QOTD 4/15

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
akpufa's picture
Joined: 01/31/08
Posts: 3078
QOTD 4/15

Happy Tax Day (to those in the US anyway)...
Do you do your own taxes or do you pay to have them done for you?

sandraleigh's picture
Joined: 11/23/06
Posts: 2672

My DH is an accountant with a specialty in tax. Enough said Smile

akpufa's picture
Joined: 01/31/08
Posts: 3078

DH does ours (luckily because I don't want anything to do with them!)

Joined: 10/12/04
Posts: 961

My bachelors degree is in accounting. As a stay at home mom, doing our taxes is one of the few times I get to break out my skills and actually use them!

Clarkton's picture
Joined: 01/07/08
Posts: 1972

Usually my DH does ours with Turbo Tax or some at home program like that. However, this year I'm having someone do them b/c my nanny from last year brought me some forms to fill out when she was trying to file her taxes. It wasn't even something that had crossed my mind but turns out I am, in the eyes of the IRS, an employer. Apparently I should have been filing quarterlies and junk like that so went to a CPA in the same office complex as my office and they are handling it all for me.

MJDttc's picture
Joined: 08/12/12
Posts: 1118

We took ours to a CPA this year.

Momma Leah's picture
Joined: 05/13/12
Posts: 1047

"Clarkton" wrote:

Usually my DH does ours with Turbo Tax or some at home program like that. However, this year I'm having someone do them b/c my nanny from last year brought me some forms to fill out when she was trying to file her taxes. It wasn't even something that had crossed my mind but turns out I am, in the eyes of the IRS, an employer. Apparently I should have been filing quarterlies and junk like that so went to a CPA in the same office complex as my office and they are handling it all for me.

I was a nanny for a few years. When I did that to her she wasn't exactly thrilled with me!

My DH is self employed and our taxes are very complicated, so we take ours to a CPA.

elleon17's picture
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

I have always done them and did them this year. Next year, I will have someone else do them becuase I think I am missing out on some deductions we could be taking.

Heatherbella's picture
Joined: 02/14/05
Posts: 4169

Our tax day isn't for a couple weeks, but hubby and have done ours already. We both use Turbo Tax online too. So easy and cheap. I got my refund today and it went straight onto my credit card debt to pay for our trip. w00t!

Clarkton's picture
Joined: 01/07/08
Posts: 1972

"Momma Leah" wrote:

I was a nanny for a few years. When I did that to her she wasn't exactly thrilled with me!

My DH is self employed and our taxes are very complicated, so we take ours to a CPA.

Sorry your employer was rude about it. I just honestly didn't think about it. She earned almost 6 grand last year so understandably it should not be "under the table" and if I don't file my taxes correctly and report it she doesn't have the info she needs to file hers. So once it came to my attention I understood the need to get it straightened out but it is a bit of pain. Not her fault, taxes just tend to be that way Wink

elleon17's picture
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

"Clarkton" wrote:

Sorry your employer was rude about it. I just honestly didn't think about it. She earned almost 6 grand last year so understandably it should not be "under the table" and if I don't file my taxes correctly and report it she doesn't have the info she needs to file hers. So once it came to my attention I understood the need to get it straightened out but it is a bit of pain. Not her fault, taxes just tend to be that way Wink

Not to be nosey, but do you employ a nanny full-time?

Clarkton's picture
Joined: 01/07/08
Posts: 1972

"elleon17" wrote:

Not to be nosey, but do you employ a nanny full-time?

Don't worry about being nosey...I don't mind sharing. Smile No, not full time. Usually is about 15ish hours a week. DH works an early shift getting home usually around 11 ~ 11:30 and I work roughly 8 to 5. So, we have someone come from when I leave until DH gets home. For the hours we need it's less to have someone come stay with them than take them to daycare.

elleon17's picture
Joined: 01/26/09
Posts: 1981

Lynn - that's great! I ask because we will have two in daycare next year and I'm just exploring some options. Slight problem is the fact that DS will be entering pre-kindergarten and I don't want him to miss out on that.

So torn as to what to do. We have the baby signed up as of right now where DS goes to daycare/school, but I'm weighing out some other options too.

quonsetmom's picture
Joined: 10/10/12
Posts: 1559

My father or i used to do mine, but now that im married, the farm sends them to a CPA. This year we did have to pay for it, $110! I dont know if I will pay next year... tho we need all the refund we can get so maybe we will.

Momma Leah's picture
Joined: 05/13/12
Posts: 1047

"quonsetmom" wrote:

My father or i used to do mine, but now that im married, the farm sends them to a CPA. This year we did have to pay for it, $110! I dont know if I will pay next year... tho we need all the refund we can get so maybe we will.

We farm too and I wish ours were that cheap! They kinda got on DH's nerves this year, so we may be changing next year.

quonsetmom's picture
Joined: 10/10/12
Posts: 1559

"Momma Leah" wrote:

We farm too and I wish ours were that cheap! They kinda got on DH's nerves this year, so we may be changing next year.

thats just for dh and i, his parents are separate, and then the farm. So its probably 300 or more for all of us.

Momma Leah's picture
Joined: 05/13/12
Posts: 1047

"quonsetmom" wrote:

thats just for dh and i, his parents are separate, and then the farm. So its probably 300 or more for all of us.

It was close to that for just us! I hate paying for it, but I would also hate to do it myself!

quonsetmom's picture
Joined: 10/10/12
Posts: 1559

me too