We saw the doctor today. Thank goodness she does not think it is our cat.
She thinks because the hives and rash have only popped up in the summer that is may be an environmental allergen but it is definately an allergy.
Because of Hayleigh's age, she is going to try and get us a rush appointment to see an allergist. She gave us a list of the top allergens and asked us to start eliminating on a week by week basis until we see the allergist.
She did talk about laoding (when the allergy symptoms get worse with each additional exposure). she said to have no tolerance for it. If we see another rash (hives we just have to watch for now) to give her bendryl and take her to the children's hospital.
We were also told to watch for resipiratory symptoms but also gastrointestinal symptoms (I was not aware these could indicate allergy) because it can mean anaphylatic reaction.
Kind of scary but I am glad they are doing something even if it turns out to be nothing. She hasn't had any other symptoms except for her usual hives on her face since Thursday though.
Over the last few weeks Hayleigh has developed hives on her face at night and sometimes during the day. At first I thought it was sunscreen and found that Aveeno didn't give her the rashes during the day. She still developed hives at night - I still wasn't concerned (thinking it was a sun senstivity because she got them worse on the days she was in the sun).
Yesterday all day, she had 4 hives on her face but no other rashes. Late in the morning she told me her mouth hurt but I couldn't see anything wrong.
At dinner, she developed a solid red rash around her mouth and hives down her right arm. She also told me her mouth was hurting again. I made sure there was no tongue swelling and she was still talking and acting like herself. The rash also went away within half an hour.
She had nothing new for dinner or during the day. We do have a cat.
Does anyone have any idea why this would have flared up like that? I made an appointment to see our doctor but it scared me because of how fast it came on. Could she have sunddenly developed an allergy to our cat or a food she eats on a regular basis?