
    I don't have a problem skipping coffee because about a month in until after the birth, coffee repulses me.
    That was the most tragic part of pregancy for me. Hating coffee. I normally LOVE coffee so that really pained me.

    Quote Originally Posted by akpufa View Post
    I ate a ton of Quiznos subs when I was pregnant with my DS because it was the only thing that sounded good but since they heat it, I figured it was fine.
    Good call on the Quiznos! You can also have subs heated at Subway so you could ask them to microwave the meat for you first to kill anything. I'm always the ultra paranoid pg lady asking for such things.

    Quote Originally Posted by akpufa View Post
    I dyed my hair with both pregnancies, just didn't in the first tri and then told my hair lady who made sure to keep it off my scalp. With my first, I dyed it darker and with my 2nd I was lightening it significantly. The smell of the dye made me nauseous though so I would space them out as long as I could stand.
    LMAO, the day AFTER my BFP with dd (13 dpo) I had DH dye my hair outside. Before the placenta really grows I'm pretty sure baby is getting nothing from your body yet. That's what I told myself anyways. DD seems sort-of normal. HA HA. Well, for a 2.5 year old. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by PatienceW View Post
    I had never heard abotu limiting peanuts/peanut butter.... I def didnt becaue it was one of the only thigns I craved and would stay down..... I often wonder if that is why my son now has peanut allergies?
    Don't you have a family history of allergies, Patience?
    Heather, 37

    Kennedy - b. 01.26.10 after 15 cycles of TTC
    Marshall - b. 06.17.13 after 3 cycles of TTC



  7. #17
    Mega Poster PatienceW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heatherbella View Post


    Don't you have a family history of allergies, Patience?
    only with bees (though apparently that's not accurate anymore either) my family has absolutely no nut allergies that I know of, and DH's only has his nephew (who has tons of other food allergies too that no one in the famly has)

  8. #18
    Posting Addict Heatherbella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    14,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatienceW View Post
    only with bees (though apparently that's not accurate anymore either) my family has absolutely no nut allergies that I know of, and DH's only has his nephew (who has tons of other food allergies too that no one in the famly has)
    Wow, very odd. I hope he grows out of it!
    Heather, 37

    Kennedy - b. 01.26.10 after 15 cycles of TTC
    Marshall - b. 06.17.13 after 3 cycles of TTC



  9. #19
    Posting Addict akpufa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heatherbella View Post
    LMAO, the day AFTER my BFP with dd (13 dpo) I had DH dye my hair outside. Before the placenta really grows I'm pretty sure baby is getting nothing from your body yet. That's what I told myself anyways. DD seems sort-of normal. HA HA. Well, for a 2.5 year old. :P
    Wow you are brave. I would never, ever, EVER let my DH near my hair!
    Ashley
    DH since 2006 DD Aug '09 DS1 July '11 DS2 June '13

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions