sinus infection?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
PeppermintPatty's picture
Joined: 08/21/07
Posts: 426
sinus infection?

Has anyone ever had their little one's cold turn into a sinus infection? Moriah has had yellow/green snot now for 9 days. I thought she was getting better, but then she got worse again.

I am really wondering if it is turning into a sinus infection. She doesn't know how to blow out the "junk" and trying to use a nasal syringe is near impossible. She also has yellow discharge in both eyes too. I don't know if that is a connection or not.

Do I take her to the doctor and convince them on giving me an antibiotic??

Every single doctor I take her to tells me the same exact thing. It is a virus. Let it run its course. There is nothing we can do. SOOOOOOO frustrating!!

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

Know what I think? I think it sounds exactly like Ben before he had his adenoids out. Constant, thick, nasty-coloured boogers, NON STOP!!! Our doctor always said "It's a virus. It's daycare runny nose" blah blah blah, except it started long before daycare and she never had a response for that. I think you should get referred to a pediatric ENT. We were constantly doing saline spray, syringing, using Nasonex and Aerius, to absolutely no avail. His ears were constantly infected too from all the congestion.

Does Moriah snore, especially when she's sick? Does she get ear infections? How does she sleep? Is she gaining weight?

If you can get her to a pedi ENT they can look up her nose with a small camera and see right away if her adenoids are a problem. It literally takes about 15 seconds. Ben always had sinus congestion and probably infections because his adenoids were so big the mucous couldn't drain out very well.

PeppermintPatty's picture
Joined: 08/21/07
Posts: 426

Hey Lisa! Moriah had tubes put in her ears at 11 months because she would get 1-2 ear infections per month, especially when she got a cold or any kind of congestion. The tubes did help with that issue but she is constantly congested and has a runny nose all the time.

She does snore at night and definitely sleeps loudly (especially when sick). She is gaining weight ever so slowly and is a petite little thing to begin with. I figure it is because she is so picky with what she eats.

Wow, Ben's issues sound similar to Moriah's. I don't care for the ENT who did her procedure. He is not good with kids and tends to just prescribe allergy meds every time I take her in to see him.

I will do some research and find an ENT who works with kiddos.

Did Ben get tonsils and adenoids out?

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"PeppermintPatty" wrote:

Hey Lisa! Moriah had tubes put in her ears at 11 months because she would get 1-2 ear infections per month, especially when she got a cold or any kind of congestion. The tubes did help with that issue but she is constantly congested and has a runny nose all the time.

She does snore at night and definitely sleeps loudly (especially when sick). She is gaining weight ever so slowly and is a petite little thing to begin with. I figure it is because she is so picky with what she eats.

Wow, Ben's issues sound similar to Moriah's. I don't care for the ENT who did her procedure. He is not good with kids and tends to just prescribe allergy meds every time I take her in to see him.

I will do some research and find an ENT who works with kiddos.

Did Ben get tonsils and adenoids out?

Just the adenoids. His ENT does not do tonsillectomies in kids that young. But he did see Ben's tonsils when he put the scope up his nose and said they looked okay. Yeah, snoring at this age can definitely indicate adenoid problems. I'm surprised that your ENT hasn't brought up the subject, especially since Moriah has had so many ear infections. Is she on Nasonex? The only reason why I ask is that it worked really well for the nasal inflammation prior to Ben's surgery. Since the operation Ben gained 3 pounds in less than a month, sleeps better and is generally a healthier, happier little kid.

PeppermintPatty's picture
Joined: 08/21/07
Posts: 426

Thanks for the info, Lisa. I just got off the phone making an appointment with a pediatric ENT for May 10. I am excited to meet him as I have heard many good things about him.

May 10th can't come soon enough!!

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

That's great news! I usually try hard not to compare other LO's symptoms to my kids', but Moriah just sounds like she and Ben are two peas in a pod with their poor widdle noses.:( Great news is that adenoids are, all things considered, easy to deal with. If she did need surgery it only takes about 20 minutes and recovery is relatively easy. Hopefully this ENT you're seeing will be able to scope Moriah on the spot so you'll have answers before you even leave!

babyJtime's picture
Joined: 05/23/05
Posts: 682

Was reading this all day and am so glad that you have an appt for May 10th!! Smile

Good luck and can't wait for the update!

Hang in there Mama! Smile

PeppermintPatty's picture
Joined: 08/21/07
Posts: 426

So did your little guy have issues with coughing too (perhaps due to the nasal dripping?)

I had to bust out the nebulizer tonight because she was coughing so hard she not only coughed up some mucus but her dinner as well.:(

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"PeppermintPatty" wrote:

So did your little guy have issues with coughing too (perhaps due to the nasal dripping?)

I had to bust out the nebulizer tonight because she was coughing so hard she not only coughed up some mucus but her dinner as well.:(

Yes, he always had some form of cough. It was always way worse when he had a cold (which seemed like ALL.THE.TIME) and he was constantly making this throat-clearing sound. Several doctors, including the ENT, commented on the thick mucus in the back of his throat. It was just gross post-nasal drip, but I can't even really call it 'drip'; it was more like ooze. Yuck!!!!!

PeppermintPatty's picture
Joined: 08/21/07
Posts: 426

This all really makes me wonder...

Ben didn't need tubes in his ears? I really wonder if the ENT even looked at her adenoids when he did the surgery on Moriah's ears. You'd think he would have mentioned something to me if they were enlarged at all?

I can't wait to pick this other ENT's brain....

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"PeppermintPatty" wrote:

This all really makes me wonder...

Ben didn't need tubes in his ears? I really wonder if the ENT even looked at her adenoids when he did the surgery on Moriah's ears. You'd think he would have mentioned something to me if they were enlarged at all?

I can't wait to pick this other ENT's brain....

Ben had one tube put in his right ear when he had his adenoids out. Seemed weird to me that they'd only do one ear.

Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

Glad you got an appointment and hopefully you'll have some answers soon!