*** Our 2011 Pumpkin Pie Spaces ***
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: *** Our 2011 Pumpkin Pie Spaces ***

  1. #1
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default *** Our 2011 Pumpkin Pie Spaces ***

    Our October Pumpkin Pie Baby Spaces!
    Reserve your space once your little one has made his/her arrival!

    A place for all of our October moms to share:
    Pregnancy Photos/Info
    Baby's Birth Story
    Photos and Stats as Our Babies Grow

    A few rules to keep in mind:
    Please turn off your siggy. You are welcome to add any tickers to your space you'd like though!
    NO comments! Feel free to post your new pics in a separate thread on the board so we can ooh and ahh appropriately, though!
    Only one space per member. When you want to add something, please edit your original space by clicking the "Edit" button at the bottom of the post.
    Finally, safety first! When posting pictures or other information, please make sure it doesn't include anything like last names, addresses, etc that could make it easy for someone to discover your real-life location or other details.

    Once all of our babies have arrived, our pregnancy spaces & belly pics threads will be moved to the Keepers board. A link will be posted to it here so you can still refer back to it! Here is our current October Spaces thread: ***October Spaces*** & here is our current Belly Pics thread: http://www.pregnancy.org/bulletinboa...d.php?t=652602

    ~~~ Our October Arrivals ~~~

    September 16
    Samantha (blondiess4u)
    Nicholas Wynn
    9:28 PM
    6 lbs 9 oz
    19 1/2 inches

    Jennifer (jac81)
    Sophia Ann
    11:04 PM
    7 lbs 2 oz
    18 1/2 inches

    September 21
    Sally (CanadianaSally)
    Baby Markus
    2:51 PM
    8 lbs 9 oz
    19 1/2 inches

    September 22
    Sara (Majka)
    Baby Boy
    6:45 PM
    7 lbs 6 oz
    20.4 inches

    September 28
    Laurie (pollo_la)
    Aidan Daniel
    3:52 AM
    5 lbs 6 oz
    19 inches

    Ryan (scotty620)
    Darcy Helen
    11:51 AM
    7 lbs 3 oz
    20 1/2 inches

    September 29
    Dana (wobbs)
    Gillian Rose
    2:15 AM
    6 lbs 8 oz
    19 3/4 inches

    Chadae' (pobaby477)
    7:37 PM
    6 lbs 11 oz
    19 inches

    September 30
    Amanda (mommy2four)
    Allison Elizabeth "Alli"
    4:22 PM
    7 lbs 9 oz
    20 inches

    Melissa (dragonsdreamers)
    Elijah Miguel
    6 lbs 3 oz
    18 inches

    October 4
    Kristin (BabyBuff)
    Sarah Caroline
    12:39 AM
    8 lbs 6 oz
    19 3/4 inches

    Allyson (ladyscott)
    Baby Shane
    7:51 AM
    8 lbs 1 oz
    20 inches

    Anita (abh413)
    Ethan Asher
    8:21 AM
    6 lbs 14 oz
    19 3/4 inches

    Lisa (kittenchan)
    Conor Brian
    1:50 PM
    8 lbs 4 oz
    20 inches

    October 6
    Amanda (Ajwilliams04)
    Owen Carver
    12:14 AM
    6 lbs 15 oz
    19 1/2 inches

    Lenora (nori_garsi)
    Christopher Allan Jr (CJ)
    11:22 AM
    8 lbs 6 oz
    20 1/4 inches

    Rebecca (rbrooks14332)
    Owen Scott
    5:58 PM
    7 lbs 15 oz
    21 1/2 inches

    October 9
    Lindsey (L.Miller)
    Kessler Jay
    8:57 AM
    7 lbs 6 oz

    October 12
    Melissa (m.sawchuk)
    Levi John
    2:56 AM
    7 lbs 6 oz
    19 3/4 inches

    October 13
    Emma (Dylemma)
    Baby Boy "Cosmo"
    8:46 PM
    8 lbs 10 oz

    Melissa (melba)
    Brenna Cameron

    October 14
    Mira (Mrs.Mac) Twin Boys
    Archer Rhys
    9:39 PM
    6 lbs 12 oz
    Harrison Fisher
    9:44 PM
    7 lbs 1 oz

