February 2009 Cupcakes Birth Stories!

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kendra78's picture
Last seen: 6 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/07/07
Posts: 10
February 2009 Cupcakes Birth Stories!

Congrats new mamas! Please post your birth stories here!

evilbabypenguin's picture
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 11/01/06
Posts: 6

should we have a new thread also listing just arrivals? or could we put them in this post (if you're up to it?)

I could turn the EDD list into an arrivals thread as they 'transform' Blum 3

Kendra78's picture
Last seen: 6 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/07/07
Posts: 10

Hmmm...well, on my December 07 BB, the EDD list was just kind of transformed into the Arrivals list as the babies came.

evilbabypenguin's picture
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 11/01/06
Posts: 6

Then i'd better get crackin! Biggrin

My May 07 BB did it differently.. this is why i never assume. Smile

evilbabypenguin's picture
Last seen: 6 years 9 months ago
Joined: 11/01/06
Posts: 6


JenG2002's picture
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 01/03/08
Posts: 13

Well, we went in on Monday (1-19-09) at midnight to start the induction. When we got to the hospital they said, "Did the manager not call you? You're suppose to be here at 5am." I said, "No, no one called me. But I have to have 2 rounds of antibiotics, so I have to be here at midnight." Finally, they got everything straightened out (the orders were written, but not where they usually were at) and we got up the L&D at 1am. When we walked in I was immediately at ease because one of the nurses i worked with in the ER was working L&D that night, so i knew she would help us out if we needed anything.

My nurse came in immediately (loved her) and started my IV. She used a little shot of lidocaine to numb my hand (tiny burn) and i didn't feel the IV at all. It was great She started my first dose of antibiotics at 1:30am, with a bag of LR and asked if i needed something to help me sleep. Nah, I was exhausted, i didn't need any help... well, i got about an hour that night. She started the next dose at 5am.

She said the doctor wanted the pitocin started with the 2nd dose of antibiotics I was expecting to have to wait until the doctor did her rounds to start anything. So, at 5am she checked me and I was 4cm dialated. Yay! Throughout the next couple of hours, my contractions were getting stronger.

At 9am, the morning nurse asked if i wanted my epidural yet ( i had to sign up for it in advance). I looked at DH and he shook his head yes I agreed, I had felt contractions long enough, it wasn't fun anymore. So the nurse checked me again before the epi, and I was 5cm. So i got my epi, ugh, weirdest feeling ever. My legs got hot, tingly, and heavy so i knew it was working. Pretty soon though, I realized that the right side of my body was EXTREMELY numb, but i could feel contractions on the left side. She also broke my water after my epidural, and i flooded the place, LOL.

At 10:30, the nurse came in to check me again and i was 10cm. WHAT?? I didn't even really have time to enjoy my epidural!!! She said well, I'm going to call the doctor now. So the dr came over and we started pushing. I still had a small anterior lip of cervix but she thought i could push through it. Well, since I couldnt feel anything, I couldn't push through it. So the dr said she would come back in an hour and we would try again.

So, at noon my Dr came back. The lip was almost gone. I told them, "Alright, I'm not playing around this time. I mean business!" After about 10 minutes of pushing, Mason was born. She put him on my belly, DH got to cut the cord. It was absolutely perfect. His apgar's were 8 and 9. I had no tearing, and no episiotomy.

The only thing that has bothered me has been my tailbone, but it was broken before. He has been a great baby, but we are having some BF'ing issues. He has a bottle after we nurse, i guess he is a little piggy.

Mason Barrett G*****
7lbs 14oz
@12:25pm, 1-20-09
38 weeks


Muddee's picture
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 03/13/08
Posts: 2119

Wednesday January 21

I got up and there was blood in my mucus, I spent the morning in L&D and at the end of the day was told I had lost my mucus plug and to come in Sunday morning for another exam at the hospital with my OB. All bleeding cleared up by Thursday morning.

Sunday January 25

10:00 AM - I showed up at the hospital and checked in, they promptly sent me to a birthing room and told me to change into the hospital robes then hooked me up to monitors. Baby was sounding great, I was not contracting but my blood pressure which was high for the past 6 weeks sky rocketed 150/105. Two things would be done to get my BP in check, first I was given heart medicine and second my water would be broken so I could have the baby and get my BP in control.

1:00 PM - My doctor was very busy so it took him till this time to break my water, he determined that I was 3cm and 25% effaced. I was then instructed to walk around to try and start labor, during 3 hours of walking I started having alot of contractions close together, I couldn't walk one circle of the hall without having to stop. I was getting tired.

4:00 PM - I laid down for a bit and got something light to eat, I was feeling horrible. All contractions stopped, so I decided it was time to walk some more, I walked for another hour but couldn't do it anymore, and the contractions weren't coming back.

5:00 PM - I was checked again, still 3cm but I was now 75% effaced, I really felt like I wasn't progressing, and I was really tired of walking. My doctor and I determined that I would be given pitocin to speed things up but he had to attend another delivery first.

8:00 PM - My nurse, started setting everything up, filled out paperwork and went over protocols, checking to see if I wanted any drugs, we decided to play it by ear, as things progressed.

9:00 PM - Pitocin was started, and almost instantly it started working I was feeling contractions, every one hurt pretty bad, but they got worse as the hour wore on.

9:45 PM - I was asking for a Demerol, so the nurse checked me I was 5cm and fully effaced, I couldn't have any drugs because I would be delivering soon, so the doctor recommended Nitrixoxide. Didn't like the hazy feeling it left me with for a few moments but it helped me through the pain.

10:00 PM - I felt alot of pressure in my vaginal region, and sure enough I was fully dialated! The doctors and nurses rushed about getting everything ready.

10:15 PM - After two good pushes, my baby girl Natalie entered the world.

Natalie Rose - Shortly after birth

Mom & Baby - Shortly after birth

Dana (DD1) & Natalie (DD2) - One day after birth

Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/02/06
Posts: 98

Well I've finally decided to sit down and type up the story of Liam's Birth:

As some of you may recall I was starting to head towards Preeclamsia so the drs decided an induction was the best route for us before it got to that point.

So after my 24 hour urine drop, the dr called me at 3:30 Wednesday and said he'd meet me at the hospital at 6:30am to break my water the next day. I was exactly 38 weeks.

Once we arrived at the hospital bright and early the dr finally got there around 7, which was perfect timing because the nurse got my IV in and all the questioning done.

He broke my water which was nice and clear and checked me, I was having minor contractions and they started the pitocin at 2. I was still between 2-3 and about 90% effaced.

I have to add that the water breaking was TOTALLY not what I was expecting. I was expecting ONE gush and that'd be it. Little did I know that I'd have to lay there with the water coming out in small and big gushes with any movement--big or small. The nurse had to constantly change the pad and sheets under me. It was GROSS.:puke2: Definitely the worst of the induction.:confused:

At around 10:30 I got the epidural (which I was deathly afraid of due to a bad experience with a spinal tap I had a few years back). The epidural went in smoothly. While it took awhile for me to get to that "feel great" stage, the pressure was much better than the pain and it was very tolerable.

Things continued to progress at the same pace, every thing was good.

Around 4, I was 8cm and a thin lip of cervix was there, my dr and nurse kept coming in and whispering and leaving and coming back.

I didn't know what was happening so I finally asked the nurse. She said the babies heart rate was decelarrating and instead of coming right back after the contraction was over it was staying low (70s-80s) for a minute or two. The drs said the baby wasn't tolerating the labor and an emergency c-section must be done.

I was crying. A c-section was my worst fear. I wanted my dh and my mom to experience the birth and with a c-section they wouldn't be able to. I know it was selfish, but I just felt robbed of the whole birthing experience, first being induced and second now a c-section.

So they took out the internal monitors (heart rate and contractions) and I got the stronger epi for the c-section. Every thing else was disconnected and as I was being wheeled out (literally) I heard my drs arguing in the hallway with another man. I asked the nurse what was going on and she said my dr booked the OR but another dr said his case was more severe.

A few mins later the dr came in and explained since my LOs heart rate stablized after the pitocin was pulled he went ahead and let the other lady go ahead of me. It was supposed to be 25 minutes and ended up being an hour. When the dr came in to say it was time I asked him to check me again just in case because I was feeling a lot more pressure. He did, and sure enough the baby had dropped from -2 station to 0 so I was almost ready, plus I was a good 9cm. They agreed to start the pitocin again and see what happened but warned me if the heart rate dropped it would be no option, a c-section would be done STAT.

At this time it had been two and a half hours since the c-section epi had been placed and it was wearing off fast. I was feeling every contraction. They put in another order for the anethes. While I was waiting for her to come back up, I felt this urge to use the bathroom. I was literally convinced I had to go #2. I know this is a common sign of labor, but I didn't go the bathroom before my induction or the day before (nerves!) and was convinced I just REALLY had to go to the bathroom. The nurses wouldn't give me a bed pan and just said GO we'll change you if needed but we're sure it's the baby. I wasn't convinced and started to just try to go and the nurses said see it was just the pressure of the baby. So at 7pm, I began to push. At 7:15 the nurse said she'd call the dr that I was beginning to crown. She said he was 5 mins away and would be here and ready within 10 mins. LORD was this horrible. She stopped me from pusing and it was torture. I just wanted, no I NEEDED, I HAD to push!!!!! But the nurse wouldn't let me. At 7:40 the dr walked in and I screamed (well said loudly), "I'm pushing NOW." He laughed and told me to have at it. I pushed with the next contraction (forgot to mention, I never did get another dose of epi so I was feeling it ALL). And as the dr was suiting and scrubbing up, all of a sudden I felt a release of pressure and my dh hit the dr on his arm yelling, "Hey his head's coming out, he's gonna fall out". The dr. laughed, turned around and I pushed one last time and out he came.

I don't think the dr. thought my DH was literally speaking, but I guess he was because according to my mom and DH it was like as soon as the dr put his hands up I pushed and my baby was out. Amazing.

SO, that's the birth story...

Liam Preston
5lbs 7oz
17 3/4 inches (hospital measured him at 18.5 but ped. measured him at that and I did too)
APGAR 8, 9, 10 (yayy!)

Just born-

My baby burrito

My first good look, don't mind the tears---

Getting ready to go home--didn't like all the clothes he had to wear, lol

Carride home-

min150mph's picture
Last seen: 5 years 4 months ago
Joined: 09/08/07
Posts: 72
Jessica Ann - born 2/1/09

Saturday I was feeling pretty good at 36w3d. Spent most of the day outside (beautiful day in the low 70's and sunny) priming some shelves for the baby's room with lots of breaks in between. DH went to Houston to drop off his mustang at a shop to get it running. He got home and went and picked us up some catfish dinners. We ate. I took a shower and used the bathroom and found the mucous plug. Went back to just relaxing on the couch and watching "Under the Tuscan Sun" on TV. Right before 9pm I got up to use the bathroom and felt a small leak. Thought I'd peed on my self.

Took a few more steps and I was soaked. DH is sitting right in front of me and I go my water broke. He says "just don't stand there" I'm like I don't want it to get all over. Get me a towel. He does. I go to the bathroom and he brings my cell phone to call the doctor. I find I have some bloody show now. Nurse on call returns the call and says to go to the hospital. We start getting things loaded into the truck. Car seat not installed yet, my bag and the baby's bag both packed, except we forgot my meds since they couldn't be packed a head. DH packs stuff for a couple of days and off we go. I sit on a towel and wearing a mega sized pad (should have used a diaper). We get to the hospital an hour and a half later, me leaking all the way up to the L&D. We get there and puts us in a room and says they need to check that I didn't just pee on myself. I'm sure I didn't and they say we still have to check. Yup membranes ruptured so now I'm getting all hooked up to machines and people coming in and out. Finger tip dilated and soft cervix.

The NST says I have contractions, but I can't feel any. Told nothing will happen tonight so to just settle in and try to sleep. Easier said than done with the hard cot that is the delivery bed and things strapped to your tummy which gave me a rash so I ended up with pillow cases strapped around me to avoid the rash. Nurses must have been bored as they were in every hour as well to check on things. No sleep at all.

Sunday morning I had regular contractions coming closer (5 min apart) and still not feeling them and no change in dilation. 12hrs after my water broke so they start pitocen to get me to dilate. At some point during the night they put in cervadil as well to see if that would help get things going. Well with pitocen I start feeling the contractions and go to 2-3cm. Then the contractions starts to become unbearable around 12pm and around 2pm I’m getting a Epi as contractions are 2 min apart and killing me and my back and no more dilation. Ahhh talk about relief although right side wasn’t as strong and I had to lay on that side to keep it numb.

They turned pitocen up to max and at 6pm nothing had changed. My OB said she was afraid of that. My utuerus shape even though contracting wasn’t doing it correctly so she suggested we’d do a c-section. We were ready. DH asked if he had time to take a shower. He did while they prepped me. Put in new IV and another in case I needed blood. Upped the epi. DH came in and they started. He held my hands and kissed on me.

Then the OB told him do you have the camera, and about that time I felt the baby being removed and we heard a cry. He stood up and took a pic and OB asked him what is it? He answers it is a girl. I cry happy tears and DH comforts me. They take her away along with daddy and start putting me together. I kept feeling nauseous when they pushed on the upper part of my stomach. Anesthesiologist was awesome in keeping me comforted during that even though I would have preferred DH. Then they lowered the sheet and my OB told me she had to do a vertical cut on the uterus due to me having bloodvessels where there weren’t supposed to be any along with my bladder being fused to my uterus. So if we ever have children again I’ll have to have a scheduled c-section. I couldn’t care less at that point. Just wanted to see my baby. They did wrap her up and let me see her and touch her while I was in there according to DH, but I don’t remember.

She also had a cone head when born due to trying to get out normally, but being stuck in my pubic bone. Turns out c-section were the best choice for us after all.

The stats: Jessica Ann G. Born 2/1/09 at 7:04pm CST, 6lbs 9 oz, and 20.5 in long.

Mitzi3835's picture
Last seen: 7 years 1 month ago
Joined: 06/25/08
Posts: 3
Reagan Leo came 1/30/09

So I was induced Friday morning because they thought baby Reagan was big. We came in to the hospital at 6:00 and the first thing, they started pitocin, then broke my water at 7:30.
I labored for a while and at 10:00 got some pain medicine into my epidural. (I'll try to make this short) At 11:00 they checked and I was 3 cm and 50%. At 2:45 they checked me and I was 3 cm and 80%. At 5:15 the doctor came back and checked me again. The hopes were that since my contractions had been steady and strong, I would ave made progress. Unfortunately, I was still 3 cm and 80%. The doctor even said that he could push on Reagan's head and push him up into my abdomen, he wasn't even engaged. He agreed that no matter how long I stayed on Pitocin or contracted, he wasn't going too come down. We started prepping for a c-section. I went to the or room and at 6:41 Reagan entered the world. We thought that since he wouldn't come down, it confirmed how big he must be. He was 7 lbs 7 oz. and 20 inches long. I guess I'm just not made to have babies! He's perfect in every way and I'll post pictures soon. Ric has been amazing and is a great daddy, and motherhood has been amazing.
Parenting is amazing!
newborn Reagan in OR
Reagan in Scrubs

SweetGaze's picture
Last seen: 7 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/14/08
Posts: 3

I went in to be induced at 12:30am on monday morning. DH and I got to the hospital and they put us in the "luxury" room since it was available (its not much different than the other rooms, except its got a view of the intercoastal across the street). The nurse said I was at 2cm, 80% effaced so we could just hang out until 4:30am when she would start pitocin. After not being able to sleep, 4:30 rolled around. They got the pitocin hooked up, I was doing fine. I had no problems or pain from the pitocin. At 8:30am, they checked me, I was still the same and the midwife came and broke my water. At 9, the contractions were picking up enough to feel them. The nurse said she was going to up my pitocin - I told her, "Get the epi ready then." (my last labor was pitocin induced without the epi.. been there, done that, dont want the t-shirt) So, she did.

She checked me at 10 and I was 4 cm. The epi was ready at 10:30am. It was relief because the pains were getting stronger. Unfortunately, about 11am I noticed the epi was leaking all over my bed out of the tubing. By 12pm, I was suffering through the pain again and no more meds were going through - just all over my bed instead. The anest. finally got there from eating his lunch. He fixed THAT problem, which was immediately replaced by a new problem - the epi machine kept beeping and displaying that "alarm code needed". The anest. guy said he'd never seen that, took a long time to figure out the problem while I bared through the contractions. The nurse suggested perhaps it needed new batteries - yup, that WAS the problem. Thank you nurse.

So, at 12:30, I was feeling the epi again. At 1pm, the nurse checked me and said, "you know, you are 10 cm." That was news to me. She called the midwife in, they quickly set up a cart. At 1:07, after 3 contractions, Natalie was born. She was sooo easy to push out, unlike my first DD - who took the assistance of a vaccum (the one who was also a pitocin birth with NO epi). I had no tears - with older DD, I had 2nd degree tearing and needed a lot of stitches. I had such a good experience, I started bawling as soon as she came out. I didn't cry at all with older DD, I was so traumatized by that experience that I just went into a deep depression.

This truely was a wonderful, mind blowing experience and I can't stop being in awe of little Natalie - two things I never felt after my first labor and delivery. I felt on top of the world after Natalie was born. Definitely a very good and happy experience. Everyone should have such great labors, I wouldn't wish my first labor on my worst enemy. It really is a world of difference and such a major change of emotions when you experience a good labor vs a bad one.

Kendra78's picture
Last seen: 6 years 2 months ago
Joined: 04/07/07
Posts: 10

The weather was beautiful here over the weekend, so we got out and

about a lot! We took Landon to the park on Saturday and went shopping,

so I had done a pretty good amount of walking. Sunday morning, we

cleaned our Expedition out to get it ready for 2 carseats. Our

neighbor's 2 girls came over to play with Landon (they are 11 and 4)

and they wore him out! So, at about 1 p.m., Landon and I laid down to

have a nap.

I woke up at 3:30 p.m. and I don't know if pain woke me up or if I just

had to pee really badly, and that's what woke me up. Once I got up, I

noticed I was having pretty regular contractions. We timed them and

they were every 6 minutes like clockwork. We were supposed to be over

at my inlaws' house at 4 p.m. for a spaghetti dinner, but we were late

because we made sure everything was packed up because I didn't think

we'd be coming back home that evening. We got over to my inlaws' at

about 4:30 p.m., and went ahead and ate (I was going to make sure I ate

before I went to the hospital...they like to starve you while you're in

labor). By this time, my contractions had gotten closer together.

They were now every 4 minutes, and steadily getting more painful. I

decided I wanted to be 100% certain that this was the real thing, so we

took a walk around the pond. I wanted to see if walking made them

worse and closer together. Wow...did it! While we were walking, they

started coming every minute! So, we went and gave Landon lots of hugs

and kisses, and headed to L&D.

We walked into L&D (after having 2 people offer me a wheelchair) at

about 6 p.m. They were going to take me into the monitoring room until

I told them that at my appointment on Friday that I was already 5 cm

dilated. They did a 180 and took me right into the birthing

suite...the same one I was in when I had Landon! Too cool! Anyway,

they went ahead and admitted me and got me all hooked up. When they

checked me, I was 6 cm dilated and 80% effaced.

My contractions were still 3-4 minutes apart, and were nice and strong.

OK well, they were strong...not so nice! Not having any desire at all

to have a natural birth, I went ahead and let them know that I would be

wanting an epidural as soon as possible. Of course, at that point,

they went ahead and put my IV in. She got it the first try, God love


At about 7:20 p.m., the anesthesiologist came in to give me the good

stuff. I was more than ready for it. It was the same Dr. that gave me

my epi with Landon, so I had faith in him. I think getting the epi

this time hurt worse than before though. After awhile, it became

apparent that the epi wasn't working very well on my left side. We

tried having me lie on my left side for a while, but that didn't

help...neither did cathing me and draining my bladder. That made me


At 8:10 p.m., the doctor came in to go ahead and break my water. This

made me nervous because it hurt so bad when I was in labor with Landon,

and my epi was only working on one side. Thank heavens he popped it in

about 2 seconds. At about 9 p.m., the anesthesiologist came back in to

give me a second bolus of the anesthetic. That did the trick, and my

left side finally went numb. After I had gotten my epi put in, my

contractions slowed down, so they went ahead and put me on some pitocin

too. I was itching pretty badly at this point from the epi, so they

gave me some Benadryl in my IV and that is when I couldn't keep my eyes

open anymore. I got sleepy immediately, and just HAD to have a nap.

Steve wrote down that I fell asleep at 9:37 p.m.

At 9:57 p.m., Steve noticed that my contraction monitor was going

crazy. They were coming fast and furious, so he got a nurse to come

check things out. Well, the baby was coming, and I was only wanting to

sleep! I felt NOTHING!!! They broke my bed down and got my legs up in

the stirrups and the doctor got in there. I pushed twice and out he

came (actually, 2 pushes and a cough)!

Matthew Benjamin W**** was born at 10:12 p.m. weighing in at a whopping

9 lbs. 8 oz. and 21.5 inches long! I had a 2nd degree tear this time

(no wonder...this one was almost 2 lbs. heavier than Landon). I still

can't believe I had such a big baby...I didn't think it was possible!

He is perfect. He and Landon look nothing alike though, which I find

so bizarre for some reason. Landon really looks like my DH's side of

the family, while Matthew looks like me and my family.

He nursed very well after birth and has been a champion nurser since.

My nipples are killing me, but I am proud to say I have not broken down

and given him a bottle. My supply seems to be more than adequate this

time, and I am thrilled!

What is very strange is that Matthew was a bigger baby than Landon and

caused more damage coming out, but I am not nearly as sore down below

this time around. He came barrelling out so fast, the doctor didn't

have time to do any perineal massage at all, so I had a nasty little

tear. I am not complaining though. I am so proud of my little body

for being able to handle such a big baby.

Landon isn't quite sure what to think of the new baby. He likes to hit

him on his head. We're working on that. Having 2 is going to take a

lot of adjustments, but we'll make it.





Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

Owen Samuel
6lbs 11oz
19.5 inches
born at 4:55pm

I had my bloody show on the 9th when I woke up. That entire day I was having irregular contractions but they never progressed closer than 10 minutes. The next day I had an OB appointment at 9:15 am where I had DH drive me due to the irregular contractions. At the appointment the OB checked me and noticed the bloody discharge but said that I was still only a fingertip dilated. However, my Blood pressure was up higher than the doctor was comfortable with so they decided to send me into the hospital for observation to make sure we were okay. The doctor made an appointment for me on thursday just in case and we went to our observation at the hospital.

The hospital is about a block from the OB's office so I was there and hooked up to the fetal monitors and all that in no time. They wouldn't let DH come back until I was triaged and hooked up to the monitors, so after an hour he joined me while we waited. At just before noon my doctor came in and looked at the monitor tape, she told us that she didn't want to send me home because even though I was doing fine the baby had several dips in his heart rate which concerned her and she didn't feel comfortable with me going home in case something happened and she wanted to watch baby's condition more closely. She scheduled us to be induced in the am on the 11th. I was tired of the contractions and knew that baby was full term so I was okay with the induction though a small part of me was disappointed that we had to be induced. But ultimately my concern is for baby to be healthy no matter how we get there. So we called everyone and was moved into my room for the night.

The nurses brought me food and DH went home to get our things, settle Parker at grandma's and get something to eat. They hooked me up to fetal monitors again and then tried to hook me up to an IV. I told the nurse to put it near my wrist but as usual she didn't listen and they poked me 3 times and ended up putting it in my wrist anyway. While they where hooking me up baby's heart rate took a dip, the nurses started to scramble and put me on an oxygen mask and IV fluids. Baby's heart rate came back up and they left us content. The nurse came in and put me on the antibiotics for Strep-B and then let us have our day. Baby's heart rate dipped again and the nurse came in to check on us and had me roll over onto my side for a while.

Then around 4:50 pm I was talking to Michael and we where laughing and I remember hearing baby's heart rate get really quiet and faint, I shifted to my side and the nurses came rushing in. They told me, "Okay, we are going to be moving really fast right now" They started asking me if I had any jewelry on and made me give my glasses to Michael, they shaved me as my doctor walked in and told us that Baby's heart rate kept dropping and they needed to get him out before he took another one. I asked if Michael could come they said no because it was going to be fast and that I wasn't going to be awake for it either. I almost cried because even with a regular C-section I would have been awake for it, but they where rushing to get baby out as fast as possible and didn't have time to give me a spinal block or an epi or anything. Michael gave me a kiss and then they rushed me off.

They took me into the OR and had me move to the table, they started prepping my stomach and gave me a shot to stop the contractions. I started to shiver and shake from the shot. They hadn't given me anything to knock me out and I could hear them setting up the knives and the clamps, they strapped me down and rubbed my stomach down, they covered off the area and taped it off. They put a curtain up across my middle and the Anesthesiologist came in and asked me again if I had any allergies or problems with general. I remembered to tell him it made me sick to my stomach but that I was not allergic and he said that he would take care of it. Then I was just shaking and shaking and he looked down and me and said, "We don't want to give baby any more of these drugs than we have to, so we are going to wait until they are completely setup and ready before we put you out." The next thing I know I hear my OB say that they are ready, and the nurses and everyone said they where ready and suddenly my air mask was filled with gas that burned me lungs and I was out.

I woke up hearing a small voice talking to me, "... baby is 6lbs and 11oz... he's.... Susan, wake up. Susan, you need to wake up..." Then I was hurting, they gave me medicine and moved me to my hospital room. I was returned to my room at 6pm. Michael was there and I was crazy loopy from the drugs. They gave me a pain pump for the medicine so I would be able to hit the button every ten minutes when I needed more. We waited till 7pm for them to bring Owen into me, I cried and hugged my teeny little baby.

DH said that they brought Owen to him in about 5 minutes after they took me out so he was the first that got to see our little baby.

Everyone says Owen looks like me, which is nice as Parker is a carbon copy of his Daddy. Owen's eyes look to be a gray color, we are hoping they will look like mine and turn green. He is nursing like a champ and doing great!

Parker and OwenOwenMichael and Owen

trinkbeck's picture
Last seen: 5 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/17/08
Posts: 22

Ava Rose
February 9, 2009
6:25 am
6 lbs 14 oz, 18.5 inches long

I was awake at 1:00 am for a potty trip and then again at 2:00ish. I couldn't get back to sleep. Too uncomfortable. So my mind was going in 1000 different directions. I actually was supposed to see my doctor today at 9:00 am for my weekly checkup. I've broken out in a rash from chin to cankle and I was just miserably itchy. I was going to ask him to schedule me for an induction this weekend if his exam didn't do anything tonight or tomorrow.

So I was laying there as comfortably as I could and I felt a kick? a punch? No wait, that felt kinda familiar. So I laid there for a few minutes and felt something warm coming down. I bolted out of bed and expected a flood, but nothing. So I went to the bathroom again and still nothing. So I figured it was just discharge. I stood back up and my shorts were then wet, but still nothing big. I changed my shorts and went to lay back down and more came out. So I went back into the bathroom and there was clear liquid running down my legs. I shook Andy wake and said I think my water just broke. He asked if I was sure. I said, well, my shorts are wet. He asked if we should go. I said, I don't know. I didn't want to drive an hour just to find out that I peed myself. I went downstairs and sat on the couch (with a towel under me) and waited for something to happen. But no contractions yet. Andy came downstairs and asked what I wanted to do. I said, we'll just wait a bit to see what happens. I shifted and there came the big gush. That answered that question. I called my doctor's office so that I could get the answering service's phone number and called them. The on-call doctor called back about 5 minutes later and I told her that my water had definitely broken. She said to head on in. It was about 3:30ish when we left the house. Andy called his parents just to see if they would answer and his mom DID – ON THE FIRST RING. We dropped Alec off there on the way here. That was at about 4:15 that morning.

We got to the hospital sometime between 4:30 & 4:45. We should have been there sooner, but DH missed the exit and then we both thought the hospital was on a different street, so then we had to turn around and backtrack. I was timing contractions and they were coming about every 3-5 minutes, and I was feeling pressure in my butt – not that I told Andy that. He was already driving like a madman. They got me hooked up to monitors and started taking all my information. The on site OB came in to check me and luckily I had another big gush of fluid which got me out of a speculum exam. I was completely effaced and a centimeter dilated. We got into a room about 5:15ish. More questions. Wait, didn’t I just answer these back in the other room? More contractions starting to get more intense with some back pain. Epidural lady came in and asked THE SAME QUESTIONS! Hello? Don’t you people communicate? Harder contractions – can’t talk through them. I finally signed the consent form about 30 minutes later. I was hoping she would be right back. They came in and checked me again. I was at 4 cm. All the nurses left. Everytime someone walked by the room or a cart rolled by, I was thinking that relief was in site. Andy continued to send out email to his coworkers about his cars we was supposed to deliver today. I was getting frustrated because 1. He wasn’t paying attention to me, and 2. The contractions were really getting harder and about 30 seconds to a minute apart. Another hard contraction came and I screamed “I HAVE TO PUSH!!!” as I was pounding away on the nurse call button. Three nurses came flying into the room and checked me again. I was fully dilated, there was now no time for the epi. It’s now about 6:00 am. They get the bed broken down, the scary on site OB comes back in since my doctor isn’t here. Serioulsy she was scary! I have a thing about teeth and she really didn’t have any! So the nurses help me with my legs because I was in just too much pain to move myself. After about 10 minutes of pushing, Ava’s heart rate started to decelerate so they pulled out the vacuum. Her head was right there in the canal, they just wanted her out because of the decel. About 10-15 minutes and an episiotomy later, they were telling me to look down because here she was! I pushed as hard as I could and wow! The relief was amazing. And holy crap! I did it without drugs! WTF was I thinking???? It felt kinda weird that I could feel her whole body leave mine! I heard them say something about a cord around the neck. I asked Andy about it later when I was replaying the events in my head. He said not only was it wrapped around her neck, but her entire body. She had squirmed and rolled around so much on the inside. Everyone thought I was just exaggerating!

Who would have thought that after the marathon labor I had with Alec that the second one would only be 3 ½ hours long? Surely not I!

She’s a little peanut and very feisty! She’s actually taking to nursing but hates that it isn’t instant gratification. We tried at about 7:15 and she just wouldn’t stay on long enough and she just kept crying and crying. So the nurse thought that we should try to put a little formula on me and see what she did. She still wouldn’t stay on. So after about 2 hours of crying, she took about 2 tablespoons of formula and passed out. I have to call the nurse before I feed her because of the gestational diabetes. They need to check her sugar to make sure that she is ok. So far, she’s perfect. They can’t believe that I had it! The last time I tried nursing, she stayed on for a good ½ hour. I am really hoping that this time works! Speaking of passed out, Andy is snoring away on the couch.

chelle.'s picture
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: 06/22/08
Posts: 33

I got to experience pretty much every stage of labor which I had missed out on the first time around - NOT FUN AT ALL. I went to bad with mild contractions and not feeling well. At 1:20 am (Friday, February 13) I woke up with a contraction. I tired using Contraction Master, but couldn't get to the computer consistently. I also wasn't sure if they were gas/constipation pains at times, because I had to keep running into the bathroom. When I did time them they were between 5-10 mins apart and lasting over a minute. They were painful. I finally woke Jeff up around 2:30; a little after 3:00 I said it was probably time to head to the hospital. About 3 mins. into the 45 min. drive they changed. They were coming every 3-4 mins., but weren't lasting nearly as long. The real painful part lasted 1/2 minute, then there was another 1/2 minute of like after shocks. (Shaking legs, mild cramping, etc.) When I was checked I was about 7 cm and the anethesiologist (sp) was already called for another lady. Finally about 6:00 am I got some pain relief. It was similar to an epidural; numbing started within mins, but only lasted a couple hours. We went this route since I was so close to having the baby. The nurse checked me again; I was 10 cm with a very thin lip still. Around 8:00 it was time to push. I had kind of a hard time initially because I was still numb and couldn't really feel what I was doing. The doctor joked around about the baby's hair crowning. Between pushes she said if you put your hand down here you can feel your baby's hair - sure enough I could. LOL She decided since the baby was big to give me an episiotomy. At 8:47 am Kaysen Peter was born. He weighed 8lbs. 14 oz. and measured 19.5 inches long. I ended up tearing pretty badly as well, so ended up with a lot of stitches.

Luckystar's picture
Last seen: 5 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/26/03
Posts: 5

I was scheduled for induction at 7:30am, I got to the hospital at 7:00 to register and get set up. I got put in triage for about an hour and a half. They got my IV in, started the first round of antibiotics since I was GBS+ and they filled out a lot of paper work.

I got moved to my room at 9:00 and got pitocin started about 10 minutes later. My pitocin was increased every half hour. I started feeling contractions and was bearing through them until about 12:00 when they really started getting painful. I got a shot of Stadol and felt it working in a couple of minutes. The contractions were still strong but tolerable now. At 12:50 they were really getting intense and close together with one after another. I started getting pretty loud. By 1:15 or so I was really loud and crying. DH and my mom said people were coming out of other rooms to see what was going on. A few minutes later I had 4-5 nurses in my room trying to help me breathe through the contractions and help me to stand up. Laying down or sitting was not working for me at all. They turned off the pitocin for a while and got the anesthesiologist in ASAP, who gave me a shot in my IV (don't remember of what) which barely took the edge off. After that she worked quickly to get my Epi in.

Around 3:00 I was started to feel everything on my right side. The contractions were really strong but I tried to hang in there and just breathe through them.

At 4:00 I started feeling sick, I was getting a headache and feeling nauseated and I couldn't take it any more. I asked if they could call the anesthesiologist to come and try to get my right side numb again. The nurse checked me while we waited and she said I was 8cm and was probably going through transition and that's why I was feeling sick.

The anesthesiologist came around 4:20 and gave me a shot thru my Epi line. It didn't start to work for about 10 minutes though. All of a sudden I got really nauseated so I sat up the best I could, my mom got the bed pan thing and I started throwing up. All of a sudden I felt my water break (yeah I still hadn't had my water broken!!) So I told my mom to call the nurse, they answered on the intercom and my mom was panicked and just said "her water broke!". The nurse came in quickly and saw me throwing up so she started putting on gloves. All of a sudden I felt really weird down there, not really pressure but like something was falling out. I was dry heaving and suddenly yelled "I feel something!" and just started yelling because it started to hurt. The nurse said what pressure? I couldn't even answer, I just laid back and threw open my legs and yelled. The nurse lifted the sheet and she freaked out, she said, Oh my goodness the head is out!! She pressed the intercom and just started yelling I need nurses in here now, this baby is coming out! All of a sudden I felt my baby just slide right out and a huge relief from the pressure. She started crying right away. The nurse was in such a panic. All the other nurses came in to help and they were all kind of panicked. My Dr. came running in about 7 minutes after my baby was born. She delivered my placenta and then apologized that she didn't make it in time. I couldn't blame her, the nurse barely made it in time!

I was disappointed with her though because she was supposed to come at Noon to break my water but the nurses kept saying she was super busy covering for 2 other OB's but would get here as soon as she could. I wish she would have made it to deliver my baby, but the only thing that matters is my baby was born healthy.

It amazes me how easily she came out, it just felt so slippery. Oh and not a single tear! She is bf'ing like a pro, latched on perfect right away.

m3773a's picture
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 03/15/08
Posts: 170

On 02.11 Wednesday (right at 38 weeks), after being sent home from L&D with bleeding and some contractions, my water broke at 7 pm. I was having my contractions every 15-20 mins most of the day, my bleeding got very light so I sent DH to the store to get me some panty liners because the pads were too big, while he was gone I got a few sharp contractions 3-4 mins apart so I called him that I will go dry my hair because we may be going back to the hospital by the next day and didnt want to look like a freezy mess. While doing my hair I didnt have any contractions for 30 mins and when DH came home I was having one and I was telling him how sad I was because the few sharp ones were just a false alarm. As I was talking to him I felt like I'm peeing but from my other hole, good thing I was still wearing the big pad. I took my panties off to see whats going on and yep I was dripping all over the floor. Called the dr and she said to go in, I got so lucky because my dr was on call that night. I finished doing my hair, yeah I know its sad because I ended up looking like a homeless person anyways after the labor. Got ready, took my 38 week belly pic ( cant miss that), and went to the hospital.

They got me in bed and checked me, at 9pm I was only tight 2 cm, 80% effeced, -2 station, they made sure it was water and not pee, like they didnt believe me, I told the nurse I know which hole it was coming out of and it wasnt pee.
My contractions were only 6-8 mins apart and were kinda mild so the dr said she will have to start Pitocin since my water was already broken and we have a time limit. They started Pitocin at 10.45pm, when it kicked in after about an hour my contractions got strong and 2-3 minutes apart, I started to not be able to handle the pain at around 12.30, I told the nurse i want the epi so she checked me and I was still only 3-4 cm, I was really hoping for at least 5-6 with the pain. Got my epi at 1 am, and it hurt more than just the pinch they say it will feel, my contractions were coming and I couldnt relax well, felt weird pain going down my back but finally it was in and after a few minutes I only felt pressure and no pain, I was in heaven. They checked me again 20 minutes after epi and I was already 8 cm, I was so happy. By 5 am I was ready to push, they called the doctor and Emily came out 49 minutes later. I tore just a little and didnt get any hemorrhoids.
Baby girl came out screaming and didnt stop for the longest time which made me feel like she doesnt want me but it was just hormones and everyone told me its good because her lungs are strong and she is getting rid of all the fluid.

I just couldnt believe I'm a mom now and its my kid, the whole pregnancy and the labor felt like a dream. I love this little girl so much.

We had her first pediatritian appointment on Monday and she is doing great, she lost almost 8oz in the hospital in 2 days and after we got home she only lost less than an oz in the next 2 days. She is doing great and loves to eat, hope we can fix her latch, going to see a LC tomorrow. She is full of smiles, I dont believe its just gas because nobody has gas all the time, she smiles so much, we just lay her down and shower her with kisses and she just smiles at us. DH is in trouble because he wont be able to ever say no to her.
I cant believe she will be 1 week old in just a few hours.

Emily Mae
Born 02.12.09 at 5:49 am
6 lbs 12 oz, 20 inches long, Apgar 9,9

Getting cleaned up

On the scale

Falling in love

Got to love those lips

All dressed and ready to home, she is so tiny even the NB size looks big on her

At home, her daddy loves to make her hair into a mohawk :eek:

mommamary's picture
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Joined: 06/29/08
Posts: 8

Eliot and I arrived home to around 3p this afternoon, just 26 hours after Eliot entered the world and I wrapped up the natural childbirth I had wanted so badly. Dante loves his little brother and is taking his role very seriously. We've had several visitors and Eliot is a hungry little man, so shockingly my milk is already coming in which didn't happen until day 3 with Dante.

Monday night (more like early Tuesday morning), I began to feel some contractions that we're similar to those I've been feeling only slightly more intense. They varied in frequency and duration and so I didn't think much of them, and spent several hours just kinda' ignoring them, going about my normal activity (writing a paper and then sitting on the couch eating chips and guacamole watching House) until, jeez maybe 4 in the morning (since I've been in the habit of not sleeping for months now). At this point I began thinking that even though I was eating and really very comfortable these contractions did require a little bit of breathing through and maybe I should give my mom the heads up that I may be calling her for another L&D visit. Made the call and decided to lay down for a while. An hour later the contractions became stronger, though still very mild and less regular. Even though they weren't that bad I couldn't sleep through them. I decided at 630am that perhaps I should head to L&D. Mom arrived at 730, my contractions at this point were the same and totally more than bearable. I was experiencing some sustained back pressure though so I was a little worried about the baby.
After arriving at L&D, I kinda assumed that the outcome would be the same as the other night...not enough action and I'd be sent home. Much to my surprise the initial cervix check showed that these "contractions" had done some work. I was a solid 6cm and I wasn't going anywhere.
At 830a I was moved into a delivery room (the same room in which I had delivered Dante almost 4 years ago) and I asked to walk the halls. I was issued an IV for GBS antibiotics and began my jolly easy jaunt around the halls. The contractions didn't really change at all during this foray and I casually called friends and fam and chatted L&D folk up. I also spent a short time in the luxurious whirlpool bathe the rooms offered because my bath at home doesn't have jets, and my bag of waters was intact. That was a nice little perk. A half an hour later I checked in with my nurse. She asked to see my progress...I was 7cm! How that happened is anyones guess. I was snacking on graham crackers, drinking black tea and dilating and I really barely felt more than moderate twinges and the back pressure I mentioned earlier.
At this point came medical intervention #1. At around 10am my doc asked to break my bag of waters, hoping to expedite my dilation. I decided the it seemed like a progressive move and agreed. The contractions after my membranes were ruptured were a little stronger but still bearable. I stood up, rocking breathing and singing Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" during the contractions and shared anectdotes with my mom and the nurse during the breathers. I went from 8-10cm in less than 20 minutes all with no real intense pain and at 11am it was time to start pushing.
"I think you'll have this baby by 1130" the nurse said. Famous last words!
This is when labor became difficult. I spent the first 45 minutes of pushing laying on my back. A horrible mistake since I was having major back labor. Eliot like Dante was posterior, but unlike my delivery of Dante I was pushing with no pain meds and the pressure associated with the difficulty of delivering a posterior baby was starting to get the better of me. I was bearing down with every contraction so hard, and despite the encouragement of everyone around me and the "he's right there, just a couple more pushes" I kept hearing he just wasn't coming out. Despite the intensity of the contractions I was "remarkably serene during the breaks" according to my doc. I begged to push standing up. My doctor agreed that this might be best and blankets and pillows were quickly lining the floor. Using my mother and doctor as anchors I began bearing down in a much more comfortable position. At this point a quick check of my progress revealed a small lip of my cervix had been keeping the baby's head in the birth canal and hindering my progress. I'd been pushing for over an hour and apparently fighting this the whole time. I was devastated and thoroughly exhausted. The lip of my cervix was held in place and I continued to push for 30 more minutes finally getting his head past the block and making real progress.
At this point I was so overwhelmed and beat I began crying...I felt like I just couldn't continue. My nurse looked at me.."It's either this or a c-section...you can do this!"
Then my doctor suggested medical intervention #2 aiding me with the vacuum (which was also used to aid in Dante's delivery). I went over the risks and decided that it may be the best route for a quick delivery of the baby who'd been being squashed in the birth canal for almost 2 hours at this point (although I was reminded constantly that he was doing great since I asked between every contraction).
I was moved back into the bed. After about 3 more contractions and solid pushes and finally the aid of a vacuum baby Eliots head came out with a hearty cry. It was 102pm. I quickly delivered the rest of him. What relief!!! and he was just perfect!!5 minutes later he was latched on and feeding like a champ!! and although tired I felt wonderful. I'd done it (as best I could) and now I had my little man. "I'm so happy to finally meet you" I whispered, kissing his soft head, while the small tear I'd suffered was closed with 2 little stiches and my placenta was delivered intact. After a shower my second son and I were wheeled to recovery and a little over a day later we're home. I feel fantastic and Eliot is so alert and robust. He lost a whopping 3 oz of his orinal birthweight which I suspect will be quickly regained since he is nursing my milk supply in quickly.
Here are some pics...

7 cm and cool as a cucumber...

Welcome to the World lil man

My perfect boy...

Nursing right away...

Ready to go home and I felt great

First cloth diaper

Leaving the hospital with gramma

Dante loves his brother!

Okay this is waay to long and pic heavy!!!

babyloveinjules's picture
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/22/08
Posts: 4

Jackson Edward
2/14/09 (my 'lil Valentine)
9:58 am
7lbs 3oz, 19 1/2 inches

Well its all pretty simple actually! Friday was my due date, and i was gettin really anxious so at 11:00 pm DH and i ran to walmart to buy some Castor Oil. I chugged 2oz with oj and went straight to bed, Not knowing what was going to happen. I slept just fine, and about 2:30 am i woke up having to poo (tmi) really bad. I kept on reading how castor oil gave really bad gas pains and cramps but i didnt feel anything like that. So i went back to bed and within about 5 mins i started feeling pretty strong contractions. After about 5-6 of them i went down stairs to get my phone to time them. They seemed really close together. By the time i stepped down stairs i felt a Gush. Not really big... but i knew right away what it was! I was thrilled

So went and put on a pad and went to tell DH to get dressed we were going to the Hospital!!

So got to the Hospital at about 4:00 am and got admitted and my contractions were gettin stronger and about 3-4 mins apart, and i was 3 cm. I also get coupling and tripling contractions meaning i get 1, then before that one goes completely away i get another, or more. They SUCK! I did the same thing with DD.

So by about 5:30 i was in ALOT of pain!! The nurse already knew i wanted an Epi so she called the anesthesiologist and he was on the way.

Right before the anesthesiologist came in i had 8 contractions in a row... with about 5 seconds in between them! It was really intense. The nurse said its pretty rare to get that many without a break. I was recovering from that when the anesthesiologist walked in the room! I was never so relieved!!!

He put it right in and INSTANT relief... i was now in Heaven!

So i kept dilating, and the Dr came in at about 9:15. I started pushing and 15 mins later He was here. I didnt feel any pain while pushing, but really uncomfortable when the head and body came out. He had the cord wrapped around his neck, same as DD. But after that was removed he started crying right away!

I am so happy with the way everything happened, and still cant believe how well the castor oil worked!

Cincatwn's picture
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 07/01/08
Posts: 10

I was scheduled for a c-section on Thursday, the 12th, at 9:00am. We went and dropped the kids off at my mom's so they can join us later. At that point, I was having some contractions. But I figured they would go away like they always did. Well, we got to L&D and they were so busy they didn't even have a room for me. So they prepped me in the recovery room along with other patients. They put me on the monitors around 8:00am until they finished with the first c-sec which they started late. Within that hour I started to feel major painful contractions. When the nurse came in to check she was surprised I was in labor on my own. They were coming every 1-3 minutes apart. I was in all that pain and they still had to put the catheter in me which hurt like hell! I had to just wait out the pain. Finally, they took me in around 9:30am and I had to walk with that catheter in and the iv on the other hand and in pain.

To make a long story short, Mia Aryana made her screaming arrival at 10:01am on February 12th. She weighed 8lbs 7oz and 19.5" long. They had to check her sugar levels because I'm diabetic and thank goodness she was okay and didn't need to go to the NICU.

We're both doing well now. I'm still sore and in some pain. Still have a hard time walking, but I'm getting better everyday. I'm finally breastfeeding and it's going well so far.







evilbarncat's picture
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/17/05
Posts: 21

Jayda Alina
Feb 16, 2009, 4:47am
9lbs, 14.5oz, 23"

So, I went for my 40 week appointment on Feb 13th and got the doctor to do a stretch and sweep for me. He told me I was 2-3cm and would likely not make it to my 41 week appointment. The strech and sweep gave me some braxton hicks contractions on Saturday, but nothing significant or regular. Sunday we were celebrating my sister's birthday at my parents house for lunch. I was having some contractions, but not really painful or regular so I thought they were BH again. Later in the afternoon, they started getting more regular so I decided to start timing them. I started at 4:30 when DH and I sat down to play euchre with my parents. Turns out they were 5 mins apart and lasting about 45 seconds each. We stayed, played euchre, had supper and then decided whether or not to leave lainey with my parents. We figured since we didn't want my mom to have to come out in the middle of the night if this was labour, we would leave her there. Dh went home to get a couple of things and then we went home together. I sat in my room with the laptop and contraction master on the screen watching some TV and DH went downstairs to watch a movie. My contractions were about 2.5 mins apart and 45-60 seconds each and getting much more regular and painful. I was bummed when we first got home though cause they went from being 5 mins apart to 11 and I really thought I was going to just go to bed. At 11:30 when Dh came to bed I asked if he was taking a shower before we headed to the hospital and told him that he'd better do it then cause I thought this was it. So he called Fiona (my massage therapist and other support person) to have her come over and hopped in the shower. Fiona got there around midnight and DH and I were sitting in the rec room watching tv and timing the contractions. Fiona got to work on my lower back because it was really starting to ache with the contractions. It felt nice just to lean over the computer while she applied pressure to my back. We continued to time contractions and at about 1:30 DH and Fiona decided it was time to go to the hospital. So DH called in to let them know we were coming and we loaded up and headed over. We were the only ones in labour that night which was nice and the L&D nurse was actually helping out in emerg so she was happy we came in. We discussed me not wanting any pain meds and she was really good with that. Never mentioned it again to me. I was hooked up to the monitor and they looked at my contractions and checked baby's HR which were all fine. They also checked me and found that I was 5-6cm with bulging membranes and a very thin cervix. They disconnected the monitors after about 20 mins but I didn't really want to walk around. DH and Fiona just took turns applying counter pressure to my back since I was having severe back labour again (I had this with LG too). I continued to labour, they checked me again a little later on and I was 8cm with bulging membranes, so they thought if they broke my water i would hit 9cm in no time. So I asked them to call the dr in to break them. Dr. S came in, broke them and sure enough I was at 9cm. It was clear fluid too, so I was happy to hear that. With Lainey there was meconium in the fluid which scared me. I hate it after my water breaks because the pressure is just that much more intense. Dr. S lives in the next town so since it was the middle of the night, I guess he decided to stay until I delivered. It's not like I had that much further to go. Unfortunately I didn't look at the clock, so I have no idea what time this was at. At 4am I told them I needed to push so another nurse came in to help with my legs and monitor her HR they also put the stirrups up which was a nice change from lainey's birth where I had to hold my legs myself. At first pushing wasn't doing much but I think that was because of her size. Finally I was able to get her to start moving down and I had her out in 45 minutes (I pushed for 90 with Lainey). I tore a bit cause Dr. S threw some liquid that burns like crazy on me and I thought I had been cut but my sister informs me he would have seen a tear and was keeping it clean I guess. Between getting her head out and her shoulders out, they had me panting like crazy but she was a little bit stuck, so Dr. S had to manoever her to get her moving again. THen she got slightly stuck at the belly as well. The nurse said in all her 32 years, she has never seen a baby get stuck at the belly. Jayda wasn't really crying when she came out, but shortly after birth on the warming tray after some oxygen she started to pink up nicely. She was grunting more than she was crying. The gave her to me and I held her while the dr put in some stitches. We finally got to our room at about 5:30am. It was a really great experience, and I will never forget the feeling of pushing out my daughter but man, I don't know that I would want to deliver a baby that large without some kind of drug relief again. I will say that the recovery has been much faster and I feel my nether-regions are healing a lot better this time, even with a bigger baby.

We stayed in the hospital for one night and were discharged Tuedsay afternoon. The nurse screwed up in requesting the discharge bloodwork for Jayda so we were delayed until 2pm. We had to go bac to the lab to get another billi ruben test done on Wednesday cause she was slightly high on discharge but yesterday at the doctor he said she was fine.

We are all doing well, Jayda is already eating 2.5 oz every 3 hours and my milk has finally come in. Yesterday I got 26oz of milk, so things are going well.

Me and my girls Monday morning

The girls and their papa

Lainey holding jayda

She finally got a bath!

Ready tp head home

randi_christine's picture
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 09/06/07
Posts: 29
Villette Lynn 2-20-09

I forgot to post Villette's birth story, so here it goes!...

On Friday, February 20th, I went to my ob appt at 2 pm and was 5 cm dialated with small regular contractions. She told me to go over to the hospital. My sister had DD 1, and went to my house to get our bags for us.
At 7:30 pm they started pitocin. By then, my sister was there with DD 1.
At 8:30 pm my water broke.
At 9:30 pm I was really uncomfortable, and MADE them check me. The nurse did, and didn't tell me what was going on. I asked a few times what was going on, and she finally said, I can't believe you're complete!
At 9:50 pm, Villette Lynn made her way into this world. Her hand was up by her face, and the ob actually had to push her back in at one point so that her arm didn't break.

7 Lbs 11 ozs
19 inches

Right when she came out:

After with DH and DD 1

The next day with my sister and DD 1

Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 04/23/06
Posts: 485
Josiah's birth story

Josiah’s Birth Story

On Friday Feb. 20th I had my 40.5 week doctor’s appt. The doc checked me and I was dilated to just 1cm, no change from the previous appt. Doctor asked if I wanted him to sweep the membranes and I decided it was a good idea. If I was ready to go into labor it might give my body the push it needed, and it was worth a try in my opinion! At 40 weeks and 3 days I was ready to meet my baby! When I got home I put Jacob in the stroller and took a nice long walk through our neighborhood. Then dad got home and we all went to the park and enjoyed the amazing winter weather, which was about 70 degrees with a cool ocean breeze!
We decided to go out to eat that night…Jacob requested fish tacos so we went to Baja Fish, which has awesome Mexican food and delicious fish tacos, of course. While eating I got a few painful contractions, but I tried to ignore them because I didn’t want to get my hopes up. I got more and more of these throughout the evening, but they were about 6 to 8 minutes apart so I just tried to relax while Joe and I watched some television. By about 10:00 pm they were getting closer together and much more painful. We decided to really start timing them on the contraction master. It took about three hours for them to get SO intense that I could hardly bear them, but we waited another hour just to be sure. I called my doctor at 2:00 am and he gave me the go ahead to head to the hospital. We got everything ready and headed to Grandma and Papa’s house to drop off Jacob, who had no idea what was going on! This would be the first night I ever spent away from Jacob, so I of course started to cry when I gave him a kiss goodbye! The hospital was only about a ten minute car ride away from that point, but we seemed to hit every single red light on the way so it felt like an eternity!
We got there at 2:30 am and I was admitted by 3:00. They checked me and I think I was at 3cm and 50% effaced. The contractions were so hard to handle lying down in that bed…I wanted to scream! But…I didn’t, I just tried to breathe through them. The nurse asked if I wanted an epidural and I accepted immediately, which surprised my husband but I just looked at him and said “I NEED it, okay?” The anesthesiologist was there in no time and I had my drug line hooked up and I was feeling GOOD! My sisters and my mom got there right after that and we chatted for a while, then we decided I should try and get some rest. So Joe and I slept for about an hour and a half, and when I woke up around 6 am they checked me and I was a 5 and 80% effaced. Things continued to move at a slow and steady pace from then on…by around 8 am I was about a 9 and almost completely effaced.
My epidural had begun to wear off about a half hour before I was fully dilated, but I was alright with that because I wanted to be able to feel when it was time to push. The pain got to be so intense though…all I could do was breathe through them but they were on top of each other, so it was exhausting. My doctor came in all suited up and ready to go at about 8:15 am, and I got into position. It was hard to get the “right push” at first, but after about 10 minutes I really started to feel and understand what I needed to do. At one point when I felt like I had nothing left, my doctor grabbed my hand and put it on my baby’s head and said “Look, he’s right there! You are so close. Just keep pushing!” That really helped me to refocus and keep going, so I started pushing with all I had. A few minutes later with one good push, the baby’s went from in…to OUT! All of a sudden my doctor said “Okay, the cord is wrapped around his neck so DON’T PUSH. Just hold still.” He had to cut the cord because it was wrapped so tightly, and then he says “Okay…this is NOT a little baby so take it easy…give me one more good push and he’ll be out.” So I did, and at 8:48 am baby Josiah entered this world.
I didn’t get to hold him right away…they needed to make sure he was okay because of the cord being wrapped around his neck. So I just laid there and watched them clean him up…but I knew he was alright. God was with me during the entire labor, putting my mind at ease about everything. It was simply a beautiful experience that I will never forget! Josiah Reid weighed 8 lbs. 9 oz, he was 20.5 inches long, and he got 8 and 9 on his apgars. He was absolutely perfect, a blessing and a gift from God above!

Cherrykitten's picture
Last seen: 4 years 11 months ago
Joined: 07/03/08
Posts: 700

I think I have attempted to sit down and write this at least a dozen times.

So February 26th (my due date) I was totally bummed out that I was going over my due date and was willing to do anything! So after going for a massage I agreed to DTD with DH. About 15 minutes later I started to feel cramping, but figured it was nothing. Around 12:30am on the 27th I started to get really uncomfortable. My joints felt like they were going to come undone and I almost felt like I had symptoms of the flu and PMS at the same time. and it finally hit me Smile I was in labor (and of course I started taking notes!!)

1:15am-I got my first real contraction. It just about knocked me off my feet, I had to grab the kitchen counter to brace myself, but they were only coming every 15-18 minutes

2:30am-Suddenly they were coming 8-10 minutes apart, they weren't as strong but were getting very consistent with time and length. I decided to call my dr's office, but had to leave a message for a call back.

3:45am- The on call dr finally called me back (good thing it wasn't an emergency) by this point the contractions were 5-7 minutes apart and over a minute in length. The dr told me to come into the hospital and get checked out.

5:00am- I decided to be nice to DH and I let him sleep until 5, and I even had a cup of coffee in my hand when I did. Of course, his response was "are you sure, I think you may be faking it", so I smacked him on the leg and told him to get his a$$ out of bed.

6:30am- we finally got to the hospital, all DH kept saying was "this is nothing like in the movies, why aren't you screaming your head off yet" LOL The nurse checked me and I was only dialated to 1 and contractions were only coming 4 minutes apart. The nurse decided to have me stay an hour to see if I would make an progress.

8:00am- The nurse came in to check me again and I wasn't making much progress, I was still a 1 but getting more stretchy. She was getting ready to call the dr to see about sending me home when all of the sudden Wyatt started getting decels. We watched it for a few minutes and then there was a decel that lasted close to 2 minutes :eek:. It totally freaked the nurse out and she ran to call the dr. We all agreed to start an induction to speed up the labor.

8:45am- We started the Pitocin, and DH called everyone he could think of and told my mom it was time to come to the hospital.

10:20am- A strange doctor came in with a knitting needle and said he was going to break my water Wink He broke my water (holy f#*^) and there was a slight amount of muconioum staining, not really bad, just a little. But boy was there a lot of water, the nurse was amazed and I was totally grossed out.

The labor was progressing nicely, around .5 centimeters an hour but they kept fussing with the pitocin because of the heart decels. They would up the drugs and then come in and shut them off and I started getting really frustrated. The contractions were every 2 minutes and were getting stronger but I was handeling them well. My mom was a SAINT the whole time. Poor DH was sitting in the corner and had no idea what to do, poor guy. Mom saved the day and help me count through the contax and breath.

1:00pm- The nurse thought we should get the epi going because I was dialated to 4.5 but I didn't want it yet. I was determined to hang on as long as possible and wanted to be able to walk around and use the birth ball, etc. But the pain was getting to the point where I was almost unable to breath through them so I agreed to get a dose of IV drugs. (side note...my mom was taking notes for me on what times certain things were happening, her notes say 1:00pm-Wimped out :ROFL:)

The drugs were great, they gave me just enough to take the edge of and let me get a little nap, but it didn't take away all the pain or take away my ability to labor how I wanted to. The nurse came in about an hour later to tell me that the anastesiologist was going into surgery and it was either get the epi now or wait till he was done. I opted for a 2nd dose of the IV drugs

4:30pm- Got the epi, holy cow was it amazing!!!! The anastesiologist was great. It took the pain away but I was able to wiggle my toes and move from side to side but I was stuck in bed. I was still dialated to just under 5 My mom said I fell asleep about 2 minutes after the Epi kicked in and didn't wake up for over an hour.

7:00pm- I dialated to 7-8 and sat there for awhile. The new nurse finally noticed that the day nurse hadn't put in a cathater. She put in the cathater, good thing too, DH said I almost filled the bag pretty quick.

8:00pm- I was still dialataed to 7-8 and started to get extremly nauseaus after eating nothing but ice chips and popsicles for 15 hours straight. Got a dose of regelan and passed out for another hour, thank god for sleep!!!

9:30pm- Finally dialated to 10!!!!!!!! The nurse warned me that it may be awhile until the actual delivery, I was fully dialated but the baby wasn't quite ready yet.

10:00pm- The nurse had just left after checking me and I stared to feel pressure. It wasnt uncomfortable but I kept saying I really need to pee. The nurse said what the heck and decided to check me again, she had this look like :eek: and said not to move that the baby was "right there" and she called the dr. DH said that the baby was really right there. The nurse actually held his head in with her pointer and middle finger, my mom made me laugh and the nurse freaked out because it started to make the babies head come out

10:15pm- The doctor came in (not my normal dr, he had a family emergency :() dh said that the dr walked in, took a look down below and said "Oh $hit" We did one test push and the dr said we were ready to go.

10:20pm- after 3 good pushes out he came. The dr had asked who wanted to announce the sex and all I remember is just as I saw the top of his head my mom started screaming "IT'S A BOY...IT'S A BOY...IT'S A BOY" My little Wyatt was here, 7lbs 2oz and 19 3/4 inches.

It was the most amazing experience, so amazing that DH says I actually asked if we could have another right before I started pushing :eek: I would do it all over again.

Sorry it took so long to get this written but my mom lost the notes and just found them yesterday. It was such a whirlwind I couldn't remember what happened and when. Thanks for reading!

Fixing my hair right after the Epi

My baby boy is here

Finally holding my baby for the first time