Update - Mike had a phone interview today. He had two hours notice about it so he was a little nervous but he did great. the guy told him that at first glance he was going to pass on his resume but Mike's boss told him that Mike was worth looking at and pushed for him to give him a chance. I guess 10 minutes into the interview the guy told Mike that he really liked him and wanted to take it to the next level (sounds like a come on LOL). This interview was a screening interview. The interviewer has some input on the final decision but isn't the head honcho that makes the actual decision. So we don't know when but the company is going to fly us (Mike and I) out to their facility in IL for a face to face interview. I get to tag along since it is a new area and they want to make sure that we are comfortable with the move.
Crazy sh!t I tell ya. I am getting rather anxious.
Potentially is the key word because this is still a long shot.
So Mike (DH) has been a temp at his job for a little over six months now and while it is relatively stable contract work, it is obviously a goal to get a permanent position sometime soon. They have 16 other temps right now and upper management did preliminary interviews last Friday to kind of rank them for when a permanent position does open up. Mike did great during the interview, his boss said that all 3 corporate big wigs liked him the best. That is nice and all but we are still waiting for a position to open up hopefully soon because while the $ is ok there, Mike is stuck working a second job in the meantime for health insurance otherwise it would cost us an additional $1800/month through the temp agency.
During the interview, Mike was hitting it off with them and they asked him if he would consider relocating. Mike said that it was a little more complicated for him since he had a family but he would consider it at least. They mentioned to him a position in Marengo Illinois (1 hour west of Chicago) that they wanted to encourage him to apply for. Normally I would say no to him and so would Mike but this position is a jump in rank. The fact that they suggested it to Mike is kind of a shock because it jumps the 5-10 years experience requirement that they normally are strict about. It is a HUGE opportunity for his career. It is still a long shot but Mike has the recommendation and backing of these corporate guys and his supervisor who is the head of the local r&d lab which all speaks a lot too. So he is preparing for a phone interview this week and hopefully will get flown out to do a face to face interview after that. HR took his application and were "very excited" to have him apply. No other temps were asked if they were interested or even the people one step above Mike.
So basically it is a long shot still, but it seems possible at least. There is plenty of interest from this end but that doesn't mean that the hiring guy will give him a second glance from the IL end of things. The position has been open for a month and they have 2 other external candidates but according to HR the haven't jumped on anything because they "aren't too terribly interesting".
Anyways, enough details. If this happens for Mike we will be up and moving within a few weeks :eek:. This is so exciting yet scary and stressful I don't know what to think. I don't even want to get excited because it very well might not happen, yet I want to be prepared if it does. I don't want to think of selling our house yet, and not knowing anyone over there (other than maybe Christa ;)) is scary. I am sooooo spoiled here because we have free babysitting practically whenever we want it but there we would have no one. The small consolation is that it is only a 7 hour drive from here so it isn't like we're going cross contry or to another continent. Still, the day to day life will be totally different.
I needed to let all this out somewhere and I don't want to tell IRL friends about it yet (no FB please). Our parents know and they are supportive but sad (in that order). Please keep your fingers crossed that Mike gets the job, and if so that I don't have a nervous breakdown. I moved so much as a kid that I have had no desire to move cities for over a decade now. This is pretty life altering for me.