Sapphire Spaces - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Sapphire Spaces

  1. #11
    Mega Poster ekcanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Alberta, Canada


    Kyla's space!
    Erin & Tyler - July 19, 2003
    Hayleigh Bryn - June 6, 2009
    Kyla Rae - September 2, 2011

    June '09 Space
    Sept '11 Space

  2. #12
    Posting Addict LizzyLaw06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio ***Co-Host of March 08


    Addisyn Jade was due on thursday 9-8-11. Our 5yr wedding anniversary. DD1 also started preschool that day. And DD and DH were in a wedding on 9-10-11. For the two weeks leading up I was dialated at 2cm and 50% and holding. Had 39w checkup on 9-1 and was still at 2cm and 50%.
    So i was hoping to deliver the weekend before or wait until after the wedding so that i didn't miss anything from being in the hopital. But of course, things never happen as you would like them to happen...

    the week leading up to my due date I was having very mild ctxs that would be 10-15 mins apart and would last about an hour or more, but would stop before increasing intensity or decreasing duration. I walked as much as my SPD could handle, DH helped, I had pineapple after pineapple to try to get the LO hear just a bit ahead of schedule.

    Tuesday 9-6 after DD1 had her "meet the teacher" at preschool we took her to the zoo so i could do some walking.

    Wednesday 9-7 DD1 had orientation for dance and 6pm. took her there, then we had family hair cuts scheduled at 7:15. That evening and night(before bedtime) my ctxs were very quiet so i had no belief that anything major was going to happen, well, I was very wrong!

    That night DH and I went to bed about midnight9-8. I probably fell asleep about 1230 for Addisyn was moving around well(as she normally did as i was trying to fall asleep) which left me feeling and "playing" with her as she moved.

    At about 130am that night I was woken up with leaking. confused, i went to the bathroom and my pj shorts were indeed wet. by the time i got back to the bedroom i had a very intense ctx. Laid in bed and a short time later i had another. with not much sense of time i thought those seemed close together. so i pulled up my ctx counter app on my phone and had it ready. At the next ctx i pressed the "start" on my app and the "end" when it was over. The next one came and i did the same think. Those were 5 mins apart. I decided to time for one more, which came in under 5 mins later. So i woke DH and i called the dr. The doctor told me to head in to the hospital. So DH then called the babysitter to come and stay with DD1 so we didn't have to wake her.

    Baby sitter got to our house about 2am. In the meantime DH put the bags in the car, got the last minute stuff(toiletries, laptop, camara...)together and i spent most of that time doulbled over on our bedroom floor in pain with my ctxs now being between 2-3mins apart.

    We arrived to the hospital about 230am. By the time we finished checking in and got into the room and me in my gown in was about 3am. They checked my cervix and i was dialated to 6cm and I think 80%. they asked me if i wanted the epi and i said yes. They worked on my iv's as i suffered through several ctxs. they were still working on iv's and hooking up monitors when i had a ctx that made me scream out "she's here!"

    that was about 320am and they checked my cervix then and i was dialated to 9 and completely effaced!. as soon as I heard the 9 i remember thinking, "oh great! no time for the epi now!" at that moment the lady who was to do the epi walked in. She and the nurses asked me if i felt i was able to sit for it. With ctxs still 2min ontop of each other that seemed impossible to me still with absolutley no pain meds in me yet. But i mustered up an yes answer to them and I was helped into position over the table tray with a pillow.

    They gave me an epi/spinal combo because the spinal works alot faster and i was ready to start pushing. That was finished about 330. The medicine started its magic within minutes. after a few minutes i was asked if i could feel the ctxs, to which i replied not really. So the nurse said she would push on my belly to feel when i need to push. 345 we were getting ready to start pushing.

    I pushed through one set(the hospital teaches you to push 3 times starting a ctx) and she had crowned! One more set and her head was out. The doc then did some suctioning from her nose and mouth until my next ctx. Then one more set of pushing and at

    357am 9-8-11 on her DUE DATE 8lb11oz 21.25in and our 5yr wedding anniversary Addisyn Jade had arrived!!! apgars 8 and 9

    Now! for the interesting part! that damned placenta!!
    IT....WAS....STUCK!! are you friggin kidding me?!?! at the top tip of the uterus there was bit that would not release. I pushed and pushed, the doc would manually try to scrape it loose and nothing! the doc paged another attending on the floor to help. He came in and also tried to manually get it loose. A bit later finally at 440 the placenta had been delivered! I also lost alot of blood from all the manipulation to get the placenta out. To which to doc was concerened and ordered blood counts and told me there would be possibillity to need a transfusion for myself. thankfully when those results came back my counts we ok. though I did get a Rx for iron pills to take for a month

    We are already in love of course and Addisyn had a fantastic big sister who just adores her!!!

