RQOD --Tuesday

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
SoCaliLover's picture
Joined: 12/07/06
Posts: 1591
RQOD --Tuesday

Do you take vitamins? Which ones? Do you give your LOs vitamins?

SoCaliLover's picture
Joined: 12/07/06
Posts: 1591

I've gotten kinda ridiculous about vitamins cause I feel like I am getting old!. I take a multi vitamin, a B complex, Calcium with potassium and magnesium (which has really really helped with Restless leg Syndrome!) and Fish Oil. I have them sitting on my desk at work cause otherwise I forget to take them.

We have gummy vitamin's for Zayden but I usually forget to give them to him!

kris10gal's picture
Joined: 11/02/07
Posts: 1306

I am finishing up my post natal/nursing vitamins. I'm not sure what I'll take after I finish those, possibly just take the kid's gummies along with my LOs? Once a day Jackson takes his gummy multivitamin, flouride, and then I choose one more for him daily out of a variety of different gummy vitamins I have (I chose from either Zinc/Vitamin C, Calcium, or Omega 3s). He knows where they are and asks for them, or I would never remember.

Joined: 12/06/11
Posts: 45

haha funny you ask...I just started taking pre-natal vitamins! Wink Those things have really improved since last time, I got the gummy ones and they taste pretty good.

Lavender444's picture
Joined: 03/27/03
Posts: 1944

I take 4000 IU of Vitamin D every morning. I have drops I add to my coffee. Before bed I take Bioten, a multi-vitamin and Calcium. During my AF I add in extra Iron, if I don't feel like eating enough iron rich foods to get it in.

I make DH take a multi, Zinc, Vitamin C, B6 and B12. With his travel and working crazy hours I worry about him getting sick from a surpressed immune system. He is suppose to take Fish Oil as well, but he rarely remembers to take them.

The kids take 2000 IU of Vitamin D in the mornings. Then 1/2 a Flintstone chewable after dinner.

SoCaliLover's picture
Joined: 12/07/06
Posts: 1591

"CAMZphoto" wrote:

haha funny you ask...I just started taking pre-natal vitamins! Wink Those things have really improved since last time, I got the gummy ones and they taste pretty good.

Umm, have something you need to share with the class? ROFL

keops's picture
Joined: 04/01/08
Posts: 813

I take nothing at all Wink

Tanylisa's picture
Joined: 08/30/07
Posts: 770

I take Flintstone vitamins, I was taking two while pregnant but now I only take one, and I also take fish oil to help with my cholesterol. Jack won't chew vitamins so I give him liquid vitamins and his flouride drops.

asteuck's picture
Joined: 10/30/07
Posts: 355

I don't take any. Neither do the girls. I've wondered if I should be giving Alyssa some.
I always have good intentions of taking them myself but I never remember!

serwachic's picture
Joined: 01/01/10
Posts: 178

If I remember, I take Vitamin D, but that usually ends up being only a couple of times a week. Jude gets a gummy vitamin once a day, and it's probably his favorite part of the day. Seriously - boy loves him some vitamins! I was giving Cohen the poly vy sol vitamin drops once a day and once he's 2, I'll give him gummy vitamins with Jude.

Shawn and I should probably be taking multi-vitamins, it just never seems like a priority to buy them.

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

"Lavender444" wrote:

I take 4000 IU of Vitamin D every morning. I have drops I add to my coffee. Before bed I take Bioten, a multi-vitamin and Calcium. During my AF I add in extra Iron, if I don't feel like eating enough iron rich foods to get it in.

I make DH take a multi, Zinc, Vitamin C, B6 and B12. With his travel and working crazy hours I worry about him getting sick from a surpressed immune system. He is suppose to take Fish Oil as well, but he rarely remembers to take them.

The kids take 2000 IU of Vitamin D in the mornings. Then 1/2 a Flintstone chewable after dinner.

Amber - 1) I should totally make my DH take vitamins...he doesn't eat all day, just drinks coffee, and he barely gets any sleep. 2) Do your kids not drink very much milk, or should I be giving my kids Vitamin D? (what I mean is, do you know something I don't know?? LOL) I always thought if your kids drank a decent amount of milk they got enough Vitamin D, but I honestly don't know much about vitamins at all...it seems like you do Smile

Sophia takes 2 gummy vites every night that I bought at Costco. She reminds me...I never remember. Once Layla stops drinking formula (less than a month) I'll start her on Poly Vi Sol drops. I drink Spark (by Advocare) every morning, which has some vitamins in it, and take fish oil when I remember (which is not as often as I should). DH takes Dayquil. LOL Seriously he lives on that stuff...you would think he thinks it is his daily vitamin!

kris10gal's picture
Joined: 11/02/07
Posts: 1306

"SID081108" wrote:

Amber - 1) I should totally make my DH take vitamins...he doesn't eat all day, just drinks coffee, and he barely gets any sleep. 2) Do your kids not drink very much milk, or should I be giving my kids Vitamin D? (what I mean is, do you know something I don't know?? LOL) I always thought if your kids drank a decent amount of milk they got enough Vitamin D, but I honestly don't know much about vitamins at all...it seems like you do Smile

Sophia takes 2 gummy vites every night that I bought at Costco. She reminds me...I never remember. Once Layla stops drinking formula (less than a month) I'll start her on Poly Vi Sol drops. I drink Spark (by Advocare) every morning, which has some vitamins in it, and take fish oil when I remember (which is not as often as I should). DH takes Dayquil. LOL Seriously he lives on that stuff...you would think he thinks it is his daily vitamin!

From my understanding, vitamin D assists calcium absorption along with other things. So even if they're getting enough calcium, if they're not getting enough Vitamin D, it's not doing any/as much good. You can get Vitamin D naturally from the sun, but most don't. HTH, but Amber please chime in!

Lavender444's picture
Joined: 03/27/03
Posts: 1944

Carrie- 1. My Ped thinks the FDA is way behind in their Vitamin D research, and everyone should be taking a supplement. The FDA requirements are 500 IU a day. She says that the kiddos should take 2000 iu a day, and DH and I should take 4000-6000 IU. She says even if you stand in sunshine 24 hours a day on cloudless days, 365 days a year we are not able to get in enough of what we need. Vitamin D is important for moods, energy, absorption of Calcium, it enhances the functions of other vitamin, and she thinks it's a major factor in preventing cancers. She is one of the brightest Doctors I work with, so I trust what she says.

and 2. Your hubby takes Dayquil every day? yuck! What does he take it for?

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

"Lavender444" wrote:

Carrie- 1. My Ped thinks the FDA is way behind in their Vitamin D research, and everyone should be taking a supplement. The FDA requirements are 500 IU a day. She says that the kiddos should take 2000 iu a day, and DH and I should take 4000-6000 IU. She says even if you stand in sunshine 24 hours a day on cloudless days, 365 days a year we are not able to get in enough of what we need. Vitamin D is important for moods, energy, absorption of Calcium, it enhances the functions of other vitamin, and she thinks it's a major factor in preventing cancers. She is one of the brightest Doctors I work with, so I trust what she says.

and 2. Your hubby takes Dayquil every day? yuck! What does he take it for?

Interesting, thanks for the info! I did look at Sophia's multi-vit last night and saw that it said "with added Vitamin D"...now I'll have to look and see how much it has in it and see if I need to add more. I also looked at my Spark and it has way more than 100% of the daily recommended value of several vitamins (C, B-6, B-12) but no D. And DH and I don't drink milk so we are probably getting very little vitamin D. I should pay more attention to this stuff.

DH has bad allergies and he gets a lot of sinus headaches from them but he is too cheap to take his prescribed allergy medicine regularly, which is like $50 a month since most allergy meds are OTC now. So he used to live on Sudafed Sinus and Headache, but they quit making it and the latest thing that he feels helps him is Dayquil so now that's his drug of choice. He doesn't take it every day but he does take it a lot and I'm always giving him a hard time about it. I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be used that way, the guy takes OTC meds like they are water (which I am also guilty of, to some extent, but I swear he is way worse than me!)

