September Snapdragons Birth Stories
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: September Snapdragons Birth Stories

  1. #1

    Default September Snapdragons Birth Stories

    Please share your Birth stories here. No comments though! Thanks!

  2. #2
    Posting Addict AngelLyndz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gulf Shores, AL


    On Tuesday, July 7th, I went in for my 31 week OB appointment. I told them that for the past 3 days I had been real crampy and that my back was hurting. I laughed and told them I knew that I was getting late in my pregnancy and that it was probably normal, but they asked so I decided to tell them. So, my m/w went ahead and checked me and I was dialted to a 1 and completely soft. Usually this wouldn't have been a big deal, except for I was only 31 weeks. She went ahead and gave me a round of streoid shots to mature her lungs and I made an appointment for Thursday, July 16th. She told me that I was on pelvic rest until the baby comes. My poor DH! This was our anniversary! She told us we should have came in the next day, so that we could have celebrated it. lol

    Monday night (July 15th) I went to bed as normal. I woke up at 3:30 am to have my usual potty break. I got back in bed and rolled over and I felt a little gush. Now, I have been having issues in the "leaking department" for about 10 weeks now, so I figured that it was that again. I layed there, not wanting to get back up because I had JUST went to the bathroom. After about 15 minutes, I decided to get back up and clean myself. I walked to the toliet, and realized that I was getting wetter and wetter. By the time I made it to the toliet, it was as if I was peeing on myself. I sat down (sorry for TMI) and there was water on the floor tinged with blood. I called to my DH, and told him I was pretty sure my water had broken. He gets out of bed from a deep sleep, and is the most calm I have ever seen him! I laugh about it now, because since he was so calm, I decided there was no need to rush, and took my time getting ready to leave. He finally had to tell me to hurry up.

    We get to our local hospital and sure enough my water had broken. They checked me and I was maybe dialted to a 2. They get an ambulance to transport me 45 minutes away to Pensacola. It was kind of embarrassing, because we went lights and sirens.

    We got to Pensacola around 6:30 to 7 am. They get me situated and hooked me up to monitors. I was contracting, but it wasn't like I had thought they would be. I thought contractions were like BH where your whole belly tightens and it would hurt really bad all over. Mine were just really low cramps and my back was killing me, so I really didn't think I was having real contractions. Silly I know, since I was watching the number go up, but it just didn't make sence to me at the time.

    The resident doctor and a newbie resident came in and gave me a 45 minute u/s. I was wiggling around on the bed, trying to get my back comfortable. *Now, when they were giving me u/s, I was off the monitors. Remember this. lol* Next, they gave me a pap so they could swab me and check for infections and what not. After, an u/s tech came in and gave me another u/s. She asked if they wanted her to check my cervix (which hadn't been done yet, because they didn't want me to progress faster), and they told her no. By the end of this u/s, I was starting not to feel well. I was about to ask her to stop and come back, when she finished. She leaves the room and tells me that the nurses will be back in a minute to hook me back up to the monitors. So, I have now been off the monitors off and on for probably an hour and a half.

    She leaves the room around 10 am. I told my DH that I was going to try to rest, so he left to go get breakfast. About 1 minute after he left, I started to get really nauseous and clammy from sweat. I ripped off the blood pressure cuff, and threw up in the trash can. I hit the nurse call button, but no one comes. At this point, my cramping is getting awful. I just kept thinking, if I'm only dialted to a 3 or 4, I'm never going to make it to a natural delievery. They are going to have to do a c-section ASAP, if this continues. I can hear myself starting to moan outloud. I'm curled up in a ball on the bed, trying to make it stop. I thought about calling someone out loud, since no nurse had called me back from hitting the nurse page button, but I was so scared that they were going to come in and tell me that I wasn't really in labor and I was basically being a baby.