    on mommy for the first time

    her checkup

    meeting big sister Jocelyn for the first time


    one month checkup: 10-5-11
    Addisyn's checkup went well. 22.75in(95%), 9lb5oz(50%), up from 21.25 and 8lb11oz at birth and 8lb6oz at 1 week.

    over the last couple weeks starting about 8pm the only thing that comforts her seems to be nursing or feeding from a bottle, lasting until 2am or later most nights. We were thinking she may be colic and after telling him how our evenings go he agrees. Gave us a couple cans of soy formula to try and told us to try gripe water. If the weekend doesn't get better he wants us to call monday to get a rx. Overall says she is great, growing great, eating habit are great (except the colic parts). Told us we should get some smiles in the coming weeks, and we go back at 2 months
    Last edited by LizzyLaw06; 10-05-2011 at 10:45 PM.

    Jocelyn Renee 2-28-08 ___________________________ Addisyn Jade 9-8-11

  3. #13
    Mega Poster jonibug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Richmond, VA

    Default Alice's Space

    Weight tracker
    Birth: 6lbs 10oz
    Discharge (2 days): 6lbs 7oz
    3 days: 6lbs 9oz
    2 weeks: 7lbs 6oz
    3 weeks: 8lbs
    6 weeks: 8lbs 9oz
    8 weeks: 9lbs 4oz
    10 weeks: 10lbs

    12/5 update
    After going to the doctor a couple times about Alice's reflux, we finally put her on Zantac. The difference has been amazing this week, she still cries, but cries for a reason other than being in pain (tired, hungry, bored). She looks great, and is growing great. She still sleeps a ton, going for 4-6 hours at night and sometimes only waking to eat at day. She gives all sorts of smiles and coos, and even mouths off when she is mad but it isn't worth crying over. She is strong, holds her head up really well, likes to stand when we hold her, kicks a lot and can scoot some. Breastfeeding is going well now that we aren't dealing with thrush. She even pets me or clutches my shirt sometimes which melts my heart. She LOVES the Christmas tree. Today she even played on her mat with the toys, batting at them and cooing.

    Here's a pic:

    Alice’s birth story
    Birth weight 6lbs, 10oz
    Birth length 19in
    Apgar scores 8 and 8
    Gestational age 40 weeks, 0 days
    Born on September 27th, 2011 at 9:02AM

    I had been having prodromal labor for 2+ weeks and was stuck at 3cm, 75% effaced for all that time. At my midwife appointment on Monday, September 26th (39 weeks, 6 days), nothing had changed. We decided to induce by breaking water on Friday if nothing had happened by then, but my midwife had a feeling I would go before then. She stripped my membranes and gave me some black and blue cohosh tincture to try. She also gave me a recipe for castor oil, but I wasn’t going to try that until Thursday. The rest of that day I contracted, but it didn’t start to move together until the evening. I cleaned up the house and took a bath and they were still coming about 5 minutes apart and were getting a little more intense. I took a bath and they stuck around, so I really started to think this could be it. I called the midwife and she had me call my doula and have her come over. So I did that, David got Stella’s grandparents over and they took Stella to their house. My doula said she thought this was definitely true labor so we headed to the hospital at 12:30AM. When I got checked I was still 3cm, so I was pretty disappointed. We decided to walk the halls and see what happened. That caused the contractions to get much more intense. I finally said to my doula that I felt like everyone in their rooms probably were wondering what kind of madwoman was moaning in the hall so much and I wanted to go back in my room. David had been resting in my room and came out just then to say he was trying to rest but someone kept making noise in the hall and they sounded like a ghost or something. I labored in a chair for a while, then moved to the bed to see if I could rest some.