Lavender444's picture
Joined: 03/27/03
Posts: 1944

Interesting. I have allergies too. They are awful and I pop allergy pills like they are tic tacs. But I need the D versions, the real sudafed to make any sort of difference. If I wasn't so scared to get an allergy test, I'd just go in and get the shots. I think my insurance would cover them and my out of pocket would be cheaper. I do get the generic version of Zyrtec D and that helps bring the cost down by half, but it's still more than I'd like to spend.

Allergies totally stink! When I was little we had tons of dogs, cats and horses we kept on our property. My sisters and my mom were always complaining about allergies. I didn't have them when I was little so I was all, "WHat's the big deal? It's just a little sniffle." Man, am I eating my words! I think I grew into them as a punishment.

AshnBill's picture
Joined: 11/06/06
Posts: 5333

Carrie, I am cracking up at your dh's habits. He doesn't sound very healthy! LOL

I should be taking a Prenatal still...but I forget all the time. Need to remember that!

Miles gets Poly-Vi-Sol w/Iron. He won't take the gummy or chewable ones. Imagine that.

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

"AshnBill" wrote:

Carrie, I am cracking up at your dh's habits. He doesn't sound very healthy! LOL

I KNOW! Luckily he eats healthy (although only 1 meal a day during the work week) or I'm sure he'd have dropped dead by now! I am always on him to drink more water, too. The man lives on coffee. Coffee and Dayquil, what a combo. LOL

So I looked at Sophia's vitamin and it only has 220iu of Vitamin D. I'll have to look for a D supplement for her. I also keep meaning to ask her doc for a flouride supplement since she doesn't drink tap water, and I'm totally slacking on that.

AshnBill's picture
Joined: 11/06/06
Posts: 5333

1 meal a day? How does he do that? I eat like, 7 meals a day. LOL!

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

"AshnBill" wrote:

1 meal a day? How does he do that? I eat like, 7 meals a day. LOL!

He just doesn't eat while he works. He says eating makes him tired. In the morning he drinks coffee and sometimes eats a banana, or one piece of plain bread. I dont' really consider that a meal, but I guess you could. Then he works a straight 10 hours or more without stopping for lunch. He drinks more coffee, or sometimes coke, or sometimes an energy drink. He rarely eats anything during the day. He is going going going all day so I don't think he really has time to think about eating or being hungry (if he had a desk job I'm sure it would be different) Then he comes home and eats a big dinner and falls asleep on the couch. So clearly eating does make him tired. LOL

I bought him these Corazonas Heart Healthy Oatmeal Squares and I try to get him to take one with him to eat during the day, but he usually doesn't remember, or if he does I find them stocked up in this car :rolleyes: Occasionally he will eat them. It's obviously not healthy for someone to be moving all day and not eat anything for energy or drink any water!

serwachic's picture
Joined: 01/01/10
Posts: 178

Wow, Carrie - that's crazy! I get shaky and cranky if I don't eat for three hours! Do you think his health suffers from fasting like that during the days, or does it seem to work for him?

Lavender444's picture
Joined: 03/27/03
Posts: 1944

Coffee, Dayquil, energy drinks and coke? Do his feet touch the ground at all during the day, or does he just fly? Blum 3

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

"serwachic" wrote:

Wow, Carrie - that's crazy! I get shaky and cranky if I don't eat for three hours! Do you think his health suffers from fasting like that during the days, or does it seem to work for him?

It seems to work for him, I guess. He says it's his "diet", like it's his way of staying a healthy weight. I always tell him that any nutritionist will tell you to eat small meals throughout the day, not starve yourself all day and eat one big meal at night, but hey, at his last doctor's visit the doctor told him he could lose 5 pounds (FIVE) if he wanted to be at his "ideal healthy weight" so I guess it's working for him. LOL I do think it will change if he ever gets a different kind of job...I think right now it's just easier for him not to take time to eat and then subsequently feel like he wants to take an afternoon siesta. His days are too crazy.

Log in or register to post comments