Not happy with my dr.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
brady_bunch_plus_one's picture
Joined: 11/27/04
Posts: 399
Not happy with my dr.

After some medical issuses my dr insisted that I stop nursing so I could try some new medication for migraines. So I stopped nursing Landon. Well long story short my pediatrican said I could take imitrex and still nurse. I am NOT happy about this. I went through about 4 days of horrible almost unbearble pain waiting for my milk to dry up and now I find out that I didnt even really have to stop nursing so I am dealing with some major guilt over that.I was ok with not nursing if I couldnt but now that I know there is no reason I cant be nursing I am feeling horribly guilty about it. My pediatrican is a breastfeeding **** and insists I can relactate and feed him pretty easily. I did that with my daughter and she refused to latch back on and I spent about 6 months pumping and that was NOT fun. I have gone back and forth with this all day and cant decide what to do.I know it will take alot of work. Lots of pumping lots of nursing and lots of paitence. I have an appt with a lacation consultant on Monday and the dr has insisted that I start pumping every 2 hours during the day between now and then to give myself a start to re establishing supply.
So I know this is a personal choice but would you just leave well enough alone and leave him on formula? He is still getting 2 bottles of breastmilk that I had in the freezer everyday so he is still getting something just not sure what I should do.

kmm123's picture
Joined: 12/13/08
Posts: 1839

Well I think you should do whatever is best for you.

If you're asking what I would do - I would probably feed him as often as possible from breast and try to get my milk going again. But that's me. While I find BF'ing exhausting initially over the long run I find it much easier. I like not having to worry about bottles or deal with clean up and I like knowing his food is coming from me. So I'd be offering constantly. I'd probably do more of that than pumping personally as my body responds pretty easily to the baby.

But again this is me. There's nothing wrong with formula and there's nothing wrong with being ok with not nursing if it works for you!

ashamom27's picture
Joined: 07/06/06
Posts: 1010

Amber, I would do more research to find out what side effects there might be from nursing while on that medicine. Then, if there are no side effects for sure ( since 2 different doctors seem to disagree) I would do what Katie said. Just try and see if you can get him to latch and re-lactate.

kmm123's picture
Joined: 12/13/08
Posts: 1839

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html

Kellymom lists it as an approved C and L3

C RISK CANNOT BE RULED OUT:
Adequate,well-controlled human studies are lacking, and animal studies have shown a risk to the fetus or are lacking as well. There is a chance of fetal harm if the drug is administered during pregnancy; but the potential benefits may outweigh the potential risks

L3 MODERATELY SAFE:
There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women, however the risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible; or, controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.

lil96's picture
Joined: 03/27/06
Posts: 573

I think it is difficult to say. There seems to be conflicting info on the meds.
When I took meds that were unsafe for bfing, I didn't bg for the 24 hrs or whatever until it cleared my system. During that time I pumped n dumped. I did use formula as needed (but my baby was already 6+months, so he could have food too).

When I had those meds it was sort of an emergency, administered by a dr type thing. In other situations, I had been offered prescription meds not proven safe for bfing, not life threatening and decided to tough it out. (not saying you should do that)

I think if I were in your situation, I would try to relactation thing (if the meds cleared my system, if it hadn't then pump n dump), if it worked that would be great. (I used to have a blinkie that said, "Too lazy to ff" or something, and that is so true of me!) If it doesn't work out, then don't beat yourself up over it. You did what you were told and you didn't want to harm your baby. How would you feel in the opposite situation, if you had taken the meds, continued to bf, then given your baby brain/liver/kidney damage? You made a safe decision, nothing bad with that.

Jenni Beth's picture
Joined: 03/03/11
Posts: 1407

If bfing is that important to you then try to relactate. I had such issues with my supply and such that relactating would probably not work at all for me so I would just let it go and ff. But that is me. I'm not one of those women who has the 'problem' of having 'way too much milk'. It seems like bfing was going well for you so it might not be too hard to accomplish. I'd ask both doctors what their rationale is behind your Rx being safe vs unsafe and then make a decision. Good luck!

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

"ashamom27" wrote:

Amber, I would do more research to find out what side effects there might be from nursing while on that medicine. Then, if there are no side effects for sure ( since 2 different doctors seem to disagree) I would do what Katie said. Just try and see if you can get him to latch and re-lactate.

This. I would check with ten doctors if need be to make sure that there won't be any harmful side effects to your baby while taking this medication... that's the most important thing. If they give you the OK, then like you said, it's really just a personal choice. Obviously BF is easier, cheaper, and healthier for baby... but it would be a time consuming and frustrating thing to try and get your supply back up to what it was. And the latching issue as well would be very frustrating (I went through it with DD!). In the end you have to do whatever is best for you. If it were me I would go the BF route no matter what the headaches... but mainly because formula is so damn expensive...

Summer05's picture
Joined: 09/18/05
Posts: 790

Sorry your doctor is such an *sshat. Better to be safe than sorry yes, but drying up is painful.. so it seems strange advice to me. I hate how drs give you half info and rush you out the door, I think more/better communication is what's needed. L4 I would stay away from, but the L3 seems worth a little further research? Hope you are doing okay today whatever you decide
:bighug:

sweetsriracha's picture
Joined: 03/29/11
Posts: 1318

I just wanted to say that we're here to support you with whatever choice you end up making! A healthy, happy Mama is critical to a healthy, happy baby. I spend over two hours per day attached to my pump to try and increase my chronic low supply - I CAN'T imagine that responsibility with other children. Would I be correct to assume that your ped is a man and/or has never tried to relactate? LOL. It is HARD work and relactating would be a bonus, since Landon can thrive on formula!!!!

In terms of relactating, the chances are definitely on your side! I recently read the success rate is 95% if your baby is less than 3 months old.