So it sounds like baby's head is in my left hip...how easy is it for them to move from that position to head down. My DD was a c-section because she was breech so I'm a wee bit freaked. :P Logically I know it's early but.....
I know if baby is breech they will schedule a repeat c-section but if the head is in the hip will they just wait it out. If the head isn't ON the cervix by when labour starts can they still right themselves?
I really want to try for a vbac!
Maybe start the spinning babies regimen? It doesn't sound like it's too far hopefully he/she will decide to go down instead of up. Would they try doing version to turn the baby if it got closer and he/she still hasn't moved or would they just schedule the c-section?
I'm not sure what they will do because you are hoping for VBAC......where they "draw the line"...
DS2 was nearly transverse during labour and birth. When I was being induced, they could barely even see the corner of his head in my cervix, and his whole body was sideways, all hanging in the left side of my belly. Even as he was crowning (eventually......LOL), his body was still shoved over in the left side of my belly, hanging off to the side. It was ridiculous!
Maybe take a look at the spinning babies website and see what you can do in the meantime!
My friend who just had a baby - her baby was breech at 37 weeks. She spent a day hanging out in a pool ALL DAY, and the baby flipped. Anyway, there are some things that can be done and you have PLENTY of time still. Maybe look into a chiro who specializes in this sort of thing? If you spine is out of line that can definitely cause a baby to be breech.
I agree it's still too early and babe has lots of time to flip. I've heard of many flipping at 36-37 weeks. It is much easier knowing they are already head down, a little weight lifted off the shoulders - but there are many techniques and lots you can still do. I would ask your midwife what techniques they have, and then google some of your own to help babe out. Also, I know how badly you want a VBAC, but sometimes we have to let go of an outcome a little bit, and just trust that the baby will do the right thing to come out in the best way. I definitely want you to have a VBAC, but the more you worry about your baby being breech, the more likely s/he will stay that way. My midwife doesn't actually deliver breech babies, but she said if that was the case she would get me in with a doctor who does do vaginal deliveries of breech.
I just checked my pregnancy diary and I was 34w5d when we had an u/s to confirm DD was breech. After that I did a lot of inversions, time in the hot tub (instead of a pool) and when to chiro. My fluid was measuring low so I wasn't a good candidate for a manual version. Also, she was Frank Breech so her toes were at her nose. Even if she WERE head down the toes at the nose thing probably would have been a problem. Anyways, nothing I did made her turn and she was taken by c-section 10 days before my due date.
This pregnancy I've been going to chiro for months already so that's good. If that's going to help with anything it's better to be going longer.
As for how long they'll let me 'go'. I'm not really sure. I have a midwife (in Canada a midwife is instead of an OB, not a nurse/midwife like you sometime see in the US) and midwives are very good at giving you ever possible chance to have a vaginal birth. I'm sure she won't be quick to push me to a repeat c-section but she did indicate that if baby is breech they will schedule one at some point. Sigh.
So Sandra...you went into labour ok with baby not putting direct pressure on the cervix then? How did he eventually come out? Did they have to help him or did you just switch positions and he slid into place? Oh wait, I see you were induced. Hummmm...that might be a problem as they will only do so many induction techniques for a vbac.
I REALLY don't want to go through all that spinning babies cr@p again. SIGH! Why can't my kids know the way OUT?!?!?!
I know that there is a huge chance I'll have a c-section no matter what happens...I just wish I could TRY to be normal. LOL
I wouldn't say there is a huge chance that you will have a repeat c-section. Honestly, people who have a had a previous c-section due to a breech baby usually have the highest success rates with going for a vaginal birth!
Yes, he was 11 days late and we had to kick him out I'm sure they don't like to induce when you are hoping for VBAC. He was stubborn but eventually moved down into the birth canal. Even though his whole body was still sideways LOL!
From what I understand they won't give you oxytocin if you're a vbac. Something like that. There are other methods though like the bulb thingy...but you already have to be a bit dilated for that.
Sandra> I'm glad to hear he moved down and came out!
I'm just reading an Ina May Gaskin book on natural births but next up is a vbac book a friend loaned me. I need to get reading or I'm going to run out of time! I'm not a reader so I'm slow. :P