    Next thing I know, my DH walks in the door. I have never been so glad to see him in my life. I ask him if he would just wipe my face down, because I had thrown up and was real sweaty. He wipes it down, and I tell him I'm really not feeling well. He walks out to go get me a nurse. By the time he walks back in, I feel a huge gush on the bed. I grab a towel and put it in between my legs and hold it there. A nurse walks in and goes, "I'm not a high risk nurse, let me go get one of them." She leaves, and I then feel the baby starting to crown. I tell him, "I'm pretty sure I've either got to go to the bathroom, or I need to push. No, I'm pretty sure I need to push." He flies out in the hallway, and tells them I need to push. I try to get him to look down there to see if he sees her, but he says, "There's too much fluid, I can't tell." The high risk nurse comes in and moves the towel. I can see on her face that she sees the baby. She runs out of the room going, "We need to get her to L&D!!" I keep going, "I really need to push, I really need to push!!" I think I was on repeat at this point, because that is all I keep saying. The nurses were yelling at me to not push, but I don't know if you ever have tried to NOT push, it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

    They start wheeling me out of the room, when DH realizes that no one disconnected me from the IV tower. My DH disconnects me (luckily he used to be an EMT, lol) and they start wheeling me down the hall. We had crossed through the double doors, when I feel my entire body relax. I feel her head come out. I go, "I'm pretty sure her head just came out." The nurses tell me, "Don't push! Don't push!" Then in the next second, I feel her come out. I go, "I'm pretty sure that she's out." I swear to ya'll, I didn't push. It was like my body did it on its own when it relaxed. My DH lifts up the blanket and sure enough there is a pink baby on the bed. He goes, "The baby in on the bed!" They keep wheeling me down the hall. The resident dr goes, "She's pink and the cord is still attacted, she's fine." I hear the littlest cries coming from her. I go, "So, she's breathing?" And they say, "Yes." Then I went, "Well, is she cute?" lol My DH is going, "Is someone going to look at the baby? She's on the bed!!" Finally, a L&D nurse stops the bed as we are nearing the room. At this point, the pediatrician cuts the cord and takes her away (I never saw this happen). They wheel me into the L&D room, and deliver the placenta. I was all finished by 10:45 am. They guessed her time of birth being 10:30. DH says he looked at his watch and it was actually 10:22 am, but it was written as 10:30.

    Anabella Juliette was born at 10:30 am, weighing in at 4 lbs 5.5 oz. She was given pure air over her right after birth, but never needed breathing assitance. She was doing so well, that the pediatrician laughed and told DH, "Sooo, are you going to get a camera and take pictures of your newborn?" So, DH had to run to the other room and get the camera and come back and take pics. As you can tell, there were a lot of reasons as to why she ended up coming out in the hallway.

    I'll have to add her first pictures later, once I find a USB cable. But, here are some pics of her from the past few days.

    After she was admitted into the NICU. The cords on her face were just giving her pure air, not breathing for her. She actually took it out herself and once this happened the doctor decided to leave it out.

    (*Look at her conehead!! This is why you should push when you really need to push.*)

    ~Lyndsey~ 8w4d
    CTC Dreamer

    Anabella Juliette's Space

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009


    I really want to thank all of you ladies for keeping me sane lol and of course for all the great advice and opinions since i joined here, it really means a lot to me and I swear I'm not sure i would have made it without ALL of you!! I know for the past month and a half I was not an avid poster like i was before the kids got off school for summer but now that i'm breast pumping every couple hours, i actually have to sit down and be still so that is now computer time too LOL. I couldn't imagine this board would mean so much to me when i first signed up, but with all my past m/c losses i was beyond paranoid with this LO and honestly i probably would have ended up m/c from all my stress if I hadn't been here with such support. I truly believe 100% you girls made it possible for my Eva making it this far and eventually to be coming home with us THANK YOU ALL for being here and being such great women I have grown to cherish so much!!!! All your warm wishes and congratulations were so beautiful

    On August 2nd the family and I were at a graduation party in a park, where I quite possibly walked around over a mile! Which is way more than i'm used to right now.. Towards the end of the party I abruptly rounded up my family and said goodbye as I knew I needed to change my shorts, it is now confirmed my water broke that afternoon. Unsure at the time we ran a few more errands and even a carnival lol, eventually we came home and after several hours of trying to figure out if my water really broke, I called l & d and they informed me to come in right away. I told my husband to stay home with the kids in case it wasn't my water breaking (so he could get to work in the morning) So I called my mom and she took me up to the hospital.
    I was admitted and taken to a bed instantly sunday night. The docs told me the baby would be here by morning, so I asked my mom to go to my house and send dh up to the hospital with me and she looked so sad. The docs started inducing me as i wasn't contracting or in active labor at all, just dialated 2cm. My personal doc wanted them to hold off on delivery and slowing the induction until morning when she could get there to deliver my LO so I it was longer then expected. Active labor didn't even start until late morning when they upped the pitocin---when they did that i was in so much pain i couldn't take much more and they gave me the epideral which thankfully helped, so much, i was even able to fall asleep for an hour Now at this point (monday morning aug 3rd) I am 35.5 weeks but the baby had measured a week behind at the last u/s so she's around 34 weeks) and if you girls recall as of last tuesday at my appt baby was still sideways breech and i was nervous hoping she'd turned and..... YES she did LO made it head down!!!

    I had floods of doctors coming through the birthing room and 5 peds docs waiting in case anything went wrong, and i was checked for dilation at 1:20pm and was fully ready to deliver. Now at this point I'm feeling pretty guilty as i know how hurt my mom was having to leave the hospital and not be here as she was watching dd 1 & 2, so I called her to let her know the docs said in a few minutes the baby will be here. Well my mom being my mom and only being 2 minutes away came right to the hospital with the kids. 5 seconds lafter my mom got to the hospital my doc showed up at 1:30 and I heard her talking to the nurse... so the crying and worrying began, one mentioned something about the cord was going wrong, possibly coming out first and i started bawling my eyes out plus I was EXTRA concerned as she was so early and I already have a history of having small babies. Thank god it was fast and my doc is so calming, there was some issue going on with the cord when she asked me to push but she acted like nothing unordinary was happening and must have repositioned it, then had me push again. By 1:45pm baby Eva was here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The doctors said she was perfect just small but that was expected. She was crying within seconds and can breathe on her own, they even let me hold her when she was born!!!!! Which i never assumed as no one really knew what to expect health wise.
    This was really a sight to see, I ended up having my dh, my mom and my two dd's with me and they all were able to see Eva born (well the kids were there but i didn't really want them seeing everything so they sat quietly up by my head.

    So far the hospital says she hopefully can come home within the next couple days as long as she is eating good, and holds her body temp steadily, Dh and I are waiting so impatiently! I go back every 2-3 hours at least to take milk in and visit but dying for her to come home.

    Baby Eva
    4 lbs 11 ozs
    17 3/4 long


    baby eva 3

    baby eva 2
    Liz & Boyd Married 2-14-08
    DD 10-25-00
    DD 12-04-03
    DD 8-03-09
    EDD 7-08-10

  4. #4
    Prolific Poster jaders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009


    Eleanor Grace
    1:47 am

    Our little girl's arrival was a total surprise - I really thought I'd be pregnant at least a few more weeks. On that assumption, I started staining a dresser for the nursery and made plans for the weekend to order bedding and pick up the the car seat, crib, hand-me-downs, etc. from my in-laws... and then my water broke last Friday morning!

    My water broke pretty spectacularly - I had a lovely gush while sitting on the toilet, another on the way to the hospital, and then it felt like I just leaked the whole walk from admissions to L&D - I swear my pants were wet down past my knees!

    Since my water had broken and I was having mild contractions 4-5 min apart, L&D decided to keep us. Unfortunately, my contractions stayed mild and I wasn't progressing very well, so they started Pitocin to get things moving.

    At first it wasn't so bad... it just felt like menstrual or gas cramps in my lower back and hips. After two hours of steadily increasing amounts of the Pitocin, though, the contractions started to HURT. (According to DH, I went from very calm and joking around to 'Holy $#!& I want my epidural NOW!' in about 4.5 seconds.)

    Sadly, I hadn't progressed nearly enough for that and had to settle for going to my happy place for a few hours. I don't really remember about that part...I was in a zone and tuned just about everything out. I think I sent DH out for dinner while I discussed what kind of cabinets we wanted for our kitchen rennovation with my MIL , but I'm not too sure.

    I do remember the relief when I finally got the epidural, though. It let me relax enough to nap while I finished dilating. The doctors kept me on my left side almost the whole time - the baby's heartrate kept dropping otherwise - so the epidural ended up wearing off on that side by the time I was ready to push. I wasn't too happy about that, but it did at least let me feel when to push.

    Pushing was fun. It didn't hurt nearly as much as all the waiting - and I finally felt like I was doing something. DH was great - he held one of my legs and kept up a very detailed commentary while cheering me on. He thought watching her come out and cutting the cord was the coolest thing ever. (I don't know why that surprised me...he did ask to see my hemorrhoid after I complained about having one. Men. )

    The only thing I really disliked was the monitoring - for some reason it didn't pick up all of my contractions, so the doctor only had me pushing half the time. I got fed up with that and just did my own thing. It was much more effective - she crowned and then shot right out about five minutes later . I did end up with some tearing, but it was my own fault for getting impatient and going too fast.

    I got to hold her for a bit while they delivered the placenta, then DH wouldn't put her down. The nurse had to chase him around the bed a few times to get her measurements. She was perfect - we were worried about her being early, but everything was just fine. Honestly, I think she handled things better than I did .

    It still doesn't feel quite real yet - I can't believe she's mine and I get to keep her. She has my eyes and hair and DH's chin dimple...and the cutest little nose. It's very small and straight, and when she latches on or snuffles, she twitches it just like a little bunny. (I've taken to calling her baby bunny and silly rabbit when she makes the face at me.)

    She's also a drama queen already - she'll go from pitching a fit to posing for pictures the minute a flashbulb goes off. And she'll hold the pose for a few snaps, too. My MIL has some really great pics - I'll update again when I can get my hands on them.


    brand new!

    getting cleaned-up - look at those lips!

    Some fun birth trivia:

    DH took the wrong exit on the way to the hospital (we've lived in the area all our lives, been there multiple times, and his dad has been fixing the elevators there for at least the last 20 years).

    My water broke on my grandmother's 82nd birthday (8-7-09). Ellsabunny was only 1 hour and 47 minutes too late to be a birthday present.

    Because they waited till after midnight to deliver her, Ellsabunny was technically full-term according to their dates. (She was able to skip the NICU or any extra monitoring since she was officially 'full term'.)

    Jan, the best labor and delivery nurse ever, is a fellow knitter and after we got to chatting, we realized we both patronize the same local yarn shop.

    DH read Twilight the entire time I was in labor...I didn't mind since it kept him occupied, but he did keep trying to discuss it with me in between contractions. He now wants to watch the movie again.
    Last edited by jaders; 08-21-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Wife to Jason 11.21.07
    Mum to an angel 5.16.08
    Our big Ellsabunny 8.8.09
    And the wee Eclair 1.30.11

  5. #5


    My story begins on Sunday June 28. I was three days shy of being 30 weeks along. I had gotten up early that morning to see dh off to work and went and laid back down in my bed with Mason. I think it was around 7:30 that I woke up and felt a little wet down below. I got up to go to the bathroom and by the time I got there I was wet enough that fluid had started to drip down my leg. At that point I wasn't even positive if it was actually my water that broke (bcs it never did with Mason, ended up with a c/s) so I called my mom and she suggested that I call the doc. So I called the on call doc and she advised me to head to L&D. Dh headed home from work while I got ready and got Mason ready to be watched by MIL. All the while I'm getting ready the fluid is starting to leak more and more.

    So we head down to the hospital as soon as dh gets back and get all registered and blood drawn etc. By the time they get me into a little room in the triage my pants are soaked through. I got changed into the johnny and checked out by a doc who confirms that my water had ruptured. They gave me a quick u/s to check how baby was doing and he looked fine. After a bit of waiting they decided to send me up to a room on the high risk floor to monitor me. The doctor told me that I would be staying in the hospital until I delivered. They didn't think I would last more than two weeks, but more than likely I would deliver in a week. I got the first betamethasone shot to help LO's lungs develop and got hooked up to an IV for my antibiotics in case an infection developed.

    That afternoon we got a visit from a NICU doctor who gave us a run down of what to expect once the baby was born. They also started hooking me up to the contraction/HR monitor for the baby three times a day. The next day I had the second lung shot and a more thorough u/s that showed that the baby was fine but the fluid was fairly low. They estimated his size around 3lbs 6oz. At that point it became a waiting game. I would sit in the hospital getting monitored and hope to keep LO baking as long as possible. The doctors said that if nothing happened then they would deliver the baby at 34 weeks when the risk of infection outweighed the risk of having a preemie.

    So sit is what I did. DH brought Mason to visit every day and I had a fairly steady flow of visitors. After a week and a half they cut the monitoring back to twice a day because baby was doing so well, then they doctors gave me wheelchair priveleges so I could go around the hospital instead of being stuck in that one room. Everything was seemingly going fine. During my second week they gave me a BPP and baby was fine. I think they scored it an 8? I don't remember how that works The fluid was obviously still low, I think that's what he lost the points on.

    On July 20, after three full weeks of waiting in the hospital the doctors send me for another u/s. DH and I went down and the tech was new and had some trouble getting some of the shots so she had to call another woman to come help her. We were in there for quite a while and they were acting kind of funny so I could tell something was up. They kept rechecking things and looking at the results from the first u/s I had. But when I asked, they said everything looked fine... A few hours after going back upstairs my nurse that day came in the room and told me that I couldn't eat anything else for the rest of the day. After having a suprised look on my face she came out and told me that I was going to be having a baby that night but she wasn't supposed to tell me because the doctor wanted to. But she knew I was going to be like wth so she didn't want me worrying. (She was so funny about it lol, she ended up being one of my fave nurses there). I'm glad she did end up telling me though because another lady came to fill out some paperwork with me before the doc even came in to tell me anything so I would have figured it out anyway.

    When the doctor did finally come in she let me know that the u/s showed that the baby hadn't grown at all (and was technically measuring slightly smaller than the first u/s) and that there was harldy any fluid left and so it was best to deliver. Since he was still breach they had me go in for a c/s. I ended up having to wait until after 6pm to get brought down because I had already had lunch and you can't go unless your stomach is empty. DH brought Mason to his father's house and came back. My mom was already there because she had been visiting that day anyway. I went down a little after 6 and got all prepped. My regular ob had made it in time to come to the delivery (she couldn't technically deliver him because once I got transferred upstairs at the hospital I was under the MFM care there). I was so happy to have her there, she was so comforting. DH got all suited up and brought in.

    And at 7:29pm, Maddox James was born at 32weeks and 5days. He wasn't crying right away when he came out which had me a bit worried, but after a little stimulation he was fine. He weighed 4lbs 3oz and was 16.5 inches long. He didn't need any help breathing but they did end up giving him a bit of oxygen to make it easier. I got to see him for a minute before they brought him to the nicu. The doctor had told us that there was a knot in his cord which had probably caused him to not grow those last few weeks and it was a good thing they ended up delivering him when they did. After I spent an hour in the recovery room they wheeled me by the nicu to see him before going up to my room. He was hooked to an iv and in the warmer bed.

    Maddox spent a day and a half in the nicu then got transferred to the step down special care nursery. He started eating ebm the next day and never had any issues with his breathing (thank goodness for those shots). He spent 12 days total in the hospital and came home with us on Saturday August 1st.

    This is the night he was born, in the nicu:

    Here he is a few days before he came home:
    Last edited by Malacai; 08-22-2009 at 10:45 PM.

  6. #6

    Default it has been quite a few days! This birth is so much more complicated and different then I had expected! So let's see....why don't we start at the beginning.

    Ryan and I got to the hospital at 10am. But 10:30am, we were all checked in, hooked up to monitors, had the IV in (which was TORTURE!) and were basically ready to go. At noon, they did a final blood clotting draw and wheeled me into surgery. I was a bit nervous, but once I hit the OR, I was SUPER nervous. For some reason, the prospect of a second c/s was really scary to me. The spinal hurt this time around but it wasn't so so so bad. I think I just had all of these negative thoughts going through my head about the c/s. I decided while I was in there that I was not going to have any more children

    About 12:30pm, they brought Ryan in and started the surgery. Nicholas "Nico" Kiyoshi was born at 12:50pm and came out screaming! The doctor threw him over the screen for me to see, but he was covered in blood. So in turn, *I* became covered in blood. It was gross to tell you the truth. It was just dripping on me and I could do nothing about it! ICK! They cleaned him (and me up) took his vitals and sent him to the nursery with Ryan while they finished me up.

    They brought Nico to me in recovery (which I am SO grateful for) and we noticed he was wheezing. He continued to make this grunting noise the entire time I was with him.

    When we were ready to go to the postpartum room, he ended up going ahead of me. By the time I got down there, Nico was being seen by doctors. Finally one came in and told me of his breathing issue (apparently sometimes c/s babies don't have as mature of lungs because they don't go through the birthing process) and that they were sending him to the NICU. They brought him to me before he went in, so we saw him as an entire family (Addy was here at this point) and then he was off.

    Nico has been in the NICU since this time. He was in the incubator, hooked up to oxygen lines and IVs, and constantly monitored. Each day, he has made progress. He has been growing stronger and stronger each day, and I have been in to nurse him for every other feed!!! He latches on wonderfully and is an eager eater. We are hoping that he can come down and room in with us for our last day in the hospital. This little boy is such a strong willed fighter. We are so amazed by him and what he has done in his short time in this world so far.
    Last edited by KapDel; 09-14-2009 at 06:46 PM.

  7. #7
    Mega Poster Cassandra83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007


    Thursday Aug 27th My husband and I took the boys for a walk and then play at the park
    I was ready to go 2hrs laters cause my bladder was so full. By the time we got home and was walking up stairs felt like i had pee'd on myself. so i ran to the bathroom. 5 mins later i felt a like i pee'd on myself again. 20 min later I got this BIG gush all over the living room floor, so i knew my water had just broke.

    My didnt have any min on my phone and my husband had steped out o use the compter at libary. it was already going on 45 min and i started feeling contrations. @ my 38wk apt i was 2cm so i didnt know how far i was then. so I had to call 911. then they call my husband who had took the phone.

    We got to the hospital 30 min later and when i was checked I was 3.5cm Got to my Room 1hr later to start antibiotic cause i was + for stepB. My contrations had stoped and @6pm they started pitocin 2ml/hr. they had to keep increasing it cause my contractions was still 10 min apart. My mw cam in about 9pm and said i know how to get that smile off ur face up the pitocin and walked out a min later BAM i got a real bad contraction and they were 1.5m apart after that for 3hrs. I begged for a epi.

    B4 the epi i was 4.5cm got epi and still felt all the pain and worse. My mw checked me and I was 10cm. so while getting the epi i went from 4.5cm to 10cm in 20min. I puched 3x in the 1min and he was Out.

    Coby Ceiondre
    6lbs 9oz, 20.5 inches
    Aug 28,2009 12:07 38wks 4day

    Thanks ladies for reading we are doing good and more pictures to come

    Last edited by Cassandra83; 09-07-2009 at 01:27 PM.

    Wife to Chris 2-14-07
    Ds Cameren 8, Chris 5, Coby 4, Candace 1

    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

  8. #8
    Prolific Poster Katey4VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    South Carolina


    I want to congratulate all the mommas who have had their babies! I haven't been on here much, but I've been thinking about everyone here. Here is my very belated birth story...

    Dylan was born on August 28th at 5:40am. I was induced on August 27th. I was put on IV and was given pitocin. I went from 1 to 4 cm very quickly. The pain of the contractions was not too bad at that point. I did my breathing and that really helped a lot. When I reached 6 cm, I felt a lot more pain and asked for the epidural. I was scared to get one, but once I did, I felt so much better. About 20 minutes after the epidural I fell asleep and the nurse rushed in and laid me on my side. The baby's heart rate dropped to 80 and I was given oxygen and taken off the pitocin. I was still contracting on my own and the baby's heart rate went back up, so they just kept me off pitocin. This was around 4:00pm. At this time too my water broke and I went to 7 cm. From then on I only dilated to 8 cm. Doctor checked me at 11:30 and I was still at 8cm. he came back at 1:00 and I was still at 8cm. I was also running a fever at this time. He said I needed to c-section as my contractions were not regular anymore and my baor was not progressing. I remember crying becauseI did not want a c-section, but I knew that it was best for me and the baby.

    We had to wait a couple of hours before we could go to the OR because there was an emergency with a baby right before us, but then we went in and everything went quickly. At 5:40am, Dylan was born. He weighed 8lbs 12oz and was 21 inches long. He had a full had of dark hair. He is doing really well now. He just had his one eek appointment and has already gained back his birth weight. We just love him to pieces!

    This is his newborn picture. He's wearing a dress that has been in my DH's family for 90 years. All the newborn babies wear this dress, so it was really eat for Dylan to wear it too.

    DH: Jonathan 9/29/07

    DS: Dylan 8/28/09


  9. #9
    Super Poster WaitingForAnAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007


    Chelsea Faith
    10:43 AM

    Born at 36 weeks, 3 days
    5 lbs, 2 oz
    17 in. long

    It would NOT be an exaggeration nor cliche to call my pregnancy a "labor of love." It was easily the bravest thing I've ever done. We lost our first daughter at full term in April of 2008, and as terrified as I was to risk even the remote possibility of losing another child....I decided it was worth risking the loss --- in order to feel the joy and the love of a child in our lives.

    The end of my pregnancy was by far the scariest, each day felt scarier than the one before as I neared the time that I lost my beautiful Ashlyn. I was at the hospital COUNTLESS times due to fear related to decrease in/lack of movement. Due to our history, the plan was to deliver the baby between 36 and 37 weeks, as soon as her lungs were mature. At 36 weeks, our doctors decided to do an amnio to determine lung maturity as I was a complete wreck and they were genuinely concerned as to the physical effects on BOTH of us because of my extreme anxiety. Unfortunately the amnio done on Monday at 35 weeks, 6 days was JUST negative...and we were unable to deliver. They were confident, due to how close to positive it was, to predict her lungs would be mature even the next day, but to be safe the new plan was delivery on Friday: 3 days later. Those next 3 days were so scary for me, that I ended up in the hospital to stay in between due to what I could only describe as a decrease in movement. In addition, it was discovered that I had a significant decrease in amniotic fluid. Combined with the fact that the cord was around her neck, the concern began to mount. Delivery was still scheduled for Friday morning, but I was admitted for constant monitoring on Wednesday night. Was it for sure a decrease in movement? Or was it my anxiety? I guess I'll never know...But I felt that I needed to protect our sweet second daughter and was SO glad that my doctors were equally as proactive in admitting me. Did they admit me because they truly were concerned? Or was it simply to quell my anxiety? Again, I guess I'll never know. That next day and a half in the hospital I did finally feel some relief emotionally. I knew she was constantly on the monitor, and I finally could breathe.

    Friday Morning: I have never been so nervous. Even as the nurse wheeled me down to the operating room, tears were rolling down my face. As they prepped me for the c-section I still could not stop crying. I just kept praying that this sweet baby in my belly would be healthy and in my arms soon. To be honest, the next few minutes are a bit of a blur. I remember getting the spinal...I remember them bringing my husband in. And I remember the doctors talking about my history and the reasons behind her early delivery as they performed the surgery. But I don't remember much else. The next thing I knew, I felt tugging and pulling and then heard the sweetest most amazing sound in the entire world: my daughter's cry. My husband and I looked at each other and we both IMMEDIATELY began to sob. I think we both could not believe that we finally got the happy ending everyone kept telling us was coming. I kept asking if she was okay, and everyone in the room was telling me she was perfect. That her lungs were perfect, and that she was a "fiesty" little girl. Upon arriving to the nursery, we continued to get one piece of good news after another. She could NOT have been healthier, and was in fact healthier than most of the full term babies in the nursery!!!!!!

    Chelsea Faith is the greatest blessing and gift from God --- the sunshine has returned to my life and I keep feeling like I should pinch myself.... Am I really this lucky to be the Mommy of the most perfect, healthy, GORGEOUS little girl in the world?
    Last edited by WaitingForAnAngel; 09-06-2009 at 07:35 PM.
    Christine ( 28 )
    Frank ( 28 )
    Angel daughter in heaven, Ashlyn Marie 4/6/08
    Daughter on Earth, Chelsea Faith 8/28/09

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  10. #10
    Prolific Poster goldilockz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009


    Ok wow. Where to start? We got to L&D at 6:30ish and got our room. Got my IV just in case I needed it (wasn't hooked up). Dr. Tubbs giggle.gif was the Doc on call and he was great. He explained how it was going to go and we talked about Cytotec and the risks and benefits. He was very open to hearing my concerns and made me feel really comfortable. The nurses were fantastic. I can not even explain how great they were. They were attentive and sweet and hell bent on making sure I was comfortable and all.

    Started Cytotec at 10 till 7 am. The nurse asked at one point "How was that contraction? It was a bit one!" and I was like "What?" Turns out I've been having contractions for a while and just thought it was her hitting me. So the contractions started off pretty easy. The doc checked me and I was 1 cm and 75% effaced. They set their goal that I would be 2 cm and 80% by the end of their shift (8pm). I was fine with that. I could handle a slow labor if everyone is healthy and ok. That's how I felt at 9ish am laugh.gif

    So I was laboring for a while, pretty comfortable, until my doctor came in around 3 and checked me. I had only dilated to 2 cm, but that was the goal of the earlier shift so I was excited. While we were discussing the possibility of breaking my water, he broke my water. I started fuking bawling because he just DID IT. I thought S was going to punch him in the face.

    Alright, so whatever, that's done, might as well go with it. Contractions started getting a little stronger but they still weren't bad. Doc started talking about going right to pitocin at 5 pm. I was like... what's the hurry? He broke my water at 3 and wanted to go right to pitocin at 5? Wasn't happy about that.

    I was upset and so I told S to go get the nurse so I could talk to her. Even she said she was puzzled by his plan and did not agree with him just breaking the water while we were still discussing. She said to just refuse the pit until I'm ready.

    Blah blah blah, fast forward to me refusing to start pit, and saying I'd rather just keep laboring on my own and checking progress.

    Blah blah blah some more, he came back in at 8 pm (he was the on call overnight), and his tune changed drastically. I think the nurse or someone must have fussed at him giggle.gif So I was all going about it on my own as my contractions got more fierce and moved to my back. I was already walking around a lot, stretching, using the birthing ball, taking warm showers. That's when it got out of control. The pain was excruciating. I could handle the regular contractions, but the back labor was unbelievable. So I asked for some relief so I could get some sleep at least. Got some fentenol (sp?) at about midnight and the difference was incredible. I pretty much decided right then that I needed an epi. I just couldn't continue back labor on my own.

    So we discussing the epidural and pitocin. My progress was really slow. I was 3 cm at 2 am. WTH. Got the epi and pit and was trucking along, got about an hour nap when my left hip and back started getting very very painful. The anesthesiologist upped the dosage at 4 am, no change, it was like I didn't have an epi on that side. So he had to re-do the entire epidural. I got two epidurals woot.gif rofl.gif Honestly, the epis weren't that bad. Uncomfortable, but bearable. Got another about an hour nap.

    Then the contractions really started. I didn't reach 5 cm until about 7 am. So I was getting about a cm every 2 hours. I wasn't sure I could make it at that rate. I was exhausted from no sleep, miserable from being confined to the bed since 2 am. But, I was determined. I kept at it best I could. Progress sped up a bit, and I was 9 cm by 9 am. At about 9:30, I still had a lip over her head, and the cervix didn't want to move. We decided I'd start pushing and try to get her head past the lip.

    I pushed for 2 hours. At just before noon, I finally got her head past the cervix. At this point, I don't remember much. I would literally pass out from exhausted between pushing, and would miss the beginning of contractions because I couldn't keep my eyes open. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life.

    Because the progress was so slow (she simply would not descend), and I was so deliriously out of it from exhaustion, 29 hours into labor, I gave up. At just after noon, they wheeled me into the OR. They intended to numb me as per normal procedure. But guess what, the epidural wasn't getting to the left side. I felt everything when they did the pokey poke test. So much to mine and poor S's disappointment, I HAD to get general anesthesia.

    Adelaide was born at 12:43 pm via c-section. 21 inches and weighing in at a whopping 9 pounds. It turns out that she wouldn't have fit through my pelvic bones, and was even born with a bruise on top of her head from my pushing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions