I got an email from a co-worker who wants to know if she should book us for our conference in Las Vegas in May. It's a 2 day conference and I turn 35 weeks the last day of conference. I would book us to fly back the next morning...35w1d. The airlines say I need a letter from my midwife if I'm over 36 weeks, so that's not a big deal. Last I checked my health insurance runs out the day I turn 35w. What to do?
My last pregnancy was boring at 35 weeks. DD was breech and I never had a contraction or anything. She was born 10 days early by planned c-section.
Part of me wants to book it with re-fundable airfare 'just in case' but...ugh. I hate these decisions.
GL deciding! I talked with my OB's office and they cleared me to go to Mexico up until 32 weeks, especially with my history of not going into labor...uh, ever. 35 weeks...hmm, I mean, if something did happen they'd have adequate health care and what not but if your insurance isn't going to be valid any longer half the trip that makes it a tougher decision.
The wording in my Extended Health pamphlet says:
So by the sounds of that I would be covered until the last day of the conference if we go by my LMP date...or till 2 days after the conference if we go by ultrasound dates.No benefits are paid for expenses related to pregnancy or delivery, including infant care:
- after the 34th week of pregnancy, or
- at any time during the pregnancy if the patient's medical history indicates a higher than normal risk of an early delivery or complication.
I flew/traveled at 35-36 weeks with my DD. Granted it wasn't out of country, just to Toronto. I got a note from my Dr. just to be safe.
I think personally I would go, but I always have really boring, normal pregnancies with no early contractions or anything out of the ordinary. Good luck!
Tell your midwife to make your official due date according to your u/s (which they probably are doing anyway) and then you're covered. Then go!
We're planning a trip (within province) at 37 weeks - I was going to fly, but the hassle of getting a doctor's note within 24 hours on each end is going to be tough since it's victoria day weekend and the clinics where we're going would be closed - pita! Anyway, total travel time flying would probably be 5-6 hours (stopover, getting to airport etc) and then we'd have to rent a car, worry about a car seat etc. So I think our plan is to drive - it's about 9-10 hours. I'm not sure I can imagine wanting to be in a car that long at 37 weeks though - so that's a bit nerve wracking. But it's my best friend's wedding, so I REALLY want to go!