    Julie (OregonJewels)
    Kai Robert
    4:00 PM
    9 lbs 2 oz
    21 1/2 inches

    Ayelet (tanismom)
    Baby Boy
    4:24 PM

    October 16
    Paula (pwbattist)
    David Joseph
    6:53 PM
    7 lbs 2 oz
    19 3/4 inches

    October 17
    Ann-marie (irishgirl)
    Egan Sawyer
    7:38 AM
    8 lbs 6 oz
    20 inches

    October 18
    Aimee (AimeeLynne)
    Baby Girl
    4:29 AM
    6 lbs 1.8 oz
    19 1/2 inches

    Our Pumpkin Pie Tally
    8 Girls
    20 Boys
    Last edited by abh413; 10-19-2011 at 03:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Prolific Poster blondiess4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007


    On Thursday, 9/15 I had my 38 week appt. Every seemed good accept I was measuring small. Doctor seemed concerned so she had me come back in the afternoon for a u/s. Well I just figured LO is really low since I was already 2cm and almost fully effaced but I wasn't going to turn down a u/s.
    So I went back and they did some measurments and noticed my fluid was low and baby's head was measuring 2 weeks behind. So she had me come back on Friday 9/16 for a NST to make sure he was fine, which he was, but she was still concerned about the low fluid so she said I was high risk and was going to switch me over to a high risk doctor. She called him and told him the situation and he said to induce me immediatly. She warned me because of the head measurment that there could be something wrong with the baby and I would be delivering as a high rish and a nicu team. I might not be able to see my baby when he is born. I was so upset!!! This is not what I wanted at all. I had such an easy delivery with DS and now this? So I got all my papers and headed down to labor and delivery in shock. I called my SO and parents and they headed to the hospital.

    They hooked me up to pitocin around 2pm (2 hours after my nst) and i sat and waited for about 4 hours while I felt nothing. No contractions at all. Doctor came in about 6pm and said I was 3 cm and fully effaced so she broke my water. It gushed out. It was hard to believe I had low fluid!! I started contracting immediatly. It was so painful and everyone was still in the room, so my SO got everyone out so we could get on the birth ball. SO was so good, he helped ease my back pain by pressing really hard while I went through a contraction. It helped alot but it started to get to intense that I started losing control. I wanted to make it to 8cm before an epideral so I got checked again after only 1 hr on the birth ball and I was already at 6 cm! This was probably around 8pm. My nurse said that if I wanted the epideral to do it soon so I decided to do it because the pitocin and dialating so fast was kicking my a**. I was getting so tired and was so hot and I jusy wanted to rest and ease some pain until I delivered. The epideral seemed to take forever. He was so slow puting it in, but maybe because I was just having so much pain. It was about 8:30 when it was in and it seemed to not be working. I was feeling major pressure! The nurse checked me right agter receiving the epideral and I was at 10 ready to push!!! SO I had gone from 3 cm to 10cm in less then 3 hours!! No wonder why I was in so much pain. and the pitocin didn't help. My nurse called it a double whammy! I told her I felt the urge and she told me I had to wait because she had to call my doctor to get here! They got everything ready while I tried to hold it but the pressure was so strong! I felt everything!!! The doctor got the about 8:45 and I pushed with intense pressure and pain for about 40 min. With 8 long pushes that seemed like an eternity! I felt his head crowning but I was getting so tired that it was so hard to give good pushes, so I had her use the vaccum which she had to only use once when his head came out and then I pushed the rest of him out of me with a big scream and I reached down naturally when your in the much pain and grabbed him to pull him out and I felt immediate relief! He was out!! 9:28. They laid him on my chest and SO cut the cord and they wisked him away to the NICU nurses standing by and they did all there tests and then put there hads up and said there is nothing wrong with him he is very healthy! We all cried in happiness!!! SO they brought him over to me. he was wide awake looking around. I tried to nurse him but he didn't want to, but I bonded with him for awhile until the nurse took him for more tests.
    I barely tore. In fact, Im not sure where I tore but she put a stitch in 3 places. I thought that everyone tore at the bottom but mine was near the top. I felt it when i pushed him out. Ouch! Definitey not as bad as the episiotomy I got with DS.
    SO was so wonderful during the delivery, he never left my side and he helped me make it through the hard contractions by telling me how we will be taking our boys to the beach soon and all the wonderful things we will get to do as a family. It was so sweet and empowering for me. I felt like such an amazing woman by pushing my baby out and feeling him come out! Everyone said I did great and I felt great! Maybe traumitized alittle! I wouldn't trade him for the world and I would do it all over again to have him!
    With that said, I'd liek to introduce to you my beautiful son:

    Nicholas Wynn
    9:28 pm
    6lbs 9oz
    19 1/2 in.

    Last edited by blondiess4u; 09-21-2011 at 09:22 AM.

  3. #3
    Prolific Poster jac81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010


    Sophia Ann born 9/16/2011 at 11:04 PM, 7 lbs. 2 oz., 18 1/2 inches long

    The story of Sophia Ann’s drug free birth began on September 16th at 6:00AM. This is the day that my mother had always predicted she would arrive since it is also my deceased grandmother’s birthday. After all, how special would it be for my daughter to share her birthday with the woman who gave life to my father. When I had woken that morning, I had mistakenly thought my water had broke. Any woman who has been pregnant can confirm that this is a honest mistake that any woman could make in her 3rd trimester especially since it had happened to me at 34 weeks with my son. I was so convinced that I text all my friends and family to tell them that “it’s time” and even woke my husband up to get ready. I decided to take a shower and get ready since I knew it would probably be a while before I get a chance to take a shower at the hospital. I even did my hair and makeup which seems a little silly now.

    We arrived at the hospital shortly after 8:00AM and get taken back straight to triage for monitoring and to run test to confirm rather my membranes had actually ruptured. As I’m waiting for all of the test to come back, I started getting some pretty consistent contractions that were about 3-4 minutes apart. They weren’t too uncomfortable so I just breathed through the surges and remained relaxed. When the test came back negative for amniotic fluid, I was told that I was being sent home. I asked them about the contractions that have now started and they said that I'm probably in the early stages of labor and to just go home, relax, and take a hot bath. It was a little frustrating to know that I was being sent home and even made me think that maybe having the baby at home wouldn’t be such a bad idea. My husband even suggested going to a different hospital, but I refused. I chose that hospital because of their support of natural birth. Later on, I realized that sending me home was probably the best decision anyways. I could comfortably labor at home and go back to the hospital when the time was right.

    My husband and I return home around 1:00 PM and the contractions started intensifying. I had friends texting me and suggesting different things I should do to see whether it was true labor or not. I layed on my left side and tried drinking some water, but it wasn't helping. My husband drew a hot bath for me and the bath actually made them more intense and closer together. At about 5:00 PM and with my contractions getting closer together, I decided it was time to head back up to the hospital. The whole time My husband just kept reminding me of my HypnoBirthing breathing and to relax and not tense up just like we had learned in class. He really was my backbone during the whole process and I don't know what I would have done without him.

    By the time we arrived back at the hospital, my contractions were about 2 minutes apart and all in my back. I was examined and told that I was in active labor and that I wasn’t leaving until we had a baby! I text my birth photographer to let her know and to start heading my way. My wonderful nurse looked over my birth plan and assured me that she would support my natural birth plan and would intervene only at my request which really made me feel more secure about my decision in staying with the hospital. I wasn’t forced to have an IV, I wasn’t confined to my bed with monitors, I wore my own clothing, and I was able to eat and drink (even though I had absolutely no desire to). They provided me a birthing ball and jacuzzi tub. That’s all I ever needed!!
    It was suspected that Sophia was sunny side up and that is probably why I was feeling so much pressure in my back. The nurse had me get on all fours and showed my husband how to press on my back during each surge so we could try to flip the baby. After about 20 minutes, the pressure in my back seemed to let up some and I was more than ever determined that I could do this. Once my photographer arrived, it felt like she was almost acting as my doula at one point instead of my photographer by encouraging me to try the birthing ball and even the tub. The birthing ball was amazing and helped ease my back labor even more and I had never been so blessed to have her there helping me too. I was even laughing and talking in between contractions and both the nurse and my photographer kept telling me how amazed they were. After about 45 minutes on the birthing ball, we decided to move to the tub. The nurse said I could get in the water, but not for long since I was so close. That tub was my best friend at that moment and I would have given birth in there if they had allowed me to. I’m not going to lie. There were momements when I wanted to give up. I remember looking at my husband and telling him that I was done. I was just ready to be comfortable and not have to concentrate on every surge/contraction. My nurse and husband both encouraged me to keep going and to not give up. It’s so funny now, but I remember my husband looking into my eyes and telling me that I can do this and to just think of all the people who doubted me. I can leave this experience and show those people what I’m capable of. I had never felt so strong in my life when he said those words to me.

    I spent about 30 minutes in the tub and then moved to the bed to check and see how much progress we had made. I had about 1 CM to go and a bulging bag of waters. Even though I initially did not want any intervention whatsoever, I decided that I wanted them to break my water for me. I was ready to meet my baby girl! The on call resident came in at 11:00PM and broke my water. I immediately felt an urge to push and just a few short minutes later at 11:04 PM, without the doctor even being there, without forced pushing or "purple pushing”, without the bed being setup for delivery or even without those harsh hospital lights, my baby girl gently came into this world cying as loud as her little lungs would allow her. I brought my baby into this world exactly how I had wanted and had hoped for. My husband cut the cord soon after she was born and she was taken over to the bassinet to be looked over. Since she descended so fast down the birth canal, they were concerned that she may have a broken clavicle. Once they looked her over, I got to hold my sweet angel for the first time and I was so surprised to see how much she looked like her big brother.

    My husband and photographer left Sophia and I alone for a few moments so they can go let our family know that she was here and to bring them in to see her. I was able to spend her first few moments with just me and her while she nursed for the first time. It was a bonding experience that I could never put into words.

    I constantly think about this day and how empowered I had felt. My husband continues to tell me how proud he was of me that day and that it felt like he married me all over again. As a wife and mother, that is all I could ever ask for!

    Here are the birth photos
    Professional birth photos:

    Last edited by jac81; 12-19-2011 at 05:18 PM.

  4. #4


    Removing my info.
    Last edited by CanadianaSally; 01-31-2012 at 10:07 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011


    Last edited by Majka; 11-16-2011 at 09:57 AM.

  6. #6
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2005


    Adian Daniel
    Born: September 28th, 3:52am
    Weight: 5 Pounds, 6 ounces
    Height: 19 inches

    Tuesday, the 27th, started out as an average day for us. The morning was normal and uneventful. The girls got up. We had breakfast. Then we did a bit of homeschool. At around 11 we left for Albuquerque (we live about 40) minutes from the edge of the city. A friend of mine was having a birthday party for her 3 year old, and my kiddos were of course thrilled to be going. The party started at 12. It was a very relaxed gathering. We had lunch and cake, and then the presents were opened. We took off at 1:30 because I had my 38 week appointment at the birth center at 2, and that was an hour away. We arrived promptly at 2. Everything was normal at the appointment. My BP was good, baby's heart rate was good. Then she measured me... I was measuring 32. I had been a 34 the week before (at 37 weeks). Now, the reality is that I ALWAYS measure small with my pregnancies. I've been as much as 5 weeks small and still give birth to 7 and 8 pound babies at 39 weeks, SO... we decided he had likely just dropped and felt he was probably about the same size as my other babies. It just so happened that my DH was suppose to be home early from work and he had the next day off (which basically NEVER happens), so I asked her to strip my membranes if things looked favorable. She checked me and I was at 3 cm, but still thick, maybe only 10% effaced. Also his head was about -1 station, and still had plenty of space to move down. Usually at this point I have been farther along. She said it looked like it would easily be another week at least, and she could still strip my membranes, but fully expected to see me the following week. I said, to go ahead and strip them, and it was fine whatever ended up happening. So, I went home a bit disappointed, as I had hoped to be a bit more progressed.

    We got home around 3:30, and DH arrived home shortly after. We actually had an appointment to meet with our realtor about finalizing an offer on a house we are trying to buy at 5:30 (at our house). The realtor stopped by, and we found out that our offer had been accepted!! She walked out the door and 5 minutes later I started having contractions (baby got excited to know he had a house to live in). I fully expected the contractions to die out based on what the midwife had said earlier. Well after an hour they were still coming at a nice steady pace. They were about 4 minutes apart, and had some intensity to them. they kept coming. At around 8 I wondered if maybe it would lead to the real thing. At 9 I called the neighbor who would watch the kids while we were at the birth center. She came right over. At 9:15 I called the midwife and told her we were coming into town, and we thought this was it. The contractions were still about 4 minutes apart. Usually I don't leave to the birth until I can no longer walk and talk through the contractions. Well, I still could, but barely, and since this was my 5th birth (with some fast previous labors) and an hour drive to the birth center we decided we had better leave.

    We got to the birth center at around 10:30, and actually just as we walked in the door my contractions started easing up. I couldn't believe it as they had been fairly strong. Well she checked me and I was at a 5. Obviously something was going on, since I had been a 3 earlier in the day. After she checked me things starting picking up again and we went outside to walk. Still the contractions didn't take my breath away, but still had quite an intensity to them. At around midnight I had to start concentrating a bit more to get through them. Then, about a half hour later, much to my astonishment the contractions STOPPED! Just completely stopped. Again, I was somewhat shocked as they really had been strong. She checked me and I was close to an 8. So, there I was at 8 cm, but the contractions were gone. The midwife told me to get walking!! So, after about 10 minutes of walking they started back up again and were as strong as ever. The contractions continued to come about every 3-4 minutes if I was up walking, but if I laid down flat I could actually get them to stop completely!! It was WEIRD!!! I have never experienced a labor like this. I must admit that when the contractions hit they were STRONG, so I did use the laying down thing quite a bit to my advantage to get some longer breaks between contractions. Still I knew things had to keep progressing, so after awhile I figured maybe it would help if she just broke my water. So, I think it was maybe around 2:30, or possibly close to 3 that she broke my water. She said that I had effaced quite a bit at that point, and as she broke my water she could feel his head move down some more. The contractions did get just a bit more intense after my water was broken, and I was getting tired. Finally at around 3:15 I decided to just get in the zone and get him out! Up until that point I had been happily laughing and talking with my hubby and the midwife. In fact, it was just minutes before this that we had finally decided on a name for our baby boy.

    I got up on the bed and rested up against the pillow. I was slightly reclined, but still a bit upright. I didn't want to sit up too far, or the pain of the contractions was too much to deal with. I just laid back and closed my eyes. As each contraction hit (they were about 2 minutes apart now), I would just take long deep breaths and blow them out hard to get through them. At some point (maybe about 10 minutes before he was born) I started screaming a bit with the contractions. I could tell his head was moving down. Finally a contraction hit and my body just took over. I started screaming and the next thing we knew Aidan just flew out onto the bed. He literally shot out like a rocket. Forget about crowning, forget about the head coming first and then the body. There he was! We were all just sitting there in complete amazement. Then we all looked and realized he was TINY.

    They put him on my chest right away, and he was just as perfect looking as could be. There was a bit of trouble with my placenta detaching (I've always had placenta issues... they take a while to come out). Finally it was out. Aidan didn't take too long to latch on and start nursing. We snuggled in the bed for a couple hours, and then the midwife asked if we would like to get in the tub and get cleaned up. It was SOOOO nice to get in their nice, HUGE tub with my brand new baby boy. Aidan instantly curled up on my chest and went right to sleep. So, we got cleaned up, and finally it was time to get his measurements. We knew he was small, but were very surprised that he wasn't even 6 pounds. Anyway, she checked him out and he seemed perfectly healthy in every way. At 9am we left the birth center and headed home!

    I really thought at first that maybe he was a bit of a preemie because he was so small, but that isn't the case at all. His finger nails are long. He has eyelashes. He nurses great, and he has very awake/alert times throughout the day. He is very laid back and is just as sweet a baby as can be.

    Last edited by pollo_la; 10-08-2011 at 10:49 AM.

  7. #7
    Mega Poster kittenchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007


    Conor Brian
    October 4, 2011 at 1:50pm
    8lbs, 4oz and 20" long

    As many of you know, I had been having early labor for at least a week. Just regular contractions that were doing little if anything to my cervix. At my last appointment before going into labor, I was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced.

    On the evening of October 3, I had some sort of feeling about the night. Instead of my normal PJs, I put on something I cared less about and a pair of panties with a liner. I figured it could be anytime. At about 5am, I woke up. I felt what I can only describe as a pop, followed by a small amount of leakage. I laid in bed and thought that it was not at all like when my water broke with my DD, but that I should go check just to be sure. My pad had pink water in it, and I figured that it must have broken. I didn't go back to sleep and started thinking about and counting my contractions. They seemed about the same as what I'd had in early labor. At 6, I woke DH. At 6:15, I called the doctor on call who recommended I come right in. DH and I waited until 7 (in which time I made dinner for whomever ended up at our house that night, finished packing the bag, and made a lunch for DD). When 7 rolled around, we woke up our DD, got her ready for school and prepped for her new brother, then took her. Afterwards, we got gas for the car (as you can see, I wasn't too worried about quickly progressing labor).

    We arrived at the hospital around 8. I was admitted to L&D triage where they tested to see if my water had broken. It had, of course, so they admitted me to one of they LDRP (labor, delivery, recovery, postpartum) rooms. Things all of a sudden were getting real! My L&D nurse came and administered my IV. Not long after, one of my OB's partners showed up. She checked my cervix (3cm) and realized that my membranes were not fully ruptured. She broke them the rest of the way and out gushed some greenish water. Way to go, baby boy.. going #2 in your fluids XD They weren't concerned though. It was only a little tiny bit.

    I was monitored for an hour or so. I told my L&D nurse that last time around I had regular contractions but that they weren't strong enough and I required a very low dose of pitocin to get going. She showed my OB my tests and she agreed. They asked if I'd like my epidural before or after the pitocin. Well, not being crazy, I asked for it before! The anesthesiologist came in shortly. After a bit of trouble, I was VERY comfortable with a good epi! They started me on the pit almost right away. The difference was amazing! Even with the epi, I could tell my contractions were getting stronger. They didn't hurt, but they were there.

    After about an hour and a bit of laboring, suddenly I was having pain again, through the epidural on my right side. I complained to the nurse, and she gave me a small boost of meds and had me lie on my side. It was so extreme that I moved to my back again and she called the anesthesiologist and checked my cervix. 8cm! By the time the anesthesiologist made it back (less than 20 mins from the call), I was in agony. She gave me a good epidural bump, and my nurse checked me again. I had gone from 8 to complete in less than 15 minutes! Yikes!

    My OB was called and she must have RAN. She was there shortly, and in two very fast pushing contractions, Conor was born. He didn't make much noise immediately as they were carefully suctioning him out. He was on my chest right away, and I was SO happy to see him. He had almost no coneing of his head as his birth was so quick. His APGAR scores were 8 and 9. DH cut the cord and they took him to be weighed - 8 lbs, 4 oz! My L&D nurse said that if I hadn't had the epidural, I would have delivered him before the OB made it. The nurses on hand were sure to tell the med student that not all births were as quick and easy as mine. I know, I'm not a good example! Apparently they were talking amongst themselves as well. Several nurses came by and commented on how quickly everything went for me.

    We stayed in the hospital for 2 days. I had many visitors including DD who loves him already. We've had only a few minor hiccups there with 3 year old acting out stuff. Conor is a pretty good baby so far. We'd love it if he'd get his days and nights straight, though!

    Here are a few pictures:

    A first look at mommy

    Snuggling mommy

    Meeting big sister

    Peacefully sleeping
    Last edited by kittenchan; 10-13-2011 at 08:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Ft. Campbell, KY


    Owen Scott

    5:58 pm CST
    7 lbs 15 oz
    21 1/2 in

    At 1 am on 10/5, DD woke up in her room crying. I went in to check on her and ended up falling asleep in her room. Around 3:45, I woke up to a MAJOR cramp/contraction. I brushed it off and fell back asleep (sort of). I had another contraction about 10 minutes later. I got up and went to the bathroom and was spotting. I called the doctor because of the blood and he said to watch it and if it continued to come in, and if the contractions got to the 5-1-1 to come in. The spotting got a bit worse and the contractions got a little closer, but never to the 5-1-1 and the bleeding eventually stopped during the day on Wednesday (the 5th). We had already called DH's parents and told them that if it wasn't Wednesday, it'd probably be Thursday or Friday and they could come on to watch DD if they wanted to. By the time they got to the house on Wednesday (around 8 pm), everything had completely stopped. I was pretty discouraged but I knew that labor does this sometimes so I didn't let it get to me. We went to bed around midnight.

    Thursday morning (10/6), I was jolted awake again by a contraction. 3:45 am again. This time there was more bloody show and the contractions were coming harder, around 7 minutes apart and lasting about 40 seconds to a minute. I got up and got in the shower just in case (I labored for 25 hours with DD, so I knew if I didn't get a shower then who knows how long it'd be before I got another one and I had already been 24 hours since my last shower lol). By the time I got out of the shower and dried my hair, I was having to stop and lean over the sink and rock through the contractions and they were getting closer together. I got DH up and told him to shower off, we were going to the hospital. This was around 4:30.

    We got to the ER around 5:30 and we were in l&d triage at 6 am. They hooked me to the monitors and did a cervix check. I wasn't dilated at all but they said they'd keep me and monitor me for 2 hours and see if they could get any change. If they could, I'd stay, if they couldn't, I'd go home. At 6:30 they came in and said that Owen's heart rate was having late decelerations (it was slowing down after the contraction) and that they wouldn't be sending me home. The decels could be nothing, or they could be a wrapped cord or him laying on his cord. They hooked me up to fluids and had me go on oxygen to see if that helped. If it didn't help then we were looking at the possibility of a c-section. Having a c-section is one of my worst fears, so I got a bit nervous about that. Luckily the fluids helped and the decels got better. I was already admitted tho so labor was induced.

    They started the pit drip around 8:30. They started it VERY slowly (2 whatevers/hour, it can go up to 20) and left it like that for quite a while. I went ahead and asked for the epidural since I knew that pit inductions can be rough and since we weren't going home without a baby, there was no reason for me to sit there in pain. I wasn't dilated at all. With DD's labor, I didn't dilate until after I got the epidural. It was the same way with Owen. I had to wait just a little while for the epi because the anesthesiologist was in on a c-section. I got it around 10:30. Between 10:30 and 11:00 am I went from 0 - 2 cm. Not surprised at all, given my history with epidural/dilation. I labored for several more hours, them flipping me from my right side to my left because being on my back made the heart decels come back. They kept turning the pit up and up during this time. Around 3 I started to get some breakthrough pain in my cervix so I asked for some more pain relief. Apparently I had the patient pump on the epidural but the doc forgot to show me where it was so I hadn't been using that to control the pain. I went from feeling nothing, to being back to moaning and breathing and having to manage the pain in about a 20 minute span of time. They checked me around 3:30 and I was at 4 cm and they pushed me full of lidocaine to help me catch the epidural up with the contractions.

    The new doctor came in around 4:15 for the first time (she came on at noon but had a c-section so it took her a while to round to me). She checked me and called me a 5. At 4:37, I thought I felt a gush of water down there that seemed to come with my contractions. My nurse checked and couldn't tell from looking if it was my water or not. She checked me and lo and behold I had gone from 5 cm to 8 cm in those 20 minutes and she couldn't feel my bag of waters. She turned the pit way down and checked me again around 5:20 and I was 10 cm and fully effaced. We pushed through one contraction, just to see how I was going to do. The lidocaine had barely worn off so I was pretty numb down there, couldn't even pick my own feet up to put them in the stirrups.

    The doc came in at 5:25 and we started REALLY pushing. I probably only pushed with about 6 contractions because my contrax spaced out some (they did the same during DD's labor). Owen was born at 5:58 pm, 30 minutes after I started pushing. He was born screaming. They put him on my chest and cleaned him up. The nurse didn't realize it but he had swallowed some meconium so the had to take him over and suction him out really good pretty soon after he was born. DH went with him (just to the other side of the room) while they finished delivering the placenta and putting in one stitch on a 'skid mark'. They brought him back and we oooh'd and ahhh'd over him for a few minutes, then they took him to the nursery to do all the baby stuff.

    DH left to come home and help put DD in bed and the nurse came in and helped me get up for the first time and go to the bathroom (not bad at all except my left thigh was still a bit numb so I had to shuffle more so than walk to the bathroom). From there I went to the postpartum room and waited on them to bring Owen in with me.

    Things got a bit scary later on. They brought him back and the pediatrician on call came in to talk to us and said that he had a suspicious looking hair pattern on the back of his head (we laughed about it looking like he was born with a mullet). She said it could be indicative of him having encephalocele, which is similar to spina bifida (commonly called cranial bifida), where a section of the skull didn't fuse together over his brain and there could be bits of brain matter or spinal fluids that get into the hole. It would have required corrective surgery and possibly a shunt in his head to drain the fluids and could have suggested that there were some neurological problems. On top of this, she said he had an abnormal heart murmur.

    So he spent the night being observed in the nursery overnight Thursday. Friday morning the neonatologist did an ultrasound on his skull and took a closer look at him and said that he couldn't find any problems with his skull. So thankfully it seems that we spent a LOT of time worrying about nothing. He set up an appointment with neuro at the children's hospital in Nashville just to make absolutely sure that they aren't overlooking anything. They did an echocardiogram on his heart and the heart murmur wasn't an issue either. He was given a clean bill of health around 1 pm Friday and we FINALLY got to keep our new baby boy in the room with us for more than 20 minutes at a time. Poor DH still hadn't been able to hold him because we were only getting to keep him for feedings.

    Thankfully they were very supportive of breastfeeding, so even with all the scary stuff going on, they brought him to me on demand to nurse. I was a bit shocked that they didn't suggest formula since he was having to spend so much time in the nursery.

    He got his circumcision done Friday night and we were discharged Saturday right after lunch.

  9. #9
    Posting Addict nori_garsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Los Angeles


    Christopher Allan Jr. (CJ)

    11:22 a.m PST
    8lbs. 6oz.
    20 1/4 inches

  10. #10
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Ethan Asher's Space

    Ethan Asher born on October 4, 2011
    8:21 AM
    6 lbs 14 oz
    19 3/4 inches

    My Birth Story
    I was a scheduled csect this time. We arrived at the hospital around 6 AM for the 7:30 AM csect. We went through all the normal prep for a surgery (pre-op, answering hospital questions, getting iv started, gown, fetal monitoring, etc). It was very relaxed.

    Then off to the operating room. Last time I had an epidural for my csect since I was laboring prior to the emergency csect. This time they did a spinal... Let's just say I never want one of those again... read on. They put something in my iv to keep my blood pressure up since I have a problem with low bp & was a risk for passing out. Whatever that was, it had me feeling quite sick. I struggled through it & managed it. They did the spinal & the right side was slow to respond. There was talk about possibly putting me to sleep but it resolved itself.

    Then the csect was underway. They encountered a few problems that slowed them down a bit. I had some adhesions from my previous csect. My placenta was low & in the way. Then they discovered that I had a velamentous cord insertion (Apparently the umbilical cord vessels weren't as protected as they should've been and they were attached off center. It is a rare condition that is usually found by accident or with a bad result. Labor would have most likely been problematic.) But then out came my son... perfectly healthy.

    I got to watch them check my son. Then I got to kiss him & talk to him as my husband held him up to my face. It was wonderful... & then...

    ... My spinal wore off on the right side while they were putting me back together. Worst pain ever!!! They kept pumping me full of drugs... I don't have any idea how much or how many drugs but they kept pushing them in my iv trying to keep me from being put to sleep. I was gripping the table, hands & anything I could get my hands on. Apparently, I'm in the 1% that they don't work on... either that or they did it wrong. I made it through. I was completely loopy for awhile afterwards but I made it through.

    My time in recovery went pretty quickly... considering. The same nurse that was my labor nurse last time was my recovery nurse this time. That was a wonderful surprise because she was great last time.

    Once I was settled in my room, DH went to get our DD. She came in to see me & meet her baby brother first. She did really well. She was worried about me with all the tubes & wires all over plus the annoying tubes in my nose. After a bit, she was back to being excited to see DS.

    I wasn't able to BF until around 2 PM. After a few tries, we did pretty well with it. DS's bilirubin was monitored pretty closely because he was a bit jaundiced. It worked out though & we were able to go home as planned on Fri. He was starting to gain again when we left the hospital. The day we left he was 6 lbs 8 oz.
    Last edited by abh413; 10-18-2011 at 03:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions