~ June Berries Arrivals ~ Birth Dates, Stats, & Stories ~ - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: ~ June Berries Arrivals ~ Birth Dates, Stats, & Stories ~

  1. #21
    Posting Addict sweetalienchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005


    Copied and pasted from other thread.

    Well I am home from the hospital now. We got back in the afternoon and I have been busy and only have a little bit of time right now to write a quick something. I am working on a more detailed version of my birth story but here is a quick version for you guys Sorry not many pics right now but I will get more uploaded soon I promise!

    Basically you all know my water broke on Thursday morning and I went all day with no contractions and one hospital visit. They sent me home to see if I would start contracting on my own. (they give women 72 hours here to start their own contractions and if they don't start on their own, they help out by inducing them so I knew what to expect since I had been down that road before). Then 2 a.m. Friday morning I was starting to get cramp like feelings and was wondering if those led to contractions. Well, that entire day I was contracting off and on. They were very irregular and when we went to the hospital for the 2nd time it registered that I WAS indeed having contractions but they weren't consistent enough and not painful enough. I was like "what?? they get MORE painful?" ohhh little did I know! The midwife said I would definitly KNOW when I was in LABOR cuz the contractions would get even stronger and consistent. So they sent me home. Actually I had the option to walk around a bit and see if that would do anything for me, or go home. I said Home. But we stopped for lunch first near the hospital and walked a bit just in case. Lunch was good. Then we headed to some place for my drivers license, then a quick trip to Ikea (only dh went into these places, i stayed in the car I didn't want to move). Then finally home. Rush hour traffic was INSANE, it took ONE HOUR to get home from where we were! Finally when we got home my contractions were no longer. I had stopped contracting sometime in between 3 and 4p.m. I'm guessing. When we got home I told DH I was going upstairs to try to get some rest because I was stinkin tired from contracting all day long! But hey i was very happy I was contracting at all! Last time with DD I didn't get even one contraction. Anyways, I tried laying down and almost fell asleep an hour later when I shot up out of bed with a really STRONG contraction and I even yelled out for DH! I was freaked out by it. I sat on the toilet cuz that is what I thought would make it feel better. NOPE! DH came up and we waited. I was like "ok so they are starting up again. lets time them" DH got on the computer and started timing them and I hopped in the shower and turned on some hot water. I used all the hot water up in one shower it helped though. Then DH started timing the contractions. Starting at about 6p.m. they were approx 6 to 7 minutes apart ALL lasting OVER one minute! Slowly they lasted 1 1/2 minutes then 1 min 45 seconds. At about 7:30pm.ish I told DH "you better call the hospital and ask them what we should do cuz i can't stand this pain anymore!" I was seriously YELLING through every contraction and cursing like a mad sailor without his whiskey! I didn't care who could hear me outside. I was in PAIN! Soon though I started noticing that they were getting closer and closer together. DH was on the phone with the hospital and they said "let us call you back in a minute because our maternity ward is getting full." I was like So we don't hear from them for what seems like a LONG time. then finally DH's phone rings and its some OTHER hospital thats even FURTHER away than the hospital I was orignally suppose to give birth at. They said to go on in. I told DH "lets go! its time to go now!" Our neighbor was home and we were so lucky to have her there because she took my daughter and watched her for us while we rushed to the hospital. I was crying through contractions and using the "oh ****" handle in the car all the time. It hurt like hell! There were times I could feel babys head trying to make his way out! And guess how far the hospital was from our house when we left? 70 kilometers! About 50 miles or so? OMG! I didn't want to know how far away it was but DH got us there in 40 minutes! He was speeding the ENTIRE way there on the highway. Going 100 miles per hour. THe hospital said they could send an ambulance but by the time they'd get there and then take me to the hospital it might be too late. SO DH was speeding and flashing his lights at people to get out of the way and honking at some idiots. They all moved except for a few idiots. So about 10 minutes before we got to the hospital they give DH a call and give him directions to the hospital since we had never been there before. They said they would be waiting outside for us and sure enough when we got there there were 2 midwives and a bed waiting for me. I quickly got out of the car. I had put on a house robe and could care less what I was wearing at that point! I hopped onto the bed, closed my eyes and yelled out in pain. I opened my eyes briefly and could see some kid with a ice cream cone and his father just standing there. lol I could only imagine what they were thinking when they saw me yelling out in pain "oh ****!" over and over again. The midwives helped me by telling me how to breath, etc. They quickly wheeled me into a room on some other floor and I get off the bed and they tell me to take all my clothes off. No problem. There I was butt naked and they put a hospital gown on me and tell me to get on the bed. It was a regular bed with a huge bean bag and pillows piled up on one end. Not a small birthing bed. I got on all 4's and the midwives ask me if I need to push and I said "yes! I do!" Then they checked me and I was already 10 cm dilated Holy crap! I wonder how long I had been 10 cm dilated. It took 40 minutes to get to the hospital! We left the house at around 8:20ish or something? and we got to the hospital at 9:15. I started pushing the minute I got onto that bed since I was already 10cm. Then the midwife broke the rest of the water. I pushed and pushed. Midwife said to reach down and touch baby's head and wow! he was peeking out. When I first got there though they gave me laughing gas which did absolutely nothing to me And before that at the house I had a pain killer that I took rectaly. Did NOTHING to me. So...after touching baby's head I did a few more pushes. Then finally I was fed up and asked the midwives "is it possible to push his entire head and body with just ONE single push?" and they said "maybe but probably no." Well I was going to prove them wrong! The next contraction I pushed as hard as I COULD with my arms around DH's neck and he was sorta hugging me. I pushed with all my strength and could feel his head coming out! Then his head was out and I kept on pushing and OUT came his body! All with only one big push on that last contraction and he was out! The midwives were surprised! They said I couldn't do it but I DID IT! And ALL WITH NO DRUGS! Completely opposite from my last birthing experience!! I couldn't believe it... I gave birth NATURALLY! The way it was meant to happen. I was on a natural high! And there was my slimy little cute boy on my chest! I remember it all! Its not all hazy like with DD. I remember the placenta and I got 3 stitches. Not bad at all! Oh and just 5 minutes after LO was born I put him to my breast and he started sucking away like a pro! He breastfed for a good hour and a half or so. He was so hungry! I hadn't eaten anything all day so I wonder if that is why I noticed he was hungry when he started sucking his thumb. Later on they weighed him and measured him then I showered and felt loads better. And we got put into a room and I had my OWN private room! It was like a small hotel room with a regular double sized bed and a diaper changing station and bathroom and shower right outside my door. It was great and I felt totally comfortable there my entire stay! DH went home a couple hours after baby was born to go attend to DD. He was great! Next day he came and he brought me pink roses for doing such a great job. No drugs, all natural! I still can't believe it. It's a great feeling! So, we got to the hospital at 9:15p.m. and I gave birth at 9:58p.m. We weren't there long at all! Everyone was amazed! oh and DH ended up calling the police after it was all over and told them that if any cameras got a picture of him speeding then the reason why was because i was in labor and about to have the baby. They said "no problem" lol

    Well we are all adjusting quite well and DD is getting use to little boy. She kisses him all the time which is so cute. It will take some more time to get into a routine, etc though I'm sure. But for now we are all doing great and my milk came in today and wow are my breasts sore and huge! but im loving breastfeeding And I'm doing great! Going to head to the grocery store tomorrow actually we need some things! and so much for cleaning my house. It's a mess now cuz DH and DD were home alone hehe Oh well its ok! i don't care right now

    And here are some pics and more details..

    Mikael André (pronounced Mee-Kah-El) was born at 9:58p.m. weighing 3710 grams (8pounds 3ounces?) 49cm long. Apgars 9, 10. Breastfeeding going great! Everything is great! Here are a couple pics. Will share more later He doesn't even look like he is mine! He has brown hair with blond tips. Looks like he went to a salon to get highlights He's so stinkin cute! but i have no idea who he is going to look like or who he even looks like now! I'll always remember this birthing experience. I feel like I can do anything now that I pushed this baby out without the help of any sort of drugs! woohoo!

    Thanks for reading
    Mikael 2, Jeanette 4,

  2. #22
    Super Poster Umpqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Northern CT


    The Birth of Nathaniel Zeke

    I lost my mucous plug on May 19 and proceeded to have 2 1/2 weeks of prodromal labor. The night of June 2 I had some strong contractions that woke me during the night. I woke up the morning of June 3 to some pretty strong ones and I could feel my cervix doing something after them. I walked around with John at the mall that day and contractions went from every 8-10 minutes to every 20-30 minutes, but they never went away. They were bearable though. That night they got closer together and more intense, but I knew I wasn't yet in active labor. I tried walking around and bouncing on the birth ball but they never got any closer together. I finally laid down to get some rest, but kept waking up with the contractions. They did space out overnight though.

    The morning of June 4 (I was 40 weeks +2 days) I awoke to contractions about 15-20 minutes apart. I went to my scheduled doctor's appointment and he informed me I was 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced, so I had made progress since the previous week. He swept my membranes at my request and said I could very well go into active labor that night. I was exhausted but optimistic, since the contractions were still coming steadily and not letting up. Contractions continued that afternoon and got closer together as the night went on. I walked and bounced on the birth ball intermittently that night and they got a bit stronger and more painful. I tried to visualize my cervix opening up and work with the contractions, but I was also completely exhausted and wondering how I was going to get through labor. At this point, I think I realized I was in active labor. John wasn't so convinced and wanted us to stay home longer. I held out for a few more hours and then told him we HAD to leave for the hospital. We left the house at 4:30 a.m. on June 5 (40 weeks +3 days).

    I labored in the back seat of the car for the 45-minute drive to the hospital. Contractions spaced out a bit but were still intense when they came. I feared they were going to continue to space out after we arrived, but luckily that didn't happen. We parked in the hospital parking garage and as soon as I stepped out of the car and had a whiff of fresh air, everything changed. I felt enthusiastic and revitalized, and I realized that walking in circles at my house for days had really been a drain on me. We walked around the parking garage, up and down stairs, and on the sidewalks outside the hospital from 5:15 until 7 a.m. The contractions picked up almost instantly and we timed them at 2 1/2 minutes apart, lasting about a minute each for just about the entire time. They got consistently more powerful as we walked too, and especially as I went up and down the stairs.

    At 7 a.m. I decided I was ready to call the doctor, and he told us to go right up to labor and delivery. By 7:30 I was in a room and we met our wonderful nurse Linda, who stuck with me throughout the labor and through my c-section. She checked me and I was 5 cm dilated and 90% effaced! I had achieved my goal of dilating past the point I had with my first son Jacob, so I was really pleased. With that labor I had stalled out at around 4-5 cm. Linda looked over our birth plan and said everything on there was pretty much standard hospital procedure. We were so pleased, and already we felt that this birthing experience was going to be much different than the birth of my first son.

    Here's a picture of me when we first checked in, having a contraction:

    Linda got a heplock in right away and I changed into a gown I had brought with me for the labor. She got me situated with a wireless telemetry monitor and the baby's heart rate was excellent. My contractions were showing up strong as well. At around 8 or 8:30 my doctor showed up and checked me. I was going to question why he was checking me so soon after the nurse had, but I decided to let it go and see what he had to say. I guess I was afraid he would say I hadn't progressed as much as she had said. To my surprise, he said I was now at 7 cm, 100% effaced and baby was at -1 station. I was ready to jump up and down - I was progressing well on my own, and doing it pretty quickly!

    Eating an italian ice at 7 cm:

    At that point he said he would be back in a couple of hours and Linda said I was free to walk the halls, bounce on the birth ball or do whatever I wanted. So we walked, squatted and tried a variety of labor positions. I was getting pretty strong contractions, but managing them well. And I was so happy to be progressing I welcomed each contraction as getting me closer to my goal. Linda started setting the room up for the baby's arrival at that point, a stage we hadn't gotten to in my first son's birth. I guess since I had progressed to a 7 in such a short time, she felt the baby would be coming soon.

    The doctor came back in a couple of hours and everything was exactly the same. He was very encouraging though, and just told me to keep moving and that my contractions were good and strong. This went on for several more hours, and as the afternoon wore on I became really tired and a little discouraged. The baby wasn't descending past -1 and we tried everything we knew of to get him in a better position - squats, hip swaying, bending over, standing up, sitting on the birth ball, and lots of walking.

    At around 2 p.m. I finally consented to having my water broken, hoping that it would give us the nudge we needed to get to transition. My contractions immediately got stronger and closer together and I really had to work to stay focused and on top of them. I was hopeful that the change meant something was finally happening and we could proceed to the next stage of labor. Unfortunately I still wasn't progressing and baby was not moving down. Everything was exactly as it had been at my first check by the doctor. At 4 p.m. the doctor finally brought up a repeat c-section. He said my cervix hadn't changed in close to 8 hours and he was worried about uterine rupture. The baby was still tolerating the labor well and heart tones were normal, but I was exhausted and feeling pretty defeated by that point. I asked if there was anything I could do to get things moving but he said we had tried everything. He didn't want to use pitocin because the baby was only at -1 station and he said I was already having "pitocin-level contractions" from what he could see on the monitors. I was wary of using pitocin anyway. I asked about an epidural to allow my body to rest and be more productive but he said he honestly didn't think it would make a difference. He said he would give me another half hour if I wanted to walk some more, and then he was strongly recommending a section.

    We walked the halls again and I bounced and squatted through painful contractions, but I was feeling pretty defeated and exhausted at this point. When the 4:30 p.m. check showed no change, I agreed to the c-section. Things went pretty quickly from this point on, although they seemed to take an eternity. I was on the bed now, signing paperwork and getting an IV, and the contractions became excruciating in this position. I was instantly reminded of my labor with my first son, when I was forced to labor in bed on my side for the majority of the time. When I was finally ready they had me walk to the operating room, and they got the spinal inserted and I had some relief from the contractions.

    Everything went quickly from this point on and I'm a bit hazy on the details since I was a little dizzy and nauseous from the medications. I had been med-free up to that point so it was kind of an onslaught to my already tired system. Once the spinal was in and they were ready to start, they let John into the OR. He was right up by my head to distract me from what was going on on the other side of the curtain. I quickly realized that this c-section was going to be a lot different than my previous one. I couldn't feel pain, but I could feel the doctors working. I kept mentioning this, and they said they had checked the spinal and everything was working properly. But it felt really rough as they were cutting and I could feel lots of tugging and it was generally unpleasant. I didn't feel anything with my last c-section until they pulled the baby out. My doctor said that I had a lot of scar tissue so it was taking time to get through that. They finally pulled the baby out and I definitely felt that, but they lifted him up over the curtain and through my haze I was ecstatic to finally see my little one. The doctor also said he had been OP and had been presenting with the largest part of his head. He just wasn't going to get through my pelvis that way, and for whatever reason he didn't turn. And I guess he was too high up for the doctor to attempt to turn vaginally. He also added that my fibroid (the reason given to me for my "failure to progress" during my lsat labor) was high up in my uterus and not anywhere near the baby.

    The doctor then announced that it was a boy (that was a huge disappointment to me - we didn't know the sex and I wanted to be the one to announce it after the baby was placed on my chest after my VBAC). I got over it though, and John and I were shocked since we were both convinced we were having a girl! They cleaned up the baby a bit and handed him over to John for a few minutes so we could get a look at him. I was definitely more out of it than I was last time so I really only saw him though half open eyes. His apgars were 9 and 9 and he was born pink and yelling loudly - the kid has quite a set of lungs on him for a newborn.

    While they were sewing me up they announced they would be taking him to the nursery and John said he'd be going too. I asked if they could bring him to me right away after the surgery since I wanted to breastfeed, and they said they usually keep them for a few hours after surgery. But Linda said she'd see about getting him to me sooner. Unfortunately Linda couldn't pull the right strings and I sat alone in my room after the surgery for THREE HOURS waiting to hold my son. John said he was livid, the nurses in the nursery did what they needed to do and just needed to give him a bath, but they took a pizza break in the middle of it and were generally just farting around. He kept reminding them that I was waiting to breastfeed Nate and they just brushed him off. Even Linda came in and tried to push them along and they got territorial with her. This must just be hospital nursery protocol, but luckily this was the only truly negative experience I had with the nurses during my stay.

    When John finally brought Nate to me he lunged for my breast and latched on immediately and fed for over an hour. Poor kid was starving! He's been a great nurser ever since so thankfully he wasn't traumatized by the nursery experience. And no one tried to sneak him formula this time thankfully.

    The rest of my hospital stay went well, as far as hospital stays go. My recovery has been quicker and easier than with my previous c-section. I was up and walking around the morning after the surgery, and we were discharged 3 days later. My mother has been a huge help with taking care of Jake, and my biggest concern is that I'm not supposed to lift him until 6 weeks post surgery. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that once Mom leaves. John works from home, so that's helpful, but traveling anywhere and getting him in and out of his car seat, shopping carts, etc. is going to be tricky. I'll have to make it work though. Jake has been great with his little brother, but he does want me to pick him up and I don't think he understands why I can't. This was one of the main reasons why I really wanted a VBAC, but I'm just going to do the best I can and be lucky I have such a mellow and happy toddler.

    I really think I gave my VBAC my best shot. I wouldn't have done anything differently. I feel I went to the hospital at the right time, I listened to my body throughout my prodromal labor and into active labor, and I really tried to work with my contractions. I'm proud that I made it as far as I did, and without any pain meds to boot! I really don't think there was anything more I could have done to progress further, except to continue to labor until I passed out from exhaustion. I think we made the right call on the c-section when we decided to go ahead with it, and I am not left with any of the doubts and misgivings I had after the birth of my first son. Most importantly, I have a beautiful healthy son as the result of all my hard work.

    Hanging out with big brother:

    Crashed out on Daddy's lap:
    DS Jacob 12/12/06
    DS Nathaniel 6/5/08

  3. #23


    Monday night, Gwyn decided that she didn't need to sleep in her bed and I was up until around 4:30 putting her back in bed over and over . I wonder if she knew something was up cause at 7:00, after just a few hours of sleep, I woke up to a contraction! I had been having regular strong but painless contx all day Monday, but this one was different and I knew the moment I felt it that this was the real thing! I lay in bed for a few moments and within minutes had another, and then another, and then another! I thought "WOW 4 in a row so close!" and then "Boy do I need to PEE!" lol. When I got up, I realized I was laying in a small puddle and hurried to the bathroom. When I sat down, there was a definite gush of fluid and I knew my water had broken. WOOHOO! I was really in labor!!! If you remember, my doc had said I had a better chance of winning the lottery than going into labor. Well I woke up hubby and told him he needed to go buy a lottery ticket! I was very surprised at how fast everything was happening. I know for many women, and especially a first labor, contx start out slow, but mine were 2-3 minutes apart from the get-go . Strong enough to need to breath and hold the walls, but not so intense that I felt she was going to come at any moment. We called my mom to come get Gwyn for us. Mom was to stay with us during labor, but I needed her first to take Gwyn to my friend's house who had agreed to watch her for the duration. Well, after 3 hours of contx getting stronger and stronger and all at 2-3 minutes apart for around a minute each, my mom and hubby were both telling me I needed to get myself to the hospital ASAP!! I still didn't feel they were strong enough at that point for me to need to go so soon, but had to agree that as close as they were, it was better safe than delivered on the road on the way there! I couldn't stop laughing all the way to the hospital lol. I can't describe how happy I was to be in labor FINALLY!
    So we got to the hospital around 10:00 after hubby ran a few red lights lol. He was so funny. He parked at the loading zone for the maternity ward and ran inside. Apparently he told the first nurse he saw that I was in the car having a baby right NOW!! After being admitted and changing into the gorgeous gowns they provide and filling out all the paperwork, they hoked me up to all the monitors. The nurses said that once I was all set up, I could get up and move about my room, sit on my ball, etc, but they first had to make sure they had everything in place so they could see the contx and baby's HB while I labored. I tell you, the HOUR that I was strapped to that bed was the worst hour of labor. I honestly enjoyed every minute of labor before and after, but while on that bed, I was writhing in pain! The doc checked me and I was at 3-4 cm and 80%. So I was pretty happy; 3-4 hours of labor and 3-4 cm dilated, I knew I was on the right track and that everything was going to be fine! I spent the next 5 hours rocking and rolling and bouncing on my ball and just having a good old time. I found it interesting that sometimes it felt better to lean into them and sometimes it was better away. Other times, I would go back and forth and then others, around in circles. I breathed and "oh'd" and "ah'd" and "mmm'd" . Every time I had one that was really strong, I would say that I was having a good one. Mom kept me laughing and the nurses must have thought I was nuts cause we were giggling every time they came in.
    When the doc came in to check on me, he asked "How are the contx? Pretty bad?"
    "Oh they're pretty good" I said.
    "So pretty bad huh?"
    "No they're pretty good actually." See, I knew that attitude was so much a part of it and if I thought of them as BAD contx, then they would be, but if they were GOOD contx, then I would be better. He really annoyed me at how negative he was.
    So he checked me (ugh, back in the dreaded bed again) and I was still at 3-4 and she was still high. So he said that he needed to do the csec. He said he had let me go for 5 hours of labor and no progress when usually they don't let you go for more than 2 hours without progress and of course I couldn't have pitocin (which I didn't want anyways) but he had let me go for 5 with no progress (as if he had been checking all along) and it was time for him to step in and take her. Now, for one thing, since he hadn't checked me in 5 hours, that pi$$ed me off at him more than I already was. So since I had labored in the same manor, on my ball, for the whole of that 5 hours, I said, well how about I get up and walk around a bit instead and see if that makes any difference. See, in my mind, I was handling the contx just fine and they were getting stronger and stronger and if I hadn't progressed doing one thing, then I should change and do another. After all, when most women are admitted, if they are barely dilated, what else are they told to do to help dilate, but WALK? He started fighting with me, huffing and puffing and scolding me that what good did I think walking was going to do if I wasn't progressing. He was really stressing me out and pi$$ing me off. "I just don't think you're going to deliver this baby!" he says. "It's just not going to happen". So I said "Well this time yesterday you didn't think I was going to go into labor either." Back and forth we went. I just didn't see what harm it would be to let me walk. After all, what was 1 more hour of labor really after I had just had 8? And then if walking didn't do any good, then I might be willing to consider other means. Well, all the stress and fighting with him didn't just affect me, but it also must have affected Abigayle, cause her heart rate dropped. It went into the 60's and stayed there. So then he flipped out. Started talking anesthesia and we need to take this baby NOW. Baby is stressed, mom's not progressing, she needed to be delivered STAT.

    Her heart rate scared me. It wasn't going back up and I knew that was bad. I had gotten to labor. I had a healthy baby at the moment and I didn't want to risk her health when something was wrong. I gave in. Ok, I said, just please don't put me under, just use the spinal. I begged and since her heart rate did pick up in the OR, they gave me the spinal. I reminded them that I wanted to bfeed and asked that she be brought to me in the recovery room and no bottles. I don't know if it was just because it was an emergency csec, or if it was because it was my second, or if it was because I had dared to defy the doctor, but this time, it was so very different from my first. No csec is a walk in the park, but in comparison, my first was a breeze. This one felt so different! I kept feeling like I was getting electric shocks or something. It was weird and unpleasant.

    At last she was born! Abigayle Janette M came into the world at 3:32 on June 10th weighing in at 9lbs, 9oz and measuring 21 1/2inches long! Her head was 13 1/2 inches and her chest was 15 inches!! I got to touch her and kiss her as they stitched me up. As per my request, she was brought right to me in recovery and she latched on and has been nursing like crazy ever since!! Her mouth is kind of small, and she likes to cluster feed, so I've been having some problems teaching her to latch properly. And with the pain meds, I haven't always noticed if she wasn't, so she gave me a blister the first day, but with lanolin, that went away. We're both learning! (lol yes I know I've been doing this for 2 years and I teach bfing classes, but it's still a matter of learning eachother ) .

    So, I'm thrilled that I got to labor, sad that I had to have a csec, but glad that I didn't have to try to deliver such a large baby! As mad as I was at the doc for the way that he handled me, I am glad that I had the csec because I know she would have gotten stuck and I would have ended up with a much more emergency csec than the one I had. She is healthy and perfect and so good and I am in love with my baby girl!

  4. #24
    Posting Addict scrapangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Colleen Rose's birth story

    Okay ladies I am going to apologize in advance because this is a birth/post birth thru surgery story so it is going to be long. So here goes:

    Starting the last week of May I started to have fairly consistant contractions that were too far apart to worry about but they continued for weeks. Well on June 2nd, we went down to Cincinnati for a consent meeting and some presurgery testing. After that we went back to my father's house to get the kids and the contractions were every 5 minutes. Well we ended up in the hospital to get checked and since I was not dialated yet they wanted to hold me off until the June 5th c-section so they sent me home with some meds to stop the contractions. And overall it worked.

    June 4th, the hubby and I came down to cincy, leaving our kids in Dayton with grandma to get ready for the c-section. June 5th we get to the hospital at 5:45am and they check me in. Then it is IV time which they had a hard time putting in. Then the waiting started. Finally around 7:45am they took me down to the cath lab to have the c-section. They put me on the table and right before they give me the spinal/epidural they gave me something to "relax me". Well that something to "relax me" made it hard for me to stay awake so I was not happy about that. With the spinal/epidural it HURT so very bad. Bad enough that i screamed out 3 different times. If felt like they were trying to go all the way through my bone. But eventually they got it in.

    So down I go, the drape is put up and my hubby is brought in to be by my head. It actually was not long before they started cutting and about 10 minutes later my little girl joined this world screaming. At 8:45am. They pulled the drape down so we could see her and then she was taken to the other room to have stuff done.

    They closed me up and sent me back to my room where I passed out for a little bit because of the stuff they gave me. Well after several hours, yes i said hours, the one doc came in. And he was very honest with us. This was the first piece of hard news. He told us that once she was taken to the other room, she coded. She stopped breathing and her heart stopped. It took them 5 minutes to get her back. Once she was back they did the septostomy to make the one part of her heart bigger. The way they explained it to us is that at that point in time she really only had 3 chambers in her heart but that would be fixed in the open heart surgery. So they saved out daughter's life for the first time. Once he left we had a big cry and were very scared and nervous about how things were going to work out.

    Well they got my daughter settled into her CICU room and my hubby was able to go see her. He came back with pictures. Then later that evening they let me get into a wheelchair so that I could see her with my own eyes. That was great but scary as well. She was very bloated and just looked sick.

    Okay the whole day of my c-section they would not let me have anything except ice chips and water. That is important for the next part. The whole day they had me check my sugars several times a day to make sure it was okay. Well at one point it hit the 60s so they gave me some sugar water in my IV and thought I would be fine. Around 1030pm i finally decide to try and sleep for the night and hit my pain button and go to sleep. Now I do not remember much until about 1am. Here is what happened according to my husband:

    The nurse came in about 11:45pm or so to check my vitals and looked at me and decided to check my sugar. Well they tried to wake me and I would not respond. They checked my sugar and it was at 27. So they upped what they were giving me in the IV but it was not working quick enough. this whole time they were talking to me trying to get me to answer questions. They got me to drink 2 things of apple juice and I started to answer questions but i still did not know where I was or why I was there. They gave me some milk to drink and then thinks started to get less fuzzy. Finally I was able to tell them where I was and I knew that Colleen had been born. From that point on they let me have some juice to drink and they watched my numbers climb back up to the 70s which was much better. It took them about an hour or so to get me to come around. My poor husband was so scared because when your sugar gets that low, it is very bad. The next day I was able to eat so never had any more issues with my blood sugar.

    Okay back to the baby. at this time I start to move around on my own and we go to see the baby as often as we can. Well she looked much better the next several days. She had a few issues with her circulation which was to be expected. as well as she hated having the breathing tube in but she did really well. They were able to take her off a bunch of the medications that they had her on to start with. I will spare you the boring and even longer play by play of those things.

    So June 10th comes around and at this point in time we still had yet to hold her. They were going to try to let us hold her before her surgery but it just did not happen. But we got to the hospital about 6:15am to spend some time with her before her open heart surgery. then one of the toughest moments came when they came to get her for her surgery. We were able to walk down with her to the OR but had to say goodbye. Let me tell you that was the hardest thing becuase there was a chance we would not see her alive again. We went to the waiting room where they put us in our own private room.

    In this private room we got a phone call when they actually started the surgery and then we had hourly updates from one of the Nurse practioners. They were all very positive. She did really well on the heart/lung by pass machine. Then the first great news was that they had taken her off the by pass machine and she was doing well. Then at the end of the surgery she had a little bleed that the doc had to fix which took a little time but he got it fixed. In all she was in the OR for a total of about 5 1/2 hours. When the doc came in to talk to us he told us that everything went very smoothly and that she was doing great.

    Back to waiting. We had to wait until they got her back into CICU room before we could see her again. That took about 2 1/2 hours from the time she was out of surgery to the time we were able to see her again. This time she was back on a huge amount of meds and had more wires and tubes coming out of her. It was sort of scary to see her that way but we knew it had to be done. They told us the next 12 hours were the part we needed to get past. They had saved her life for the second time.

    The day after surgery they were already getting her off some of the meds. And the second day after surgery they took out a IV that was in her heart as well as her chest tubes. Then the next thing to come out was her breathing tube. She did so great with breathing on her own. She never once had to be bagged or anything after that tube was out. Then the third day after surgery they were taking her off a bunch more meds. By day 4 after surgery she was doing really good that they took out the pace wires they had put in just in case they needed them as well as the heart IV they had in. She was ready to go to the step down unit. but even before that, we were finally able to hold our baby girl.

    Day 5 after surgery she was in the step down unit where she had only monitors on and no more groups of IVs. She was able to be fed by a bottle and held whenever we wanted to hold her.

    Once she was in the step down unit all they needed her to do is get the hang of feeding from a bottle and taking at least 45ccs by mouth each feeding before they would let her go. She did this the first day so we were released much earlier than we thought we would.

    I do have to say that even the doctors said that she was a miracle baby. And that is just great to hear.

    I will post pictures once they are moved to a place where I can access them.

    Thanks for reading, sorry so long.

    Now for pictures:
    Right after birth (she is swollen because of Congestive Heart Failure)

    Here she is after having the septostomy

    Two days after surgery, after they took her off the ventilator (7 days old)

    First time I got to hold her (8 days old)

    At home, finally, just about 2 weeks old:
    Last edited by scrapangel; 01-07-2009 at 09:35 PM.

    Check out my Etsy Store at www.meadowrosedesigns.etsy.com

  5. #25
    Posting Addict SummerTan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006


    Last edited by SummerTan; 01-03-2010 at 06:09 PM.

  6. #26
    Super Poster ErinBecca04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Kansas City


    June 3, 08...

    I wake up at 5am...nothing out of the ordinary. Finally the c-section date! Jon and I sit around talking til 7:15 and decide to head toward the hospital. (My reg. ob told us we should get there by . My phone rings while we're on the way to the hospital. Its one of my nurses asking if they're going to see me today. I tell em that we're on our way. I thought it was kind of odd, but we go on our way. Get there and upstairs well before 8. The nurses are running around like crazy women. Apparently we were supposed to be there at 7. oops

    So one nurse is doing stuff on my right side, asking me last minute questions and stuff. The nurse on the left is putting in my IV. Now I have horrible veins. I told her which vein to use, but apparently she thought she knew better. She had the turniquet on my arm for almost 20 minutes. I couldnt feel my hand by the time she got the IV in. Luckily I was looking in the other direction, because my BF tells me that there was blood all over the place when she was finally done. They make me drink some citric acid crap...not giving me enough time to tell them that I'm allergic to it. Supposedly it was to help with nausea.

    I meet the rest of the team that I hadn't already met with. And a paramedic student asked if he could watch my c-section. He was a really sweet kid. He came into my room, talked with my family for a lil bit and told me how much he appreciated me allowing him to be in the room.

    So a lil bit after 9 I'm rolled off to the OR. I'm leaning on Jon (DBF) for them to do my spinal block. Let me tell you, that was interesting. The doc puts it in and I feel electricity down my left leg. I jumped about a foot off the table. Once I settled down, he adjusted it and I layed down. Getting prepped for surgery was the oddest feeling ever. It felt like someone was rubbing lightly on my stomach the whole time.

    My DBF was the greatest all through surgery. He was the designated puke bucket guy. Although I didn't need it then. heh. And he talked to me through most of the surgery. Til Max arrived screaming! He asked me if it was okay to go see the baby. I told him that it was but only if he took pictures. As soon as Jon left...I threw up. Luckily a nurse caught it in time so that it didn't land on my hair!

    Max Aaron was born at 9:54 am. Weighing in at 7lbs 8oz. He was 20 inches long. He peed on the nurse as soon as she layed him down.

    I fell asleep while they were putting me back together! The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Til Jon fell off a curb that night and spent the next day in the ER getting xrays on his hip, knee, and ankle. He hurt his hip pretty badly. But everything else is okay.

    Friday before we were released, I was diagnosed with MRSA. So the hospital put me in isolation for the last two hours I was there. My wonderful nurse kept telling me that it was so pointless for her to have to put on a gown and gloves and a mask every time she came in...since she'd been around me for three days already. But she was great about it.

  7. #27
    Prolific Poster ARIEL_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Las Vegas


    Planned C-section 6-17-08 8:30am

    Arrived at hospital 6:30am, with DH and my mom. Mom had to stay in the waiting room but 'wanted to be there'

    Checked in, put on monitor. Nurse said to me: 'do you realize you are in active labor? Contractions about 4 minutes apart?' I nodded through a contraction. (Good thing I was there, otherwise I would have ended up being there later that day I'm sure...) put in IV, paperwork, three anti-nausea medicines. Anesthesiologist came in and explained his part of the process. Doctor called: running late....
    GRRR not only am I really anxious to meet her but the contractions sucked...

    Now I must stop here to point out I have known since my first Dr. appointment that it would be a c-section. I have known for years that I have an off-centered cervix (part of it is positioned over my pelvis) and my doctor noted I had a REALLY small pelvic bone, (which probably could have been overcome, but not the cervix thing). ANYWAY... I have come to terms with it. I read up on it, I studied it, I asked questions. I was prepared.

    So I got rolled into the OR about 9am. DH in his smurf outfit had to wait just outside the door, looking through a window at me. Anesthesiologist told me to swing my legs over table and started spinal. Annoying pin pricks, then shooting pain down my left leg. I cried. He tried again, MASSIVE pain in my back, more pain in my legs. I was yelping. I was sobbing. I looked up at DH through the window in the door and saw his heart breaking, wishing he could hold me. IT SUCKED. Now each of the attempts took three sticks. one to numb the topical area, one a little deeper into my spine and then the the real needle which was suppose to find the right nerve and put my legs to sleep. It was always that third needle that missed where it was going. My BP dropped really low, I got really nasueas, had to get some other kind of drug, it was all really bad. At some point my OB came in the room and asked if everything was alright. Anesthesiologist said he was having trouble spreading my vertebrae. And then he said 'I'll try one more time'
    My initial (internal) reaction was: OR WHAT? I'll be pregnant forever? You'll just let her grow in my for 18 years? Then I remembered one of the papers I had to sign, the permission for general if it became necessary. I DID NOT want to be sleeping when my daughter was born, so I sucked it up, arched my back the best that I could grabbed on tight to the nurse and let him at it. IT worked. As he laid me down I asked 'how many did that take' his response: about 7. 7 times 3 sticks each= 21 needles in my spine. Also as he laid me down I caught a glimpse at the clock: 9:30. 30 freakin minutes.
    Dr came in, curtain went up, DH came in, they started, or so they told me. Anesthesiologist stood by my head and told me I would feel some pressure, and was explaining to me what was going on. I did not feel a thing. Nothing at all. I told Anesthesiologist EXACTLY how I was feeling the whole time and he would give me something to fix it. Immediate gratification. I have a headache, here... take some of this, headache gone before I could finish my sentence. Same thing with Nausea. ANYWAY then I here:
    She's out
    Another Gemini
    Then I heard her cry.
    Then I cried.
    They showed her to me, then cleaned her up, showed her to me again, and her and DH left the room.
    Then I had an anxiety attack. A bad one. I told the Anesthesiologist 'Something is wrong, something is very very wrong. I can't breath, I can't see, I can't...something is wrong. Its all I could get out. So he said 'I'm going to put you on some oxygen'. The next thing I remember he said 'they are going to start with the staples' and I heard the first staple thought it sounded like a desk mate stapler and then...... I heard they were done. I asked about her apgars 9 & 9, then I asked about her sugar level (Cause of the GD). PERFECT!

    I got rolled to recovery where DH came in for about 15 minutes then left to go get baby and bring her to me.
    I nursed immediately. She latched right on, perfect latch. I had to get DH to take her from me after a few minutes though cause I was pretty weak. They told me I was going to stay in recovery for another 45 minutes then I would go to my room.
    They were right, I was rolled out, baby rolling behind me through the waiting room so my mom, sister and brother could see us both. Once in my real room they asked me to move beds I was like' I CAN'T USE MY LEGS'
    Nurse and DH helped but I did most of the moving myself. Which lead to me throwing my shoulder out. AWESOME.
    Recovery actually went pretty well. I was eating that night, peeing first thing next morning, nursing every 2 hours, got up and moved around ASAP!
    Got to come home 2 days later cause we were both doing so well.

    There is my story.... Thanks for reading!

    TickerShack.com Ticker


  8. #28
    Posting Addict OneLuckyScoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Central FL


    This needs to be updated big time =)

    eScential Scentsy Consultant: http://youneedmore.scentsy.us
    Mom to Carli [6/12/08] & Katelyn [7/13/10]
    Wellreadreviews.com - A book review blog.

  9. #29
    Supporter sera_phim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Kent, UK


    Edward's birth story: The short version (for now)

    On June 15th while having a mini birthday celebration at my parents house I had a show, completely out of the blue. I was shocked but not really expecting anything because women have them all the time without actually being in labour. However I did actually start having notable contractions so thought 'what if this is it?'

    My SO was away seeing TNA Wresting live so I waited until he was home at about 9pm before going to hospital to check things out with him. Sure enough I was in labour and dilated to 2cm. They managed to take some bloods from me (first EVER bloods, my whole life!) with the help of much calming gas & air, then I was sent home just past midnight.

    I slept on and off for about 2 hours before I just couldn't sleep anymore, so around 7am I finally gave in and went to try the good old bath technique, which didn't work for me at all.

    By 10am my mum was over my place and we all decided to go back to the hospital so I could get some pain relief, since I have a very low pain tolerance. My mum was planning on just going up there with us incase they sent me home again, since we don't have a car she would need to give me a lift.

    I was there for about 10 minutes on a monitor for contractions and LO's heartbeat before the midwife left the room and came back with a doctor. He took one look and left the room for a few moments before coming back with a hole team of people and the words 'Emergency C-section' were thrown out there.

    I was shocked and surprised and utterly petrified, my SO looked like he was going to faint and my mum was holding him up but crying. Everything after that is a blur because my brain has blocked it out (mostly) and the next thing I remember is waking up shivering but feeling too hot, though they insisted I was too cold and needed more covering.

    My baby had been taken to ICU because he had swallowed his first poo and I had no idea of this until a little while later when my SO actually told me what was wrong. Nice of the doctors NOT to tell me.

    I'm going to skip over all the trauma of the first couple of days of recovery, but it wasn't until 4 days after my baby was born that I actually got to be with him. I bonded instantly and I'm so glad of that, but I still feel like something was taken away from me by the whole experience, like I'm missing something quite important, but I try not to dwell on it since all that matters is that my LO is here now and he is well. (And such a very very well behaved little boy)
    Edward - Born June 16th 2008

    Heather Graham.

  10. #30
    Prolific Poster WhitneyLynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    In my world everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies



    Hey Ladies!

    well I'm very happy to introduce you all to our new daughter!

    Mackenzie Grace L.
    7lbs 15oz
    21 in
    June 25 2008 7:57pm

    we went into the hospital at 1pm and doc broke my water and contrax picked up around 1:30....
    family showed up around 2pm and I was still in good spirits talking and laughing but starting to have to breath thru contrax but they were still not terrible. I got hungry and had DH go to the vending machine and get me a candy bar ( )

    3pm contrax started getting pretty bad and I was moaning/breathing thru them. My friend Rhonda who is training to be a doula was there massaging my feet and rubbing my back thru contrax and I was trying to catch little bits of a nap between contrax
    4:30 family left to go get some food and DH took Maddie out for a walk so it was just me Rhonda and my friend Megan hanging out watching "fools gold" and timing contrax (about 5 mins apart)

    this is where things get fuzzy for me so I may be leaving some stuff out....

    roughly 45 mins after family left to eat the contrax suddenly started coming hard and fast and I was having a hard time holding it together. My nurse decided to check me. I hadn't been checked since 1pm and now I think it was about 5:45 give or take. She checks and looks up at me. I fully expected her to say "your about a 6" but instead she smiled and says "well sweetie your 9"
    I remember thinking " no freakin way" and I know I asked her "so then an epidural is out of the question then?" she laughed and said yes
    mentally I started freaking out a little then thinking that the pain was getting to be to much and that I couldn't do this. My nurse Jan offered me some pain meds thru my iv ( i think it was phenegren?) it took the edge off and I was able to relax and labor for about half an hour. The meds started to wear off and so jan gave me another dose. She came up to the edge of the bed to let me know that her shift was ending and she would be going home. then she looked me in the eye and said "you can do this! you were made to do this. Your transitioning and its going to get really hard but dont give up because I know you can do this!"
    As soon as she walked out the door my new nurse comes running in flips me onto my left side and slaps an oxygen mask on me. "baby isnt dealing well with contrax"
    meds started wearing off and I was having a really hard time I started begging my nurse for meds. She said she needed to check me then she would give me meds.
    she checked me and I was complete and baby was right there!
    At this point I began to flip out...looking back on it I'm a little embarrassed I was begging like a child for meds and crying. meanwhile my body went on autopilot and began pushing

    lights turned on and docs come running in and my nurse is telling me to breath. All the sudden I realized Im having this baby right now and I'm going to feel it all so I better get with it and pay attention!
    She started to crown and "the ring of fire" really caught me by surprise! I screamed and tried to continue pushing. I hear my nurse say "doctor colberg we are down to 50" and I realize they are talking about baby's heart rate and I look up at the doctor. "cord wrapped once around the neck" he says and they tell me to stop pushing. She was sunny side up and doc got the cord off her neck and turned her.
    "one good push! baby has to come out now!" The sense of relief after she came out was immediate! DH cut the cord they announced she was a girl and whisked her away. I caught a glimpse of her she was blue and not crying. I waited and finally she let out the biggest cry and they brought her to me! I was in love! She even had a full head of dark beautiful brown hair!

    I never thought I would have a baby without an epidural but having done it I can say I feel great and will never forget how wonderful it was even thru the pain!

    okay okay pictures!

    Maddie meeting Mackenzie for the first time

    Last edited by WhitneyLynn; 06-28-2008 at 10:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions