Hey - crunchy/granola/organic moms, I need you

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335
Hey - crunchy/granola/organic moms, I need you

I'm looking at baby lotion and stuff on Amazon and I was surprised to see that Johnson and Johnson has such bad reviews - even their more natural line. Apparently the pink lotion (my fav) has some cancer causing agents in it - um, no thanks!

So now I am looking for some new products to use for this LO. Any suggestions of lotions, baby wash, shampoo etc that would be great for Deacon and the baby but also not full of chemicals that could cause long term damage or cancer?

I really want to switch the whole family over to more healthy items but I really have no idea where to start and what ingredients to avoid. Paraben is what got the pink J&J the bad reviews. Can anyone suggest some other products? Even household items...shampoo, conditioner, body wash for adults and all the baby stuff.

I do like Arbonne but the cost is a bit prohibitive at times.

kris10gal's picture
Joined: 11/02/07
Posts: 1306

California Baby! I use them for everything, shampoo, bubble bath, sunscreen, bug spray (I'd check your bug spray that it doesnt have DEET). We don't do body lotion.

The site I always refer to is http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ They score products based on 0-10, 0 is best, 10 is most harmful.

I wish I knew the things I know now back when Jackson was a baby. We used Johnson & Johnson his first year of life. Colby's my clean-slate organic baby Smile

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

I was thinking the California baby line. Thanks for that link, I'll go read it.

I have always heard about the additives but never really thought much of it until recently. Now I am wanting to change everything and Jus is freaking out - LOL. Of course he thinks I'll buy everything through arbonne and we'll go broke.

Lavender444's picture
Joined: 03/27/03
Posts: 1944

Ditto. We're a CA Baby family too. I've used it since the kiddos were teeny and new. they make great products. the detangler is awesome too! it's the only way Ava let's me comb her hair.

It is a alot more pricy than the J&J stuff, but it last FOREVER! It's concentrated, so a little bit gets them clean from head to toe. Smile

For myself, I use Aveda products. I find when you go up in quality, you can go down in quanity used, so the price evens out.

kris10gal's picture
Joined: 11/02/07
Posts: 1306

Yep, don't be scared of the price. The bottles are big and we only use one pump for both boys!

I just got the bubble bath sampler and I'm totally in love.

I use the natural line from TJs.

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

Thanks for the info - especially the part about not shying away from the price. Makes sense that its more concentrated. I'm planning to go over that site today Kristen - what do the scores on the right mean...or where can I find out what they mean.

Aveda hu - I'll check it out.

Last night Justin said 'you aren't changing everything are you?' LOL

Lavender444's picture
Joined: 03/27/03
Posts: 1944

Lol! I let Graham use what he wants. He uses Nexxus, because it comes in huge pump bottles from Costco. And he thinks he needs 2 pumps of shampoo and conditioner to wash his hair. I always have to remind him he does not get that dirty and he does not have that much hair. :roll:

kris10gal's picture
Joined: 11/02/07
Posts: 1306

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/faq/

In the products section is, "How do you score ingredients and products?"

Hmm, has anybody tried Monkey Balm? http://babysteals.stealnetwork.com/

AshnBill's picture
Joined: 11/06/06
Posts: 5333

"Jenn0113" wrote:

Thanks for the info - especially the part about not shying away from the price. Makes sense that its more concentrated. I'm planning to go over that site today Kristen - what do the scores on the right mean...or where can I find out what they mean.

Aveda hu - I'll check it out.

Last night Justin said 'you aren't changing everything are you?' LOL

LOL! Did you tell him "Yep. You're next." ROFL

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"kris10gal" wrote:

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/faq/

In the products section is, "How do you score ingredients and products?"

Hmm, has anybody tried Monkey Balm? http://babysteals.stealnetwork.com/

Thanks - I must have not looked under that part. So when you look for a product what score are you looking for? A low number? Or the color of the score?

"AshnBill" wrote:

LOL! Did you tell him "Yep. You're next." ROFL

dang it - I should have!

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

"Jenn0113" wrote:

Thanks - I must have not looked under that part. So when you look for a product what score are you looking for? A low number? Or the color of the score?

You are ideally looking for green or 0-2. The Aveeno Baby Lotion I like is a 2, WHEW. lol 3-6 is moderate risk, etc. But if you look into the score, you will find that some of them are scored higher for allergen properties, nothing to do with cancer-causing properties, so look into the details. Sophia's Mixed Chicks shampoo/conditioner isn't on that site, bummer.

kris10gal's picture
Joined: 11/02/07
Posts: 1306

Yup, green is the best color, but ranges in score from 0-2, 0 is best. You can check makeup too Smile Although sometimes I don't like to know!

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"SID081108" wrote:

You are ideally looking for green or 0-2. The Aveeno Baby Lotion I like is a 2, WHEW. lol 3-6 is moderate risk, etc. But if you look into the score, you will find that some of them are scored higher for allergen properties, nothing to do with cancer-causing properties, so look into the details. Sophia's Mixed Chicks shampoo/conditioner isn't on that site, bummer.

I'm definitely more worried about cancer than allergens - especially after having our allergies tested, we aren't really allergic to things. Thanks for clarifying.

"kris10gal" wrote:

Yup, green is the best color, but ranges in score from 0-2, 0 is best. You can check makeup too SmileAlthough sometimes I don't like to know!

Me too - I want to look up all my cheap old make up but I'm scared it will be the worst - lol.

Lavender444's picture
Joined: 03/27/03
Posts: 1944

Well, FWIW, my stupidly expensive make-up is rated 7-9. :eek: Good thing I'm too lazy to put it on most days.

thank Goodness my Chapstick is a 2. That's the only thing I use regularly.

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"Lavender444" wrote:

Well, FWIW, my stupidly expensive make-up is rated 7-9. :eek: Good thing I'm too lazy to put it on most days.

I did think that maybe a few bad ratings would make me decide to go make up free from now on.

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

I have maybe worn makeup 3 times since Layla was born. I really need to get my act together in the "getting ready" department.

SoCaliLover's picture
Joined: 12/07/06
Posts: 1591

I am slowly getting better at moving toward an more organic chemical free life --with DH kicking and screaming behind me LOL I ordered some of that California Baby stuff yesturday, I am pretty sure that is what Adrienne got for Arya and I know she did a significant amount of research on baby products.

I am bad about makeup, I wear very little of it --just light foundation and powder and a little eyeliner. Don't really care that much LOL