    That is when the contractions started to get really bad, resting was not an option during these contractions. I was checked and was at 5cm, to which I responded, “noooo!!!”. That’s actually how I responded every time I found out how far dilated I was. I decided to get in the shower, which felt really good. David kept annoying me by opening the shower curtain to check on me. At one point I shut the curtain in his face. I finally couldn’t take the contractions sitting anymore so I came out and lay in bed again. I had a really hard time coping at this point and kept saying that I couldn’t do it, but everyone said I was doing great. I really didn’t believe them at all. The only things I said were no and I can’t do this, otherwise I just moaned and yelled. I was hurting in my back, lower stomach and even my butt, hips and down the front of my legs. I kept rubbing my right leg because it felt like a horrible cramp and rubbing during a contraction really felt better. The midwife thought I was just doing a repetitive motion and tried to do the same on the back of my leg which made my butt hurt a lot worse, so I slapped her hand away. David came over and helped me rub the top of my leg, he really helped me there. I was checked again because I started feeling pressure and was 7cm. My doula convinced me to get on the birthing ball and she helped me through a few contractions, trying to open up and let the baby come down. I could only handle 3 contractions like that and finally had to move back to the shower. I realized I was now feeling pushy and it felt better to groan and push together (David says I sounded like a zombie). The midwives changed shifts at that point and the new midwife came in and made me get out of the shower. She checked me and I was 8cm. She had me lay on my side, slightly on my belly with a pillow under me and my left leg in the air. She got in my face and helped me breathe through several more contractions, but then the pushing really started taking over and she moved down. One of my good friends came in at this point and seeing her face really helped me buckle down and push. She and my doula held my leg up when I wasn’t contracting and I held my leg when I was contracting/pushing. Pushing felt soooo much better. The midwife was using oil to help stretch my perineum, especially where I had torn with Stella’s birth. The midwife started getting kind of excited because my bag of water still hadn’t broken and the baby’s head was halfway out. But the bag was keeping me from pushing her out all the way so the midwife broke it (it was bulging in front of her head). I was finally able to push her head to the point of the ring of fire, when the contraction stopped! So I burned for a few seconds and then pushed her head out completely. She immediately started screaming! The midwife told her “alright, alright, calm down”, which I thought was funny. I then pushed her out all the way and got to catch her and pull her up on me. I was so worn out and yet elated over finally getting her out and holding her, though the nurses had to suction her a lot because she was gurgling. The pediatric nurse and the midwife started a small war at this point. The ped nurse came over and lifted the baby off my belly to take her but the midwife smirked because she hadn’t cut the cord yet so the ped nurse stomped away. I nursed the baby and the midwife cut the cord but my placenta wasn’t coming out so I had to give the baby over to the ped nurse so I could sit up and push the placenta out.

    Once that was done I needed a couple stitches so we had to wait for the ped nurse to bring the baby back over because the midwife knew I’d be able to ignore the stinging if I had the baby, but the nurse was ignoring the midwife who was telling her to bring the baby back to me now. She finally brought the baby back over and I nursed her again while the midwife gave me a few shots of Novocain and stitched me up. After a few hours I went to the bathroom. Walking was easy, peeing was not. I went up to my recovery room with David and Alice and we rested there for a while.

    I was still having issues peeing, was only getting out 100 cc’s at a time. The third time I dropped a huge clot (about the size of my whole hand) and the nurses freaked out when I called them in and they saw it. While Stella was visiting with David’s parents, three nurses came in, ushered them all out and put in a temporary catheter. They thought the clot was because my bladder was full and pressing on my uterus. They were able to drain 550 cc’s of urine. After that I didn’t have any more issues. When Stella came back in she got to hold Alice and she has fallen absolutely in love with the baby.

    When we left the hospital, Alice was at 6lbs, 7oz and the next day at the doctor was at 6lbs, 9oz. We are doing so well.

    It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but also the most rewarding. I feel great still, with only a little pain every now and then. It is hard to follow advice and not do housework and stuff when I honestly feel better now than I did when I was pregnant.
    Last edited by jonibug; 12-22-2011 at 10:50 PM.

  4. #14


    Markus Heinrich
    September 21st, 2011 at 2:51pm
    38.5 weeks
    8lbs 9oz
    19.5 inches
    Stratford General Hospital

    This pregnancy was definately my hardest, first with severe morning sickness and then with my pelvis separating at 22 weeks. I spent the last 6 weeks on partial bedrest as it was incredibly painful to walk. My husband Chris and I were married when I was 10 weeks pregnant, what was supposed to be the best day of our lives was made really difficult with the morning sickness - but we made it through (somehow!)

    I had two boys from a previous marriage already when I met Chris. Tristan as born vaginally on January 1st, 1999 and Kieran was born vaginally on November 14th, 2003. I was also a gestational surrogate and delivered boy/girl twins on December 16th, 2000. The twins were delivered via caesarean section as I developed prolapse cord during their birth. I was thrilled to have a vaginal birth after caesarean (VBAC) with Kieran in 2003 and also with our daughter Clara on March 1st, 2010 (our first child together!) However, Clara's birth turned out to be very traumatic for me as she was delivered in less than 2 hours and I never received any pain medication (Clara's birth story & pics). We live an hour from the hospital and I was very stressed with Markus' pregnancy that I would end up on the side of the road, or miss an opportunity again for pain relief!

    My last belly pic at 38 weeks.

    I had a really great OB this time and told him my concerns and he always assured us that he would do everything he could to make this a good experience. His one concern though was that with my previous csection I was risking a rupture with a vaginal birth and I was not allowed to be induced (only have my water broken if my cervix was favourable around 38-39weeks). I was a little confused that he felt this way since I had two vaginal births already since my csection but he informed us that the more vaginal births you have after a csection the greater the risk of rupture as every contraction strains the scar more and more. There had also been some babies lost this year at our local hospital from uterine rupture with moms with the same history as me so I found this really worrisome.

    On Wednesday September 21st at 8am we went in for another OB appointment and I wasn't dialated enough for my water to be broken. I was in so much pain I broke down crying as I couldn't imagine another day with the pelvic pain. My OB said we could do a csection if we wanted and immediately I knew it would be the right choice with everything considering. I was terrified to have another natural birth, I was in pain and I didn't want to risk losing our precious baby to uterine rupture or some other complication with waiting another week. There was also concern that delivering a full term baby would permanently affect my pelvis and I would need corrective surgery. My OB said he'd give us some time to think it over and would come back in a few minutes. Chris and I both felt it was the best decision and agreed we should go ahead with the surgery. It wasn't an easy decision though as I knew I'd be in pain recovery wise and it was scary knowing it was going to happen that day. But we also knew that it would be the beginning of recovery for me as we could still face another week of pain and bedrest and STILL end up with a csection anyways.

    We were sent down to L&D and were told the surgery would be around 3pm after general surgeries were over. At first we went to triage but requested a private room since we had Clara with us and wanted time to settle in. We called my mom to come in and stay with me while Chris took Clara back to our house to be watched by his mom. To say I was nervous was a huge understatement and I kept telling myself I just had to get through the bloodwork, the IV and then the spinal. I have a horrible time with IV's and have never had a good experience. Thankfully I had a great team of nurses working to make sure we had a great experience and they covered my hand with EMLA to numb it up and said they had the best nurse for IV's. Amazingly she got it on the first try! Chris kept telling me "you had such a horrible pregnancy but you are going to have an easy birth... just see". I tried to hold on to what he said and also the end result... our beautiful baby that I was going to be holding later in the day (hard to believe!)

    At 1pm my OB came in and said we were ready to go but Chris had still not returned! He arrived soon after and everyone started to get everything ready for us to go to the OR. The nurses sat with me and explained how everything was going to happen and really helped to calm the fears I had. I started the walk down to the OR and Chris was told to get dressed and that he could come in once my spinal was placed.

    Chris waiting to go in!

    At 2:30pm I went into the OR. I was so nervous once I sat down on the operating table. Immediately the anaesthesiologist began to prep my back with the cold antiseptic and kept assuring me that all was going to be well and this would be over before I knew it! I put my head on my nurse's shoulder and held her hands tightly. I kept telling her how scared I was and she kept telling me I was doing great and that everything was going to be okay. The spinal wasn't so bad, I jumped with the initial local injection and then it was pretty much over. I kept telling the anaesthesiologist with the twins birth/csection I wasn't able to breathe and they knocked me out, he assured me I wouldn't have that experience again (they told me later it was because I had an epidural and then a spinal that was placed high which can affect your breathing). Not long after the spinal was placed they laid me down on my back and immediately I felt the numbing start from my toes all the way up to my neck. I felt someone put in the catheter but didn't feel any pain with it. Everything was numb and I could breathe! For the first time in months all my pain was gone and I told everyone "I can't feel the pain anymore!" I was so happy to be painfree I did notice that I seemed to zone out a bit and was delayed in responding, my mind was working normal but it seemed my mouth/face was a bit frozen. Chris came in and sat down next to me and kept talking me through everything.... I felt so much better once I knew he was there.

    My OB asked me how I was feeling and I told him good and he said "I've been pinching your belly with a sharp instrument and you didn't respond so you must be good". The OR staff all starting talking about this and that with their own personal lives and I felt a bit of pressure and tugging (very strange sensations) and then I heard the suction. I remember reading somewhere once that if you hear the suction your baby is less than a minute from being born. I suddenly got extremely emotional and started crying... it was maybe 15 seconds and I heard our beautiful baby crying! Chris exlaimed he's here, we have a baby! Our beautiful son Markus was born at 2:51pm. They took him over to the warmer and his cries were so robust and healthy sounding. It was the first birth I ever cried at, I was so happy it was over with and so happy he was okay They held him up and I couldn't believe how precious he was and I couldn't believe his weight... 8lbs 9oz! He is the biggest baby I've had and he was born 8 days early! Clara had been my biggest baby at 7lbs 15oz and she was 3 days overdue ... I think it was the bedrest and one too many treats for mom (My other babies weighed 7.12lbs, 7.10lbs, 7.8lbs & 7.7lbs)

    Markus - 8lbs 9oz

    Chris showing me Markus - instant love!

    They brought Markus over to us and it was so heartwarming to see Chris hold his new baby son. I was so emotional! He looked absolutely perfect to me! It was around this time that the OB said it was a good decision having the csection as my uterine scar area was very thin. I'm so happy we didn't risk a vaginal birth and have a uterine rupture, it was at that moment I was so happy we did the csection. I told Chris he could go as they said I'd be out in a few minutes... I knew my Mom was dying to see what we had (she didn't want to know the sex the whole pregnancy).

    Very proud pappa!

    At some point they noticed the IV in my left hand had blown so they started another one in my right hand (there was a huge lump rising - it looked horrible). Once the surgery was completed they went to transfer me to my bed and accidently ripped the IV out of my hand. They then had to start another one and had a heck of a time getting a line in. The anaesthesiologist seemed a little panicked with the whole IV situation and I know they don't like it when they don't have a good line going. All I remember is it seemed like they were smacking my veins/arms for the longest time and jabbing and I couldn't feel a thing. Even my arms were numb thank GOD! They finally got one in and I was able to go back to my room.

    I would say the IV's were the worst part of the whole process!

    Holding Markus for the first time.

    First nurse!

    My recovery was pretty easy, I would say the lack of sleep and gas pains the next day were the worst part. I haven't had a lot of pain recovery wise, the first time you get up isn't the greatest feeling but they had medication in my spinal that lasted for almost 24 hours that was really great. I then went to morphine and T3's and some sort of suppository pain medication. The worst part of the hospital stay was the constant vital checks and nurses looking at your incision... I didn't get much sleep there!!

    First Bath!

    Going home from the hospital.

    I left the hospital on Saturday morning... it was so nice to go home! We are loving every moment with Markus and the breastfeeding is going great. I nursed my other babies for over a year and hope to do the same this time. Overall it was a great birth experience! Markus is our last baby and I am so happy to be done with building our family

    Big sister Clara and Markus at home.

    It was great to go home and nap with my two babies.

    More birth & first month pictures can be seen here...
    Last edited by CanadianaSally; 10-20-2011 at 04:26 PM.

  5. #15
    Posting Addict nori_garsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Los Angeles


    Reserving CJ's space!
    Lenora & Chris 01.16.10
    DS Brandon 05.13.07
    DS CJ 10.06.11
    11.23.10 5w3d
    *Co-moderator of January-June '07 and September '11*

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011


    EDD- Sept 21st, 2011

    Birthdate- Sept 13, 2011

    Time- 7:43


    Length- 19

    Chloe’s birth was defiantly an experience for me,

    I know I was in early labor for a week and a half before she came but it didn’t do much in progress. Tuesday morning I woke up with contractions which were painful from what I was having, in the middle of a storm. So I got up walked around the house to see if they were real, which they didn’t so I walked around and up and down the stairs since it was about 4 am went to bed and laid there or 2 hours not being able to sleep. So I went down stairs roaming the house, until my mom got up and we ventured to L&D about 9 am.

    Making it there I was checked and monitored I had no change from my appointment Thursday which was dilation 2 effaced about 80%. So we sat to labor a bit and to be monitored, she came back and checked me again still no change so she went to call the doctor, my contractions became even more painful then she said she twisted the cervix around to the front so hopefully it would help a bit more.
    After calling the doctor she came in and told us I was being admitted because babies heart rate kept going too low then too high, she wasn’t liking the contractions, so we got to the delivery room, set up and I labored for another few hours waiting for the doctor to come in and break my water, but I had to wait for the antibiotics to be put in since I was GBS + about 5 they decided to put me on pit. Because her heart rate didn’t want to stable I was on that for about an hour before I was checked and was then 100% and dilated up to 5. I got the epidural because I knew I wouldn’t be able to breathe or make it with how it was going and I figured if I had some control I could help her come out easier.

    At about 6:30 they checked me again and I was about 7 and put an oxygen mask on which had me almost in tears but they said baby was really low and not getting enough oxygen. I was checked again at 6:50ish and the nurse stopped and said that I was 10 and my water had broke sometime in between then and baby was at +2 she could feel her hair. People started rushing around I was feeling really out of it then, doctor came in and told me to push when I felt the contractions which was going okay until about 6 pushes in they were losing her heart beat a lot, the doctor kept stretching me out trying to do what was possible to get her out before having to cut me so I pushed another set of three and she had to get the vacuum because she was stuck and just not coming.

    She then did a couple cuts because baby was in big distress then after a few more pushes the
    doctor told the OR to go to stand by which then really had me paranoid. I pushed with another set of about 6 and she finally came out. They set her on me for a couple seconds then took her to clean her. Doctor after a few minutes said to push again to get the placenta to come out. She started and finished with sewing me up the asked me to push again for the placenta but still nothing so she felt around a bit more and realized it was still completely attached to me, she had to cut the stitches and manually remove the placenta, which took a bit but it finally came out she re-stitched me and it was all done then. I felt tired and then got cold and shaky, we were finally moved to another room where I had to stay on antibiotics for 24 hours. It was a long stay but everything came out fine. We learned she was coming out wrong so she had some bruises on her forehead/eyelids/head and her nose being squished down on one side.

    I am just glad to have her hear now, labor was defiantly a new experience for me and it didn’t go at all of what I thought but I am glad we are both healthy.
    Last edited by BlackMoon; 10-18-2011 at 11:47 PM.

  7. #17
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2010


    Jacob's birth story

    Sept 28
    We were scheduled for induction starting at 8am. I show up, SUPER excited to get the ball rolling. When we walked in, we were told, unfortunately, there was no room! We were asked to give them a few hours, so we went home and took a nap. At 11am, we returned and were told they were still a couple of hours away from being able to do anything with us. So we went and got some lunch, went out and sat in the car for a while. I read while Mike slept. At 2, we marched back upstairs for an update. They said they were closer but it might still be another couple of hours. This time, they sent us for some testing to see if Jacob was ready to make his appearance. Our first stop was for a non-stress test. I settled in and started it. Jacob was pretty sleepy and not moving. The nurse wasn't happy. We went for an ultrasound, then back to redo the non-stress test. Finally around 4, we went back to L&D to see the results of all the tests, and to see if they would do the induction today. After talking with the doctor and being nervous that they would send us home and reschedule the induction, we were told they would admit us. YAY! So into our room we went, settled down and waited.

    Around 7, they administered the Cervadil, to ripen my cervix and hopefully start contractions. It worked! The contractions started almost immediately, though they were irregular and weak for a long time. The contractions were focused on my back, and while not very strong, they were more painful than I expected. Labor progressed slowly.

    Sept 29
    Sometime in the night, they started pitocin, a slow drip at first. By morning, I had only progressed to 3cm and 40% effaced. The contractions prevented me from sleeping, and made laying on the bed extremely uncomfortable. I was given a birth ball to sit on, and it made things alot easier, though it made me tired. I would spend about an hour on and then an hour off the ball to try to balance the pain with the tiredness. Around noon, I was checked again and only about 3 1/2, but up to 70% effaced. I was exhausted, in pain, and not progressing. The pitocin was increased to try and get things moving. At 4, I was really starting to struggle. The ball was doing nothing to ease the pain, and being on the bed was horrible. Finally they decided to administer an epidural. AHHH heaven. It was done quickly and very effectively. I was able to move my legs, though they were comfortably numb, and the contractions were greatly reduced in pain. At 7, I was checked again. I had progressed nicely, up to 7cm, and 80% effaced. My friends started to filter in from after work and I was happy to have my "family" with me. Around 7:45, the contractions really started to pick up. They were coming right on top of each other, and the pain was horrible! I don't know if the epidural had worn off or the contractions were just THAT bad, but I struggled alot, and I just knew I had hit transition. It wouldn't be long now!

    Things got really crazy. They attached a birthing bar to my bed, and broke it down to prep me for delivery. They checked me and I was fully dialated and just a tiny lip of cervix left, but the baby was quite high. They could feel during contractions he would move down, but then come back up again after the contraction ended. He seemed to be stopped by my pelvic bone, unable to get himself into the birth canal fully. The nurse said we would try some pushes to see if we could get him engaged. Suddenly, I started to feel like I was gonna throw up, and I needed to push BAD. The first attempt at a push was terrible, the nurse pulled my leg back too far and the pain from that knocked my concentration and I ended up just yelling at her and wrenching my leg free. Then we got set up again, this time in a much more comfortable position for me. I gave a push and felt the sweet release of crowning! Suddenly the nurse tells me to stop, his head was halfway out on the first push! She pages the midwife, and I am laying back on the bed, staring at the ceiling and concentrating on NOT pushing when every fiber of my body is telling me to finish the job. Midwife walks in, and casually asks "So what's happening in here?" and everyone, almost in unison, says "A BABY is happening!" So she slaps on some gloves and runs to me, and FINALLY I can push again. By this time, Jacob had wiggled his whole head out on his own! I give a hell of a push and get his shoulders out. He was placed on my belly and clean up starts. After a bit, he is cut loose and I can get a good look at him. I pick him up and look at him and I'm just sobbing, overcome with emotion. He had a bruise across his entire forehead, where he had hit my pelvic bone on his way out, but other than that, he was absolutely perfect!

    Date: Sept 29, 2011
    Time: 8:38pm
    Weight: 9 lbs, 6.6 oz
    Length: 20.25 inches

    Cutting the cord

    My first good look at him

    Getting checked out

    Daddy holding him for the first time

    Jacob and his crazy hair!
    Last edited by Maelani; 11-19-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    Happily married to Michael since 5.1.10
    DS1: Matthew - 7/7/00
    DS2: Nathan - 1/21/03
    DS3: Jacob - 9/29/11

  8. #18
    Super Poster skylersmomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011


    Kesler's Story
    Kesler Edward Albert
    7lbs 1 oz
    21 inch
    born via c-section @ 4:54 pm September 27 2011

    Well this pregnancy was quite easy compared to my first, I worked untill 6 months and felt quite good at 6 months I had placenta previa which put me on modified bed rest. at our 18wk u/s we found out that the baby had a calification on his diaphram but generally was healthy which was an awnser to prayers.
    May 21 we found out he was a boy!!! (yes we named him Kesler from hockey )
    We kept the pg hush hush until april 17 when we knew that baby was healthy the first ppl we told were families, Skyler was soo excited to become a big brother!!
    Well I was 39 wks exactly i woke on tuesday morning in alot of pain behind my csection scar I just thought it was cause the baby was moving lots, I also had passed a few blood clots. I had an appt for that day at 12(altho today they were running quite late) so i didnt feel concerned since kesler was moving lots.
    I went to my midwife appt as we had a c section booked for sept 30 the friday. when i got to the appt I told my mw appt my concerns and she sent me to l&d I called curtis who was off work and at home because he had got in a car accident the day b4 at work and told him i was headed to the hospital and my mw recomended he came. (so we had my dad pick up Skyler from schoool) the ob on call came in and checked me said I was 4 cm dillated and was concerned my uterus was thinning so she wanted to to a c section. I called curtis back and said I think we are having a baby today (in the background my mw yells "yes come now WE ARE HAVING A BABY TODAY LOL) I was totally in denial and felt completly un prepared.
    Curtis got to the hospital and was taken to change into scrubs and I walked to the o.r.
    All I could think was omg skyler is soo brave for his age (with all the needles and drs) I am an adult and i was terrified.
    I didnt start to relax untill they brought Curtis in the room.
    I dont remmber really anything untill 4:54pm and the I heard a wonderful cry Kesler was here, my second miracle in life that God had blessed me with was really here!!!
    Considering It was an emergency c section I did get the best out come I got skin on skin in the o.r. and I fought to bf in the o.r. and got that too. I was in true bliss even tho i didnt get my vbac i still got to bond with my baby in the first minutes.
    I had my tubes tied during the c section which turned out to be a blessing consider the events that followed the birth)
    In recovery Curtis and I were able to have skin on skin with Kesler and Skyler was able to come in and be with us which was important considering we promised sky that he could be the first to hold his brother
    we were then moved to mom and babe ward where we were in complete bliss!! bf'ding was going great Kesler dropped down to 6lbs 3 oz but was feeding well and had a great latch so we went home on day 3!!
    we got home friday afternoon and everything was good untill that nite I was soo engorged I couldnt get kesler to latch I broke down and gave kesler a bottle and called my mw for some help we got a nipple sheild and got back on track. everything felt like it was gunna be ok untill 4 am sunday morning i woke up to nurse and had such a bad headache i had to vomit my chest hurt and I was having strong heart palputaions ( i figured it was just hormones or a spinal headache) i couldnt sleep thru the pain and cried to curtis i dealt with the pain untill 6 pm when i called the mw (as i had been vomitting and having some touble breathing by this point) she came right over and checked my bp sent me to the hospital right away.
    we got to the hospital and into a room and there were drs there within 2 minutes iv's started and catherized ( i had no idea i just wanted meds and to go home) apparently my bp #'s were nearing 200's which can cause (sroke/siezures) i was told i would be moved to icu and baby couldnt stay (they also told me my heart was enlarged and i was at high risk for heart faliure so to say what i had to say to my family) i had heart scans, xrays and a whole bunch of tests my liver had problems with its enzimes(sp?) and fluid around it , fluid around my lungs and a blood clot in my lung (risk of my lungs collapsing from the fluid , enlarged heart, and both kidneys steadily failing , couldnt breathe and on oxygen) i couldnt believe it this was supposed to be the happiest time of my life and my boys were leaving the hospital with curtis and i was stuck here. i spent a wk in one on one nursing curtis was great making sure the kids got to come up and visit and making sure the times i was allowed to bf that kesler was there so I could nurse. I am blessed to have such an amazing suppot system.
    Fast forward i got to come home the sunday of canadian thanksgiving (talk about something to be thankful for) I am recovering slowly but surely Kesler is on formula and I am on a whole whack of meds ( one for ppd too) but I am blessed to be alive to watch my kids grow up. it is a good thing i had my tubes tied as drs say next pregnancy will most likely be fatal. it was an intresting journey but one well worth it to have my bundle of joy!!!
    (i will add more as I have time & as I think of more details)
    God has bleesed me!

  9. #19
    Prolific Poster ceres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Greeley, Colorado


    Ashton's Space!

    Ashtons Birthstory:

    I had my little guy on Monday morning! It was my fastest and easiest labor yet and my shortest hospital stay. I'm sore but honestly feel amazing!

    So for the past couple weeks I have been having major prodromal labor, usually at night or in the late afternoons and it would last anywhere from 3 to 5 hours before stopping. Sunday Sept 18th I started having semi-painful contractions around 6pm.

    I had been in an awful mood that day because I was just SO done being pregnant. Saul at one point in the day had sprayed me with the sink sprayer as I walked through the kitchen as a joke and I burst out crying because I had to change my shirt. I was really just at the end of my rope. So when my grandma invited us over for dinner I was not thrilled to go hang out with the family and have everyone comment about my lack of labor/baby ect. We went anyway because it was one of my fave meals, homemade sauerkraut with pork ribs and potatoes. When we got there at 6pm I started my usual evening prodromal labor. I had semi-painful contractions every 5-8 min the entire time we were there. My mom and little sister timed them for a while and they were getting excited. Everyone commented on how different/low my belly was looking before we left to go home. My contractions pretty much stopped within an hour of us getting back home but my back began to ache pretty badly.

    We put the boys to bed because Aiden had school in the morning and I wandered around the house while Saul played his computer games. Around 11:30pm I decided I really wanted to go to bed and I tried to lay down but my back hurt so bad that I couldn't fall asleep. I got up at around midnight and ran a bath to relieve the pain. After 20-30 min in the bath I finally felt like I could fall asleep so I drained the tub and stood up to get out. I put one foot down on the bath mat and POP! my water broke with a HUGE gush. I was seriously in shock for a few seconds and then I grabbed a towel and stuck it between my legs so I could go get Saul.

    He was still playing computer games with his headphones on so he couldn't hear me calling his name until I was standing right behind him. He turned around and I said "Hi!" and he goes "Hi?" and I laughed and said "My water just broke." and a look of panic spread over his face. We called my Grandma to come stay with the boys and I grabbed my bag and a few extra things. I put on some pajama bottoms and a t-shirt and the towel and went and sat in the car. As soon as my grandma got here we left for the hospital. It was 1:00am

    I had no contractions on the way to the hospital but Saul still drove like an old man, 25 miles an hour the whole way, taking corners at a snails pace. We pulled into the E.R parking lot and I got out and waled up to the door. By then I was leaking so much I left a trail to the door and into the hospital. They had me sit in a wheelchair and took me to Maternity Triage.

    The triage nurse gave me an annoyed look at first because I obviously didn't look like I was in labor. I was actually laughing when we first got into triage because at that point I was SOAKED and there was a giant puddle under me in the wheelchair. I told her my water had broken and stood up and she laughed too when she saw the puddle and said to just go put on a gown so she could take me to the L&D floor, I didn't have to stay in triage.

    As we rounded the corner to my labor and delivery room I had a contraction that was semi-painful. I got to the bed and they hooked me up to the monitors and I had another one. They put in my Hep-lock and started all the usual questions and my contractions were quickly picking up. I was still planning on a natural birth at that point and had hopes of laboring in the tub for a while. My nurse came back with a jug of ice water for me to drink and I asked to be checked so I knew where we were starting from. She checked me and I was already at 5 cm and VERY stretchy. She went to get my midwife right away because they knew I was going to have a quick labor. In the next few min. my sister arrived to hang out with us and my contractions at that point just took off. They were right on top of each other and lasting for a min or more. They went from going to 25 on the monitor to some reaching 60 and I could not catch my breath in between. I started to seriously panic and completely lost control. My nurse came back in and I asked for an epidural right away.

    It was a slow night on the L&D floor so my epidural was placed within 10 min of me asking for it. It was quick, painless and perfectly placed. They checked me right after the epidural took effect and I was now at 7cm. My midwife went to take a nap while I went through my last bit of labor and my nurse left us alone to hang out (this hospital is pretty hands off about things, which I LOVED) They came in to help me change positions at 5:30am and I mentioned that I was feeling pressure with some of my contractions so the nurse checked me and I was complete with his head at +2. She called my midwife and we decided that I would labor for another 30 min so he could come all the way down on his own and help me stretch out a little more since my labor and been SO short.

    At 6am my midwife came in, put on her gloves and told me to practice push. His head was halfway out with my first push and he was born with the second push at 6:09AM. He was right on my chest right away and just barely cried when they started rubbing him down. I held him for about 10 min and then let them take him to be cleaned off while My midwife stitched me up. Because he came so fast I had a few small tears that needed stitches. I tore both ways unfortunately, the tear up is pretty painful but it's small and should heal well. The tear down is on my previous episiotomy scar and it doesn't hurt as bad.

    Ashton's apgars were 8 and 9. He weighed 8lbs 11ozs and was 21 1/4 inches long. He is my biggest baby! Saul got to cut the cord and was so happy that he was home for the birth. He had gotten home Friday and he will be leaving this weekend so there was a very small window for him to be here to meet Ashton

    Ashton is nursing well but my milk has been slow coming in. His Billiruben levels are pretty high so we have done a little supplementation with formula just to avoid having him admitted for light therapy. We were discharged today around 2 pm and I am SO happy to be home now with all my boys.

    Pics of my big boy:

    At the hospital

    First Month

    Second Month

    Last edited by ceres; 12-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    Sarah and Saul Married 3/17/07
    DS Aiden 05/27/05
    DS Colin 01/05/08
    DS Ashton 9/19/11

    11/10 @ 6 weeks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions