choosing a c-section?? wth!!?? (xp)

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454
choosing a c-section?? wth!!?? (xp)

So while Im watching a baby story on tlc , this woman is on here having her baby via c-section... just because she wanted one!! Im at a loss for words!! Even the doctor said that they elected to have the surgery because after weighing the pros and cons it was best for them. This was this woman's first baby and there were no medical problems or reasons to need a c-section !! I just don't understand some women's mindset... why would you want to do that if it wasn't needed rather than have a vaginal delivery?? I remember reading that Christina Aguilera chose to do this same thing because she didn't want to go through the pains of labor and what birthing her baby might do to her vagina! Ugghhh sorry if Im overreacting, this is just a very sore subject with me, as I don't feel that this should be allowed unless there's a legitimate medical reason for it... and I think that her doctor is a greedy little jerk for allowing her to do this!! Im not wanting this to be a debate thread, but I couldn't help but share my frustrations!!

lily0624's picture
Joined: 03/21/07
Posts: 591

i used to think that i'd rather a c-section because i just couldn't wrap my head around pushing a baby out my vagina. but then i realized that a c-section is MAJOR surgery! and you know what, my vagina healed in no time even with all the tearing and stitches and all that.

i think alot of women maybe just aren't educated about their choices. i try not to pass judgement but yeah, i think that electing for a c-section just seems a little silly unless it's necessary!

i met a girl who had a c-section because "vaginal delivery is just disgusting." and she bottle fed only because "breastfeeding is just sick."

those are the type of people you just smile at and move away from!

Joined: 02/20/11
Posts: 865

Im sure there are a couple of good reasons for electing for a c section, but just "because" isnt a good one. I think of my friend who had one at 36 weeks because her mom was dying and she wanted her to see the baby. Another friend had one at 37 so her husband could meet the baby before he was deployed. Those seem reasonable to me as long as the baby is cooked and ready to go.

I know that a lot of stars are opting for csections at 37 weeks because it reduces stretch marks. A scar is easier to cover stretched out skin. Seems silly to mebut to each his own.

What really bugs me, is that I am on a thread on Facebook and everyone on there is being induced!!! Not because they have Pre E, or a history of complications, or allergies to medications that need watching (like me), or danger to the baby. They are being induced at 38 weeks because they are sick of being pregnant. Thats the reason, I am tired of being pregnant so take the baby early. Most of them seem to end up with c sections.

I know that malpractise insurance on doctors who only perform c sections is much less, so there are lots of doctors who do not do vaginal births anymore, period. Others I get the feeling want to schedule the births so that they dont have to come in at all hours of the night. *sigh*

I highly recommend watching The Business of Being Born by Ricki Lake. Its an amazing documentary, whether you agree with it all or not.

Joined: 02/07/12
Posts: 463

I can't say that I choose my c-section for medical reasons.. But after my first labor at 52 hours ending in a c-section I was not about to have a repeat so I choose to have a c-section for personal reasons. For one I was not about to go through a very long painful labor only to not have any progress and not be able to get an epidural until hour 48 because of no progress.

I'm not saying I agree with choosing to have a c-section for the hell of it because the healing process can be very painful. But sometimes the fear of going into labor may be the cause of actually choosing to have a c-section. I know I was scared out of my mind to go through it all over again. Heck the first time I was scared as well, but I didn't ask to have a c-section cause I really didn't think I had that choice.

Now who knows what would have happened the second time if I didn't ask for a c-section, maybe I could have a vaginal delivery, maybe my body would have done something differently. Either way the second time around I was too afraid to even consider the possibility of having a repeat.. thats just me though....

Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

"SamanthaX3" wrote:

I can't say that I choose my c-section for medical reasons.. But after my first labor at 52 hours ending in a c-section I was not about to have a repeat so I choose to have a c-section for personal reasons.

I feel like that is an entirely legit medical reason!!! The stress and anxiety certainly couldn't have helped had you attempted a vaginal birth.

I was just saying on the December board that I think it's completely nutty to just choose a c-section for no reason. I feel like it wasn't until after my c-section class that I felt really strongly that I would like to take that tiny tiny tiny possibility that I might be able to have a vaginal birth. C-section recovery sounds brutal. Oh well.

Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

"lily0624" wrote:

i met a girl who had a c-section because "vaginal delivery is just disgusting." and she bottle fed only because "breastfeeding is just sick."

This attitude is hilarious to me because I'm actually pretty grossed out by the entire pregnancy thing. Like the fact that there are small people wiggling about in my belly every time I eat or poop totally freaks me out. So yeah, little people coming out of vaginas and sucking on boobs is pretty gross ... but no grosser than the rest of this whole process! I guess I'm just in mammal mode now and, as freaky as it all is, I can't imagine choosing a c-section and formula for those reasons!

Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

"Freesia34" wrote:

They are being induced at 38 weeks because they are sick of being pregnant. Thats the reason, I am tired of being pregnant so take the baby early.

I would like to agree, but if I make it to 37 weeks, this could totally be me. I'm getting really nervous about the final few weeks with twins in the belly and how bad it's supposed to suck!

Nikerz20's picture
Joined: 04/18/09
Posts: 673

Across here in New Zealand, you cannot elect to have a C-section unless medically necessary. You can't outright say I want a c-section because it's easier than pushing a baby out of my vagina.

annestacy's picture
Joined: 05/31/09
Posts: 473

I honestly think that pushing a baby out of a vagina would be much easier than the recovery from a c-section. I wish I hadn't had a c-section, but I have a healthy baby and an extra battle wound on my belly to show for it.

That being said, in my area, finding docs who do vbac's is next to impossible. Even if you travel to the next biggest city, Syracuse, an hour away, its really hard to find a doctor. You'd have to travel an hour and a half in the other direction to get to a city where vbac's are more common.

I guess you *could* say that by not pursuing a vbac, I am choosing a c-section? I would rather attempt a vaginal birth, but geographically, I am quite limited. I would NEVER choose a c-section for reasons of reducing stretch marks, convenience, etc. unless it was for the reasons above (spouse deploying, parent passing, etc.)

Joined: 02/07/12
Posts: 463

"annestacy" wrote:

I honestly think that pushing a baby out of a vagina would be much easier than the recovery from a c-section. I wish I hadn't had a c-section, but I have a healthy baby and an extra battle wound on my belly to show for it.

That being said, in my area, finding docs who do vbac's is next to impossible. Even if you travel to the next biggest city, Syracuse, an hour away, its really hard to find a doctor. You'd have to travel an hour and a half in the other direction to get to a city where vbac's are more common.

I guess you *could* say that by not pursuing a vbac, I am choosing a c-section? I would rather attempt a vaginal birth, but geographically, I am quite limited. I would NEVER choose a c-section for reasons of reducing stretch marks, convenience, etc. unless it was for the reasons above (spouse deploying, parent passing, etc.)

Can't you just say no I am not having a c-section if you don't want one and then go in when you are in labor. They can't force you, or at least I don't think they can. Does anyone know what a doctor can do to you or about it if you don't want a c-section and they are saying you have to just because you had a previous one?

annestacy's picture
Joined: 05/31/09
Posts: 473

In order to do that, I'd have to be transferred to a hospital that is in the next bigger city...the one that is an hour away...
OH, and I'd have to have a spouse who is on board with it...but that's another story!!!
My doctor said he would be happy to help me find someone who would do a VBAC, but did tell me that it was very difficult in this area to find someone...and in talking with other mom's this was confirmed. A few years ago there were two cases of uterine ruptures, one resulting in the death of the baby...and now the docs in this area are really trigger shy. Which is unfortunate. Beee

MelanieP's picture
Joined: 09/25/09
Posts: 882

I try not to judge but....I don`t get the scheduling of c-sections due to not wanting stretch marks etc. I want to telll these people that they don`t know how lucky they are to be making it to term with a healthy baby. Everyone has a right to choose what is best for them and their situation but so many people take things for granted. I even feel weird when I tell people that we are doing a c-section at 38+ weeks. I am almost embarassed and I quickly ramble on all of the medical reasons we are doing it.

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

I agree with almost everything you ladies are saying. I know that there are a thousand different reasons for a woman legitimately needing a c-section, from being in labor for two days with zero progress to multiples to breech presentations. The main reason I brought this up was my outrage towards these women (and their doctors!) that just choose to have this complicated surgery out of their own vanity. Like someone else said here, there are thousands of women out there, many of them on this board, that would do just about anything to be able to get pregnant and have a baby... it just drives me nuts!!

Joined: 11/01/07
Posts: 650

This is an issue/debate that will always be out there. If it is available/offered women will take the opportunity to do it. It is something like elective plastic surgery in my eyes. There are more risks with a c section but with medical technology today, those risks are slimmer than they used to be. As far as costs, probably depends on your insurance. Mine is the same regardless. With a vaginal I get to stay 48 hrs and 96 hrs with a c section.

I had a horrible experience with my first delivery. It all seemed fine and dandy, I progressed fairly quickly, epi worked well, DS was fine. But when I pushed for almost 2 hrs with no progress since his head/neck were at an odd angle/tiled, forceps had to be used. I suffered a 3rd degree (almost 4th degree) tear. It took forever to heal. I could barely sit down. Lots of incontinence issues (I also had bladder issues before pregnancy). I had friends who had c sections who healed quicker than I did. I am petite and pretty small framed and DS height was in the 95-99th percentile when he was born. He was really crammed in there. This time around since we have had ultrasounds every 4 weeks since July, the docs are estimating a big baby. So I fear delivery even more now, esp since I have a toddler to take care of too. Plus we have the kidney/dilated renal pelvis stuff. I told one of the docs my fear of delivery after my first. She said we could discuss a c section as we got closer to my due date. I see her on the 18th. With that, a big baby and the kidney issues, a c section is definitely on my mind. Not sure if those are "medical reasons" or "elective" reasons. I trust what my docs recommend for me. If I did not trust them, I would go to another practice. And I have done my own research extensively. I think a woman also knows what is best for them and their family. I disagree with women who want to preserve their lady parts and have a c section for pure convenience. I would not have a c section for that reason.

Just my 2 cents...

jeepbaby's picture
Joined: 11/08/07
Posts: 492

"Freesia34" wrote:

What really bugs me, is that I am on a thread on Facebook and everyone on there is being induced!!! Not because they have Pre E, or a history of complications, or allergies to medications that need watching (like me), or danger to the baby. They are being induced at 38 weeks because they are sick of being pregnant. Thats the reason, I am tired of being pregnant so take the baby early. Most of them seem to end up with c sections.

Ughhh! My doc actually wants me to think about being induced. I had a very shrot labor with DD and mover further away from the hospital; she is afraid I will deliver in the car. I have told her no way! (unless something comes up medically) She even admits inductions hurt worse because you are forcing your body to do something it is not ready for! I don't think so.... not for me!

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

"jeepbaby" wrote:

Ughhh! My doc actually wants me to think about being induced. I had a very shrot labor with DD and mover further away from the hospital; she is afraid I will deliver in the car. I have told her no way! (unless something comes up medically) She even admits inductions hurt worse because you are forcing your body to do something it is not ready for! I don't think so.... not for me!

I was induced with my second and third babies, and that pit makes the contractions so much worse! With my second, I went in for my 39 week check up and I was already dialted 5 CM, and I hadn't even felt any contractions. Being that it was my second baby, they didn't want me to go home and God forbid my water break and I dialate the other 5 CM withing 20 or 30 minutes, so they sent me right over to be induced. With DD, by the time I was 39 weeks I was in excrutiating pain "down there", like I was having contractions every time I would walk for more than 5 mintues (but not that they were leading anywhere, I had been dialated 2 CM for a couple of weeks), and it felt like she was going to fall out. So instead of putting me on bed rest for another week or so they went ahead and induced me. I really want to just go into labor on my own with this baby, because I know I can handle the normal contractions, but not the ones that are brought on by pitocin... with that I'm pretty much begging for the epi lol!

Joined: 02/20/11
Posts: 865

I was induced for Melodie as well. My water broke and nothing happened, so induction after eight hours was a good choice. I have nothing to compare it to, but the picotin contractions hurt A LOT. I was so happy to have the epidural I actually told the dr. that I loved her!

This time, Ill be induced as well, but so that I lower my chances of dying. Id love to go all natural but its not in the cards, my kids need their mom!!

(before anyone judges me for this, I had the same problem the first time but no one told me how serious it was. If I had known I wouldn't have risked having another baby, but I didn't and here I am and I am ecstatic shes going to be in our lives)