We've never used any BC except NFP, and never really intended to. We've been married almost six years and just these two babies, so on the surface it seems like our 'method' works well for spacing babies. However, I just had surgery for endometriosis last November (this baby is due just a few days before my surgery date, so almost exactly one year later) and that almost certainly makes me much more fertile. It actually makes me nervous, because I got pretty sick after DD was born with what my doctor said sounded like Rheumatoid Arthritis. But aside from a slightly raised rheumatoid factor, all my blood work came back great and after a while the symptoms went away on their own.
However just a few months ago my mom was diagnosed with RA and she's super sick with it. :( She can't open anything by herself anymore, it seems, and she's in so much pain and so exhausted all the time. Anyway, it made me think back to that episode after DD and wonder if I could have early stage RA, too. My mom has had mild symptoms for years, but her doctors always brushed it off as 'regular' arthritis. Anyway, my mom's doctor told me that if I have the same symptoms again, I need to see a rheumatologist ASAP.
The problem with that is that pretty much every RA drug is contraindicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Most of them are pregnancy category X kind of drugs. So potentially, DH and I have some serious questions to think about. We definitely want at least one more child, but how much do we want to play with my health in order for that to happen? Because once we decide to use the drugs, we probably have to decide we're done with kids for good. :(
Of course, at this point this is all speculation. We'll have to see how I feel after the baby comes. But there is a genetic component to RA, so it's something we need to be watching out for just in case.
After DS1 i had the mirana (you can breast feed and not have it effect supply). For me it caused me to bleed all the time. Not huge amounts, just enough to need a pad so my undies didnt turn pink, but it was annoying. Ive had several friends that have them and love them. So does my sister.
After DS2 i started charting after I thought my cycle hadreturned when he was about 7 months. It wasnt my usual heavy one, so I wasnt sure if it was a period or break through. According to my charting I never ovulated... And my bleeding was never my normal, and was over 38 days apart. Well, obviously I did ovulate at sone point, and it never showed in charting, becauae here DD is lol. After DD i went on the mini pill, and dudnt get a period till I weaned her at a year.
DH is adament that he is done this time, and informed me that he is scheduling his Vas after the baby is born and hoping to get it done before my 6 week check up. So, we will see lol
Harmony, that's a lot to think about and consider. ((hugs))
Mona, my husband jokes that he'll cut me off with kids by getting a vasectomy. :p I keep saying "next baby," and DH gets a bit wide eyed but admits that he's not ready to cut off his fertility yet. And the man refuses to use condoms and knows I'm not going to do anything beyond some basic FAM, so I assume at some point I'll have #3. After that it'll be a wait and see approach. Part of me wants a big family (like 5 or 6 kids!). Another part of me can't imagine PCSing (military move) around the world with a huge family and all the issues that creates. And especially deployments where it's just me and the kids...oy.
It's all very theoretical right now. The odds of having RA with a first-degree relative with the disease is about 0.8%, which is really low. So I'm not worried about it, just being my usual self and trying to be prepared for everything possible outcome ahead of time. ;)
Originally Posted by alwayssmile
After the whole thing with Sammy I was pretty much told we shouldn't try for a 3rd and I am coming to terms with that. I don't think I could go through the NICU, etc again for a 3rd time.
My ob suggested Mirena but it seems like more people I know had issues with it.
So I talked to the OB who saw me till i was 13 weeks and I am going to get Aidon(sp?) I need to look up the spelling. I am having it done on the 24th.
I had the Copper IUD for nearly six years. (It last for ten). I loved it. No hormones, no remembering the meds, plus we were broke for quite a long time I didn't have to worry about another bill or accidentally getting pregnant. My doctor left enough of the string on that I could check on it from time to time (my sister has no string to check on her mirena the doc trimmed it off). So I was sure it was in there. My SIL had the mirena placed after her third child and somehow managed to expel it without noticing and got pregnant again. I think if she had been checking on it it wouldn't have been an issue.
I had the Copper IUD after Kostas and I didn't have any problems with it per se and would consider it again but it didn't "stick" and started to expel. So after that we just used NFP and spermicidal films during my fertile periods. It worked really well for 3 years so I plan to do it again. Once we are done having kids I definitely plan on DH getting the big V versus me doing something. But we are like 2-3 kids and 10 years away from that point so I am not worrying about it too much yet.
I had the Mirena for awhile, and LOVED it! After about 3 months I stopped getting periods altogether, and never had any hormonal issues. However we won't be using anything after this baby. We plan to get pregnant about a year after having this baby, so I don't really want to deal with hormonal bc just to get off of it right away again. If I get pregnant sooner...then so be it. The exception to that will be if I get PPD again, we will for sure get on some form of bc. Definitely don't want to be pregnant dealing with PPD.
I'm still debating on tying my tubes, getting the mirena, or going back to depo pro for a few years before I'll probably have to have a full on hysterectomy.